PDA

View Full Version : Why does MLB have to be so cheap?

Fenway
10-22-2007, 09:12 AM
This bugs me.

Couldn't MLB been able to put the word American on the locker room hats instead of just League Champions?

All they do is just glue the logo on..... For $29.95 I think the name of the league should be there.
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-4164172dt.jpg
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-4164156dt.jpg

Oblong
10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
but would it bug you as much if that were chief wahoo on there instead of the "B"?

In other words.... your team won the AL title. To quote Nigel Tufnel "Well that's just nitpickin"

:wink:

Fenway
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
but would it bug you as much if that were chief wahoo on there instead of the "B"?

In other words.... your team won the AL title. To quote Nigel Tufnel "Well that's just nitpickin"

I should have picked up an Indians hat on Friday :lol:

DeuceUnit
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM

Seriously, cry me a river.

itsnotrequired
10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Seriously, cry me a river.

Eh, it does seem a little cheap on MLB's part.

Ragator43
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Does MLB have the last word on the design of the hats, or is it all left up to New Era?

roylestillman
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
That could be the ugliest hat ever. Takes some of the sting away

Fenway
10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
That could be the ugliest hat ever. Takes some of the sting away

It really is not a good looking design :(:

Foulke You
10-22-2007, 02:12 PM
It does seem really cheap not to have "American League Champions" instead of just "League Champions" on there. How cheap can MLB/New Era be? God forbid they have to make TWO different hats.:rolleyes:

soxfan26
10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't see it, are we really confused as to what league the Red Sox or Rockies play in? Next crisis please...

itsnotrequired
10-22-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't see it, are we really confused as to what league the Red Sox or Rockies play in? Next crisis please...

I don't think anyone will be confused but making the same hat and just gluing the logo of whichever team wins reeks of cheapness. What's next, drawing an 'X' through the Cleveland Indians WS gear that was on sale earlier this week and writing Boston Red Sox above it? MLB could sell it for half price and cut their losses!

Hitmen77
10-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I agree. They look very cheap and GENERIC. I wouldn't pay money for those.

The one thing I used to like about baseball is that being "American League Champions" or "National League Champions" and "pennant" really sounded like a great achievement on its own. It always seemed more substantial that the "conference champs" of the other major sports. People don't talk about a team winning the NBA Eastern Conference "pennant".

These hats look like they could apply to any league's conference title. When the Sox won the AL pennant in 2005, I even saw several TV commentators and merchandise in stores which referred to them as "ALCS champs" instead of American League Champs. Aside from the redundancy in saying ALCS Champs, it just sounded so watered-down to me.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I agree. They look very cheap and GENERIC. I wouldn't pay money for those.

The one thing I used to like about baseball is that being "American League Champions" or "National League Champions" and "pennant" really sounded like a great achievement on its own. It always seemed more substantial that the "conference champs" of the other major sports. People don't talk about a team winning the NBA Eastern Conference "pennant".

These hats look like they could apply to any league's conference title. When the Sox won the AL pennant in 2005, I even saw several TV commentators and merchandise in stores which referred to them as "ALCS champs" instead of American League Champs. Aside from the redundancy in saying ALCS Champs, it just sounded so watered-down to me.

When my ALCS hat started to peel away where the Sox logo was stuck to it, I felt that MLB, in their rush to get these made on the cheap, took the quickest route possible to get hats sold.

It is a shame that the "locker room hat" now worn to celebrate will be as generic as everyone elses. Let the teams have a say in what they look like; an embroidered White Sox World Series hat is much cooler than a generic fodder offering that falls apart after several wears.

I know it won't happen, but it's what I'd like to see.

What's next - MLB will handle production of WS rings, all the WS rings made out of Yankee Blue just in case the Yankees start to win again, thereby saving redesign fees?

DumpJerry
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
IIRC, the Astros and us had the same design for LCS success, just different color scheme (like the Rockies' and Red Sox') and the words "National League" or "American League." It's nothing new that MLB uses the same design for both WS teams, but I agree it is cheap looking to leave out the league's name.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Things like this bug me. There are meant to be two separate leagues in baseball. It's one of the things that makes it unique and an important part of its history. Bud Selig has done nothing but downplay this. Since he has been commissioner, he has eliminated the league presidents, instituted interleague play, combined the umpires and once tried to eliminate the leagues entirely.

Or maybe it's just a hat.

IlliniSox4Life
10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I have no problem having the same design for each of the potential teams to win the ALCS or NLCS (and just attaching the patch to it). It would be nice if it wasn't a glued on patch, but I get the fact that they want to sell these quickly, and that they don't want to make several thousand extra hats nobody will use. I also don't have a problem if they make the hats similar looking in the two leagues. However, they shouldn't be the same hat with a different patch for the two leagues. Give it a different color or switch the design up a bit, and for god's sake, write the name of the league on the hat.

pierzynski07
10-22-2007, 09:37 PM
ThOr maybe it's just a hat.
Ding ding ding!

CLR01
10-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't want to live in an America where we are forced to buy identical AL and NL league champion hats which don't distinguish between the leagues.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't want to live in an America where we are forced to buy identical AL and NL league champion hats which don't distinguish between the leagues.I say we take it to the streets!! The Man can't take away our individualism like this!

Harry Potter
10-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Somebody email Brooks