PDA

View Full Version : Indians are furious over 2008 schedule

Fenway
10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
MLB really did screw them

Open in March against the White Sox then go out west

Now here is something I have never heard of before. Boston only plays TWO games in Cleveland in 08 but gets the Indians 4 times in Boston.

2 games? :?:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/tentative.jsp?c_id=cle&year=2008

MUsoxfan
10-25-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.thelineupcard.com/img/clevesnow3.jpg

Might as well book Miller Park now

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 01:44 PM
MLB really did screw them

Open in March against the White Sox then go out west

Now here is something I have never heard of before. Boston only plays TWO games in Cleveland in 08 but gets the Indians 4 times in Boston.

2 games? :?:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/tentative.jsp?c_id=cle&year=2008

Ah, 4 games in Boston. When I first read it, I thought they were going to Boston 4 different times.

Still, that is pretty stupid. Make it 3-3, Cleveland and Boston.

SOXPHILE
10-25-2007, 01:50 PM
It's probably balanced out somewhere in the schedule, where the Indians play another AL East team in a 4 game series in Cleveland, and visit them for a 2 game series.

This year, the Sox hosted the Yankees 2 different times, and only went to New York once. But, they only hosted Oakland once, and had to go out there twice.

PKalltheway
10-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Springtime weather can be really weird (as just about all of us on here already know). On one hand, it can be like the picture you have above in early April, on the other hand, it can be 68 degrees and sunny. You can't try to schedule around mother nature. It's a good thing they scheduled the Indians to play the Sox on Opening Day, seeing as if there is bad weather, it can easily be rescheduled.

oeo
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM

That probably happens once every 20 or so years.

dickallen15
10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
The schedule is really bizarre in 2008. The Brewers with their dome, make 2 trips to Wrigley in April. The Cubs don't play at Milwaukee until the end of July. That's really smart.

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 02:33 PM
The schedule is really bizarre in 2008. The Brewers with their dome, make 2 trips to Wrigley in April. The Cubs don't play at Milwaukee until the end of July. That's really smart.

I'm sure the Brewers love it. More fans will come to a game in July than in April.

thedudeabides
10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't see the problem with the beginning of the schedule. They play the Sox the first three games, so if any get postponed they'll be easy to make up. Then they head out west, which is exactly what everyone was asking for last year after all the cancellations, cold weather teams in warm weather cities to start the year.

Fenway
10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
It's probably balanced out somewhere in the schedule, where the Indians play another AL East team in a 4 game series in Cleveland, and visit them for a 2 game series.

This year, the Sox hosted the Yankees 2 different times, and only went to New York once. But, they only hosted Oakland once, and had to go out there twice.

I have never heard of a team going to a city only once and then only playing 2

Well that is one way to keep Red Sox fans out of your park

Red Barchetta
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I really think they should balance out the divisions with 5 teams each and then schedule interleague play all season. That would hopefully bring more regiona balance into the schedule. Perhaps reduce down to 160 and extend the divisions playoffs to 7 games and ditch this whacky idea of off days during the playoffs and schedule the WS to start 2 days after the Championship series ends. This TV first approach is hurting the game. We might have a "Mr. November" this year. :D:

DumpJerry
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I really think they should balance out the divisions with 5 teams each and then schedule interleague play all season. That would hopefully bring more regiona balance into the schedule. Perhaps reduce down to 160 and extend the divisions playoffs to 7 games and ditch this whacky idea of off days during the playoffs and schedule the WS to start 2 days after the Championship series ends. This TV first approach is hurting the game. We might have a "Mr. November" this year. :D:
Good luck convincing the owners to give the gate from two games. Why so much interleague play? The less, the better IMO.

The TV first approach may be hurting the game when it comes to turning it into Winter ball, but the cha ching from TV is not hurting the teams' bottom lines. While fans may not flock to the park to see their team play an April game in 37 degree temps, they will pay top dollar for the same temps in October.

TDog
10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm sure the Brewers love it. More fans will come to a game in July than in April.

That's why I think the schedule really is (no teal implied) smart. The Cubs will sell out games with the crappiest of weather, whether or not people actually show up to the stadium to sit in the crappy weather. If the game is called, the fans will be screwed with a day-night doubleheader.

You can't predict with certainty what the weather will be like next April. But it would benefit baseball to schedule the Cubs for as many dates as possible where the chances of bad weather is high because the White Sox gate benefits more from good weather.

As for Boston only visiting Cleveland for two games, I'm sure other teams are envious. The less time one has to spend in Cleveland the better.

DumpJerry
10-25-2007, 05:14 PM
As for Boston only visiting Cleveland for two games, I'm sure other teams are envious. The less time one has to spend in Cleveland the better.
Not as envious as those of us who have the Carmines for more than two games in our parks making us feel like the visiting team.

Huisj
10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
So that's what, 4 years in a row that the sox open against Cleveland? Why?

ondafarm
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
The scheduling all gets done years in advance with the placing of teams being the deciding factor. As in, the ALCD #1 team will open against the ALCD #4 team and then head to the ALWD #3 team, etc. Nobody knows who will be in which standing position so the schedule is supposedly up in the air until the last game of the season. The rotation of teams across other divisions is all predetermined by placment of teams, not their specific identity. Thus, the Yanks could get the Sox again for ten games, six in Chicago again in 2009, although they'd probably have to finish more like third.

All this being said, I don't like the scheduling at all, I think a monkey with a calendar and 14 darts could do better.

Iwritecode
10-26-2007, 03:26 PM
The scheduling all gets done years in advance with the placing of teams being the deciding factor. As in, the ALCD #1 team will open against the ALCD #4 team and then head to the ALWD #3 team, etc. Nobody knows who will be in which standing position so the schedule is supposedly up in the air until the last game of the season. The rotation of teams across other divisions is all predetermined by placment of teams, not their specific identity. Thus, the Yanks could get the Sox again for ten games, six in Chicago again in 2009, although they'd probably have to finish more like third.

All this being said, I don't like the scheduling at all, I think a monkey with a calendar and 14 darts could do better.

Years in advance?

I thought I had read somewhere that MLB was going to start using a computer to make up the schedule next year.

Fenway
10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Years in advance?

I thought I had read somewhere that MLB was going to start using a computer to make up the schedule next year.
Baseball is not like football they make a new schedule every year

ondafarm
10-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Years in advance?

It's a multi-year cycle to create the schedule. They do the rotations years in advance (what division will play whom in interleague, the inane characteristics of mixing a four team division with two five team divisions, etc) the exact who gets whom and exact dates and times, day's off, etc get penciled in after the previous year's standing have finalized. That last part they have contracted out and will be turning over to a computer.

Patrick134
10-27-2007, 12:23 AM
It's a multi-year cycle to create the schedule. They do the rotations years in advance (what division will play whom in interleague, the inane characteristics of mixing a four team division with two five team divisions, etc) the exact who gets whom and exact dates and times, day's off, etc get penciled in after the previous year's standing have finalized. That last part they have contracted out and will be turning over to a computer.

And if the computer crashes, Selig breaks out the stratomatic.

Grzegorz
10-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Years in advance?

Great, more important than the computer generating the schedule is who the individual or individuals are writing the application.

Railsplitter
10-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I figured on a March 31 opening for the Sox, but thought it would be in dome or a warm weather town.

markp8867
10-28-2007, 12:48 AM

Why so much interleague play? The less, the better IMO.

The way I understood it, I think he meant that the same number of interleague games played now should be scheduled from April to September instead of during a couple of weeks in late May and June. That way, cold/rainy weather teams can play dome or warm weather teams in the other league during April when it might be helpful. Also they could schedule these teams when they are convenient such as when the Sox play the Angels they could also then play the Dodgers the following series instead of making two separate trips.

kevin57
10-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Cleveland should be a lot more upset about how they blew a 3-1 lead in the ALCS. :rolleyes: