PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Field field replacement begins

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Unbeknownst to everyone involved in the Wrigley project, cement blocks surrounding the bottom parts of the old goal posts from Bears games at Wrigley had been buried under the infield at Wrigley for nearly four decades.

After the Bears played their final game there on Dec. 13, 1970, they tore down the goal posts but decided not to remove the cement blocks underneath the end zones holding the posts in place, covering them with dirt instead.

So what will the Cubs do with these long-lost chunks of Bears history?

"They told me to toss them out," Bossard said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-10/33472106.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-071025cubs,0,1633400.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

IlliniSox4Life
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I wasn't really sure where to post this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071025cubs,1,2022578.story?coll=cs-home-headlines), in the Clubhouse, WTS, or the Bears forum.

Anyway, Bossard has been installing a new field at Wrigley, and one of the Bulldozers happened to hit what turned out to be cement blocks that used to hold up the goalposts for when the Bears played there. It's not often you get a story that involved the Sox, Cubs, and Bears all at once. Interestingly, the Tribune just told him to throw out the cement blocks. Now, considering this town loves the Bears and plenty love the Cubs, I imagine that they could sell of chunks of the cement and make a bit of money. Heck, for $5 I'd buy a brick sized piece to put next to my bricks from Old Comiskey (obviously not under as good of lighting as the Comiskey bricks).

Brian26
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Heck, for $5 I'd buy a brick sized piece to put next to my bricks from Old Comiskey (obviously not under as good of lighting as the Comiskey bricks).

I'd pay $5 for any Dave Kingman relics he can unearth. Or any of Miguel Dilone's jewelry.

ChiSoxFan35
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Side note, I hope he urinates on (or under) it

soxfanreggie
10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Knowing the Flubs, I'm surprised they don't try selling the "playoff grass and dirt" for $100 a bag.

Frontman
10-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Knowing the Flubs, I'm surprised they don't try selling the "playoff grass and dirt" for $100 a bag.

Smoke it if you got it. :wink:

Frontman
10-26-2007, 08:04 AM
I wasn't really sure where to post this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071025cubs,1,2022578.story?coll=cs-home-headlines), in the Clubhouse, WTS, or the Bears forum.

Anyway, Bossard has been installing a new field at Wrigley.

You know it now that if the Cubs have a bad home record next year, Roger is going to get blamed in the media.

Hitmen77
10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Interesting story, but why exactly is Wrigley getting a new playing surface front page (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/pop_up.asp?fpVname=IL_CT&ref_pge=map&tfp_map=USA) news on the Tribune?

Rocky Soprano
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Interesting story, but why exactly is Wrigley getting a new playing surface front page (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/pop_up.asp?fpVname=IL_CT&ref_pge=map&tfp_map=USA) news on the Tribune?

You can't be surprised.

WSox597
10-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Wonder where they're going to hide those other concrete chunks?

You know, the ones the nets catch? Sometimes.

hi im skot
10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
You know it now that if the Cubs have a bad home record next year, Roger is going to get blamed in the media.

:?:

Frontman
10-26-2007, 07:44 PM
:?:

Meaning that it would of been deliberate on Roger's part to "sabotage" the Cubs.

Come on, Flubbie fans believe that a goat, a black cat, and a guy with a radio headset has kept them from winning; they'll blame anything for poor results!

Hendu
10-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Meaning that it would of been deliberate on Roger's part to "sabotage" the Cubs.

Come on, Flubbie fans believe that a goat, a black cat, and a guy with a radio headset has kept them from winning; they'll blame anything for poor results!

If they found a way to blame Sox fans when a patch of the ivy started to get brown a few years ago, they'll find a way to blame Roger for their crappy fielding percentage.

DumpJerry
10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm thinking Roger will install secret trap doors for the Crosstown Classic. I can see it now: Ramirez hits one off the wall for extra bases. While rounding First to get to Second he suddenly disappears! In another incident, Konerko hits a routine fly to Left. Soriano does his hop, drifts to his left, then his right and then disappears! Paulie gets an Inside The Park Home Run as the Center Fielder stands there with a stunned look on his face wondering where his friend went......

Frontman
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking Roger will install secret trap doors for the Crosstown Classic. I can see it now: Ramirez hits one off the wall for extra bases. While rounding First to get to Second he suddenly disappears! In another incident, Konerko hits a routine fly to Left. Soriano does his hop, drifts to his left, then his right and then disappears! Paulie gets an Inside The Park Home Run as the Center Fielder stands there with a stunned look on his face wondering where his friend went......

They could do that. Or Roger could not even wait for the Crosstown series to test my theory. He could dump the concrete cylinders in the Cubs dugout, lay trolley tracks across the field and then put cardboard cutouts of all the Cubs players on the trollies. I doubt the bleacher bums would even notice. (Hell, if he was feeling really froggy, he could put Sammy Sosa back out in RF.)

Either that, or have hydraulics installed that raises the warning track higher than the baskets on any line drive home runs the Cubs hit.

:wink:

MarySwiss
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM

This would actually make a good board game. (I think there was a game a ways back about breaking through the ice or something; this would be similar.) I suggest you give Milton Bradley--no, the other one!--a call and pitch it.

I'll settle for 10% of the take as a steering fee. :tongue:

Frontman
10-26-2007, 10:38 PM
This would actually make a good board game. (I think there was a game a ways back about breaking through the ice or something; this would be similar.) I suggest you give Milton Bradley--no, the other one!--a call and pitch it.

I'll settle for 10% of the take as a steering fee. :tongue:

I've never seen it with baseball, but there is a very good game of combat football in board game form called "Blood Bowl."

DumpJerry
10-26-2007, 10:39 PM
They could do that. Or Roger could not even wait for the Crosstown series to test my theory. He could dump the concrete cylinders in the Cubs dugout, lay trolley tracks across the field and then put cardboard cutouts of all the Cubs players on the trollies. I doubt the bleacher bums would even notice. (Hell, if he was feeling really froggy, he could put Sammy Sosa back out in RF.)

Either that, or have hydraulics installed that raises the warning track higher than the baskets on any line drive home runs the Cubs hit.

:wink:
How about outfield walls that move back 25 feet everytime a Cub hits a long fly ball and move in 50 feet when the visitors do the same? Just deny what is happening and blame it on the beer.

ChiSoxFan35
10-27-2007, 09:46 PM

There were like 4 or 5 different links on this a few days ago on chicagosports.com

Railsplitter
10-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Not in the archeaolical sense, but they were man made objects: the concrete bases for football goalposts that were covered up when the Bears went to Soldier Field.

CLR01
10-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Not in the archeaolical sense, but they were man made objects: the concrete bases for football goalposts that were covered up when the Bears went to Soldier Field.

Really? WOW, that should have breaking news in the title. :rolleyes:

Gammons Peter
10-29-2007, 08:23 AM
All of those people that spread the ashes of loved one on the field at the shrine can now go visit them......at the dump :redneck

vegyrex
10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
All of those people that spread the ashes of loved one on the field at the shrine can now go visit them......at the dump :redneck

No biggie, their loved ones are going from one dump to another. :wink:

Frontman
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
No biggie, their loved ones are going from one dump to another. :wink:

We can't really comment now, can we? I mean, the Sox paved over Paradise and put up a parking lot.......

Red Barchetta
10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Interesting story about how the current field is pitched to drain towards the dugouts and how as a manager you have to stretch your neck to see 1B.

Also, considering they arlready replaced the bleachers and now the field, that leaves only the Grandstands/Concourses as truly original (complete with hanging nets to prevent bricks from falling on the fans).

If they continue to knock down/rebuild the park, can it still be considered the second oldest park in baseball?

DumpJerry
10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Also, considering they arlready replaced the bleachers and now the field, that leaves only the Grandstands/Concourses as truly original (complete with hanging nets to prevent bricks from falling on the fans).
Interesting point you raised. They can't simply replace the grandstand/concouse. If they were to do that, they would have to bring that part of the structure up to the current building code. The current building code does not permit trough urinals in the Boys' Room. Replace those puppies and it is no longer The Urinal, but just another baseball park in America.......

thegooch
11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Bossard comes in ahead of schedule. He must have really wanted to get out of that dump ASAP.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/11/wrigley-field-p.html

jdm2662
11-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Bossard comes in ahead of schedule. He must have really wanted to get out of that dump ASAP.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/11/wrigley-field-p.html

The weather has been beyond nice for this time a year. I'm sure that helped.

Hitmen77
11-16-2007, 04:10 PM

LOL.

Of course, Sully just can't resist getting this line in:

Five of the last seven teams to win the World Series did so on playing fields Bossard either constructed or remade: Boston (twice), Arizona, St. Louis and the White Sox.
Can the ‘Luck of the Sodfather’ continue in 2008?

:rolleyes: I know he was just jesting, but still :rolleyes:.

I don't know why work on Wrigley's playing surface should get so much coverage. Good for them for joining the 21st century, but GMAB - it's not that newsworthy. Visually, fans aren't even going to notice anything different.

bigfoot
11-17-2007, 07:06 PM
There was a TV bit and a small interview w/Roger earlier this week and Roger said there was a memento that was placed on/in the field so that people years from now would remember that Roger's team was there.....

How about a nice

GO SOX!

In the outfield grass!:bandance:

HomeFish
11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Really? WOW, that should have breaking news in the title. :rolleyes:

Hrm? It's ground breaking news in the most literal way possible. :smile: