PDA

View Full Version : Orioles fans up in arms about Kevin Millar

Fenway
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles23oct23,0,5055740.story (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles23oct23,0,5055740.story)
Millar's decision to throw out the first pitch before the Red Sox's Game 7 victory over the Cleveland Indians in the American League Championship Series on Sunday made him a target yesterday on the local airwaves and in Orioles-related chat rooms, with fans questioning his loyalty and commitment.

One fan - 28-year-old Jon French - posted an online petition, urging president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail to trade Millar, who had gotten the Orioles' permission before traveling to Fenway Park.

"It kind of got to me that he identified himself with the Red Sox," said French, who lives in Augusta, Maine. "This is the same team that comes to the stadium, all the fans come in and invade the park and treat Oriole fans like garbage. ... We're supposed to be fighting this and having some team pride. It's not right."

The video on FOX before Game 5 was just strange
a84BrIfKbtw

MUsoxfan
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree with the Orioles fans. This is bull****. I can sorta understand if he played for a far away NL team, but he signed as a free agent to play for a division rival.

Cheer for the Sawx on your couch Kevin, not on national TV

thomas35forever
10-23-2007, 01:29 PM
They were talking about this on Mike and Mike this morning. Golic accused Greeny of making something out of nothing. He said if McMahon had taken part in a coin toss at a Bears playoff game while he was at Philly, he wouldn't have a problem with it.

Maybe we can get Aaron Rowand to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day unless he's on the team.

thepaulbowski
10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
If you want to go hang around the dugout with your buddies, that's fine. But to throw out the first pitch and tape a segment is just so wroing. Kevin you play for the Orioles, not the Red Sox. Get over it.

SOXPHILE
10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I thought it was more than a little odd when I saw him doing this too. My first thought was, did he retire or something ? It would be the same if Jim Thome went and through out a first pitch at one of the Indians playoff games. Yes, you played for the team for a long time, but you now play for another (division rival) one. Conflict of interest anyone ?

thegooch
10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
It's ridiculous. Also, why would the Red Sox want him to throw out the first pitch? They had no one else from their long suffering history which no one ever hears the end of, they could have asked? Maybe he brought a bottle of Jack into the dugout and was giving out shots before the game.

I wish that the Orioles would just say screw it and release Millar.

PKalltheway
10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
That's such cheap-shot bull****. Hey Millar, you play for the Orioles, not the Red Sox. If you wanna tell somebody to "Cowboy Up," how 'bout you tell your own O's team to "Cowboy Up," seeing as they haven't had a winning season in 10 ****ing years.

MUsoxfan
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I thought it was more than a little odd when I saw him doing this too. My first thought was, did he retire or something ? It would be the same if Jim Thome went and through out a first pitch at one of the Indians playoff games. Yes, you played for the team for a long time, but you now play for another (division rival) one. Conflict of interest anyone ?

Actually, it would make more sense for Jim Thome to do that in Cleveland as that's where he played the bulk of his career (Not that it would be right of him or that he would even consider in partaking in such nonsense).

Millar played a grand total of 3 seasons with the Sawx.

jabrch
10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
In the 60s, this would have been a sacrilige. However, in today's game, it really isn't. Orioles fans and management should be much more worried about how they will compete with Boston and New York than what Millar does in his spare time. I'd worry more about why Millar stunk so badly in the second half; 40 pts of batting average and 60 pts of obp worse than he was in the first.

This is as silly as the whole Buehrle wearing a Cards hat thing was...

jabrch
10-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Actually, it would make more sense for Jim Thome to do that in Cleveland as that's where he played the bulk of his career (Not that it would be right of him or that he would even consider in partaking in such nonsense).

Millar played a grand total of 3 seasons with the Sawx.

Actually, given how poorly the Indians fans treat him, it would make no sense.

Millar was a key part to a WS winner in Boston and the fans and organization still treat him with respect and dignity.

spawn
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
OK...I guess I'll be in the minority. I've got no problem with it. He was a fan favorite while he was with the Red Sox. The Orioles season is over. Also, Orioles management signed off on it. If they don't have a problem with it, then I don't.

Jerko
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Didn't we go thru this when Derek Lowe went back to get his ring and wore a Red Sox jersey while a member of the Dodgers?

MUsoxfan
10-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Millar was a key part to a WS winner in Boston and the fans and organization still treat him with respect and dignity.

Fine, give him a little cheer when he comes to the plate. In the meantime, they have a guy that currently plays against them 19 times a year come and throw out the first pitch.

I think it's a little ridiculous on both ends

twentywontowin
10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd love to see an Earl Weaver profanity-laced tirade about this.

I don't see the big deal. He is cheering on his former teammates/friends.

Would you all burn Jim Thome at the stake for throwing out a first pitch for the Indians?

MUsoxfan
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Would you all burn Jim Thome at the stake for throwing out a first pitch for the Indians?

Jim Thome is a different story altogether. Thome signed with an NL team as a free-agent and was traded to a division rival of the Indians (where he is still booed). If he were to ever do such a thing as a member of the Sox, it would be different because if he ever goes into the HOF he'll be wearing Chief Wahoo on his hat.

Millar played only 3 years with the Red Sox, then left to sign a free agent deal with a division rival. Now he's acting like he's Ted Williams coming back to pump up the crowd.

He should be working on his game to make the Orioles a better team while having Red Sox parties in his house.

SBSoxFan
10-23-2007, 02:22 PM
In the 60s, this would have been a sacrilige. However, in today's game, it really isn't. Orioles fans and management should be much more worried about how they will compete with Boston and New York than what Millar does in his spare time. I'd worry more about why Millar stunk so badly in the second half; 40 pts of batting average and 60 pts of obp worse than he was in the first.

This is as silly as the whole Buehrle wearing a Cards hat thing was...

I guess that's the thing. If he's so invested in the Red Sox --- it looked like he was campaigning for a job with them --- I'd really question the effort he could give to Baltimore.

Hitmen77
10-23-2007, 02:51 PM
According to Baseball Reference.com, Millar is Wayne Nordhagen's nephew.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/millake01.shtml

SoxFan78
10-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I see a big problem with this. Maybe not if he was in the NL, but when playing for the Orioles, a rival of the Red Sox, and going on national TV to support the Sawx, and not your home team is crazy. Yesterday Tony Kornheiser said it best on PTI. Support who signs your paycheck.

Lets put it this way, lets say in 2005 the Twins made the playoffs instead of the Sox. Would any of you be ok seeing AJ in the Twins dugout or see AJ throw out the first pitch of a playoff game??

Mini thread Hijack:
That opening video from Fox makes me sick. For a while I thought i was watching a opening from NESN, not a NATIONAL BROADCAST. This is why you get bad ratings Bud when the Yanks or the Sawx aren't playing. Tool.

WhiteSox5187
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd love to see an Earl Weaver profanity-laced tirade about this.

I wouldn't burn him at the stake, but I'd be upset if he did it while he was still playing for the White Sox. Now if it was the thing where he is retired or is sent to another team outside of the division, I wouldn't mind it at all. Christ, I wouldn't mind it if he were on the White Sox and was spotted at the Indians game rooting for his old team, but throwing out the first pitch is a bit much...

As for Buerhle in the Cardinals hat, I didn't think that was anything big at all. He's been a Cardinals fan his whole life and they don't even play in our league. Now if he went to a Twins game wearing a Twins hat....

Hokiesox
10-23-2007, 03:14 PM
I see a big problem with this. Maybe not if he was in the NL, but when playing for the Orioles, a rival of the Red Sox, and going on national TV to support the Sawx, and not your home team is crazy. Yesterday Tony Kornheiser said it best on PTI. Support who signs your paycheck.

Lets put it this way, lets say in 2005 the Twins made the playoffs instead of the Sox. Would any of you be ok seeing AJ in the Twins dugout or see AJ throw out the first pitch of a playoff game??

Mini thread Hijack:
That opening video from Fox makes me sick. For a while I thought i was watching a opening from NESN, not a NATIONAL BROADCAST. This is why you get bad ratings Bud when the Yanks or the Sawx aren't playing. Tool.

I'd be fine with AJ being in the Twins dugout, he's a professional wrestler in the offseason and needs to practice his moves somewhere. I couldn't see him making nice with any division rival, and I'd love to see if the powder keg blows up.

JUribe1989
10-23-2007, 04:45 PM
This is just as big of a deal as Buehrle wearing a Cardinals hat - NO BIG DEAL AT ALL.

If any of you recall, on August 12 this year Millar hit a 3-run walk-off home run against the Red Sox at Camden Yards. It's not like he's intentionally throwing away at-bats vs. the Red Sox or anything. It's no big deal. Orioles fans have much larger problems than Kevin Millar rooting for the Red Sox in the playoffs.

nccwsfan
10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
If Millar's teammates in Baltimore have an issue with this they'll let him know next March. Their opinions on this will matter more than the fans.