PDA

View Full Version : Rocks on the Brain - Hal

SoxyStu
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Good article. I agree; it has been a tough to "buy in" with a team this postseason.

Typo in your article - 2nd paragraph.

TornLabrum
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Good article. I agree; it has been a tough to "buy in" with a team this postseason.

Typo in your article - 2nd paragraph.

Yeah, I saw the typo, but only after it made it up on the home page. Obviously one of those "Angels" should have been "Indians."

Thanks for the compliment. I got an email from an irate Red Sox fan who I'm willing to bet thought he'd be the subject of a followup article a la my Cubs fan "friend."

Unfortunately for him (if that's what he wanted), I read about two sentences, saw where it was probably going, and hit the delete key.

johnr1note
10-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I saw the typo, but only after it made it up on the home page. Obviously one of those "Angels" should have been "Indians."

Thanks for the compliment. I got an email from an irate Red Sox fan who I'm willing to bet thought he'd be the subject of a followup article a la my Cubs fan "friend."

Unfortunately for him (if that's what he wanted), I read about two sentences, saw where it was probably going, and hit the delete key.

You are probably the wiser for hitting delete. I tend to engage, get angry, and then overflow. That's not healthy, and I tend to be less of a gentleman.

I agree with the tenor of your article completely. I guess i don't relate to all of it, because I am probably a little younger than you, as my baseball memories begin in the late 60s. By then, the Yankee juggernauts that bedeviled the White Sox for a generation had faded, and the Leo Durocher years were dawning here in Chicago. I have never hated the Yankees. I dislike them, yes, but even in their more recent "Evil Empire" manifestations, I only root against them when its in the White Sox's best interest. They are "lodge brothers" in the AL, so I tend to root for them when they make the World Series. Heck, I tend to root for whoever is the AL representative in the World Series, because my theory is, if the AL wins, the Sox are in the better league. Indeed, with the Yanks, I can' argue with their success. Yes, they have arrogant fans. I wish we Sox fans had a basis for such arrogance.

The Red Sox are my least favorite AL team because of thier fans' similarity to all things Cubs. The Indians are indeed bitter rivals, and a lot of thier fans are rude and have an unnatural hatred for the White Sox. It borders on the same kind of illogic that feeds "flubbsession" in White Sox fans. But even if my own personal hatred for the Cubs has a basis in logic because of the localized nature of the rivalry, i don't understand why Cleveland fans hate our team and its fans so very, very much. Tigers fans don't hate us that way. Orioles fans don't. Royals fans don't. Twins fans are even worse. My only explanation is jealousy for the entire "chicago" concept, as opposed to living with the image of the "mistake by the lake." Who knows?

The Angels were probably the least offensive (to me) of the teams in the AL playoffs in 2007. I really can't hold 2005, and their reactions to us thumping them good, against them. If the shoe was on the other foot, I might feel the same way.

But, the Rockies are the "feel good" story of the year in MLB. There is so much to like about that team. It will be tough for me to stick to my "principles" and pull for the AL in the World Series tomorrow. The AL rep is the "Red cubs" after all.

Oh well.

soxfanatlanta
10-24-2007, 08:17 AM
You also have to question a club whose players showboat by standing in the batter’s box or maybe take a few steps out while admiring their work.Good point. I wonder why nobody has thrown at Manny yet; that showboating **** needs to end. Hopefully, somebody from Colorado will have the stones to buzz him.

Fenway
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM

Hal

The Manny non-HR happened at The Jake not Fenway. Just for the record Red Sox fans were screaming for Manny's blood the next day on sports blab radio.

itsnotrequired
10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Hal

The Manny non-HR happened at The Jake not Fenway. Just for the record Red Sox fans were screaming for Manny's blood the next day on sports blab radio.

Blame the national media. For the most part, those articles make it sound like everyone loves Manny. The local markets tell a much different tale.

And that's the problem when fanbases get painted with a broad stroke. Sort of like how if you talk to people outside the Chicago area, many just assume you are a Cubs fan. Or that Sox fans are a bunch of trailer trash.