PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fest hotels on sale November 6

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071023&content_id=2276921&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

-- Two-night hotel reservations at the Palmer House Hilton for SoxFest 2008, presented by U.S. Cellular, go on sale Tuesday, November 6 at 10:00 a.m. CST through the Palmer House Hilton reservation line at (877) 865-5321. The special SoxFest hotel rate is $249 (plus tax and applicable charges) for a two-night stay. Fans are limited to two rooms per reservation, and there is an additional charge of $25 per person in rooms with more than two adults. Fans who purchase a two-night stay are eligible to purchase up to four SoxFest weekend passes at $75 each. Please note that SoxFest passes must be purchased in addition to the hotel package.In another change for 2008, Friday night of SoxFest will be open to SoxFest hotel guests only. A limited number of Saturday/Sunday two-day packages, also new this year, will go on sale at a later date.

kobo
10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I only wanted to go on Friday this year because my birthday is on Saturday. Guess I won't be going at all.

JGarlandrules20
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
That's lame. I wish they'd go back to how they did it before, it's so expensive now.

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
That's lame. I wish they'd go back to how they did it before, it's so expensive now.

You're right. Its getting out of control now. Closing down on Friday is insane, and I wouldn't be surprised if they sell Saturday and Sunday tickets together only.

Wasn't last year's weekend hotel rate $200? They used to GIVE weekend passes with the hotel room...

Iwritecode
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
You're right. Its getting out of control now. Closing down on Friday is insane, and I wouldn't be surprised if they sell Saturday and Sunday tickets together only.

Wasn't last year's weekend hotel rate $200? They used to GIVE weekend passes with the hotel room...

No, it was the exact same prices last year. $249 for the hotel, $75 for each weekend pass.

It was 2005 that it was still cheap. That was also the last year the weekend passes were included with the room.

I'm figuring that in a couple of years they'll make it so that only season-ticket holders are allowed to go...

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
No, it was the exact same prices last year. $249 for the hotel, $75 for each weekend pass.

It was 2005 that it was still cheap. That was also the last year the weekend passes were included with the room.

Oh ok, I thought it was a bit less.

I'm figuring that in a couple of years they'll make it so that only season-ticket holders are allowed to go...

That would be really ****ty if they did that, and I have season tickets.

JohnTucker0814
10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I've been the last 5 or 6 years and I was very dissapointed with the Palmer House. The ticket lines were terrible to try and get autographs. You were waiting in line outside in the morning. I think I'm going to skip out on the thing this year. Also, the booths where you can buy memorabilia really stunk at the Palmer House. Seemed like there wasn't as much room!

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't think the Palmer House was nice either. It didn't seem like a SoxFest to me. I didnt walk out with the feeling that baseball was coming. Yeah, the merch room blew big time too.

itsnotrequired
10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I've never been to Soxfest and would love to get a weekend pass but I'm sure as hell not going to purchase a hotel room when I live just a few miles away.

BainesHOF
10-23-2007, 02:34 PM
What's next, in 2009 you'll need to be a skybox holder to attend Soxfest on Friday?

Dont Stop Belivn
10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
This is total bull****. Once again they are starting to single out the people who can't afford the really expensive stuff. Closing Friday to the public is a joke, and I'm sure the the Saturday/Sunday passes are not going to be cheap at all. I'm surprised that they decided to pull this bull**** after the season they just had. This is insane

SoxFan78
10-23-2007, 02:46 PM
This is only just my thought and has no basis or real backing around it.

Maybe the Sox only let people staying in the hotel go on Friday cause thats the first day of the Ozzie/Kenny/Hawk Seminar. Maybe they assume that the people shelling out the money for the hotel, and the tickets, and even the VIP will be in that room and not ask too many contraversial questions after the ****ty season the Sox just had. I could see the Sox not wanting to open this very anticipated seminar to the rowdy public demanding answers for a very bad 2007 season.

Dont Stop Belivn
10-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Maybe the Sox only let people staying in the hotel go on Friday cause thats the first day of the Ozzie/Kenny/Hawk Seminar. Maybe they assume that the people shelling out the money for the hotel, and the tickets, and even the VIP will be in that room and not ask too many contraversial questions after the ****ty season the Sox just had. I could see the Sox not wanting to open this very anticipated seminar to the rowdy public demanding answers for a very bad 2007 season.

that may be, but they are still gonna have to face the music on Saturday and Sunday. If they are just making it so they don't have to face more Sox fans by doing this then they are a bunch of ***** babies

jenn2080
10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I've never been to Soxfest and would love to get a weekend pass but I'm sure as hell not going to purchase a hotel room when I live just a few miles away.

Make that two of us. I sure the hell am not going to get a hotel just to go on Friday. I live a few miles away for the place.

salty99
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I am stunned at how high the prices are now and all the restrictions in place. I mean you're lucky if even half the teams comes and alot of the semiars are the same.

Iwritecode
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM

I can guarantee you that many of the controversial questions in years past were from people staying at the hotel.

whitesoxwilkes
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I think I'll avoid the madness for the second year in a row and go skiing instead.

Soxfest has jumped the shark.

MUsoxfan
10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm priced out of this event. I had a good time the year I went, but it's not worth that kinda money. It's also not a huge savings on the hotel room being only $25/night.

October26
10-23-2007, 04:34 PM
This is horrible. There is no way a family of 4 can afford to attend this event. Talk about pricing out the future generation of fans. I can remember when nobody went to Soxfest. Now it seems like it is a tourist attraction which, more than anything, caters to the very rich. Too bad. :(:

3 days 'til October26's sig update time ...

Brian26
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Kenny Williams has proved that he can handle an angry crowd.

Quite honestly, I can't imagine there would be that much venom towards KW or Ozzie this year. If you're looking for fireworks, maybe they should schedule the Friday night seminar to have MacDougal, Bukvich, Logan and Thornton.

Brian26
10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
This is horrible. There is no way a family of 4 can afford to attend this event. Talk about pricing out the future generation of fans.

Its simply the price of success. I'd like to think 10.25.05 cemented a future generation of Sox fans moreso than any one particular Soxfest.

ChiSoxGirl
10-23-2007, 09:02 PM
A limited number of Premium Upgrade Packages are available for sale to hotel guests. The Premium Upgrade Package includes a special SoxFest welcome pack filled with collectibles and special gifts, a private autograph session Friday night, a private photo session on Saturday, and a MVP pass that allows quick entry to designated autograph sessions (see below for further details). Premium Upgrade Packages are $200 each (in addition to the SoxFest weekend pass).While all of the things this $200 Premium Package includes are pretty sweet, the price is outta control. That $200 doesn't even include your weekend SoxFest pass- you have to buy that separately, which is completely lame. So you have to shell out $275 for autographs and all that, EXCLUDING the $250 for your hotel room! :o: The Premium Package is tempting, but for someone who has to leave early on Sunday morning, it's not worth the price. And it's not like the $275 you pay for autographs and all that guarantees you as many autographs as you want. Over the last two SoxFests combined, I've walked away with a grand total of three autographs, all of which I got last year.

I'm a SoxFest veteran- I've gone every year since 1993 and have loved it. I still plan on going this year, but the restrictions they've put in place are borderline ridiculous. Closing it on Friday night to the general public may be their version of a "reward" to the people staying the weekend, but I don't see it as a reward.

Another change that's been implemented is that you can only buy SoxFest passes for the people staying in the hotel room. So if I book a room and plan on staying with one other person, we can only buy two weekend passes. And if you book a room and plan on having more than one roommate, you have to cough up an additional $25/person. Last year, I bought extra passes and sold them to friends for what I paid for them who couldn't get tickets on their own, but were interested in going for the whole weekend. That's not an option this year, and I already know one friend of mine who will be disappointed.

ChiSoxFan35
10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I think I will wait to see if they have any specials if/when sales suck

Kenny Williams has proved that he can handle an angry crowd.

Quite honestly, I can't imagine there would be that much venom towards KW or Ozzie this year. If you're looking for fireworks, maybe they should schedule the Friday night seminar to have MacDougal, Bukvich, Logan and Thornton.

How about those guys get put in a dunk tank? Most accurate fan becomes set up man. Money raised goes to White Sox charities. Everybody wins

ChiSoxGirl
10-23-2007, 09:44 PM

The Hyatt was $119/night and it included four weekend passes to SoxFest, regardless of the number of people staying in the room. When this was the case, I'd just give my extra weekend passes to friends; there was none of this "pay an extra $75 for a weekend pass" crap. :angry:

soxfanreggie
10-23-2007, 10:00 PM
ChiSoxGirl,

A suggestion I just thought of. If the people don't mind paying an extra $25 for the tickets, why not sign them up as staying in the room and buy the extra tickets that way? It may cost them $25 more, but at least they get Sox Fest tickets. If I were going to Sox Fest, I wouldn't mind paying the $25 extra for a ticket, but that's just me. It also guarantees them access to the Friday event.

ChiSoxGirl
10-23-2007, 10:03 PM
ChiSoxGirl,

A suggestion I just thought of. If the people don't mind paying an extra $25 for the tickets, why not sign them up as staying in the room and buy the extra tickets that way? It may cost them $25 more, but at least they get Sox Fest tickets. If I were going to Sox Fest, I wouldn't mind paying the $25 extra for a ticket, but that's just me. It also guarantees them access to the Friday event.

Thanks for the good suggestion. However, I don't know how kicked up my friends will be about paying $100 for SoxFest.... :dunno:

soxfanreggie
10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I guess I would say that paying $100 is better than not going at all. I guess it's easy for someone who has never had the privilege/pleasure of going to say that though. I hope something works for everyone who wants to go. Hopefully WSI neighbors can help other WSI neighbors and their Sox friends in some way.

salty99
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM
For an extra $50, you can just go to Picnic in the Park and get the autographs of 95% of the team instead of spending $200 for 1 extra session and 2 get in the front of the line cards.

chisoxmike
10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
The thing is, SoxFest isn't worth it. Your basically paying a lot of money to go into a "Sox Mall" and buy more Sox stuff. There's nothing really "new" anymore and I have no interest in getting autographs. And the only Q & A thing I like is the Kenny, Ozzie, Hawk one. And with Sox fans being so sheep like now, that isn't even very interesting anymore. KW and Ozzie tell the same stories every time, and say "grinders" about 100 times during these things and KW telling everyone to "trust him." Really Kenny? Trust you? You have one shining great moment. You can't live off that anymore. Sorry.

Iwritecode
10-24-2007, 09:59 AM
The thing is, SoxFest isn't worth it. Your basically paying a lot of money to go into a "Sox Mall" and buy more Sox stuff. There's nothing really "new" anymore and I have no interest in getting autographs. And the only Q & A thing I like is the Kenny, Ozzie, Hawk on. And with Sox fans being so sheep like now, that isn't even very interesting anymore. KW and Ozzie tell the same stories every time, and say "grinders" about 100 times during these things and KW telling everyone to "trust him." Really Kenny? Trust you? You have one shining great moment. You can't live off that anymore. Sorry.

It used to be worth it. Considering I make it to an average of 1-3 games a year and never get to any of the special events they have throughout the year this is my one and only time to interact with the players, coaches, Hawk and DJ, etc...

The first year I went to Soxfest was the first time I could say I actually met somebody famous. Before that the best I had done was local Rockford radio hosts and newscasters. :redface:

chisoxmike
10-24-2007, 10:05 AM
It used to be worth it. Considering I make it to an average of 1-3 games a year and never get to any of the special events they have throughout the year this is my one and only time to interact with the players, coaches, Hawk and DJ, etc...

The first year I went to Soxfest was the first time I could say I actually met somebody famous. Before that the best I had done was local Rockford radio hosts and newscasters. :redface:

Yeah, I should have said "Its not worth it anymore."

markp8867
10-24-2007, 10:07 AM
For an extra $50, you can just go to Picnic in the Park and get the autographs of 95% of the team instead of spending $200 for 1 extra session and 2 get in the front of the line cards.

Good point salty99. Plus doesn't that Picnic in the Park money go to charity too?

chisoxmike
10-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Good point salty99. Plus doesn't that Picnic in the Park money go to charity too?

I think SoxFest does too.

salty99
10-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Yes it goes to White Sox charities and you can write most of the cost off on your taxes.

markp8867
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the good suggestion. However, I don't know how kicked up my friends will be about paying $100 for SoxFest.... :dunno:

Actually the extra $25 doesn't include the extra hotel taxes and fees which are going up. Also if there is a convenience and/or service charge for the passes, the amount for the extra tickets would be closer to $110-115 per weekend pass. So don't just charge the extra $25 because you will be getting ripped off too.

markp8867
10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
I think SoxFest does too.

As far as I know, the proceeds from Soxfest don't go to charity. Otherwise they would promote that. Inside Soxfest they do sell the goodie bags that go to charity but that's about all I can remember that is charity related at Soxfest.

The Palmer House Hilton certainly doesn't donate their proceeds to charity otherwise they would say so and people should be allowed to deduct the expense from their taxes. Why would they even do that and also pay the Sox to advertise too? Also the city doesn't donate what they make from this event either and they do make a lot of money from taxes.

ChiSoxGirl
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM

This is a good idea; I never thought of that. Picnic in the Park is something I've wanted to go to since its inception, but I could never justify spending that amount of money for one afternoon/evening of interacting with the players. But when I compare its price to that of SoxFest, it isn't that outrageous. I'm going to suggest this to the friend I'm going to SoxFest with. :thumbsup:

Actually the extra $25 doesn't include the extra hotel taxes and fees which are going up. Also if there is a convenience and/or service charge for the passes, the amount for the extra tickets would be closer to $110-115 per weekend pass. So don't just charge the extra $25 because you will be getting ripped off too.

Good point. As we all know, the $249 for the weekend hotel stay ends up being more along the lines of $265-275 by the time all the applicable taxes & fees are incorporated into the price. When you divide it among a roommate it's doable, but if you're getting your own room (like I did for the last couple years), be prepared to open your wallet and take a big hit.

Brian26
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
As far as I know, the proceeds from Soxfest don't go to charity. Otherwise they would promote that. Inside Soxfest they do sell the goodie bags that go to charity but that's about all I can remember that is charity related at Soxfest.

The Sox hold a winter garage sale at Soxfest, the proceeds of which go to White Sox charities and are not tax deductible (they make you sign a waiver when you pay).

aarathi
10-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Oh It was good arrangements. But I did not go because of my personal problems.

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Oh It was good arrangements. But I did not go because of my personal problems.Just when I was about to go to bed, I have to deal with an idiot like you.

markp8867
10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
The Sox hold a winter garage sale at Soxfest, the proceeds of which go to White Sox charities and are not tax deductible (they make you sign a waiver when you pay).

I know that, just didn't remember when I posted so thanks for reminding me. I was referring to the sale of tickets and hotel rooms not going to charity though. There are other charity type things going on too. I believe Miller Beer was doing something last year too.

Anyway, I don't see why the White Sox make going to Soxfest 2008 so expensive and difficult on their most loyal of fans. If they want to reward hotel guests then they should allow them to go to the special autograph session as they always have instead of charging an extra $200 just for that.

They could also add a day on Thursday night maybe instead of restricting Friday to hotel guests only. They could have the special hotel guests only autograph session on Thursday night too. The guests could also peruse the merchandise and other things Soxfest has to offer before it would start ON FRIDAY WHICH SHOULD ALWAYS BE OPEN TO ALL SOX FANS!!! The Palmer House would like this because guests would stay an extra night which should also pay for the extra day added too.

The people who run Soxfest however are not very good at what they do so I don't expect them to change anything for the better. The only way they would change anything is if the end result puts more money in their pockets as with the Soxfest 2008 changes. They really stink!

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
The last couple of years, everyone has complained about Soxfest, yet it has been sold out. Therefore, it seems that the complaints about it being overpriced are in the vast minority.

markp8867
10-25-2007, 11:12 AM
The last couple of years, everyone has complained about Soxfest, yet it has been sold out. Therefore, it seems that the complaints about it being overpriced are in the vast minority.

Not true. Soxfest 2006 was of course sold out but it wasn't expensive then. At previous Soxfests before that usually only Saturday was sold out and sometimes Sunday. At Soxfest 2007 you could still get tickets at face value and even less than that on ebay and hotel packages were still available up until a week before the event (which is the last time I checked). Sorry but the demand isn't there like the White Sox claim it to be. Evidence seems to show that a majority of fans are staying away because of the cost and not the other way around.

So even if they say it was sold out in 2007 it wasn't like there was the same demand for tickets like there was in 2006. Far fewer tickets were sold in 2007 which is why they jacked up the price so high. Before at the Hyatt (which is a much much bigger hotel) the tickets were cheaper because more fans could go and the rooms were cheaper too (because there were a lot more rooms).

Now they hold Soxfest in a very very small hotel where people have to wait outside in the freezing cold just to get in. It's a horrible place for Soxfest and because the Palmer House outbid the Hyatt, we Sox fans have to suffer by having fewer of us go and those of us who do go have to pay a lot more for rooms and tickets.

Also for Soxfest 2008 they changed the rules so if you just want to go on Friday you can't unless you have a room at the hotel. If you just want to take your family on one of the weekend days then you will have to pay for both Saturday and Sunday instead of just one day. This is because they are combining Saturday and Sunday into one pass. Tell me how that isn't overpriced? They are gouging their most loyal fans and encouraging scalpers to buy up as many passes as possible because there will be fewer available and plus they have that MVP pass too. It's just getting ridiculous!

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Move this thing to McCormick and be done with it already.

markp8867
10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Move this thing to McCormick and be done with it already.

Well Soxfest isn't that big lol but that would definitely work. I remember when they had FanFest there which was a lot of fun. I was hoping the people at Soxfest could learn from that and make Soxfest even better but sadly no they didn't.

By the way, maybe next year you can try the veggie burgers. They are yummy!

thepaulbowski
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
The people who run Soxfest however are not very good at what they do so I don't expect them to change anything for the better.

If they aren't very good at what they do, why do they continue to sell it out? From friends of mine that have been to other teams fan conventions, they say Soxfest is one of the best run & most organized.

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Well Soxfest isn't that big lol but that would definitely work. I remember when they had FanFest there which was a lot of fun. I was hoping the people at Soxfest could learn from that and make Soxfest even better but sadly no they didn't.

By the way, maybe next year you can try the veggie burgers. They are yummy!

The Sox don't have to rent out the whole place.

Veggie burgers? :?:

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Not true. Soxfest 2006 was of course sold out but it wasn't expensive then. At previous Soxfests before that usually only Saturday was sold out and sometimes Sunday. At Soxfest 2007 you could still get tickets at face value and even less than that on ebay and hotel packages were still available up until a week before the event (which is the last time I checked). Sorry but the demand isn't there like the White Sox claim it to be. Evidence seems to show that a majority of fans are staying away because of the cost and not the other way around.

So even if they say it was sold out in 2007 it wasn't like there was the same demand for tickets like there was in 2006. Far fewer tickets were sold in 2007 which is why they jacked up the price so high. Before at the Hyatt (which is a much much bigger hotel) the tickets were cheaper because more fans could go and the rooms were cheaper too (because there were a lot more rooms).

Now they hold Soxfest in a very very small hotel where people have to wait outside in the freezing cold just to get in. It's a horrible place for Soxfest and because the Palmer House outbid the Hyatt, we Sox fans have to suffer by having fewer of us go and those of us who do go have to pay a lot more for rooms and tickets.

Also for Soxfest 2008 they changed the rules so if you just want to go on Friday you can't unless you have a room at the hotel. If you just want to take your family on one of the weekend days then you will have to pay for both Saturday and Sunday instead of just one day. This is because they are combining Saturday and Sunday into one pass. Tell me how that isn't overpriced? They are gouging their most loyal fans and encouraging scalpers to buy up as many passes as possible because there will be fewer available and plus they have that MVP pass too. It's just getting ridiculous!

You missed my entire point. Basically: Demand > Supply.

People can complain all they want, but it is selling out. Have they pushed it too far this year? Possibly, but unlikely. The last couple of years show that folks will pony up the money to go. Now, if you want to talk about venue, that's an entirely different issue. But as far as price goes, the market seems to indicate a higher price this year (given last year's demand).

markp8867
10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
You missed my entire point. Basically: Demand > Supply.

People can complain all they want, but it is selling out. Have they pushed it too far this year? Possibly, but unlikely. The last couple of years show that folks will pony up the money to go. Now, if you want to talk about venue, that's an entirely different issue. But as far as price goes, the market seems to indicate a higher price this year (given last year's demand).

Well you missed the point about it NOT selling out until at the very last moment last year which I don't even believe it did sell out since rooms were still available at the PHH. So demand is definitely not > supply when it comes to Soxfest.

And also the price of the Soxfest passes is not the issue for me and probably most fans who attend the convention. It's the fact they now force you to get the hotel room in order to get the passes which is what drives the price way up for most people.

If you don't believe me about the lack of demand at Soxfest then check this out:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070117&content_id=1780951&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

They were selling hotel packages and weekend passes at face value just a week before Soxfest 2007 started. I called and they had several rooms available but didn't get one because I found individual day passes for Friday and Saturday for less than what they charged for the weekend pass.

If I wanted to do the same thing for Soxfest 2008, I would have to get a hotel room for $249 plus tax and a weekend pass for $75. I don't care about the price of the weekend pass but I shouldn't also have to get the room too. It was bad enough they stopped selling weekend passes to the public in 2007 but now they have stopped selling individual day tickets and combine Saturday and Sunday into one pass with obviously only half as many available to the public.

So if I just wanted to go on Saturday then I would have to buy tickets to both Saturday and Sunday which isn't fair and it costs more too. If the Sox were doing so well selling these passes they would be making more of them and continue to sell them indiviudually instead of combining them into stupid packages just to make their sponsor (the Palmer House) happy. Next year they probably won't let anyone into Soxfest unless they have U.S. Cellular as their mobile carrier too.

markp8867
10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
If they aren't very good at what they do, why do they continue to sell it out? From friends of mine that have been to other teams fan conventions, they say Soxfest is one of the best run & most organized.

They aren't really selling out anything. Last year a lot of scalpers bought the individual day tickets but ended up selling them for face value or a loss on ebay as the event neared. I was able to get tickets no problem through Ticketmaster with no wait. Not very much demand as compared to trying to get regular season tickets when they go on sale much less postseason tickets.

What other conventions have your friends attended? And even if Soxfest is better than those conventions, that really wasn't my point. Soxfest could be a lot better than it is especially for the price that is paid to attend it. I have been to numerous conventions and know this for a fact.

Soxfest is often chaotic especially as far as the autographs are concerned. People cheat by having multiple wristbands and the people running it do nothing about it. Of course they are not even paid so that probably has something to do with it too. And before the wristbands were used many also cut in line regularly. I can't tell you how frustrating that was yet nothing was done about it. Tell me how that is being one of the best run and most organized conventions lol?

I'm not saying it's really bad the way it is now but it could be improved. I also bet the cost to get into those other fan conventions was a lot less than Soxfest. So our convention should be much better than the other teams but unfortunately it really isn't.

salty99
10-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I see you like doing alot of complaining. Why don't you channel your energy and anger into something productive like writing Brooks, etc. and suggesting ideas to make things better?

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I see you like doing alot of complaining. Why don't you channel your energy and anger into something productive like writing Brooks, etc. and suggesting ideas to make things better?

Because complaining is the easy thing to do. The bottom line is that this is a popular event at the price they are offering it at. There is high demand. Everyone who goes to Soxfest reports how long the lines are and how many people are there, so they must not have a problem selling tickets. Might ther be a handful of hotel rooms or tickets left? Sure. Is it a groos abundance? Apparently not. Maybe they figure by making Friday a hotel guest only event those last handful of rooms will sell out. Bottom line is that the people both complaining about price AND not buying tickets are in the minority.

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
If you don't believe me about the lack of demand at Soxfest then check this out:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070117&content_id=1780951&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

They were selling hotel packages and weekend passes at face value just a week before Soxfest 2007 started. I called and they had several rooms available but didn't get one because I found individual day passes for Friday and Saturday for less than what they charged for the weekend pass.

Did you read the link you provided? It clearly states that rooms sold out when they went on sale. They then added (or released rooms being held for sponsors, VIPs, etc) and had a handful available.

spiffie
10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Because complaining is the easy thing to do. The bottom line is that this is a popular event at the price they are offering it at. There is high demand. Everyone who goes to Soxfest reports how long the lines are and how many people are there, so they must not have a problem selling tickets. Might ther be a handful of hotel rooms or tickets left? Sure. Is it a groos abundance? Apparently not. Maybe they figure by making Friday a hotel guest only event those last handful of rooms will sell out. Bottom line is that the people both complaining about price AND not buying tickets are in the minority.
Actually, those folks are the vast majority.

However, the Sox don't need there to be any more people willing to drop the cash than however many equals a sellout. Does it suck for those of us who don't want to spend somewhere around $500 for a weekend of long lines, standing in the cold, and crowded rooms? Sure it does, but someone's paying it. I'd be curious to know if anyone who was a vendor the last few noticed a change in the amount of business they did after the move from Hyatt to Palmer House.

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Actually, those folks are the vast majority.

I'm not sure about that. There are a handful of people around here who complain about price, lines, etc each year, but beyond that, I do not hear many complaints. If they go back to a bigger venue, then there will be even more complaints about lines.

champagne030
10-25-2007, 02:49 PM
They could also add a day on Thursday night maybe instead of restricting Friday to hotel guests only. They could have the special hotel guests only autograph session on Thursday night too. The guests could also peruse the merchandise and other things Soxfest has to offer before it would start ON FRIDAY WHICH SHOULD ALWAYS BE OPEN TO ALL SOX FANS!!! The Palmer House would like this because guests would stay an extra night which should also pay for the extra day added too.

They already do a "private" autograph session on Thursday. It's for selected season ticket holders and has been held at ESPN Zone.

salty99
10-25-2007, 02:54 PM
They already do a "private" autograph session on Thursday. It's for selected season ticket holders and has been held at ESPN Zone.

isn't that for scout seat and presumely Jim beam club ticket holders?

spiffie
10-25-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure about that. There are a handful of people around here who complain about price, lines, etc each year, but beyond that, I do not hear many complaints. If they go back to a bigger venue, then there will be even more complaints about lines.
You're just talking about around here though. This is among the hardest of the hardcore fans, and we're torn on whether its too much. What is the likelihood of the more casual fan, the one who might be tempted to stop in one day on a weekend, thinking about going to this?

I'm not saying its a good or bad thing. Obviously the demand is there for a higher-priced, smaller-attendance, more VIP experience, so its hard to say they're incorrect. I just wonder if the whole winter convention thing could (or should) be used as something more than a "Core of the Core" sort of gathering.

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
You're just talking about around here though. This is among the hardest of the hardcore fans, and we're torn on whether its too much. What is the likelihood of the more casual fan, the one who might be tempted to stop in one day on a weekend, thinking about going to this?

I'm not saying its a good or bad thing. Obviously the demand is there for a higher-priced, smaller-attendance, more VIP experience, so its hard to say they're incorrect. I just wonder if the whole winter convention thing could (or should) be used as something more than a "Core of the Core" sort of gathering.

I hear ya. I think it would be difficult to increase the supply of tickets. From all accounts of last year, the lines for autographs and seating for seminars was overflowing. Just b/c you increase capacity for fans does not mean there will be more players or more seminars. Therefore, all you'd really be doing by adding tickets available is increasing autograph lines and making the seminars even more packed.

LauraJ14
10-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I have been going to Soxfest since 2000. My main goal is to get pictures that I take during the season autographed. Last year was the worst by far for autographs - basically because guys were signing 200-300 in a session and there was typically just 1 guy where in years past there usually were 2 or 3 guys and signing 400-500 autographs. And if you got into a line for the first session of the day, by the time you were done all of the 2nd sessions were filled up and you were lucky to get the 3rd sessions. I think I got 1 autograph on Friday, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. So that is so not worth paying $75 plus having to stand in line outside in the cold on Saturday morning.
So this year I am going to save my Soxfest money and use it toward a Sox road trip to LA and SF.

champagne030
10-25-2007, 04:06 PM
isn't that for scout seat and presumely Jim beam club ticket holders?

I'm don't own those seats and I've been invited 4 years in a row (I declined the invite last year).

salty99
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm don't own those seats and I've been invited 4 years in a row (I declined the invite last year).

ah ok...then i wonder what the criteria is

markp8867
10-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Oh so posting on these boards isn't a productive thing for a Sox fan to do? Are we all supposed to hold hands and sing kumbaya here? This is what Cubs fans do, not Sox fans. So don't tell me what to do buddy. If you don't like my posts then don't read them.

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Oh so posting on these boards isn't a productive thing for a Sox fan to do? Are we all supposed to hold hands and sing kumbaya here? This is what Cubs fans do, not Sox fans. So don't tell me what to do buddy. If you don't like my posts then don't read them.

Salty was 100% right. Posting here will not do a damn thing for you. On the other hand, e-mailing Brooks would be a good place to start.

markp8867
10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Did you read the link you provided? It clearly states that rooms sold out when they went on sale. They then added (or released rooms being held for sponsors, VIPs, etc) and had a handful available.

Yeah don't believe what they say in that press release. They make it sound like magically there are only a few rooms left so CALL NOW! Typical sales ploy which obviously didn't work. What do you expect them to say?

There were a lot of rooms left, not just a few like they said. They were available all the until the Thursday before the event. That tells me there isn't much demand for staying at that hotel at least.

Most people I think would just like to buy their passes via Ticketmaster and go that way just like in years past. I have no problem buying the passes. I think $75 is a pretty good price for the weekend if only the additional $249 wasn't required to get that pass.

markp8867
10-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Salty was 100% right. Posting here will not do a damn thing for you. On the other hand, e-mailing Brooks would be a good place to start.

And I did that Tuesday night! Of course I haven't heard back nor do I expect to.

salty99
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM

No I would not like to hold your hand or sing with you, but thanks for the offer.

BTW, my point was noone here can really help you or are the correct people to complain to. Making your point that you disagree with the Soxfest price structure is one thing, but to rant on and on is not necessary.

The End.

Steelrod
10-25-2007, 05:32 PM

Tickets as far as the Sox are concerned only are sold once. The aftermarket means nothing. If the Sox have no tickets left for Fri, Sat. and Sunday, it equals a large success.
As far as pricing goes, I cannot argue that they are steep. However, if none remain, the evidence will tell you they are properly priced.

chisoxmike
10-25-2007, 06:48 PM
And I did that Tuesday night! Of course I haven't heard back nor do I expect to.

He'll just say something like this...

"Thank you for your e-mail, I appreciate your concern. About SoxFest, what do you expect? People will buy them regardless. Until we don't sell out SoxFest and the hotel packages is when we will change how we go about things."

Brooks isn't going to lie to anybody. He's going to tell it like it is.

I highly doubt the Sox care that people may think is not fair and overpriced (Which it is.) because no matter what, people WILL buy them.

Brian26
10-25-2007, 08:09 PM

No I would not like to hold your hand or sing with you, but thanks for the offer.

BTW, my point was noone here can really help you or are the correct people to complain to. Making your point that you disagree with the Soxfest price structure is one thing, but to rant on and on is not necessary.

The End.

:thumbsup:

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah don't believe what they say in that press release. They make it sound like magically there are only a few rooms left so CALL NOW! Typical sales ploy which obviously didn't work. What do you expect them to say?

There were a lot of rooms left, not just a few like they said. They were available all the until the Thursday before the event. That tells me there isn't much demand for staying at that hotel at least.

Most people I think would just like to buy their passes via Ticketmaster and go that way just like in years past. I have no problem buying the passes. I think $75 is a pretty good price for the weekend if only the additional $249 wasn't required to get that pass.

And do you think when they release tickets the day of a game that is sold out they are just using a sales ploy, too? Stop being so paranoid.

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
And do you think when they release tickets the day of a game that is sold out they are just using a sales ploy, too? Stop being so paranoid.

The White Sox as an organization exist solely to fleece the uninformed.

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 09:50 PM

They also hate their fans. Isn't it obvious?

Brian26
10-25-2007, 09:50 PM

And to sell uniform fleeces.

http://www.easycart.net/TripleThreatSportsInc./images/TBF-WSX.jpg

itsnotrequired
10-25-2007, 09:51 PM
And to sell uniform fleeces.

http://www.easycart.net/TripleThreatSportsInc./images/TBF-WSX.jpg

It is like signing your own death wish.

Brian26
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
They also hate their fans. Isn't it obvious?

The feeling is mutual. Ligue didn't get enough love in the LaRussa era.

ChiSoxFan35
10-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I disagree with some people in here, I wouldn't think it far fetched for White Sox people to browse around this huge message board, what better way to gauge reaction on this sort of stuff. And I'm going to take a wild hunch if they do look around, it's not for trade rumors, it'd be for this sort of stuff.

ilsox7
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I disagree with some people in here, I wouldn't think it far fetched for White Sox people to browse around this huge message board, what better way to gauge reaction on this sort of stuff. And I'm going to take a wild hunch if they do look around, it's not for trade rumors, it'd be for this sort of stuff.
It's known that the Sox staff reads these boards. But still, that does not mean your best means of communicating pleasure or displeasure with them is by posting here.

markp8867
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Tickets as far as the Sox are concerned only are sold once. The aftermarket means nothing. If the Sox have no tickets left for Fri, Sat. and Sunday, it equals a large success.
As far as pricing goes, I cannot argue that they are steep. However, if none remain, the evidence will tell you they are properly priced.

So what is a "large success"? Selling far fewer tickets so far fewer fans can attend their teams only fan convention of the year just to get far fewer autographs? I don't think a fan convention that will exclude so many fans who have gone in the past and want to go is any sort of a success whatsoever.

There were plenty of tickets left unsold last year but many people here seem way too dense to get that. The rooms that go unsold include weekend passes that are unsold. People who have rooms and don't buy all 4 passes allowed to them and those who only go one day on the new 2-day weekend pass also add to the amount of unsold passes. So it is by no means "sold out" by a long shot.

I don't care what they charge for tickets and I know all about supply and demand. I think the prices for tickets are fair but it is the lack of availability that sucks compared to previous years. Forcing fans who want to go all three days to pay $249 plus tax and the cost of the passes to stay at a hotel with rooms suited more for the munchkins at Wicked than average sized adults is what I have a problem with.

Nobody should be forced to pay such a high premium especially if they live in the area and staying in the hotel makes little sense at all. The "aftermarket" you mention means everything now because it will probably be cheaper to get Soxfest 3-Day passes from the scalpers than it will be from the White Sox.

markp8867
10-27-2007, 10:54 PM
It's known that the Sox staff reads these boards. But still, that does not mean your best means of communicating pleasure or displeasure with them is by posting here.

I'm just merely posting on a thread about this event and stating my opinion. I'm not posting here because I hope some dufus working for the White Sox reads this thread.

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm not posting here because I hope some dufus working for the White Sox reads this thread.

Posting classy comments like this doesn't do much to help prove your point.

ilsox7
10-27-2007, 11:01 PM

C'mon Brian, don't you know that everyone working for the Sox from KW on down is an idiot?

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:04 PM
and those who only go one day on the new 2-day weekend pass also add to the amount of unsold passes.

If someone buys a two-day pass and only decides to come on one of the two days, that doesn't mean the other day becomes available again. The ticket has been sold for both days.

The Sox can't decided to sell a replacement ticket since its entirely possibly the original two-day pass recipient may change his mind and show up anyway.

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:06 PM
C'mon Brian, don't you know that everyone working for the Sox from KW on down is an idiot?

At this point, I'm willing to buy this guy a hotel package out of my own pocket so he'll shut up. :D:

ilsox7
10-27-2007, 11:09 PM
At this point, I'm willing to buy this guy a hotel package out of my own pocket so he'll shut up. :D:

Only if you give it to him on the condition that he cannot use his Sunday pass so that the Sox can re-issue a pass for me to go on Sunday.

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Only if you give it to him on the condition that he cannot use his Sunday pass so that the Sox can re-issue a pass for me to go on Sunday.

Sounds like a plan. So if you go on the re-issued Sunday pass, and I buy all four of the available Soxfest tickets for the room, in addition to getting tickets for Wicked that weekend, maybe the event will officially be "sold out."

ilsox7
10-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Sounds like a plan. So if you go on the re-issued Sunday pass, and I buy all four of the available Soxfest tickets for the room, in addition to getting tickets for Wicked that weekend, maybe the event will officially be "sold out."

You can keep the Sunday passes in that case and just give me the Wicked tickets.

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:18 PM
You can keep the Sunday passes in that case and just give me the Wicked tickets.

Only if you can score sweet spot autographs from Munchkin #2 and Munchkin #3 for me.

Domeshot17
10-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Anyone know how the prices compare to other teams?

I for one like the Hilton better. I mean its tough to compare because pre 2005 you could pretty much just roam as you pleased. After 2005 was a DISASTER with the over sell and the fake tickets being let in, hated it. Last year even with all the different levels I had a good time. The wristband thing is a flawed system, but there arent many that will be as cost effective and work remotely well.

Its a situation you will never win with if you are sox management. If you go too high to make it more intimate and more exclusive you are pricing people out and getting complaints. If you make it cheap you arent making money and you overflow it, and its a nightmare.

I love Sox fest, will probably be in the hotel again this year. I guess that is what matters to me. I hate to say it, but everyone will have an opinion and it will always be split. It doesnt matter if its cost, set up, weekend passes, 2 day passes, Parents with strollers, wrist bands, tent sales, whatever, people will both love it and hate it.

markp8867
10-28-2007, 12:57 AM
If someone buys a two-day pass and only decides to come on one of the two days, that doesn't mean the other day becomes available again. The ticket has been sold for both days.

The Sox can't decided to sell a replacement ticket since its entirely possibly the original two-day pass recipient may change his mind and show up anyway.

The point is that they shouldn't combine the passes for both days into one. And yes in the end it does mean less fans will be able to go because of this new rule.

markp8867
10-28-2007, 01:01 AM

Only if you can score sweet spot autographs from Munchkin #2 and Munchkin #3 for me.

And those are "classy" comments? I'm not trying to prove anything either and I'm certainly not trying to demean or abuse other posters on this board as you, Ilsox and others are doing to me.

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 01:07 AM
And those are "classy" comments? I'm not trying to prove anything either and I'm certainly not trying to demean or abuse other posters on this board as you, Ilsox and others are doing to me.

No one is demeaning or abusing you. Many of us are taking issue with your posts. There is a big difference.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Everybody knock it off, or Roadhouse it goes.

Brian26
10-28-2007, 01:12 AM

I think you owe an apology to the White Sox staff who may read this board. Some of your comments were disrespectful, and I'll leave it at that.

markp8867
10-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Anyone know how the prices compare to other teams?

I for one like the Hilton better. I mean its tough to compare because pre 2005 you could pretty much just roam as you pleased. After 2005 was a DISASTER with the over sell and the fake tickets being let in, hated it. Last year even with all the different levels I had a good time. The wristband thing is a flawed system, but there arent many that will be as cost effective and work remotely well.

Its a situation you will never win with if you are sox management. If you go too high to make it more intimate and more exclusive you are pricing people out and getting complaints. If you make it cheap you arent making money and you overflow it, and its a nightmare.

I love Sox fest, will probably be in the hotel again this year. I guess that is what matters to me. I hate to say it, but everyone will have an opinion and it will always be split. It doesnt matter if its cost, set up, weekend passes, 2 day passes, Parents with strollers, wrist bands, tent sales, whatever, people will both love it and hate it.

If you like the hotel and staying in the hotel then it isn't that bad of a deal. I agree about Soxfest 2006 as that was a disaster. I like the way they did it last year with the passes making them much more difficult to counterfeit. I didn't like the way it was set up at the Hilton as much as the Hyatt but that's just me.

The wristband system is flawed like you said but it is better than the way it used to be with one person holding a place in line for the rest of their friends and family. Even one time an entire little league team cut in front of me adding 20 minutes to my line time. I would just suggest that when they give out wristbands they put them on the people and make sure they roll up their sleeves so they can see if the person has any other wristbands first.

As far as other team's fanfests go, here are some that I know of. It should also be noted that every player on their roster attends the Twins and Tigers fan fests.

SoxFest Three Day Pass: 1st pass($324)+2nd pass($75), 3rd/4th pass($100 each); 2 Day weekend pass (unknown)
Cubs Convention: $50 each for up to four passes for the weekend
Devil Rays: Free (but still not that many go lol)
Twins: $8 per day for adults, $3 for children (all $$$ goes to charity)
Tigers: $10 per day for adults, $5 for children
Diamondbacks: Free ($5 donation for autographs)
Phillies: Free ($15 donation for autographs)
Angels: $5 admission

Brian26
10-28-2007, 01:46 AM
It should also be noted that every player on their roster attends the Twins and Tigers fan fests.

SoxFest Three Day Pass: 1st pass($324)+2nd pass($75), 3rd/4th pass($100 each); 2 Day weekend pass (unknown)
Cubs Convention: $50 each for up to four passes for the weekend
Twins: $8 per day for adults, $3 for children (all $$$ goes to charity)
Tigers: $10 per day for adults, $5 for children
Diamondbacks: Free ($5 donation for autographs)
Phillies: Free ($15 donation for autographs)
Angels: $5 admission

It should also be noted that these other fan fests are not organized in the same manner as Soxfest in terms of autographs, so the price points are irrelevant. At Twinsfest, you stand in line and wait to get to the front, but the Twins players are rotated every hour. So, you never know who's autograph you will get once you get to the front of the line.

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 01:48 AM

The irony is that they even have a "Fan Fest."

I mean, if people don't show up for your games, why will they show up to some event during the winter?

itsnotrequired
10-28-2007, 01:49 AM
It should also be noted that these other fan fests are not organized in the same manner as Soxfest in terms of autographs, so the price points are irrelevant. At Twinsfest, you stand in line and wait to get to the front, but the Twins players are rotated every hour. So, you never know who's autograph you will get once you get to the front of the line.

Given the chance, the ghost of Harmon Killebrew would eat you and everyone you care about.

Brian26
10-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Given the chance, the ghost of Harmon Killebrew would eat you and everyone you care about.

That would be remarkable considering he is still alive. Cannibalism is overrated.

INR = :gulp:

markp8867
10-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Soxfest really isn't all that different. The only time you can plan on what autographs you will get is if you get there and wait in line for several hours before they open and then you have a choice of the first autograph sessions. Otherwise, you really can't plan on what wristbands and autographs you will get after that. They go so fast and you have to be lucky to be in the right place at the right time in order to get one.

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Soxfest really isn't all that different. The only time you can plan on what autographs you will get is if you get there and wait in line for several hours before they open and then you have a choice of the first autograph sessions. Otherwise, you really can't plan on what wristbands and autographs you will get after that. They go so fast and you have to be lucky to be in the right place at the right time in order to get one.

Now imagine how much more chaos there would be if the event was even more accessible. The calls for bigger venues and lower prices would only increase the complaints about crowds and lack of autographs. The bottom line is that everyone will not be happy with Soxfest. Therefore, if there are people willing to shell out the cash (and there are), I do not see any problem with charging that price point.

itsnotrequired
10-28-2007, 02:05 AM
That would be remarkable considering he is still alive. Cannibalism is overrated.

INR = :gulp:

Rod Carew demands your allegiance. Join him or die. Can you do any less?

Steelrod
10-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Forget Wicked. Jersey Boys is this year's must see!

spiffie
10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Forget Wicked. Jersey Boys is this year's must see!
http://media.canada.com/536d56c7-75a1-4105-acb9-66d4ee476d1f/phantom.jpg

I will drop a damn chandelier on your head if you don't come see me.

markp8867
10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd be curious to know if anyone who was a vendor the last few noticed a change in the amount of business they did after the move from Hyatt to Palmer House.

Grandstand, which as everyone knows is one of the biggest vendors of the Hyatt Soxfests, didn't even bother showing up at the Palmer House. It's just not worth it to pay the same for a smaller space just to sell much less stuff.

salty99
11-06-2007, 10:35 AM
So did anybody book a hotel package?

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM

No.

Iwritecode
11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

I applied for a loan to pay for the tickets but I couldn't come up with enough collateral...

salty99
11-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Maybe if they have a poor turnout they will lower prices or throw in the passes for cheap next year.

itsnotrequired
11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Maybe if they have a poor turnout they will lower prices or throw in the passes for cheap next year.

There will not be a poor turnout. It will be plenty crowded.

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 11:42 AM

As much as I would like to see that happen, I doubt it will.

It's going to always sell out. As long as it does, prices will go up.

The problem now is that I don't think they can ever lower prices on the event. They may stay how they are if one year doesn't sell, but I don't think they'd ever lower them.

Scottiehaswheels
11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I did only because we're coming up from Indy... My fiance's 5 year old loves the training seminars so we spend most of our time in there watching him learn baseball from the Sox Academy folks. I asked if they would ever consider bringing the Academy on down to Indy for a week or so and they won't do that so we bring him up there for Sox Fest to learn.

Domeshot17
11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I got my hotel room today too. Always stay in the hotel with my fiancee and her parents, always seems to be a fun weekend.

MCHSoxFan
11-06-2007, 01:04 PM

My grandma was going to call this morning at 10 AM. I really hope she got through. We try to make a weekend of it.

ilsox7
11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Now that the hotel packages have once again sold out within hours, where are the folks claiming it would never sell out?

skobabe8
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Ive seen pictures of Twins Fest and it is NOTHING like SoxFest. I think they do it on the Metrodome floor.

jenn2080
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I did only because we're coming up from Indy... My fiance's 5 year old loves the training seminars so we spend most of our time in there watching him learn baseball from the Sox Academy folks. I asked if they would ever consider bringing the Academy on down to Indy for a week or so and they won't do that so we bring him up there for Sox Fest to learn.

I thought you had said last year that he did not like it?:?:

Scottiehaswheels
11-06-2007, 01:50 PM
I thought you had said last year that he did not like it?:?:Ha he was intimidated the first day, but Sat/Sun we must have spent 6-7 hours in there each day.

MinnySoxFan
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Ive seen pictures of Twins Fest and it is NOTHING like SoxFest. I think they do it on the Metrodome floor.

Plus you have to pay for an autograph. Like $100 for a Johan Santana autograph. I like their winter caravan. For like 7 bucks you get 2 autograph's and a chicken dinner. I got Joe Nathan's last year and Michael Cuddyer's this year. I wonder who will be coming next year.

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Now that the hotel packages have once again sold out within hours, where are the folks claiming it would never sell out?

Just because it sold out doesn't mean its not overpriced.

itsnotrequired
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM

That's why I'm hunkering down at the brine factory during SoxFest.

ilsox7
11-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Actually, with the speed in which it sold out, you could make the argument that the packages are underpriced much easier than you could make an argument that it is overpriced.

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Actually, with the speed in which it sold out, you could make the argument that the packages are underpriced much easier than you could make an argument that it is overpriced.

Not really, it always sells out within minutes. It's always going to sell out, regardless of the price. Somebody will always pay.

A weekend hotel rate of $249, in the city, is not expensive at all. The bull**** that you then must buy overpriced $75 weekend passes is. Not only that, the bull**** Friday is only for hotel guests, and the fact that if you want to go to SoxFest and not fork over over $300, you now have to buy a Saturday/Sunday pass instead of a individual ticket. Horse****, White Sox.

itsnotrequired
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Not really, it always sells out within minutes. It's always going to sell out, regardless of the price. Somebody will always pay.

A weekend hotel rate of $249, in the city, is not expensive at all. The bull**** that you then must buy overpriced $75 weekend passes is. Not only that, the bull**** Friday is only for hotel guests, and the fact that if you want to go to SoxFest and not fork over over $300, you now have to buy a Saturday/Sunday pass instead of a individual ticket. Horse****, White Sox.

They should have a provision where if you live in the city limits, you don't need to purchase a hotel stay. Something like that.

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
They should have a provision where if you live in the city limits, you don't need to purchase a hotel stay. Something like that.

I wasn't saying that.

ilsox7
11-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Market economy theory disagrees with you.

It seems to me that the Sox are trying to find some solution to cure the overcrowding. Considering people spent hours on WSI complaining about overcrowding, it makes sense.

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 02:54 PM
It seems to me that the Sox are trying to find some solution to cure the overcrowding. Considering people spent hours on WSI complaining about overcrowding, it makes sense.

Those were probably the same people who ***** when a game is sold out and they have to wait in line for a hot dog or bathroom and wish we only had 10,000 people at the games. :rolleyes:

ilsox7
11-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Those were probably the same people who ***** when a game is sold out and they have to wait in line for a hot dog or bathroom and wish we only had 10,000 people at the games. :rolleyes:
Regardless of who it was, there were a lot of them.

Many people would rather pay more for a higher quality event. I think that may be the line of thinking the Sox are subscribing to.

spiffie
11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Regardless of who it was, there were a lot of them.

Many people would rather pay more for a higher quality event. I think that may be the line of thinking the Sox are subscribing to.
It seems like most things in the world are going towards the way of providing an "experience" for those who wish to spend large sums of money. In some cases that can simply mean a set-aside for those folks (like the Scout Seats), or in this case it can simply mean that they'd rather keep it small and high-touch instead of cheaper and more open to the masses. Sucks for those of us who don't have $600 to blow on a weekend with the Sox. In a way I might be more interested if it were even more expensive and more limited. As it is right now it sounds like a bad mix of the worst of all worlds. Pay a lot of cash, still have long lines and not a lot of customer service. The Friday night event seems a way to try and remedy that. But to me if I'm going to spend a few hundred bucks, I'd rather spend a bit more and maybe cut the attendance another 50% so that it can really be a fun experience.

itsnotrequired
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I wasn't saying that.

I know, I was.

:redneck

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I know, I was.

:redneck

Let's have a party.

:party:

Iwritecode
11-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Market economy theory disagrees with you.

I don't think raising the ticket prices is a way to ease over-crowding. Selling fewer tickets is.

2005 was perfect. The prices weren't horrendous and there were about 10,000 - 15,000 people on each day.

Then in 2006 there were about 25,000 there each day and it was horrible.

The Sox were already planning on moving the fest to the Hilton before 2006 though. So the move and subsequent price-gouging wasn't due to the over crowding...

Brian26
11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Not really, it always sells out within minutes.

If "always" you mean the last few years, then yes. For the first twelve years of Soxfest (from 93 to 05), that wasn't even close to true.

Brian26
11-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think raising the ticket prices is a way to ease over-crowding. Selling fewer tickets is.

The Sox still have to make the event financially viable for themselves. They have to fly people in, rent the room, pay security and ushers, etc. I'm sure the players receive an appearance fee. If the Sox sell less tickets, they probably need to raise the prices.

The Sox were already planning on moving the fest to the Hilton before 2006 though. So the move and subsequent price-gouging wasn't due to the over crowding...

The move wasn't due to overcrowding, but the higher prices may be a result (see above). Also, there are many factors none us of are privy to (how much it costs to stage the event at the Palmer House vs. the Hyatt, how much the players want in appearance money now that they sign World Series items that get sold on the open market, etc).

ChiSoxGirl
11-06-2007, 08:47 PM
If "always" you mean the last few years, then yes. For the first twelve years of Soxfest (from 93 to 05), that wasn't even close to true.

I remember when I used to call the Hyatt a couple days after Christmas and the operator would basically ask me to choose which room I'd like to stay in. SoxFest was seemingly non-existent to the casual fan, based on the availability of hotel rooms just a month before the event.

I got my room for this year. Since I had trouble getting through just after 10a, the friend that I'm staying with was able to call right at 10a, so she got our room. We're all set.

rookieroy
11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Got a room at 4:15pm this afternoon no problem with an email confirmation.

esbrechtel
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Got a room at 4:15pm this afternoon no problem with an email confirmation.
do you have tickets as well or just a hotel room....because if you got tickets as well I'd have a hard time believing that because I called at 3:00 pm on the 6th and they told me it was sold out....

BainesHOF
11-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Things open up all the time after events are announced as "sold out."

rookieroy
11-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I didn't believe it at first either. I called at 4:10pm on my cell coming home from work. I forgot about it and just called the Palmer house. I remember asking the woman "are you sure rooms are available and for Soxfest?" She thought I was nuts. I asked her if there was more available and she said "some". She sent me an email confirmation with the specifics and it does say for Soxfest on the confirmation. She was very specific in saying that the White Sox will contact me through email at a later date regarding the passes. Nothing new for me. This will be my 12th Soxfest hotel stay. My family uses this as our winter weekend vacation. :smile:

Brian26
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
do you have tickets as well or just a hotel room....because if you got tickets as well I'd have a hard time believing that because I called at 3:00 pm on the 6th and they told me it was sold out....

Nobody has ordered tickets yet. The Sox are going to contact people individually over the next couple of weeks regarding passes.

The rooms were sold out in the first hour on Tuesday morning.

What most likely happened here was that someone either cancelled or their credit card didn't go through, so a room opened up later in the day.

Parrothead
11-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Then there will be plenty of spots open soon since ST holders are dropping like flies.:tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Grandstand, which as everyone knows is one of the biggest vendors of the Hyatt Soxfests, didn't even bother showing up at the Palmer House. It's just not worth it to pay the same for a smaller space just to sell much less stuff.

Grandstand isn't bothering to show up this year, either. I went down there yesterday and asked Stephanie if they were going to be at SoxFest, and she said her parents don't want to go because the vendor's area is too small and for them to haul everything down to the Palmer House, it's more trouble than it's worth. No Grandstand again this year, guys. :mad: That's too bad because not only do they have great stuff, but they were a lot of fun to hang out with at night.

Brian26
11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
That's too bad because not only do they have great stuff, but they were a lot of fun to hang out with at night.

:?: I'm confused by this. The people at Grandstand always seem "fun to hang out with" when I'm in their store dropping coin on their merchandise that is marked up 40%. I'm not sure why I would ever want to hang out with them "at night" though.

ChiSoxGirl
11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
:?: I'm confused by this.

Stephanie, her sister, and others from their family used to hang out in the Skyline Bar and party with us at night when SoxFest would be at the Hyatt. It was a lot of fun.

Brian26
11-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Stephanie, her sister, and others from their family used to hang out in the Skyline Bar and party with us at night when SoxFest would be at the Hyatt. It was a lot of fun.

Is there anything preventing them from hanging out with their friends at Soxfest this year?

ChiSoxGirl
11-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Is there anything preventing them from hanging out with their friends at Soxfest this year?

No.... Meh, forget that I even said anything.

Brian26
11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
No.... Meh, forget that I even said anything.

Is Stephanie the younger one or the older one that is married? She actually has been very nice to me. She helped me out a few weeks ago when I went in there to buy some of the World Series bobbleheads (they are sold out of Iguchi though :angry:)

ChiSoxGirl
11-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Is Stephanie the younger one or the older one that is married? She actually has been very nice to me. She helped me out a few weeks ago when I went in there to buy some of the World Series bobbleheads (they are sold out of Iguchi though :angry:)

She's the younger one, who's getting married in March.

chisoxmike
11-12-2007, 11:33 AM
More rooms to go on sale...

CHICAGO -- Due to demand, the Chicago White Sox and the Palmer House Hilton have worked together to make additional hotel packages available for SoxFest 2008. A very limited number of the two-night hotel packages will be available to the public on Friday, November 16 at 10 a.m. through the Palmer House Hilton reservation line at (877) 865-5321.

esbrechtel
11-17-2007, 11:15 AM
More rooms to go on sale...
Thanks for the info...I got mine yesterday :smile:

whitesoxwilkes
11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
:?: I'm confused by this. The people at Grandstand always seem "fun to hang out with" when I'm in their store dropping coin on their merchandise that is marked up 40%. I'm not sure why I would ever want to hang out with them "at night" though.

I'm not sure why I would even spend any money in their store. Their surly attitudes and high prices offer no advantage at all over buying stuff off MLB.com or eBay.

JDsDirtySox
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Has anyone who is staying at the hotel got an email from the Sox yet about purchasing passes to Sox Fest?

ChiSoxGirl
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Has anyone who is staying at the hotel got an email from the Sox yet about purchasing passes to Sox Fest?

My friend booked our hotel room and she e-mailed me on Monday morning and said someone from the Sox had just called her about buying the weekend passes, so we're all set. You'll likely get your call at some point. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. :smile:

rookieroy
11-28-2007, 09:51 PM
The Sox called on my cell phone yesterday afternoon and I booked a set of 4 weekend passes. $300.00. Yikes!

yazz32
12-17-2007, 02:32 PM
New Info on attendees:

Players and team members scheduled to appear: Mike Squires, Joel Horlen, Bart Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Bobby Jenks, Javier Vazquez, Jermaine Dye, A.J. Pierzynski, Toby Hall, John Danks, Josh Fields, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, Juan Nieves, Mark Salas and Greg Walker. As current and former team members are scheduled for SoxFest, the list will be updated on Whitesox.com.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest.jsp

rookieroy
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Interesting.....no Konerko or Thome scheduled yet? Boy, if I bought the premium upgrade for $200.00 and they don't appear....that would be frustrating. :(: