PDA

View Full Version : George Mitchell conflict of interest?

ChiSoxFan35
10-23-2007, 04:25 AM
I found this link interesting - http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7364826

-Didn't know that Mitchell was a Red Sox director. Not that I was going to put that much stock into his report anyways,but conflict of interest any one?

- Another reason the report will suck. He had no clue about Byrd, who had prescribed HGH from a Florida clinic under federal investigation for selling these drugs, and he has been open about it, I thought he should be out there talking to players, and you know, investigating. Okay, I didn't really believe that in this mickey mouse operation, but I'm sure we'll hear groundbreaking reports like Giambi being a user in a few months

DumpJerry
10-23-2007, 06:45 AM
...and yet another reason why Selig is a tool. Mitchell should have left the Red Sox Board when selected to investigate or Bud should have found someone else who had no connection whatsoever to any MLB teams (both options are not that hard to do, really).

Mitchell can deny that his judgment was influenced all he wants, but he knows, being a lawyer and politician, that the mere appearance of impropriety is enough to wipe out credibility. Perception is stronger than reality.

As the article speculates, how credible is the report if it names several big name Yankees and two reserves from the Red Sox? The assertion may be 100% true, but the public will always wonder if he isn't trying to get rid of the competition for his business enterprise.

If there are legal challenges to the report from non Red Sox players (especially from the American League) who are implicated, they would stand a good chance of getting the report diminished because of the taint even if Mitchell brings in the Pope to vouch for his credibility.

itsnotrequired
10-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Personally, I feel the report will be pretty damning. Not much will come out of it in terms of league discipline but it will serve as a historical record as to what was happening in the Steriod Era. The ramifications in terms of fan perception, merchandise sales, etc. could be huge.

Dan Mega
10-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Interesting tidbit on Mike & Mike this morning was the timing of the release of Byrd's HGH use. While Mitchell may claim that he didn't have a hand in the timing of the release of this news, one may have to wonder.

And yes, if the report comes out and there are big name playes everywhere and Boston shows up clean, there will be a suspicion for a conflict of interest.

Fenway
10-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Interesting tidbit on Mike & Mike this morning was the timing of the release of Byrd's HGH use. While Mitchell may claim that he didn't have a hand in the timing of the release of this news, one may have to wonder.

And yes, if the report comes out and there are big name playes everywhere and Boston shows up clean, there will be a suspicion for a conflict of interest.

It was a NY Times column yesterday that started this wave of stories

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/sports/baseball/22roberts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/sports/baseball/22roberts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

Mitchell has bristled at the idea of a conflict. And there is no evidence or even an implication that Mitchell has in any way been part of a pro-Red Sox plot to keep the franchise clean.

But perception of preferential treatment is an issue he cannot sidestep with more names leaked every day, with almost every team within six degrees of doping suspicions except the Red Sox.

They enter the World Series untainted. They played last night undistracted.

chisox56
10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
He is speaking at Purdue Thursday, maybe I should ask him.:D:

Domeshot17
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
The only other way I see the pendulam swinging back into Mitchells favor s if he nails a couple big bo sox names. And Im not talkin Manny Delcarmen or even Coco Crisp, we are talkin Lowell-Manny-Papi-Paplebon-Beckett-Schilling territory. Without bringing down one of them, things will look funny, and i hate to say it, but even if all of them are clean. Selig really messed this one up.

SOXPHILE
10-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Sadly, I'm not the least bit surprised. Aside from an occasional big name or two surfacing, to pacify the masses, did anyone really think that any type of "investigation'" initiated by Who's Your Bud Selig would amount to anything, or show that there is widespread steroid / HGH use in MLB, that took place under his watch, and full knowledge ?

:tool
"Derrrr....ahhh....mmmmmm...I have no knowledge of any performance enhancing drug usage, and will always do everything in my power to root it out....uhhhh....hey, look..look over here at this instead...I propose we expand the league playoffs to 3 rounds, and extend the World Series to best of 6 out of 11. Also, runs can only be scored in the All-Star game via the homerun, and the winner determines home field advantage for the World Series. This time it counts..oh wait, already did that part. But don't worry about any of that other stuff.......

SBSoxFan
10-23-2007, 02:34 PM
He is speaking at Purdue Thursday, maybe I should ask him.:D:

Just don't get tasered!

itsnotrequired
10-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Sadly, I'm not the least bit surprised. Aside from an occasional big name or two surfacing, to pacify the masses, did anyone really think that any type of "investigation'" initiated by Who's Your Bud Selig would amount to anything, or show that there is widespread steroid / HGH use in MLB, that took place under his watch, and full knowledge ?

:tool
"Derrrr....ahhh....mmmmmm...I have no knowledge of any performance enhancing drug usage, and will always do everything in my power to root it out....uhhhh....hey, look..look over here at this instead...I propose we expand the league playoffs to 3 rounds, and extend the World Series to best of 6 out of 11. Also, runs can only be scored in the All-Star game via the homerun, and the winner determines home field advantage for the World Series. This time it counts..oh wait, already did that part. But don't worry about any of that other stuff.......

Bud got the owners together and told them that the report will be naming names and they should "be prepared" for possible ramifications. Like i said, i think this report will have more "bite" than people are giving it credit for.

fusillirob1983
10-23-2007, 09:31 PM
It was a NY Times column yesterday that started this wave of stories

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/sports/baseball/22roberts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/sports/baseball/22roberts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

Mitchell has bristled at the idea of a conflict. And there is no evidence or even an implication that Mitchell has in any way been part of a pro-Red Sox plot to keep the franchise clean.

But perception of preferential treatment is an issue he cannot sidestep with more names leaked every day, with almost every team within six degrees of doping suspicions except the Red Sox.

They enter the World Series untainted. They played last night undistracted.

It's good to know some newspapers act like a newspaper in spite of a possible conflict of interest.

CLR01
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
- Another reason the report will suck. He had no clue about Byrd, who had prescribed HGH from a Florida clinic under federal investigation for selling these drugs, and he has been open about it,

Open about it with whom? MLB? Nope. The Indians? Nope. Kansas Cty, Atlanta, LAAAOCSCCAUSA? Haven't heard anything from them claiming to know about it. His teammates? They all appear to be clueless. His Florida dentist who got busted for illegal distribution? I guess he was open with him.

Fenway
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
It's good to know some newspapers act like a newspaper in spite of a possible conflict of interest.

The Times has been one of the Red Sox biggest critics.

In some ways their 17% ownership of the Red Sox is worse than the Tribune owning the Cubs.

I know the Globe writers are very uneasy about it ( The Times owns the Boston Globe )

Medford Bobby
10-25-2007, 06:50 PM
:o: That means a new HGH bombshell about a Colorado Rockie player will be released late Friday night prior to the games continuing in Denver!:angry: