PDA

View Full Version : A Boston Globe editorial

Fenway
10-23-2007, 12:44 PM
don't shoot me I didn't write it :tongue:

Globe Editorial (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/editorials/articles/2007/10/23/fickle_in_the_rockies/)
Fickle in the Rockies (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/editorials/articles/2007/10/23/fickle_in_the_rockies/)

THE Chicago Cubs, a team with a longer hard-luck history than the Red Sox, should have been the National League entrant in the World Series this year. But the Cubs were eliminated two weeks ago, and the Sox will face the Colorado Rockies, a major league newcomer. Boston fans will get a glimpse of the new look of baseball fandom as they bask in the enjoyment of New England's more traditional enthusiasm for baseball.

blah blah

Unlike Wrigley Field, where the Cubs haven't been to a World Series since 1945 and haven't won one since 1908, summer lingers wherever Red Sox fans gather this year.

eriqjaffe
10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Unlike Wrigley Field, where the Cubs haven't been to a World Series since 1945 and haven't won one since 1908Somebody please inform the Boston Globe that Wrigley wasn't even built until 1914 and wasn't occupied by the Cubs until 1916 - the Cubs have never won a World Series playing there.

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 12:56 PM
They're complaining about their opponent in the World Series, give me a ****ing break.

DumpJerry
10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
The excerpt makes no sense. I'm not blaming Fenway, I'm blaming the editorial writers who apparently :gulp:before writing.

How pompous of them to complain about who they are playing. This stuff is total bulletin board material for the Rox. I hope they sweep them with four complete 27 up/27 down perfect games.:angry:

EDIT: If they love The Urinal so much, why don't they just move there?

TommyJohn
10-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I knew it. Red Sox fans just need something to ***** about.

Ragator43
10-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Nothing more than an arrogant article filled with contradictions and bull****.

How pompous of them to complain about who they are playing. This stuff is total bulletin board material for the Rox. I hope they sweep them with four complete 27 up/27 down perfect games.:angry:

Steve Nebraska-style with 81 109 mph fastballs......

Hitmen77
10-23-2007, 01:32 PM
So, why is it the Cubs "should have been the National League entrant in the World Series"? They had the SIXTH best record in the NL - they were fortunate (thanks to an awful division) to even be in the playoffs.

That editorial is just plain stupid.

AZChiSoxFan
10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I never thought I would see the day when I hated the Red Sox more than the Yankees, but that day has arrived.

fquaye149
10-23-2007, 01:57 PM
THE Chicago Cubs, a team with a longer hard-luck history than the Red Sox, should have been the National League entrant

And I should be handed the keys to a BMW 750i

actually, I can afford to lease it--919/month lease? I would just have to live in it, that's all

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I knew it. Red Sox fans just need something to ***** about.

Well, to be fair, so do Sox fans. Some of it justified, some of it is stupid. I admit, I board the "Complain Train" around here every so often...:redface:

But a Red Sox writer *****ing about who they are playing the WS is absolutely obnoxious.

Fenway
10-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, to be fair, so do Sox fans. Some of it justified, some of it is stupid. I admit, I board the "Complain Train" around here every so often...:redface:

But a Red Sox writer *****ing about who they are playing the WS is absolutely obnoxious.

The Boston Globe is owned by the New York Times which owns 17% of the Red Sox

thomas35forever
10-23-2007, 02:34 PM
:whiner:
How 'bout we just name this guy the next commissioner so he can decide who goes to the Series every year?

Goose
10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
C'mon guys, everybody, including this writer, knows that Cub fans are long suffering and extremely loyal fans...that is why they deserve to be in the WS. What have these Rox fans ever endured? NOTHING!

The writer just wants to see the best AL fans in the best AL Park to play the team with the best NL Fans in the best NL Park...

Jeez!

Is that so wrong?

TommyJohn
10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
C'mon guys, everybody, including this writer, knows that Cub fans are long suffering and extremely loyal fans...that is why they deserve to be in the WS.

Clint Eastwood said it best "deserves got nuthin' to do with it!"

LITTLE NELL
10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
C'mon guys, everybody, including this writer, knows that Cub fans are long suffering and extremely loyal fans...that is why they deserve to be in the WS. What have these Rox fans ever endured? NOTHING!

The writer just wants to see the best AL fans in the best AL Park to play the team with the best NL Fans in the best NL Park...

Jeez!

Is that so wrong?
A Cubs-Red Sox WS would make me puke.I hate both of those franchises and their fans with a passion. Go Rockies!!!!

Hitmen77
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Jeez!

Is that so wrong?

I hope that was supposed to be in teal.

WhiteSox5187
10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I hope that was supposed to be in teal.
I think the teal was implied.

A Cubs-Red Sox World Series would be the sort of thing where God would say "Whooa! This isn't supposed to happen!" and it would bring about the end of the world. I was very afraid that that could happen in 2003.

Fenway
10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
I think the teal was implied.

A Cubs-Red Sox World Series would be the sort of thing where God would say "Whooa! This isn't supposed to happen!" and it would bring about the end of the world. I was very afraid that that could happen in 2003.

No God stepped in to stop it
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39463000/jpg/_39463228_bartman-ap-203body.jpghttp://web.mit.edu/mokang/Public/10-17-03/story_files/game7_little.jpg

Iwritecode
10-23-2007, 05:09 PM
No God stepped in to stop it
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39463000/jpg/_39463228_bartman-ap-203body.jpghttp://web.mit.edu/mokang/Public/10-17-03/story_files/game7_little.jpg

Change that first picture to Alex Gonzales and you've got it right. :cool:

Dan Mega
10-23-2007, 07:04 PM
A client of mine based out of Denver mentioned to me that the disease known as "Red Sox Nation" is already there, stinking up the joint.

MarySwiss
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
A client of mine based out of Denver mentioned to me that the disease known as "Red Sox Nation" is already there, stinking up the joint.

Oh, I SOOOOO want the Rockies to win!!! :praying::praying::praying:

DoItForDanPasqua
10-23-2007, 08:02 PM
When the Sox were in the World Series I only cared that the team they were playing would lose.

Palehose Pete
10-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe this is off of the subject, but I'm not so sure that I want the Red Sox to lose. The Red Sox are already out of the "Little Train That Could" category of baseball team since they've had one of the highest payrolls in baseball for a few years now. They should also no longer be considered under the "Curse" any longer. What popular myth of explaining the Red Sox will the popular media and "Pink Hat" fans have to cling to if the Red Sox win their 2nd WS in 4 years? At that point, I think any fan or member of the Boston media that complains about the team's fate in coming seasons will either be ignored or told to straight up shut their mouths and enjoy their team's recent victories.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass...

Dan Mega
10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Maybe this is off of the subject, but I'm not so sure that I want the Red Sox to lose. The Red Sox are already out of the "Little Train That Could" category of baseball team since they've had one of the highest payrolls in baseball for a few years now. They should also no longer be considered under the "Curse" any longer. What popular myth of explaining the Red Sox will the popular media and "Pink Hat" fans have to cling to if the Red Sox win their 2nd WS in 4 years? At that point, I think any fan or member of the Boston media that complains about the team's fate in coming seasons will either be ignored or told to straight up shut their mouths and enjoy their team's recent victories.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass...

2004 taught us all that Red Sox fans will rub it in your face, win or lose.

Tragg
10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Can you really blame the Boston writiers for wanting the Cubs as world series opponents, instead of a team that's won 40 games in a row like the Rockies?

Reminds me of Fran Tarkenton - after the Vikings won the NFC champioinship game, he was asked who he wanted to play in the Super Bowl. "I'd really like to play Tampa Bay". Tampa Bay didn't win a game that year.

Palehose Pete
10-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Can you really blame the Boston writiers for wanting the Cubs as world series opponents, instead of a team that's won 40 games in a row like the Rockies?

Reminds me of Fran Tarkenton - after the Vikings won the NFC champioinship game, he was asked who he wanted to play in the Super Bowl. "I'd really like to play Tampa Bay". Tampa Bay didn't win a game that year.

Well put.

TDog
10-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Technically, Wrigley Field has never seen a World Series Championship. As long as we're on the subject, nor has the North Side of Chicago. The Cubs were the West Siders (playing in West Side Park) in 1908. I would live to see in another 101 years people are talking about the Cubs going two centuries without winning the World Series. It might me the most fun a 151-year-old man could have. I'm sure the Cubs love expressed in this editorial would change if the Red Sox were to lose the World Series to the Cubs. But implicit, as some here have noticed, is that the Cubs are a soft, quite beatable team.

The Cubs, of course, don't belong in the World Series. They don't have a good team. They don't have a good manager. They lost three straight to a team that lost four straight to the Rockies.

My heritage relates the World Series to something you talk about when you're sitting on Santa's lap. I didn't complain that the Cardinals weren't lost their chance to face the White Sox in 2005.

You didn't hear any players talking about being upset about facing the Rockies, and not just because it would be considered bad form. I'm sure that Clint Hurdle will make this editorial known to his team, for what it's worth.

The Red Sox fans don't have any reason to cry about going to the World Series. I hope the Rockies give them something to cry about.

Foulke You
10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
They're complaining about their opponent in the World Series, give me a ****ing break.
Agreed. That article is pretty ridiculous. Your World Series opponent isn't sexy enough for you? Give me a break.:rolleyes:

eriqjaffe
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Technically, Wrigley Field has never seen a World Series Championship. As long as we're on the subject, nor has the North Side of Chicago. The Cubs were the West Siders (playing in West Side Park) in 1908.I kinda made that point already. ;)

Technically, the park has known a champion, as the Chicago Whales won the Federal League pennant in 1915.