PDA

View Full Version : In case if you wondered if Gammons rooted for Boston

Fenway
10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2007/10/22/1193059191_1079.jpg

Britt Burns
10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
That's along the lines of wondering if the sun came up in the east this morning.

pierzynski07
10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Is that a problem?

HerzogVon
10-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Gammons is nothing more than a poor man's George Plimpton; always has been, always will be. The only difference is that Gammons isn't dead. Pity.

Fenway
10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Gammons is nothing more than a poor man's George Plimpton; always has been, always will be. The only difference is that Gammons isn't dead. Pity.

I would like to see Gammons try to play the game like George did

http://static.flickr.com/67/175001591_c6f5a87069_o.jpg

eriqjaffe
10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
That's along the lines of wondering if the sun came up in the east this morning.According to ESPN, the sun comes up and sets in the east.

HerzogVon
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM

That wasn't so much intended as a swipe at Plimpton - narcissistic as he often was - but rather at Gammon's feeble attempt to resemble him. Kind of like every Massachusetts politician insisting upon having hair just like JFK's.

Other really annoying people with "studied" looks:

Gerry Spence ( 500 buckskin jackets, all identical )
Tom Wolfe ( Ice cream suits )
Don Imus ( More cowboy attire, and that stupid scowl. )
Gloria Allred ( Always wears red, get it? )
Truman Capote ( Oh, never mind. He's dead, too. )

Tragg
10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
That's along the lines of wondering if the sun came up in the east this morning.

LOL
But so true

TDog
10-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Other really annoying people with "studied" looks:

Gerry Spence ( 500 buckskin jackets, all identical )
Tom Wolfe ( Ice cream suits )
Don Imus ( More cowboy attire, and that stupid scowl. )
Gloria Allred ( Always wears red, get it? )
Truman Capote ( Oh, never mind. He's dead, too. )

And in another affected fashion statement, Yul Brenner always wore black, except on Sundays when he dressed in colors. I didn't find George Plimpton annoying, though. I think he had more respect for sports than most journalists and most fans.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM

And don't forget:
http://buildersbooksite.com/pics/b_Paper_Lion.jpg

roylestillman
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
According to ESPN, the sun comes up and sets in the east.

Post of the Week!

soltrain21
10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
The only difference is that Gammons isn't dead. Pity.

Aren't we full of class?

I like Gammons. He loves the game just like we all do.

chisox77
10-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I like Gammons as well. Chances are, he knows much about the White Sox. Over the years, he has been fair to our team, in spite of his obvious loyalties to Boston.

:cool:

Brian26
10-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Aren't we full of class?

I like Gammons. He loves the game just like we all do.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disturbed by that comment.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Gammons gave the White Sox unbelievable props after the clincher in '05. At the postgame desk ESPN had set up in the outfield at Minute Maid, Gammons ran down the White Sox playoff run and ranked it right up there with the '98 Yankees and '75 Reds, along with the '27 Yankees, as one of the most dominating runs in baseball history. He spent a solid five minutes listing the stats, detailing the pitching performances, and giving due credit where it was deserved. Gammons will always be cool in my book. He earned my respect that night.

FarWestChicago
10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
The only difference is that Gammons isn't dead. Pity.I can't believe you are wishing Gammons was dead. That's about as classless as it gets. You are on quite thin ice.

FarWestChicago
10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Gammons gave the White Sox unbelievable props after the clincher in '05. At the postgame desk ESPN had set up in the outfield at Minute Maid, Gammons ran down the White Sox playoff run and ranked it right up there with the '98 Yankees and '75 Reds, along with the '27 Yankees, as one of the most dominating runs in baseball history. He spent a solid five minutes listing the stats, detailing the pitching performances, and giving due credit where it was deserved. Gammons will always be cool in my book. He earned my respect that night.I remember that quite well. It changed my opinion of him, too.

chisoxmike
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Gammons also said after Game 2 (I believe.) The Cell was the loudest ballpark he's ever heard during the World Series, louder than Yankee Stadium in the late nineties.

He may be a Red Sox fan, but unlike most of his colleges at ESPN, he usually doesn't state Boston is the end all of all baseball happenings.

Oblong
10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
anyone who jams with Geddy is ok in my book.

http://www.wowway.com/~oblong/gammons.jpg

TheOldRoman
10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I remember that quite well. It changed my opinion of him, too.
WEST WATCHED ESPN?! Shame on you, you broke your own rule!:D:

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Gammons gave the White Sox unbelievable props after the clincher in '05. At the postgame desk ESPN had set up in the outfield at Minute Maid, Gammons ran down the White Sox playoff run and ranked it right up there with the '98 Yankees and '75 Reds, along with the '27 Yankees, as one of the most dominating runs in baseball history. He spent a solid five minutes listing the stats, detailing the pitching performances, and giving due credit where it was deserved. Gammons will always be cool in my book. He earned my respect that night.

100% correct. He really did give our team, fans, and the White Sox organization as a whole some major props that night. :thumbsup:

harwar
10-23-2007, 07:16 AM
100% correct. He really did give our team, fans, and the White Sox organization as a whole some major props that night. :thumbsup:
Yea, and he's been doing that since the mid 90's when he couldn't say enough good things about Jack McDowell and before the 05 series even started,he was saying things like these(White Sox)fans know their history as well as red sox fans ..they get it. High praise indeed.I'll just think of the time that he said we should be contracted because "who needs 3 teams within a 90 mile radius" as a mental hickup.I hope he never retires.

kraut83
10-23-2007, 07:50 AM
I like Gammons as well. Even though his Red Sox fandom can cross the lines of being a professional journalist, it shows he is a real baseball fan.

spawn
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Add me to the list of people that acutally likes Gammons. I don't care if he is a Red Sox fan...unlike most of the baseball writers as ESPN, he's pretty fair in his critique of baseball teams in general. He doesn't seem to have a bias when he's reporting. At least that's how I see it.

dickallen15
10-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Gammons is a long time Red Sox season ticketholder. So what, all these guys have a favorite team. I don't have any problem with him.

HerzogVon
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I can't believe you are wishing Gammons was dead. That's about as classless as it gets. You are on quite thin ice.

You don't know hyperbole when you read it? How about dramatic exaggeration? I suppose this means that everything written here should be taken literally? ( In which case, half the group should be banned for "hate crimes". ) No, it's nothing that serious. If I really wished him dead - which I don't - then I'd keep silent about it. Same thing about blowing up Wrigley Field, and all that nonsense.

Sorry, but I'm an emotional guy, and one of those emotions is crankiness. Or, haven't you noticed?

soltrain21
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
You don't know hyperbole when you read it? How about dramatic exaggeration? I suppose this means that everything written here should be taken literally? ( In which case, half the group should be banned for "hate crimes". ) No, it's nothing that serious. If I really wished him dead - which I don't - then I'd keep silent about it. Same thing about blowing up Wrigley Field, and all that nonsense.

Nothing seemed to be lost in translation when you wrote it. It sincerely sounded like you wanted him dead.

Hyperbole would be "I hope a fighter jet soars over Fenway Park at Game 1 and kills everyone in it, followed by a fault line cracking; making the entire east coast float away."

That's hyperbole.

Gregory Pratt
10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Reading people's insults of the dead I think, "Oh, it's nice that you can't slander/libel a dead person because they're dead, so you can say whatever."

Ah, the law!

I like Gammons. He's good at his job and he's knowledgeable. I've mocked his fandom, but he's good.

ChiSoxFan35
10-23-2007, 08:08 PM
The thing about ESPN, except for maybe some people who have vendettas (like a Chris Berman?), I think it's less about trying to disrespect teams, and more about having such a focus on some teams that everyone else gets slapped in the face in the process. In the end, they may be former players or good in front of camera, but it doesn't mean they follow today's game enough, know what's going on in the inside, or that they can predict anything.

I came to a great realization about sports radio. Why should I listen to a bunch of idiots talk to me who don't even know the inner workings of the game as well as I do? Most of these guys get paid nice sums to talk about it, but hardly follow it, and can't give me analysis about strategy, important aspects of labor agreements, contract information and situations, etc. Instead, they throw out vanilla topics that gets boring quick, and then rip on their callers for not doing their part. A message board is 1000x better, no waiting on hold, and I can pick and choose the topics.

I do like Peter Gammons though. The people inside baseball respect him so he can get some inside info. Even if he makes it known he loves the Red Sox, I don't mind, as long as it doesn't make his information really biased (which I haven't noticed), like some examples of the Trib.

TDog
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I like Gammons as well. Even though his Red Sox fandom can cross the lines of being a professional journalist, it shows he is a real baseball fan.

I liked Gammons before there was an ESPN, or at least before I knew there was an ESPN. He was a baseball insider in The Sporting News when TSN still had respect for baseball.

I have often thought that it would be difficult for me to cover baseball professionally because one of the priorities in my life is being a White Sox fan. I don't think I could remain a White Sox fan and cover the White Sox effectively. Ring Lardner, a big White Sox fan, I have read, became embittered gave up writing about baseball altogether after doing important journalistic work regarding the Black Sox scandal.

Baseball is different when it becomes your job. I don't watch ESPN, but I've never had any problem with Gammons' general objectivity. I've always considered that his focus on the Red Sox related to the fact that he lived and worked in Boston.

Ex-Chicagoan
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I'd much rather have a guy like Gammons, a passionate fan, covering the game than someone who's simply trying to incite the masses on a daily basis for a check.