PDA

View Full Version : I wish!

Gregory Pratt
10-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Jaramillo is leaving Texas. Or he could be.
He's a "free agent," so to speak.

Man, I wish we'd bring him over but I doubt it happens because he never played for the White Sox, we won't pay him and I can't imagine Texas letting him go.

Of course, Atlanta let Leo go, too.

spiffie
10-24-2007, 07:17 PM

Man, I wish we'd bring him over but I doubt it happens because he never played for the White Sox, we won't pay him and I can't imagine Texas letting him go.

Of course, Atlanta let Leo go, too.
How's his poker game? Is he willing to let Ozzie win at cards? Will he remember to bring the pretzels? If he can't remember the pretzels, he can't be a hitting coach for us.

Gregory Pratt
10-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I was talking to a friend about this and he said, "The Rangers got no-hit and Santana struck out seventeen against them -- why would we want Jaramillo?"

I don't think we'll ever talk baseball again.

TheOldRoman
10-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Of course, Atlanta let Leo go, too.I agree. This team is cheap as hell. A payroll hovering around $100 million is "not even trying" today. You should be GM.

Gregory Pratt
10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I agree. This team is cheap as hell. A payroll hovering around $100 million is "not even trying" today. You should be GM.

When you get off your high horse and decide to have a legitimate discussion/debate, tell me where I called us "cheap." With an attitude like yours you could be Kenny Williams' undersecretary. I haven't read more of a BS, straw-man argument from someone since grade school.

I'm just happy you didn't mention the no-hitter.

TheOldRoman
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
When you get off your high horse and decide to have a legitimate discussion/debate, tell me where I called us "cheap." With an attitude like yours you could be Kenny Williams' undersecretary. I haven't read more of a BS, straw-man argument from someone since grade school.

I'm just happy you didn't mention the no-hitter.
I don't know what part of "we won't pay him" would lead me to believe you were calling them cheap. How silly of me.

Gregory Pratt
10-24-2007, 08:01 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean "cheap" as a whole. Certainly, Reinsdorf will spend the money on the roster but he has never shown willingness to hire high-priced coaches. Like Joe Torre, hypothetically? Would never happen. John Schuerholz? No way. Same with drafting, post-Borchard (which was stupid because of the $ value and because Borchard wasn't a good bet to succeed) and with any Boras clients. Usually a good thing, especially with guys who reach free agency, but I take a much different stance re: young Boras clients. Of course, you've got to trust your scouts for that and ours are a whole different beast entirely. (Nick Masset's fastball; Gavin Floyd a "top prospect"; trading for a player [i]that wasn't the player we thought he was because we didn't have our papers straight -- the movie never ends.)

So yes, I would say that we don't hire big name coaches or scouts and I doubt we ever will. Especially if they haven't played for our CHICAGO WHITE SOX

TDog
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean "cheap" as a whole. Certainly, Reinsdorf will spend the money on the roster but he has never shown willingness to hire high-priced coaches. Like Joe Torre, hypothetically? ...

I'm glad the White Sox front office isn't so clueless as to spend money for Joe Torre. Torre with the Yankees, a team so rich it can pay for its mistakes, is different than Torre with any other team. The Yankees waste more money than most teams can afford to spend.

Even spending big money on Lou Piniella (as I understand it, the other outrageously paid manager in baseball) was not a responsible move because over the course of the season, Piniella showed he wasn't a very good manager.

During the Reinsdorf era the White Sox did hire Charlie Lau to be their hitting coach. I don't know what the deal was, and I'm sure they looked paltry by today's standards. But then, so would Reggie Jackson's early 1980s salary.

When I was a kid, I used to hear what a great manager Gene Mauch was. Two decades after his managerial career ended and two years after he died, his legacy is the 1964 Phillies and the 1986 Angels (featuring Donny Moore for the save). You want good baseball people as your manager and coaches. But if the difference between a very good coach and a great coach (whatever that is) is the cost of a free agent who can have a greater effect on your team's chances to win, you're better off spending that money on playing talent.

DickAllen72
10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
I doubt if money factors into any of this at all. I think it's more a matter of loyalty than anything else. Mr. Reinsdorf seems like a man who is very loyal to his employees. Ozzie seems like a guy who is very loyal to "his guys."

Loyalty is always admirable and normally of course is a very good thing. But in the world of sports, especially modern day professional sports, often loyalty must be put aside if a team is to be successful. For instance, we may all love Jermaine Dye, but if you have a chance to replace him with say a Vlad Guerrero, you don't hesitate to do it because of loyalty to Dye.

So it is truly a shame that after a season and a half of poor offensive production from White Sox hitters as a team, a man who is widely considered as one of the best if not the best hitting coach in baseball becomes available but the Sox likely will not even consider hiring him because of a misplaced sense of loyalty to Greg Walker, who I'm sure is probably a great guy.

FarWestChicago
10-25-2007, 10:33 PM
When you get off your high horse and decide to have a legitimate discussion/debate...LMAO! You can't really be serious saying this about somebody else. :dunno:

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
During the Reinsdorf era the White Sox did hire Charlie Lau to be their hitting coach. I don't know what the deal was, and I'm sure they looked paltry by today's standards. But then, so would Reggie Jackson's early 1980s salary.

I was going to mention the Charlie Lau acquisition, but I anticipated Pratt's response to be that it didn't count since it was so long ago. It falls into the same category as people who claim the Sox have never signed a big-name free agent and then stumble when Belle or Bannister are brought up.

HomeFish
10-28-2007, 05:01 PM
The White Sox aren't cheap, the White Sox are broke.