PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-26

Lip Man 1
10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
October 26, 1931 - Sox owner Charles Comiskey dies in his home in Eagle River, Wisconsin. He leaves his entire estate to his son J. Louis Comiskey including the White Sox. His estate is valued at over one and a half million dollars.

October 26, 2005 - On this night the Sox become World Series Champions for the first time since 1917. Freddy Garcia and three relief pitchers shut out the Astros on five hits 1 - 0. The Sox shut out Houston for the final 15 innings in series play. The South Side of Chicago explodes in an orgy of delight as fans celebrate all over the area.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/3d/88/22_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Bowman-card-101-Freddy-Garcia-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ8825010820QQihZ003QQcategoryZ98015QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g)

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ROLAND HEMOND!!! :happybday

Lip

ode to veeck
10-25-2007, 12:48 PM
October 26, 1931 - Sox owner Charles Comiskey dies in his home in Eagle River, Wisconsin. He leaves his entire estate to his son J. Louis Comiskey including the White Sox. His estate is valued at over one and a half million dollars.

October 26, 2005 - On this night the Sox become World Series Champions for the first time since 1917. Freddy Garcia and three relief pitchers shut out the Astros on five hits 1 - 0. The Sox shut out Houston for the final 15 innings in series play. The South Side of Chicago explodes in an orgy of delight as fans celebrate all over the area.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/3d/88/22_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Bowman-card-101-Freddy-Garcia-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ8825010820QQihZ003QQcategoryZ98015QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g)

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ROLAND HEMOND!!! :happybday

Lip

woohoo and winning it on another unexpected HR

October26
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
:smile: Oh happy day – you are here again! 21 years ago, I was a young bride…So many October26’s have passed and here I am – not so young anymore! 2 years ago I witnessed history when my beloved White Sox won the World Series. This day will always be special to me. Of course, the idiotic reporters from Boston and on ESPN and over in Cubsville would have you believe otherwise. But I know better. It did happen. I saw it with my own eyes. We all saw it with our own eyes. A talented group of grinders and their gifted manager and bold general manager made EVERY WHITE SOX fan’s dream come true. In 2005, the White Sox gave us a World Series Championship that we will always cherish.

Now, let’s get after it again! Kenny do what you have to do and bring us the missing pieces that we need for another championship. We want to have other special anniversary dates in the Octobers of the future! As for this October 26, I’m planning to celebrate! :gulp:
And I second the Happy Birthday wishes to Roland Hemond! :happybday Roland is such a gentleman.

TDog
10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I watched the last three innings of the 10-26 game recently on a disc a friend sent me. Much was made about how Uribe's defense dominated the ninth inning -- going into the stands for a foul pop before his play on the chopper up the middle for the win. What I had forgotten (because I originally listened to the game on ESPN radio from about the seventh when I got off work) was the exceptional play Uribe made to end the eighth to strand a runner at third, preserving the 1-0 lead. It's like the Sox scored the run and Uribe's defense took over.

Uribe takes a lot of crap here. A lot of it is justified. But two years ago he was in the right place at the right time, for the sake of himself and the Sox.

A big managerial mistake for the Astros -- and I made this point in chat before the second out -- was bunting the leadoff hit over to second. You're losing by a run in a game where the season would come to an end. You've got three outs to work with. Giving up one of those outs in that situation did the Sox a favor.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
A big managerial mistake for the Astros -- and I made this point in chat before the second out -- was bunting the leadoff hit over to second. You're losing by a run in a game where the season would come to an end. You've got three outs to work with. Giving up one of those outs in that situation did the Sox a favor.That kind of logic will work over the long haul against mediocre pitching in the regular season, but down a run against superior pitching in the World Series I'd rather have two shots at a game-tying single than three shots at an extra-base hit.
And I don't have numbers to back me up, but I'm sure that the number innings in which Bobby Jenks has allowed 3 or more hits is vanishingly small.
Garner did exactly what Ozzie did in the top of the 8th.
We took two shots at a single, and JD got one.
They took their two shots and got a pop-up and a ground-out.
We executed; they didn't. Sucks to be an Astros fan.
But I didn't (and still don't) see anything wrong with the strategy...

chisoxmike
10-25-2007, 03:21 PM
woohoo and winning it on another unexpected HR
:?:

The lone run came on a RBI single up the middle from Jermaine Dye.

chisoxmike
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM

If I could relive one day of my life, so far it would be that day and night.

TDog
10-25-2007, 03:58 PM
That kind of logic will work over the long haul against mediocre pitching in the regular season, but down a run against superior pitching in the World Series I'd rather have two shots at a game-tying single than three shots at an extra-base hit.
And I don't have numbers to back me up, but I'm sure that the number innings in which Bobby Jenks has allowed 3 or more hits is vanishingly small.
Garner did exactly what Ozzie did in the top of the 8th.
We took two shots at a single, and JD got one.
They took their two shots and got a pop-up and a ground-out.
We executed; they didn't. Sucks to be an Astros fan.
But I didn't (and still don't) see anything wrong with the strategy...

Garner didn't do what Guillen did in the top of the eighth. The game was tied in the top of the eighth. Guillen wasn't losing the game. Guillen wasn't facing elimination.

As a hypothetically point based on sheer fantasy, if Guillen and Garner had conferred after the leadoff single to resolve the at bat of the next hitter, I'm sure Guillen would have taken an out for moving the runner. In the top of the eighth, Garner probably wouldn't have been so inclined.

I made the anti-bunt point in chat when I got home and had the game on the radio. Someone, I've forgotten who, agreed with me. Your season is over if you don't score at least one run. Because I made the point quickly and the discussion was limited to one agreement before it came down to Uribe going into the stands for a foul pop-up, I didn't elaborate. But I feel as strongly about the move today.

The Astros gave the White Sox an out at a time when the White Sox had the advantage. Aside from that sacrifice, the other three outs of the last four the White Sox defense picked up were on great plays by Uribe. It would be second-guessing to say the runner could have tagged from first on the foul pop into the stands anyway, but the reality is that if he doesn't hit into a doubleplay, he still has a chance to advance a runner with an out. Jenks wasn't holding runners on well in the series and had a sharp-breaking curve. An out is a high price to pay for getting a man to second when your season is on the line, especially considering that the pinch-hitter who tied Game 2 against Jenks had already been used.

The sacrifice, like the intentional walk, is an overused strategy. It's misuse at the end of Game 4 wasn't he reason the White Sox won the World Series (had the Astros put runners on first and third with one out and tied the game on the pop up to Uribe, the Sox still could have won the game in 18 or 19 innings), but it was a gift delivered by a cornered desperate manager who had run out of ideas.

PKalltheway
10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
What a night! Certainly one I'll never forget!:D:

Medford Bobby
10-25-2007, 06:41 PM
[AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ROLAND HEMOND!!! :happybday

Lip)

One of my early Sox fan memories was receiving a phone call from Rollie from the White Sox. My Dad was a butcher and actually dropped off a bunch of steaks to Chuck Tanner at the ball park. Rollie called up to say thanks and would have some free box seat tickets on them. I must have been 12 yrs old and new who the GM of the Sox was.....

Later I had a nice chat Rollie and his son at TEP and reminded him of the story. His son said thanks for saying so many nice things about his Dad!!:smile:

Railsplitter
10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Sox, that ending. Any other team would have had a strikeout or easy pop fly to end the Series. We have to get it on a hurried throw.

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
What an unbelievable day. Last year on October 26 I wore my World Series champions shirt. Tomorrow I will do the same. And I will probably continue this tradition for the rest of my life (provided I can still fit in the shirt :D:).

Brian26
10-25-2007, 07:00 PM
What I had forgotten (because I originally listened to the game on ESPN radio from about the seventh when I got off work) was the exceptional play Uribe made to end the eighth to strand a runner at third, preserving the 1-0 lead. It's like the Sox scored the run and Uribe's defense took over.

Uribe takes a lot of crap here. A lot of it is justified. But two years ago he was in the right place at the right time, for the sake of himself and the Sox.

Going back a few weeks in the 2005 season, don't forget the unbelievable play he made at the Cell against Cleveland to save a run and give Joe Crede a chance to hit the walkoff homer.

SOX LA Mikey
10-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Don't forget that Game 3 was also won on October 26 (early am)

EastCoastSoxFan
10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Garner didn't do what Guillen did in the top of the eighth. The game was tied in the top of the eighth. Guillen wasn't losing the game. Guillen wasn't facing elimination.

As a hypothetically point based on sheer fantasy, if Guillen and Garner had conferred after the leadoff single to resolve the at bat of the next hitter, I'm sure Guillen would have taken an out for moving the runner. In the top of the eighth, Garner probably wouldn't have been so inclined.

I made the anti-bunt point in chat when I got home and had the game on the radio. Someone, I've forgotten who, agreed with me. Your season is over if you don't score at least one run. Because I made the point quickly and the discussion was limited to one agreement before it came down to Uribe going into the stands for a foul pop-up, I didn't elaborate. But I feel as strongly about the move today.

The Astros gave the White Sox an out at a time when the White Sox had the advantage. Aside from that sacrifice, the other three outs of the last four the White Sox defense picked up were on great plays by Uribe. It would be second-guessing to say the runner could have tagged from first on the foul pop into the stands anyway, but the reality is that if he doesn't hit into a doubleplay, he still has a chance to advance a runner with an out. Jenks wasn't holding runners on well in the series and had a sharp-breaking curve. An out is a high price to pay for getting a man to second when your season is on the line, especially considering that the pinch-hitter who tied Game 2 against Jenks had already been used.

The sacrifice, like the intentional walk, is an overused strategy. It's misuse at the end of Game 4 wasn't he reason the White Sox won the World Series (had the Astros put runners on first and third with one out and tied the game on the pop up to Uribe, the Sox still could have won the game in 18 or 19 innings), but it was a gift delivered by a cornered desperate manager who had run out of ideas.Guillen played for one run because he was confident that our bullpen could hold a one-run lead.
Garner played for one run because he needed to at least tie the game.
Regardless of the reason, they both played for one run against the other team's best reliever.

You say that the worst hitters in the Astros' lineup (with no Bagwell or Vizcaino available to pinch-hit) had a better chance of getting two singles (or one extra-base hit) with three outs to work with.
I say they had a better chance of getting one single with two outs to work with.

Prove me wrong by well-reasoned statistical analysis and I'll happily concede the point and drop out of this thread...

ilsox7
10-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Good old WSI. Only in a thread celebrating a World Championship could we have a debate about the value of sacrificing bunting and a longing for an easier finish to a World Series sweep . . .

Regardless, twas a great day two years ago.

AJ Hellraiser
10-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Yeah, Happy 2 year anniversary everyone! Boy, does time fly...

Bucky F. Dent
10-26-2007, 07:27 AM
:)Happy Anniversary, Everyone!!!!!:)

October26
10-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Don't forget that Game 3 was also won on October 26 (early am)

Good point. How could we all forget how little sleep we actually got in October 2005? I was on a wonderful White Sox baseball overdose that month and basically came to work on fumes. October25 -26th was the most intense though; I went to bed at 3 am on the 25th, got up to go to work at 5 am on the 26th; And made it through the day on lots and lots of caffeine! :D:

gobears1987
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM
I can't believe it has been two years. It seems like a long time.

chisox77
10-26-2007, 09:02 AM
10/26/05 was a great day and should be celebrated annually by all White Sox fans, in whatever way we wish to. I have been wearing my White Sox World Series Championship fleece this past week, leading up to today.

:cool:

SOXPHILE
10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
2 years. Time sure does fly. If I could, I too would re-live that entire day, and if possible, the following 3-4 days as well. I do believe those were the happiest feeling I had ever experienced. During this time, I couldn't stop buying all the different types of championship gear, and hoarding all the newspaper and magazine publications I could get my hands on. I also couldn't stop watching and listening to all the different T.V. and radio stations, as they talked about and covered the game(s), the parade, the fans, and just everything White Sox.

manders_01
10-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Happy anniversary everyone! :bandance:

I'm going to watch the World Series DVD and the parade tonight. Not only to relive some great memories but maybe some of that magic will rub off on the Rox though osmosis! :D:

WisSoxFan
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
With one out to go for the World Series Championship my 14th month old son decided it was time for some comfort before falling back to sleep. I had to go take care of him since my wife was sleeping and 8 months pregnant. Thank God for DVR. Although holding my young, sleeping son watching the Sox win the World Series (even on a few minutes delay - hey it was still live to me) - well it still brings tears to me eyes.

October26
10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
With one out to go for the World Series Championship my 14th month old son decided it was time for some comfort before falling back to sleep. I had to go take care of him since my wife was sleeping and 8 months pregnant. Thank God for DVR. Although holding my young, sleeping son watching the Sox win the World Series (even on a few minutes delay - hey it was still live to me) - well it still brings tears to me eyes.

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I love to read about what everyone was doing on the special anniversary dates in October 2005 but especially on October 26. I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading these. :smile:

And special thanks to the WSI'ers who sent Mr. October26 and I wedding anniversary wishes today. You guys are great (even if we don't always agree on everything) and as many have already said:

:bandance: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, EVERYONE! :gulp:

thomas35forever
10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Happy two-year anniversary, everyone! Celebrate by popping in the World Series DVD!:D:

Brian26
10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
The Astros gave the White Sox an out at a time when the White Sox had the advantage.

On this particular point, I agree with you. I was blown away at the time that Garner would give up an out in that situation (33% of the outs he had left to work with). I've debated that issue many times.

Beyond that, happy aniversary. Go Sox.

SoxGirl4Life
10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
:smile: Oh happy day – you are here again! 21 years ago, I was a young bride…So many October26’s have passed and here I am – not so young anymore!

I had to smile when I read this, because I too was married 21 years ago on this day! Unfortunately, that marriage ended 10 years ago, but the White Sox gave me a new anniversary to celebrate on October 26th in 2005!

Cheers to everyone! :)

LongLiveFisk
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM

I know what you mean. Just that feeling after the last out was recorded: WE DID IT!! :bandance:

(And yes I say "we"--the crowds at the Cell were like having a 10th man out there. :wink:)

DoItForDanPasqua
10-26-2007, 08:08 PM

POTW. I couldn't agree more.

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Good point. How could we all forget how little sleep we actually got in October 2005? I was on a wonderful White Sox baseball overdose that month and basically came to work on fumes. October25 -26th was the most intense though; I went to bed at 3 am on the 25th, got up to go to work at 5 am on the 26th; And made it through the day on lots and lots of caffeine! :D:

I got very little sleep that month as well. The night they won the World Series, I didn't even go to bed! Returning home at about 2:30-3 am after partying like a rock star, I spent a couple of hours here at WSI and read up on other sites like MLB.com. I had to leave for work at 6:30 am to start teaching at 7. I didn't even change...just wore the Konerko jersey I had not washed for a month, and it had a few beer stains on it from the pandemonium at Puffers, as well as peanut shell particles on the back. What an exciting night!

I just played "Don't Stop Believing" to observe the holiday.

Dan the Man
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=22261

Greatest feeling ever. I can't even really remember what I was thinking I was too happy. It took a while for it to sink in that the Sox were World Champions. Can't believe it's been 2 years.

Edit: Posted at 10:26, not bad, eh?

skobabe8
10-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I watched the last three innings of the 10-26 game recently on a disc a friend sent me. Much was made about how Uribe's defense dominated the ninth inning -- going into the stands for a foul pop before his play on the chopper up the middle for the win. What I had forgotten (because I originally listened to the game on ESPN radio from about the seventh when I got off work) was the exceptional play Uribe made to end the eighth to strand a runner at third, preserving the 1-0 lead. It's like the Sox scored the run and Uribe's defense took over.

A big managerial mistake for the Astros -- and I made this point in chat before the second out -- was bunting the leadoff hit over to second. You're losing by a run in a game where the season would come to an end. You've got three outs to work with. Giving up one of those outs in that situation did the Sox a favor.

Why is it that when Jeter did it it is considered the greatest play in World Series history?

DSpivack
10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Why is it that when Jeter did it it is considered the greatest play in World Series history?

And Jeter's wasn't even as good a play; he caught the ball and then fell into the stands, while Uribe dove into the stands to catch the ball.

FedEx227
10-27-2007, 12:14 PM
And Jeter's wasn't even as good a play; he caught the ball and then fell into the stands, while Uribe dove into the stands to catch the ball.

That's what I try and tell people. Jeter caught it in fair territory, then ran an extra like 5-6 feet before going into the stands. Uribe had to put half of his body in the stands to grab it. Big difference. Especially considering Uribe's happened in the bottom of the 9th of a clinching World Series game.

TDog
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
That's what I try and tell people. Jeter caught it in fair territory, then ran an extra like 5-6 feet before going into the stands. Uribe had to put half of his body in the stands to grab it. Big difference. Especially considering Uribe's happened in the bottom of the 9th of a clinching World Series game.

I didn't see it until much later, but I heard Jon Miller raving about the catch as people in the WSI chatroom were going nuts. Not only was it an unbelievable catch, but it was the second out with another great play to follow for the win. The defense by Uribe to end the eighth and get the two outs that weren't conceded to the Sox in the ninth was an incredible way to end a World Series sweep.

Lots of World Series have ended with strike outs. I saw a World Series end on a feeble bunt. Long before I was born Babe Ruth was caught stealing to end a World Series. But I was at a dinner in January 2006 where a video including highlights of the 2005 Sox was show, and the cheer that rose from the quiet audience with the last out after the catch in the stands still sends shivers up my spine.

kruzer31
10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
I didn't see it until much later, but I heard Jon Miller raving about the catch as people in the WSI chatroom were going nuts. Not only was it an unbelievable catch, but it was the second out with another great play to follow for the win. The defense by Uribe to end the eighth and get the two outs that weren't conceded to the Sox in the ninth was an incredible way to end a World Series sweep.

Lots of World Series have ended with strike outs. I saw a World Series end on a feeble bunt. Long before I was born Babe Ruth was caught stealing to end a World Series. But I was at a dinner in January 2006 where a video including highlights of the 2005 Sox was show, and the cheer that rose from the quiet audience with the last out after the catch in the stands still sends shivers up my spine.

That wasnt the last out though.

Jeff

Hitmen77
10-28-2007, 07:26 PM
At the time, I really cherished the moment understanding that it could very well be a once in a lifetime/generation event.

Many of the league's "premier" teams have gone a while without winning it all. The Mets haven't won it since '86, the Dodgers haven't won it since '88, etc. Only very few teams have one more than one World Series in the last 30 years. The Marlins, Blue Jays, Twins and Cardinals (24 yr interval) are the only ones of the 28 that are not the super-rich teams known as the Yankees or Red Sox.

10/26/05 was a great day for all Sox fans and for the Chicago White Sox franchise.:gulp: