PDA

View Full Version : Singleton and Farmer will be back

dickallen15
10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Chris Singleton's option was picked up. The radio team will return for at least one more try. Singleton is good at catching foul balls.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Unbelievably short sighted and stupid. This sounds like a decision totally made by Brooks.

He's made a number of good one's...this is not one of them.

Amazing.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071025shermanim,1,264766.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

'Potential' is supposed to be reserved for places like Hickory, Great Falls or even Charlotte, not the 3rd largest market in the country and working for a team that performs at the highest level in that sport.

Lip

Dont Stop Belivn
10-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Chris Singleton's option was picked up. The radio team will return for at least one more try. Singleton is good at catching foul balls.

oh well. i was hoping that they would give someone else a try, but i try not to listen to the games on the radio now-a-days. Its just too brutal

Sockinchisox
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Unbelieveably short sighted and stupid. This sounds like a decision totally made by Brooks.

Amazing.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071025shermanim,1,264766.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

We have bigger things to worry about than who broadcasts our games.

oeo
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Unbelieveably short sighted and stupid. This sounds like a decision totally made by Brooks.

Amazing.

Lip

So where in that article does it say that this was Brooks' decision? :?:

Because he's the only one that was interviewed about it? Where are you getting this from?

DoItForDanPasqua
10-25-2007, 08:38 PM
This is bad news. Both the radio and television announcers are awful. This was their chance to hire a professional, trained broadcaster to do play-by-play on the radio. They could find the best minor league announcer and bring him or her in.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
OEO:

Because I've spoken to enough folks from the media, the organization and from those who applied the first time who've told me it was his call.

I trust their comments. I don't ask that you do, just telling you where I've heard it from.

Lip

CLR01
10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
"All the haters can kiss my ass. Shady's back, *****ES!!!!!!!!!!!"

:slowswing

Lip Man 1
10-25-2007, 09:26 PM
From what I've heard from a source, Steve Stone was never involved in this.

Now what I don't know, is that was this by the White Sox choice or Stone's?

I don't want to imply anything.

I'm trying to find out if he was even approached, if potentially he asked for to much money, if he was approached and simply said 'no' or if the Sox even considered looking at any other candidates when making this call.

If I can find out anything along these questions I'll pass it along.

So far all we know is that Singleton was re-hired based in part on potential according to Brooks in Ed Sherman's story and that Stone was not involved.

Lip

Brian26
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Unbelievable.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come. So much housecleaning is needed with this team, but I have a feeling a lot of it won't happen.

StillMissOzzie
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
1) I am glad that I only listen to the Sox on the radio when I am in my car.
2) I will make every effort not to be driving when the Sox are playing.

SMO
:o:

Brian26
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
So where in that article does it say that this was Brooks' decision? :?:

Because he's the only one that was interviewed about it? Where are you getting this from?

I wouldn't believe a word from Brooks regarding the Sox broadcasting situation. There were some outright lies spoken about the Rooney fiasco. First it's not the Sox decision (even though they've had full control over the announcers for the last 30 years, except the one season WGN TV wanted Jim Durham to do pbp instead of Hawk), then it's a collaborative decision between WSCR and the Sox, and then he says the Sox have final say.

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 09:31 PM

SMO
:o:

My stereo was stolen from my car so I can go on living another day.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Brian (and others):

From Ed Sherman's interview, for what it's worth:

ML: Let’s talk about one of the areas you specialize in, media reporting. After 2005 John Rooney left the Sox radio booth after eighteen seasons. There was a lot of speculation about why he left, the contract issues, wondering if it was the Sox or WSCR that wouldn’t come up with the money, his desire to return to St. Louis. Can you clear anything up on his situation?

ES: “I think with John it was a lot of attraction to return to his hometown. As far as the money situation I think the White Sox were the one’s that had some issues with his salary request but I can’t say that with 100% accuracy.”

ML: Chris Singleton was hired basically to replace John with Ed Farmer sliding over to do play by play. Singleton had very limited media experience and there are a number of fans who post at White Sox Interactive that he and Farmer simply can’t be listened to. Those fans feel they are that bad. What can you tell us about how Singleton got the job?

ES: “I was surprised when I heard it was going to Singleton, everything I heard said it was going to be Tommy John. I think the Sox wanted a fresh face.”

ML: Who made the decision to hire Chris, WSCR radio or the White Sox?

ES: “I think it was a collaborative effort with the White Sox having more influence in the decision.”

ML: Steve Stone is a name tossed out a lot by fans concerning the possibility of him joining the Sox broadcast team in the future. Singleton’s deal is up after the season. Could Stone be a replacement? Or is his situation in the wake of what happened with the Cubs and his honesty in calling a game ‘red flags’ to the Sox organization?

ES: “There’s a possibility although he won’t come cheap. Considering the way the season has gone hiring Stone would be a real off season publicity boost.”

“Concerning his situation with the Cubs, I think that was something that Dusty Baker let get out of control. And I’ve never considered Steve at any time a ‘ripper’ like some other members of the media. He’s just calling the game and adding insight.”

Lip

MeteorsSox4367
10-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Exactly.

Farmer was tolerable doing color with a professional broadcaster like Rooney handling play-by-play. As a PBP guy, however, Farmer is just not good.

Bringing back Singleton is just a horrible decision. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but as an announcer he's awful.

The only thing that would make this decision worse is having DJ and Singleton work together. That would make me wish I had an impenetrable buildup of wax in my ears.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
There's another point that hasn't been touched on yet and I think it's important.

If you read Sherman's story it sure sounds like Singleton was given a ONE YEAR deal.

Think about this...he signs an original two year contract then is 'rewarded' with a one year deal.

If true (and I'd bet money that it is) that means Singleton still hasn't convinced Brooks or enough people in the front office that he's the long term answer to this 'problem.'

Basically it sounds like he and Farmer have to make a significant improvement this season or someone is gone..and based on how long Ed has been on the air, I don't think it's going to be him.

Lip

10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Great news! I like Singleton and Farmer.

ChiSoxFan35
10-25-2007, 10:49 PM
This is crap. Just to use Stone as a comparison, even in a crappy year, people went out of their way to listen and it got a lot of good pub. These guys drive people away. Especially after last year, I'm sure ratings aren't great and the ad money they're getting isn't top dollar. I'd rather follow online or a cell phone now. Too bad because baseball on radio should be special, a lot of people grew up on it.

We're owed better after losing out on John Rooney!

Every team in the city has lost a great voice and now every team's commentators are pretty subpar. Agreed, very sad for #3 market

IlliniSox4Life
10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Stone was amazing when he filled in this year. He seemed to know everything that had happened and was going to happen. I would be in favor of anything that brings him into any booth for the Sox.

Frontman
10-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Yikes. Don't know if this is a GOOD thing or not. Although, with it only being one year, it might be for the hope that he either improves a lot; or he could be on his way out.

I'd like to say that he's going to get better, but I'm not so sure. As bad as he can be at times during the broadcast, his segments on "White Sox Weekly" is horrendous.

He's so bad, I'd rather tune in to Mike Murphy's show when Steve Stone is on.

As far as getting the "Stone Pony;" I wouldn't hold our collective breaths. He's making good money with WSCR and his coverage of MLB as a whole.

Although its a fun dream to have, I wouldn't count on it ever happening.

alohafri
10-26-2007, 07:35 AM
With his apparent move to Jack-FM, there goes my dream of an Ed Farmer/Steve Dahl partnership!

Bucky F. Dent
10-26-2007, 07:36 AM
That just stinks!!!

Overall our announcing teams just plain stink!

Frontman
10-26-2007, 08:00 AM
With his apparent move to Jack-FM, there goes my dream of an Ed Farmer/Steve Dahl partnership!

If that would of happened, do you think Ed would leave the booth for an inning or two like he does on Singelton?

FedEx227
10-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Farmer brings down the telecast more than Singleton?

alohafri
10-26-2007, 08:14 AM
If that would of happened, do you think Ed would leave the booth for an inning or two like he does on Singelton?

If you have ever heard Ed on Steve's show, I doubt it. Farmer could talk to Steve all day...Steve may be the one leaving for an inning or two...with Ed still talking to him!

Frontman
10-26-2007, 08:19 AM
If you have ever heard Ed on Steve's show, I doubt it. Farmer could talk to Steve all day...Steve may be the one leaving for an inning or two...with Ed still talking to him!

LOL. I actually think this has happened to Ed, more than he'd like to admit. If you get him wound up, he'll go for a good long time talking baseball.

soxfanatlanta
10-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Time to let that XM membership expire; listening to Farmer and Singleton were brutal. :mad:

skobabe8
10-26-2007, 09:08 AM
This news sucks.

Fenway
10-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Meanwhile Jerry Trupiano waits for some team to call him.

Boyer doesn't have a clue when it comes to broadcasting.

skobabe8
10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Meanwhile Jerry Trupiano waits for some team to call him.

Boyer doesn't have a clue when it comes to broadcasting.

Neither do I but its obvious if you just LISTEN! Why is this so difficult?!

BTW, congrats on 15,000 Fenway! Thats IMPRESSIVE!! :supernana:

thedudeabides
10-26-2007, 10:04 AM
There's another point that hasn't been touched on yet and I think it's important.

If you read Sherman's story it sure sounds like Singleton was given a ONE YEAR deal.

Think about this...he signs an original two year contract then is 'rewarded' with a one year deal.

If true (and I'd bet money that it is) that means Singleton still hasn't convinced Brooks or enough people in the front office that he's the long term answer to this 'problem.'

Basically it sounds like he and Farmer have to make a significant improvement this season or someone is gone..and based on how long Ed has been on the air, I don't think it's going to be him.

Lip

I appreciate your input Lip. I would love Stone, but never expected him to sign on. Do you think the road block would be his interest in Cub's ownership or money?

Lip Man 1
10-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Here is some updated news this morning.

A source who is intimately connected with baseball and the business of broadcasting baseball told me they were very "surprised" upon hearing this news.

They said that all they were hearing was that Singleton was out and Stone was going to be moved in to replace him.

This person immediately speculated that money was probably the issue that prevented this from happening.

They also said that they know that Farmer was still having issues with Singleton.
-----
Now consider this point. The two have worked roughly 350 games together in the past two years, including exhibition games and the 'chemistry' by all accounts is still poor.

Folks I can tell you personally that it doesn't take that long of time to find out if two announcers are going to mix well or not.

If they haven't by now, they aren't.

For the Sox to think that they will, tells me that something else went on in the background involving all this, and they are trying to save some face.

I have some ideas but I'll keep them to myself until I can prove something one way or another.

Lip

Dick Allen
10-26-2007, 11:54 AM
If this is supposed to be a first class organization (and maybe they aren't), they should treat their fans to professional-level broadcasting like we deserve. No matter what is or isn't going on behind the scenes, they are not treating us with any respect.

SoxfaninLA
10-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Farmer brings down the telecast more than Singleton?

Nope, Farmer has been an absolute anchor on that duo, he 's been horrible, and I used to like Farmer quite a bit.

I must be the only one that doesn't really care for Stone. He just comes across as a know it all, but that may partially come from the way he acts when he is on the Score for his weekly baseball segments.

alohafri
10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
LOL. I actually think this has happened to Ed, more than he'd like to admit. If you get him wound up, he'll go for a good long time talking baseball.

Mrs. Aloha and I were at Sox Fest a couple years ago, heading to the bar to meet some people and we ran into Ed. We started talking Notre Dame football with him. 45 minutes later, we finally made it to the bar!

Luke
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I'd feel a small bit better about this if they could promise that Singleton would never do play by play. That just hurts my ears. Farmio's play by play isn't great, but he sounds like Milo Hamilton or Ernie Harwell after an inning with Chris.

Isn't Stone supposed to be in line for a GM job with a couple of the investment groups looking at the Cubs? I'm sure that meant he was A. Not interested in a possible broadcast job, or B. Interested, but at a really high price.

dickallen15
10-26-2007, 12:14 PM

Lip
I think they just exercised the option in the original contract.

LITTLE NELL
10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Is there any chance that Stone could wind up on the TV side. He did a great job last summer subbing for DJ.

Fenway
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
The announcers at AAA Pawtucket are far better than Framer and Singleton.

Maybe they want the radio team to be so bad that you go to the ballpark not to hear them.

Frontman
10-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Mrs. Aloha and I were at Sox Fest a couple years ago, heading to the bar to meet some people and we ran into Ed. We started talking Notre Dame football with him. 45 minutes later, we finally made it to the bar!

That's why Farmio doesn't bother me in the booth that much. One of those nice guys who went recognized, appreciates the fans and is just "one of us" when it comes down to it.

October26
10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
That's why Farmio doesn't bother me in the booth that much. One of those nice guys who went recognized, appreciates the fans and is just "one of us" when it comes down to it.

Yep. This is how I feel about Farmio as well. I remember when he pitched for the Sox; he is approachable, and easy to talk to (I did that at Soxfest once back in the day when it was still affordable); he is not full of himself AND he sounds excited when he calls plays for the White Sox. My only problem with Singleton is that he sounds more excited about calling the OPPOSING teams plays than our own. I liked Singleton as a player but I feel he needs to get more experience doing play by play on the home team's call. Do I want a hometown call when I listen to White Sox games? Absolutely!

It's Dankerific
10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
As a fan in LA who has tried to listen to the broadcast when mlb.tv (or extra innings) doesnt carry the sox game for some reason, I am very disappointed by this news. As many have said, I dont have anything against Singleton the man, but as an announcer he makes it unbearable to listen to the game, under any circumstances. It could be the last game of the year with the playoffs on the line and if I couldnt watch it on TV, I would rather wait for yahoo! sports to slowly inform me of the progress.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Luke:

The Tribune ran a story a few weeks ago where Stone was quoted as saying that under no circumstances would he even be remotely interested in a G.M. position anywhere, even for the Cubs.

Lip

thedudeabides
10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Luke:

The Tribune ran a story a few weeks ago where Stone was quoted as saying that under no circumstances would he even be remotely interested in a G.M. position anywhere, even for the Cubs.

Lip
?
Well that throws up a new one. Is he interested in a job? Not as a GM?

BainesHOF
10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Maybe the Sox re-signed Singleton to play center field.

Seriously, though, the chemistry might improve if Farmer would stop trying to play big man in the booth and stop jagging around Singleton. There's no doubt Farmer has helped him, but Farmer never fails to remind Singleton who's the boss in the booth in a multitude of immature ways.

russ99
10-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Maybe the Sox re-signed Singleton to play center field.

Seriously, though, the chemistry might improve if Farmer would stop trying to play big man in the booth and stop jagging around Singleton. There's no doubt Farmer has helped him, but Farmer never fails to remind Singleton who's the boss in the booth in a multitude of immature ways.

Absolutely agree, and I'm actually glad the Sox are giving Singleton an extended shot. I really like Farmer, but I also think Chris might do a better job with a more professional broadcaster.

Also, I can imagine the train-wreck if Stone and Farmer were in the booth together, each of which would have reasons to think they're the #1 guy and both guys are very vocal about it.

Fenway
10-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I sent an e-mail to Brooks and to his credit he replied

As always, good or bad, I appreciate the feedback.

No reason for me to hide from this as I do believe that Farmer and Singleton have become a much better listen I am willing to give it another season.

I am not saying I disagree with all of your points. Some are valid in my opinion. Hopefully you can trust me when I tell you that there is a lot more that goes into decisions like these than what appears on the surface.

Please know that as a White Sox fan, I have a strong desire to have everything be the best..our team, our ballpark, our ballpark experience, and our broadcasts ...It is also good for the White Sox professionally. The decions I make or ones that are made collectively are always open to debate by fans (this email alone can be debated). No way to make everyone happy all of the time. It is part of the job. It is part of the reason that I enjoy doing what I do.

I know my explanation or response may not make you feel any better, but I would rather shoot you straight than hide from our fans.

Take care,

Brooks

To: "Brooks Boyer" <bboyer@chisox.com>
Sent: 10/26/2007 12:11 PM
Subject: You can't be serious

Another year of Singleton????

White Sox radio is the worst in MLB (having XM I have heard them all) =
Farmer
is a OK #2 voice but he needs someone like Rooney to keep him in check. =
No
way should Ed be the lead announcer.

There are AAA teams with better announcers than the White Sox.

Fans are not happy

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3D94083

Lip Man 1
10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Brooks must have gotten a lot of e-mails as he still hasn't responded to mine. Maybe I'm on his 'bad' list.

What is clear from his response however is that this was his call. That should silence those who were wondering about who made this decision. He specifically said "I" a number of times, much more then talking about 'collectively.'

And again you are left to wonder about what is meant by Brooks stating, "hopefully you can trust me when I tell you that there is a lot more that goes into decisions like these than what appears on the surface."

What can he be implying? money or salary? ethnic background? broadcasting experience? I don't know but it's apparently out there.

Lip

Fenway
10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Brooks must have gotten a lot of e-mails as he still hasn't responded to mine. Maybe I'm on his 'bad' list.

What is clear from his response however is that this was his call. That should silence those who were wondering about who made this decision.

And again you are left to wonder about what is meant by Brooks stating, "hopefully you can trust me when I tell you that there is a lot more that goes into decisions like these than what appears on the surface."

What can he be implying? money or salary? ethnic background? broadcasting experience? I don't know but it's apparently out there.

Lip

I am not saying I disagree with all of your points. Some are valid in my opinion.

I am curious on what he thought my valid points were. I was pretty blunt in my email to him

gobears1987
10-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Exactly.

Farmer was tolerable doing color with a professional broadcaster like Rooney handling play-by-play. As a PBP guy, however, Farmer is just not good.

Farmer's PBP just sickens me. Whenever I'm at a game, I always make jokes with the people around me how "Pods can tie it here with a blast" or "we need a bloop and a blast here."

All Farmer does is predict homeruns.

gobears1987
10-26-2007, 02:14 PM
No. Singleton sucks, but I can't deal with Farmer's tendency to predict bloops, blasts, and slams with every AB.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Dude:

There has been speculation that Stone may be trying to get into the new ownership group when the Cubs are sold. As I said though at the time, if that's the case it would be simple for the Sox or Stone to have put in an 'out' clause in his deal if this were to happen.

There has also been speculation that the sale may not go through for another year to which I said 'well Stone has to eat just like the rest of us...'

WSCR radio and the occasional games he does for ESPN can't be paying him that much, certainly not even close to what he would make doing the games for an entire season.

This area may be another one of those things that Brooks mentioned in his reply to Fenway about 'there's a lot more...then appears on the surface..'

Lip

russ99
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
If I may, I'd like to interject some speculation here.

I wonder if the reasoning behind this move have something to do with grooming a replacement if DJ or even Hawk (hopefully not, but he's getting up there...) leaves the Sox.

I'd think Singleton may do a much better job on TV where the announcer doesn't have to "paint a picture" to the viewer, as they do on radio.

soxrme
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree with you, Farmer is just not a play by play guy and seems to bait Singleton to make mistakes. He should go.

jabrch
10-26-2007, 02:54 PM
It must suck to dislike listening to the Sox as much as some of you do.

I don't care if it is Daffy Freaking Duck - as long as I hear the games. I spent two years living on a continent where we had 1 baseball game per week - so I have no issues with suboptimal coverage.

AZChiSoxFan
10-26-2007, 03:18 PM

:rolleyes: + :whiner: + :angry: + :mad: + :puking:+<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

AZChiSoxFan
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Great news! I like Singleton and Farmer.

:o::?:

VenturaFan23
10-26-2007, 03:39 PM

Hell no! Farmer is absolutely brutal as a PBP announcer with his monotone, unemotional voice and his obvious "predictions". His 'I know everything' attitude is annoying as well. Singletion sucks too, but at least his voice doesn't want to make me jam a fork into my eye! I just can't bring myself to listen to them in my car unless there's an intense moment in the game.

Brian26
10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I am curious on what he thought my valid points were. I was pretty blunt in my email to him

If anyone else gets a reply, it might be interesting to see if the response varies at all.

Brian26
10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
I'd think Singleton may do a much better job on TV where the announcer doesn't have to "paint a picture" to the viewer, as they do on radio.

Paint a picture? I have little confidence that Singleton could color between the lines with his box of Crayola 64.

Rooney deserved every penny he wanted.

ilsox7
10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Paint a picture? I have little confidence that Singleton could color between the lines with his box of Crayola 64.

Rooney deserved every penny he wanted.

I really think Rooney was headed to St. Louis no matter what.

Brian26
10-26-2007, 06:02 PM
As a fan in LA who has tried to listen to the broadcast when mlb.tv (or extra innings) doesnt carry the sox game for some reason, I am very disappointed by this news. As many have said, I dont have anything against Singleton the man, but as an announcer he makes it unbearable to listen to the game, under any circumstances. It could be the last game of the year with the playoffs on the line and if I couldnt watch it on TV, I would rather wait for yahoo! sports to slowly inform me of the progress.

There were times this summer when I was in the car and literally had to turn the radio off because Singleton was so bad. On his own, Singleton is awful. With Farmer, it becomes annoyingly awful.

Brian26
10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I really think Rooney was headed to St. Louis no matter what.

I disagree. If the Sox asked Rooney, after seventeen years of service, to give them a chance to match any offer the Cardinals put on the table, I believe he would have stayed here.

He grew up in Missouri, so there's no doubt he had a soft spot for that area. The Sox offer apparently was so insulting that his decision was very easy.

FedEx227
10-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Glad I'm not alone in the hate for Farmer.

There's more to doing play-by-play then saying that the Sox down 6-1, only need a few bloops and a blast and it's a ballgame folks.

Plus, anytime Singleton TRIES to inject an actual point Farmer just puts it down, or ignores it.

They are brutal as a team. Blow the whole thing up.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I disagree. If the Sox asked Rooney, after seventeen years of service, to give them a chance to match any offer the Cardinals put on the table, I believe he would have stayed here.

I'll go you one better. I believe the price of matching the Cardinals' best offer would have been worth every dime the Sox would have to pay Rooney -- and the pathetic tandem of Farmer/Singleton is Exhibit A to prove my point.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Folks:

I just got this e-mail at the top of the hour from a person who I had contacted on this matter last night and earlier today.

I pass it along as is, except that I deleted the last few lines that would give away who they are.

The person is closely connected with MLB and the business of broadcasting games.

You can accept it or reject it as you so choose. I'd give it serious mind though considering who the individual is:
-----

Mark:

What I know about Steve Stone, from both someone on the inside, and from WSCR, both VERY close to the situation was that Stone was in the mix... so much so that they considering doing the old 6 innings on radio, 3 on TV thing... the thought process was get Stone in the fold now! and then make the full time switch to TV for '09.

I'm sure money was a factor along with the outside shot that Stone could still be part of a new management team with the Cubs.

I am not fully aware of all the details of Chris' deal... but I think it was five 1-year deals where the TEAM has the option to pick you up for the next season.

---

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2007, 06:37 PM
It must suck to dislike listening to the Sox as much as some of you do.

Was this really necessary? Your notion that any **** is good **** as long as it's White Sox **** is absurd.

If Farmer sucks (and he does) then it's no crime to point it out. As for Singleton, I feel sorry for the bastard trying to learn the job while sharing the booth with that career mediocrity sitting next to him.

ilsox7
10-26-2007, 06:41 PM

He grew up in Missouri, so there's no doubt he had a soft spot for that area. The Sox offer apparently was so insulting that his decision was very easy.

He implied something different to me when I saw him in a bar in 2006. Then again, I was not sober. And I am not sure if he was.

FedEx227
10-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Was this really necessary? Your notion that any **** is good **** as long as it's White Sox **** is absurd.

You mean like Darin Erstad? Or Greg Walker? Two people you constantly defend despite traditions of ****?

I'm just saying... some of the mods/admins here are very guilty of accepting crap because it's the White Sox or because it's an Ozzie Guillen decision.

I don't want to turn this into a huge war, but double-standard indeed.

ilsox7
10-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Folks:

I just got this e-mail at the top of the hour from a person who I had contacted on this matter last night and earlier today.

I pass it along as is, except that I deleted the last few lines that would give away who they are.

The person is closely connected with MLB and the business of broadcasting games.

You can accept it or reject it as you so choose. I'd give it serious mind though considering who the individual is:
-----

Mark:

What I know about Steve Stone, from both someone on the inside, and from WSCR, both VERY close to the situation was that Stone was in the mix... so much so that they considering doing the old 6 innings on radio, 3 on TV thing... the thought process was get Stone in the fold now! and then make the full time switch to TV for '09.

I'm sure money was a factor along with the outside shot that Stone could still be part of a new management team with the Cubs.

I am not fully aware of all the details of Chris' deal... but I think it was five 1-year deals where the TEAM has the option to pick you up for the next season.

---

Lip

If they truly would not hire Stone b/c of money, it's sad. His broadcasts this year were the only ones worth listening to. Hawk's act has grown old and is only listen-able when the team is going well. DJ is horrid and is not getting any better. I do not listen to the radio, but I know that Farmer was awful years ago and the tidbits I've heard of him lately have not shown any improvement. The broadcast teams the White Sox employ truly suck, save for Hawk's ability to call big moments and come up with catchphrases.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2007, 06:44 PM
You mean like Darin Erstad? Or Greg Walker? Two people you constantly defend despite traditions of ****?

You honestly think I defended Erstad and Walker because they were White Sox?

You have a reading problem.

:cool:

Fenway
10-26-2007, 06:56 PM
What I find curious is that in my email to Boyer I said 2 things. I said Farmer was a good #2 man who needs a pro like Rooney to keep him in check. I also said Farmer is NOT a #1 voice. Boyer said some of my points were valid. The logic escapes me. Yankees radio is brutal as well but Sterling and Dame Edna are listenable. Sox radio is not

Brian26
10-26-2007, 07:36 PM
What I find curious is that in my email to Boyer I said 2 things. I said Farmer was a good #2 man who needs a pro like Rooney to keep him in check. I also said Farmer is NOT a #1 voice. Boyer said some of my points were valid. The logic escapes me.

Unless Boyer sent you a form letter response. If you go back and read it again, the response itself was somewhat generic.

whitesoxfan
10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
The worst broadcast booth in all of baseball returns. I can't wait!

jabrch
10-27-2007, 09:16 AM

If Farmer sucks (and he does) then it's no crime to point it out. As for Singleton, I feel sorry for the bastard trying to learn the job while sharing the booth with that career mediocrity sitting next to him.

George - I'm not saying it is "good".

I'm just saying that the level of misery that some people are expressing about the voices that cover the game is really surprising to me. Some people just don't see themselves as fortunate to be able to hear games every day.

I don't really care much about the announcers - so long as I hear the game. Try going two years without being able to hear a game at all. You will get a totally different appreciation for the importance of a broadcaster.

There are a lot of things I don't like about the Sox - but I just don't burn energy *****ing about things that I can't change, and I don't like putting out negative energy over something that is purely a subjective matter of preference. I've learned to save negativity for things that matter.

As far as "is it necesary" - that's a good question. If that's the standard now, and we are going to apply it to each post and each thread, West can cut down his planned server requirements for 2008. In fact, your accusation that I think any Sox **** is good **** because it is the Sox would warrant that same question - no?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2007, 09:30 AM
As far as "is it necesary" - that's a good question. If that's the standard now, and we are going to apply it to each post and each thread, West can cut down his planned server requirements for 2008. In fact, your accusation that I think any Sox **** is good **** because it is the Sox would warrant that same question - no?

Amusing... I get attacked on one side for being too negative and on the other side for not being negative enough. I'm guessing I'm right where I need to be.

And all of this over one simple point: Ed Farmer is a horrible announcer. Who wudda thunk it?
:wink:

If you want to stick up for him, go ahead and try. I admire your efforts to convince somebody who actually did live away from Chicago for over 2 years that we all are all so lucky to have Farmer's presence.

There's a big difference between wasting time not being negative and wasting time making an impossible point.

FedEx227
10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Amusing... I get attacked on one side for being too negative and on the other side for not being negative enough. I'm guessing I'm right where I need to be.

And all of this over one simple point: Ed Farmer is a horrible announcer. Who wudda thunk it?
:wink:

If you want to stick up for him, go ahead and try. I admire your efforts to convince somebody who actually did live away from Chicago for over 2 years that we all are all so lucky to have Farmer's presence.

There's a big difference between wasting time not being negative and wasting time making an impossible point.

Oh well if you think Farmer is horrible, then I'm with ya. Argument over.

slavko
10-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Folks:

-----

Mark:

---

Lip

This sounds very, very logical considering the events of the past season. What I would like to know is, was there an offer made? A hint of an offer? By whom to whom? Was it rejected or counteroffered? Not knowing these things, we can't assume the rest.

Fenway
10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
This sounds very, very logical considering the events of the past season. What I would like to know is, was there an offer made? A hint of an offer? By whom to whom? Was it rejected or counteroffered? Not knowing these things, we can't assume the rest.

Well whatever happened was quick and to the point. Otherwise the 2 sides would be talking still.

jabrch
10-27-2007, 04:11 PM
If you want to stick up for him, go ahead and try.

George, if you show me where I stuck up for Ed Farmer as an announcer, I'd appreciate it.

I lived in rural Argentina for 2 years, and saw maybe one game a week. I might have caught one or two sox games each year. The best I could do (long before the internet was matured) was to make up my own play by play from a box score.

Farmer isn't good - but if I am going to ***** about something, it won't be the Sox announcers.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2007, 04:40 PM
George, if you show me where I stuck up for Ed Farmer as an announcer, I'd appreciate it.

No, you just ripped everyone for the crime of stating the obvious... that Farmer and Singleton aren't good. And now you're mad at me for calling you on it? Go figure...

I lived in rural Argentina for 2 years, and saw maybe one game a week.

I lived in rural Ohio (sic) for 2 years and I can appreciate how much better you had it in Argentina where those who found out you were from Chicago didn't immediately ask you, "How 'bout those Cubbies?" or get belligerent and declare, "Sox suck. Go Tribe."

jabrch
10-27-2007, 05:05 PM
No, you just ripped everyone for the crime of stating the obvious... that Farmer and Singleton aren't good. And now you're mad at me for calling you on it? Go figure...

I'm not mad. Not sure how you got to that. But if you can tell me where I said that Farmer was good, I'd appreciate it. All I said that you called me out for was something about how much some people dislike listening to Sox coverage as being surprising. I'm unclear why you are making this into more than that.

I lived in rural Ohio (sic) for 2 years and I can appreciate how much better you had it in Argentina where those who found out you were from Chicago didn't immediately ask you, "How 'bout those Cubbies?" or get belligerent and declare, "Sox suck. Go Tribe."

I got, "Chicago? Al Capone - Bang Bang" or due to the timing I was out there, "Chicago - Michael Jordan!!!!!"

And I think with that - I'm going to quit arguing with a mod while I am likely behind... :D:

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Seriously, jabrch wasn't saying all things Sox are great, and he wasn't defending Farmer and Singleton. He was just expressing something that I was thinking, surprise at how wrapped up people get in who the announcers are. I just listen to the game to find out what's going on. Sometimes they annoy me when they start talking about everything but the game (particularly golf) but I just shrugged at the news that they'll be back. I certainly can't whip myself into a high dudgeon over it.

Noneck
10-28-2007, 12:24 AM
The quality and type of announcers is dependent upon how good the team is.
In 05 Harrelson was tolerable, this year he wasn't. Farmer was tolerable in 05 but wasn't with this years team. The only pair that was tolerable when the Sox were crap was Harry and Jimmy. They were genuinely amusing and seemed to feel the same pain the fans did when watching stiffs on the field.

jabrch
10-28-2007, 09:37 AM
The quality and type of announcers is dependent upon how good the team is.
In 05 Harrelson was tolerable, this year he wasn't. Farmer was tolerable in 05 but wasn't with this years team. The only pair that was tolerable when the Sox were crap was Harry and Jimmy. They were genuinely amusing and seemed to feel the same pain the fans did when watching stiffs on the field.

That's a great point Noneck - and it goes for most of what we do here at WSI. I missed all the *****ing in 2005. I missed it because it wasn't around because we were winning.

If we won the WS, and they announced Farmer and Singleton were back, they'd still suck, and nobody would care.

viagracat
10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I must be the only one that doesn't really care for Stone. He just comes across as a know it all, but that may partially come from the way he acts when he is on the Score for his weekly baseball segments.

Stone comes across like a know-it-all because dang; he does know it all.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-28-2007, 03:20 PM
And I think with that - I'm going to quit arguing with a mod while I am likely behind...
:D:

No worries, jabrch. Nobody here should worry because I don't operate that way.

jabrch
10-28-2007, 03:30 PM
No worries, jabrch. Nobody here should worry because I don't operate that way.

I know you are always fair about things George - I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I get your point - I hope you see mine as well.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2007, 09:19 PM
As you know I've been dealing with two sources on this issue.

One is a member of the mainstream Chicago media. The other is closely involved in the business of broadcasting baseball.

I posted that individuals comments about this episode earlier in the thread.

I heard back from the Chicago media member tonight who went back to his people with WSCR and told them the comments of the guy involved with baseball broadcasting.

WSCR strongly denied Stone was EVER involved in all this.

I don't know what to say...obviously both individuals can't be telling the truth can they?

Assuming for a moment this latest denial from WSCR radio is true, how could Steve Stone NOT have been involved?

That's insane. No disrespect to Chris Singleton but he isn't even in the same stadium (no pun intended) with Stone as a broadcaster.

This gets stranger and stranger.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Folks:

-----

Mark:

---

Lip

Thanks Lip. If this is in fact true (and I believe it is), then I just want to hurl.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 11:31 AM
No disrespect to Chris Singleton but he isn't even in the same stadium (no pun intended) with Stone as a broadcaster.

Why do you say "no disrespect to CS"?

The guy deserves to be disrespected.

paciorek1983
10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
This is bad news. Both the radio and television announcers are awful. This was their chance to hire a professional, trained broadcaster to do play-by-play on the radio. They could find the best minor league announcer and bring him or her in.

Not being sexist, but I don't like female announcers, especially when they have that "I'm trying to sound like a man and exaggerate my "esse's" quality.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
If I had to guess trying to sum up or figure out what happened, I'd tend to think that in fact WSCR radio never even considered Stone because of what it would cost.

I mean one of my sources told me that when WSCR got the rights to the Sox they tried to cut the salaries of both John Rooney and Ed Farmer. That the White Sox had to step in and prevent that from happening.

(And you wonder why Rooney left? Maybe it wasn't all this 'I'd like to go back to St. Louis stuff...')

If they wanted to cut Rooney and Farmer I guess it would be unrealistic to think they'd be willing to pay Stone, who was making more with the Cubs then Rooney and Farmer put together.

Lip

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Maybe they figure by keeping Farmer and Singleton, they will have a back up CF and a veteran RHP available for the stretch run, or if this off-season's pick ups do not work out.

Steelrod
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Chicago isn't exactly media central. All eight announcers on both sides of town are average or below average at best!

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Chicago isn't exactly media central. All eight announcers on both sides of town are average or below average at best!

http://www.markdroberts.com/images/Crowe-face-punch-3.jpg

Ouch, I felt that one!

Martinigirl
10-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Not being sexist, but I don't like female announcers, especially when they have that "I'm trying to sound like a man and exaggerate my "esse's" quality.

How is that not sexist?

To the topic at hand, I actually like Singleton a lot more than Farmer. Farmer can be incredibly rude and dismissive to Chris. If they are going to be partners, Farmer could at least attempt to get along and not be so condescending to the person he is in the booth with.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2007, 07:41 PM
To the topic at hand, I actually like Singleton a lot more than Farmer. Farmer can be incredibly rude and dismissive to Chris. If they are going to be partners, Farmer could at least attempt to get along and not be so condescending to the person he is in the booth with.

Thank you. I completely agree. Singleton is being thrown to the wolves trying to learn a color man's job while sharing the booth with that complete ignoramus Farmer. He was barely tolerable as Rooney's sidekick, but only because Rooney commanded enough of Farmer's respect that he knew when to shut up. Singleton by contrast gets no such treatment from Farmer now that this career mediocrity gets to call the shots.

I'm not sure Singleton will ever be good but I already KNOW Farmer sucks.

doublem23
10-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Meanwhile, I still shed a tear every time I hear John Rooney call a Cardinals game down here.

:whiner:

Ugh.

wdelaney72
10-30-2007, 08:05 AM

Cubs or no Cubs, Pat Hughes is a quality PBP broadcaster... especially considering the goof next to him. Also, Len Kasper is decent enough. Nothing to get excited about, but he's certainly an upgrade over their previous TV PBP guy... although, he's kind of "fun bad". I still laugh when I hear the clip "A gullywasher here in Chicago".

skobabe8
10-30-2007, 09:15 AM
How is that not sexist?

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

I dont like female announcers either. I'm not sexist, but their voices cut through me like a cold January wind.

paciorek1983
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
:angry::angry::angry::angry:

I dont like female announcers either. I'm not sexist, but their voices cut through me like a cold January wind.

The only announcer-type female I like is Kerry Sayers. She does a good job as an anchor without trying to sound like a man or over exaggerate her words.

SI1020
10-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I never heard a female sportscaster that I liked. However there may be a few of them that are superior to Farmer and Singleton individually and in tandem. I no longer listen to Sox radio broadcasts, and will not as long as those two are in the booth.

johnr1note
10-31-2007, 04:20 PM
After Fenway posted his response from Brooks Boyer, I sent a message to him about my opinion of the Sox radio team.

I did not hold back. I sent him about 4 pages worth of material, which, in a nutshell, made the following points in excruciating detail:

1) Ed Farmer is the worst PBP announcer in the big leagues
2) Singleton is in way over his head -- he doesn't have what it takes to be an announcer.
3) I went into specific examples of how bad Ed and Chris are, and compared them to much more competent radio teams I enjoy on XM, or past announcers who knew what they were doing. In particular, I complained about the lack of "keeping up with the full picture" (i.e. relaying the score, number of outs, men on, the count, etc.) during an inning.
4) Finally, I complained at length that the worst part of all this was the move of the White Sox to the cesspool that is WSCR. It in broadcasting embarrassment, and the White Sox should not be associated with it, and that I believed the move to WSCR would ultimately sour Sox fans on the broadcasts.

Brooks took a few days to reply, but to his credit, he did, and this is what he said:
Thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate it good or bad.

Although I disagree with some of your points, your overall feeling is understood and respected. Since we have announced that we have picked up Singleton’s option, I have received e-mails from both sides, some criticizing the move and others praising it. It is one of those situations where you cannot make everyone happy all of the time.

I plan to share your e-mail and all of the others with Chris, Ed and Mitch Rosen at WSCR so we can all collectively get better.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Brooks and his wife just had a child (boy) and moved into a new home which is why it's taken him longer to respond then usual. He did get back with me along the same lines as above.

What I did find extremely interesting is that Brooks plans to share the e-mails with the above mentioned parties.

If he's being legit (and knowing Brooks I think he means it) that should make for some SPIRITED discussions to say the least!

Lip

Mohoney
10-31-2007, 10:43 PM

You're not the only one. I'm fully with you.

DannyCaterFan
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Either Chris Singleton or Ed Farmer would be good color men, as long as they had a good play by play voice in the booth with them, someone perhaps like a John Rooney!:angry:

kobo
11-03-2007, 12:30 PM
4) Finally, I complained at length that the worst part of all this was the move of the White Sox to the cesspool that is WSCR. It in broadcasting embarrassment, and the White Sox should not be associated with it, and that I believed the move to WSCR would ultimately sour Sox fans on the broadcasts.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't see how the Sox being on WSCR is going to cause Sox fans to not tune in to listen to games. Does it really matter what station they are on as long as you can hear the game? I'm glad they moved to the Score because my reception of AM1000 at night is horrible. At least now if I need to I can listen to a game. I was also able to listen to a game last summer driving home from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan.

Coach Ice
11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I love listening to Farmer in the booth; it's Singleton I can do without.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Farmer brings down the telecast more than Singleton?You're not the only one. I'm fully with you.

Make that three.

Farmer should never have been offered the play-by-play job. Making him P-B-P man not only screwed up the Sox radio descriptions, but it has made it impossible to assess how good (or bad) Chris Singleton might truly be as color man. He can't help but sound bad sitting next to that ignoramus!

Farmer is a cancer. He's been one for years. How he still has a job with the Sox is beyond me.

johnr1note
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
What does this have to do with anything? I don't see how the Sox being on WSCR is going to cause Sox fans to not tune in to listen to games. Does it really matter what station they are on as long as you can hear the game? I'm glad they moved to the Score because my reception of AM1000 at night is horrible. At least now if I need to I can listen to a game. I was also able to listen to a game last summer driving home from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan.

The problem is, you don't just tune in to the flagship to listen to the games, you go there for information on your team. White Sox weekly on Saturday. Breaking news when there's a rumored trade or something else "hot" happening. Pre-game and post game shows. Scheduled interviews with team personnel during the morning and afternoon drive broadcasts. This forces us to listen to the rest of WSCR's lineup, its advertising, and its atmosphere. And I'm sorry, I can't stand the classless, boorish, and insipid rantings of Mike North, the childishness of Mike Murphy, and the stilted arrogance of the afternoon drive team. And considering the depths to which these on-air personalities will allow their conversation to sink, along with the ads for male sexual enhancement, gentlemen's clubs and the like, I can't allow my kids to listen to it.

I do listen to every Sox game on the radio -- but thanks to XM, I don't have to put up with Farmer/Singleton or WSCR when the Sox are on the road.

wdelaney72
11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Make that three.

+4

Farmer is serviceable at best for color analysis. He's absoluately brutal as PBP.

I don't think Singleton is that bad. He's not great, but we'll never know considering his PBP counterpart blows.