PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 Whitesox

gogosox16
10-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Whitesox send Contreras and Crede to the Dodgers for Chin Lung Hu, James Loney, and Delwyn Young

Sox send Konerko to the Angels for Scott Shields and pitch prospect.

Sox send Garland and prospect to Baltimore for Miguel Tejada and Hayden Penn

Sox Sign A-Rod.

Sox sign Scott Linebrink

Catcher A.J.
1st James Loney
2nd Chin Lung Hu or Danny Richar
SS Miguel Tejada
3rd A-Rod
LF Josh Fields
CF Jerry Owens or Delwyn Young
RF Jermaine
DH Thome

Bench
Ozuna
Hall
Owens/Young
Hu/Richar

Pitching Rotation
Buehrle
Vazquez
next 3 either Danks, Floyd, Penn, Broadway, Gonzalez, Egbert, Phillips, Russel, Masset and possibly others

Bullpen
Jenks
Shields
Thorton
Logan
Linebrink
Wasserman
a pitcher that didnt make in the rotation for long relief

What do you think?

MrT27
10-21-2007, 03:10 PM
I think there is no way the Dodgers or Orioles do those deals.

DSpivack
10-21-2007, 03:12 PM
That's a really expensive, really bad team.

gogosox16
10-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I think there is no way the Dodgers or Orioles do those deals.
Lol. It would be nice if they did

JermaineDye05
10-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe if I was playing 'The Show' I'd be able to pull of these trades.

thomas35forever
10-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Dream on, kid. It ain't gonna happen.

upperdeckusc
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Whitesox send Contreras and Crede to the Dodgers for Chin Lung Hu, James Loney, and Delwyn Young

Sox Sign A-Rod.

Sox sign Scott Linebrink

Catcher A.J.
1st James Loney
SS Miguel Tejada
3rd A-Rod
LF Josh Fields
RF Jermaine
DH Thome

Bench
Ozuna
Hall
Owens/Young
Hu/Richar

Pitching Rotation
Buehrle
Vazquez
next 3 either Danks, Floyd, Penn, Broadway, Gonzalez, Egbert, Phillips, Russel, Masset and possibly others

Bullpen
Jenks
Shields
Thorton
Logan
Linebrink
Wasserman

What do you think?

you must be a stand-up comedian if you think we'd take shields and a prospect for konerko. TEX got more for texeira and its contract renewal time for him. shields plus 2 other above avg players for konerko, minimum.

chisoxmike
10-21-2007, 04:12 PM
That teams wins 75 games max.

There's no starting pitching.

Rockabilly
10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
my 2008 team

C AJ
1B Konerko
2B Kendrick ( trade for garland and Crede)
SS Wood ( trade for garland and Crede)
3B Fields
DH Thome
RF Dye
CF Hunter (Free Agent)
LF Crawford ( trade for Broadway, Masset Adam Russell
Bench R Sweeney OF, J Owens OF, D Richar, P Ozuna and T Hall C

Rotation

M Buehrle
J Vazquez
J Fogg ( Free agent)
E Santana ( trade for Garland and Crede)
J Danks

Bullpen
Gonzalez LR
Floyd RR
Thornton LR
F Cordero RR (Free agent)
C Cordero RR ( Contreras, B Anderson and Mid level prospect)
B Jenks Closer

MDF3530
10-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Sox Sign A-Rod.

Sox sign Scott Linebrink

Catcher A.J.
1st James Loney
SS Miguel Tejada
3rd A-Rod
LF Josh Fields
RF Jermaine
DH Thome

Bench
Ozuna
Hall
Owens/Young
Hu/Richar

Pitching Rotation
Buehrle
Vazquez

Bullpen
Jenks
Shields
Thorton
Logan
Linebrink
Wasserman

What do you think?I think you need to pass on whatever it is you're smoking.

Stoky44
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
my 2008 team

C Víctor Martínez (trade for Uribe, AJ, Donny Lucy, R Bukvich, Sisco, and Cintron)
1B Albert Pujols (trade for Konerko)
2B Brian Roberts (trade for J Fields)
SS Derek Jeter ( trade for garland and Crede)
3B Alex Rodriguez (Free Agent)
DH David Ortiz (trade for Thome)
RF Magglio Ordóñez (trade for Dye)
CF Hunter (Free Agent)
LF Ichiro Suzuki ( trade for Broadway, Masset Adam Russell
Bench Carl Crawford (trade for Sweeney) OF, Grady Sizemore (trade for Owens) OF, Chase Utley (trade for Richar), Vladimir Guerrero (trade for Ozuna and B Anderson) and Iván Rodríguez (trade for T Hall) C

I know that some of these bench guys may have a tough time taking a lesser role, but we could get them all a championship. Plus the way Ozzie uses his bench, they would still get lots of PT.

If we got this lineup it may be one of the better lineups in the game.

Rotation

M Buehrle
Josh Beckett (trade for Vazquez and Danks)
C. C. Sabathia (trade for Uribe, AJ, Donny Lucy, R Bukvich, Sisco, and Cintron)
Johan Santana (trade for Contreras and Floyd)
Jake Peavy (trade Phillips, Myers, Logan)

Bullpen
John Smoltz (trade for Erstad and 2 Mid level prospects)
J.J. Putz (trade for MacDougal and Wassermann)
Jonathan Papelbon (trade Gonalez)
Francisco Rodríguez (Thornton and Mid level prospect)
Billy Wagner (Not sure yet, mid/low level prospects, maybe a few draft picks, we could just eat his contract for the Mets)
B Jenks Closer

I don't know about you guys but I would be pretty stoked with this team, I think we could win at least 85-90 ball games a year. We do lose our core guys, and young talent, but we might be a better team overall. I know the money could be a little issue, but I am sure we would make up for it in ticket sales and sponsorships.

What do you guys think, is it a good team, better than last years? Could we swing these deals, I think it pretty even trades.

Jjav829
10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I like how the starting rotation has 2 guys with guaranteed spots and then a list of candidates for the other 3 spots. As if a MLB starting rotation is just something you piece together from a group of guys.

DumpJerry
10-21-2007, 08:19 PM
my 2008 team

C Víctor Martínez (trade for Uribe, AJ, Donny Lucy, R Bukvich, Sisco, and Cintron)
CF Hunter (Free Agent)
Bench Carl Crawford (trade for Sweeney) OF, Grady Sizemore (trade for Owens) OF, Chase Utley (trade for Richar), Vladimir Guerrero (trade for Ozuna and B Anderson) and Iván Rodríguez (trade for T Hall) C

I know that some of these bench guys may have a tough time taking a lesser role, but we could get them all a championship. Plus the way Ozzie uses his bench, they would still get lots of PT.

Rotation

M Buehrle

Bullpen
Billy Wagner (Not sure yet, mid/low level prospects, maybe a few draft picks, we could just eat his contract for the Mets)
B Jenks Closer

I don't know about you guys but I would be pretty stoked with this team, I think we could win at least 85-90 ball games a year. We do lose our core guys, and young talent, but we might be a better team overall. I know the money could be a little issue, but I am sure we would make up for it in ticket sales and sponsorships.

What do you guys think, is it a good team, better than last years? Could we swing these deals, I think it pretty even trades.
Let's see: all the position players and DH you list are currently not on the White Sox. The Red Sox would give us Papelbon for an unproven pitcher (I assume you meant Gio and not Andy Gonzalez). Why do we need Papelbon anyway? Jenks is the man.

So, from all appearances, the only players you currently like on the White Sox are Bobby Jenks and Mark Buehrle. At least you don't have Rowand coming back.

Jjav829
10-21-2007, 08:31 PM
my 2008 team

CF Hunter (Free Agent)

Rotation

M Buehrle

Bullpen
B Jenks Closer

That's not a bad team. But we can't trade Erstad as he's a free agent. And I'm not sure we could get Brian Roberts for Josh Fields. But otherwise, not a bad team. We could maybe compete with that team if we got a few lucky breaks.

Brian26
10-21-2007, 08:57 PM

You lost me on this one.

Brian26
10-21-2007, 08:59 PM
As if a MLB starting rotation is just something you piece together from a group of guys.

Hey now, that's how the NL Central was won this year. :D:

soxfanreggie
10-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't know...I think we need more home run hitting capacity than this Rodriguez, Ortiz, and Pujols trio. That Suzuki guy...he probably can't hit for average...Mendoze line for sure. Jeter...probably knows nothing about winning a World Series, neither would Beckett or Smoltz. And who are you trying to fool...some guys with names like Putz and Papelbon...those guys don't really exist...c'mon, quit trying to pull my leg!

:)

Gavin
10-22-2007, 07:47 AM
my 2008 team

CF Hunter (Free Agent)

Rotation

M Buehrle

Bullpen
B Jenks Closer

I think this a good team, probably enough to win in upper 80s. The AL central though is going to need more than 87 wins to get the magic ticket and the Yankees always seem to find a way to win so this team is probably staying home in October 2008.

kittle42
10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Let's see: all the position players and DH you list are currently not on the White Sox. The Red Sox would give us Papelbon for an unproven pitcher (I assume you meant Gio and not Andy Gonzalez). Why do we need Papelbon anyway? Jenks is the man.

So, from all appearances, the only players you currently like on the White Sox are Bobby Jenks and Mark Buehrle. At least you don't have Rowand coming back.

I thought it was pretty clear he was lampooning the other posts.

JohnTucker0814
10-22-2007, 03:13 PM
my 2008 team

CF Hunter (Free Agent)

Rotation

M Buehrle

Bullpen
B Jenks Closer

You have Sizemore, Crawford and Guerrero on the bench??? You must be joking! Roberts over Utley... man, you have a wicked mind!

ma-gaga
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
my 2008 team

CF Hunter (Free Agent)
M Buehrle

Bullpen
B Jenks Closer

It's an ok team, but it doesn't beat my 2008 Twins:
C: Joe Mauer - No trading required
1B: Prince Fielder - Trade for Justin Morneau and Juan Rincon
2B: Robinson Cano - Traded Scott Baker
3B: David Wright - Traded Nick Punto and Cash
SS: Hanley Ramirez - Traded Jason Bartlett and Carlos Silva
LF: Manny Ramirez - Traded Alexi Casilla and Matt Garza
CF: Troy Tulowitzki - This was tough, the Rockies needed Slowey AND Jason Tyner.
RF: Michael Cuddyer - No trading required.

The starting rotation is :
Johan Santana (The Twins actually traded the W.Sox Juanio Santana, a distant cousin of Johan), Brandon Webb (for Mike Redmond), Josh Beckett (for Kubel), Haren (for Rondel White's expiring contract), Bedard (For Matt Moses and Denard Spahn), and Roy Halladay (for free). You can never really have too much pitching, so the Twins got an "extra" starter.

The bullpen is:
Joe Nathan, Pat Neshak, Matt Guerrer, Heath Bell, Takashi Saito and Manuel Corpas. A nice little underrated bullpen. Hopefully they can close out some games.

I need to figure out my bench first. I definitely think that I could use a backup catcher. I shouldn't have traded away Redmond.

:gulp:

guillen4life13
10-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I understand that Paul Konerko is a "clubhouse leader" and has been on the team longer than anyone else. However, I think it could be in the team's best interests to trade him.

If Konerko is packaged with a guy like Garland or Crede, would the Angels bite? The Angels would get Konerko through 2010, but Crede/Garland are there only for 2008. I would hope for Konerko/Crede for a package of Figgins+relief pitching (salary impact: -~7M). Figgins is only signed through 2008 as well, so the Sox would do well to negotiate a deal with him sooner rather than later. This would also free up some salary for the Sox to enter that A-Rod sweepstakes. Assume the Sox sign him at around $30-32M/year. Through these two deals your net salary impact is around +$25 Million for 2008, but the Sox instantly upgrade in three aspects of their game: relief pitching, leadoff, power hitting. Fields moves to 1B.
Next, you trade Contreras with the intent of unloading as much salary as possible. How much of his salary is still paid by the Yankees anyways? However, there are still unresolved situations: LF, and filling out the rotation. Depending on what the Sox can do with Contreras, it could be possible to sign Jose Guillen to play LF (or move Dye to LF for Guillen to play RF).

The knowns would be:

3B Figgins
CF Owens
SS A-Rod
RF Dye
DH Thome
LF Guillen
C Pierzynski
1B Fields
2B Richar

Bench
Ozuna
Lucy
Anderson
Cintron

Rotation
Buehrle
Vazquez
Garland
Danks
Your Pick (Floyd, Gio, Broadway, Haeger, non-roster invitee...)

Relief
Jenks
Shields
Wasserman
Thornton
??
??

Net Salary increase: ~30M.

It might be a little out of reach, but considering the estimates for added revenue by signing A-Rod, would Reinsdorf do something like this? The rotation is still a bit underdeveloped, but even the best teams need to hope for a bit of luck. I think Danks will prove himself ready this time around, and I would expect KW to invite some aging vets/journeymen to camp as he does every year to compete with the prospects for the last rotation spot. It's not a champion caliber rotation, but it certainly has the potential to be. The lineup is definitely a championship caliber lineup, even with Richar and Owens being somewhat unproven.

I swear I don't smoke crack!

Nellie_Fox
10-23-2007, 01:07 AM
...This would also free up some salary for the Sox to enter that A-Rod sweepstakes. Assume the Sox sign him at around $30-32M/year. You really want 1/4 of the payroll going to one guy?

...considering the estimates for added revenue by signing A-Rod, would Reinsdorf do something like this? Whose estimates, Boras? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

guillen4life13
10-23-2007, 02:45 AM
You really want 1/4 of the payroll going to one guy?

Yep.

Whose estimates, Boras? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

In another thread, Flight had linked to a CNN Money article about the economic impact A-Rod would have for the team that signs him. I know Bora$ is going to inflate the estimates to play up his client, but considering the overall team upgrades (not just limited to A-Rod), the team could be an advertising monster. Jersey sales, increased ticket sales (=more concessions), not to mention the added television revenue. Someone had mentioned that Reinsdorf is a 40% owner of CSN Chicago.

The moves I have proposed would, IMHO, greatly improve the team from where it is right now on a number of levels and there would be a dramatic increase in W's.

Ten years ago, the Bulls paid Michael Jordan over $30 million. Of course, Michael was (and still is) Michael, but there are two things you have to take into account. First off, $30 million ten years ago would be reasonably more by 2007 standards. Secondly, The Bulls played about 52 games per year (including playoffs) in a 25,000 capacity venue when Jordan made that money. Here, provided he stays healthy, you can pencil A-Rod in for 78 games at the very least in a 40,000 capacity venue.

Michael was the best in the business at that time and many believed he was the best ever, and while he was still an awesome player in 96-97 and 97-98, his career was on the wane. Right now, A-Rod is the best position player in the MLB, is in his prime, and barring injury or another bizarre event, will be considered one of the best, if not the best position player ever. See the similarities?

No, I don't suggest that A-Rod is equal to MJ in terms of marketability because no one is, no one ever has been, and I doubt anyone ever will be again, but I still think, given the added number of games, increased capacity, inflation, and A-Rod milestone implications, the deals are comparable.

mcp5185
10-23-2007, 06:06 AM
I understand that Paul Konerko is a "clubhouse leader" and has been on the team longer than anyone else. However, I think it could be in the team's best interests to trade him.

If Konerko is packaged with a guy like Garland or Crede, would the Angels bite? The Angels would get Konerko through 2010, but Crede/Garland are there only for 2008. I would hope for Konerko/Crede for a package of Figgins+relief pitching (salary impact: -~7M). Figgins is only signed through 2008 as well, so the Sox would do well to negotiate a deal with him sooner rather than later. This would also free up some salary for the Sox to enter that A-Rod sweepstakes. Assume the Sox sign him at around $30-32M/year. Through these two deals your net salary impact is around +$25 Million for 2008, but the Sox instantly upgrade in three aspects of their game: relief pitching, leadoff, power hitting. Fields moves to 1B.
Next, you trade Contreras with the intent of unloading as much salary as possible. How much of his salary is still paid by the Yankees anyways? However, there are still unresolved situations: LF, and filling out the rotation. Depending on what the Sox can do with Contreras, it could be possible to sign Jose Guillen to play LF (or move Dye to LF for Guillen to play RF).

The knowns would be:

3B Figgins
CF Owens
SS A-Rod
RF Dye
DH Thome
LF Guillen
C Pierzynski
1B Fields
2B Richar

Bench
Ozuna
Lucy
Anderson
Cintron

Rotation
Buehrle
Vazquez
Garland
Danks
Your Pick (Floyd, Gio, Broadway, Haeger, non-roster invitee...)

Relief
Jenks
Shields
Wasserman
Thornton
??
??

Net Salary increase: ~30M.

It might be a little out of reach, but considering the estimates for added revenue by signing A-Rod, would Reinsdorf do something like this? The rotation is still a bit underdeveloped, but even the best teams need to hope for a bit of luck. I think Danks will prove himself ready this time around, and I would expect KW to invite some aging vets/journeymen to camp as he does every year to compete with the prospects for the last rotation spot. It's not a champion caliber rotation, but it certainly has the potential to be. The lineup is definitely a championship caliber lineup, even with Richar and Owens being somewhat unproven.

I swear I don't smoke crack!

First of all Figgins and a reliever for Konerko straight up would be ok, no way do you throw in Garland or Crede, unless you get way more in return.

I would trade Konerko and a mid level prospect or two to the Angels for Figgins, Shields, and Kotchman. Then I'd trade Garland, Crede, and a someone like Egbert/Russell to the Dodgers for Furcal and Chad Billingsley. Then you sign Rowand and a reliever (Linebrink?), and we're set.

LF- Figgins
SS- Furcal
DH- Thome
RF- Dye
3B- Fields
CF- Rowand
1B- Kotchman
C- Pierzynski
2B- Richar
Bench- Ozuna, Hall, Cintron, Anderson

And for the Pitchers...
1. Buehrle
2. Vazquez
3. Contreras
4. Billingsley
5. Danks
Pen- Jenks, Shields, Linebrink, Thornton, Wasserman, Logan, Floyd

Thoughts?

JohnTucker0814
10-23-2007, 08:39 AM
First of all Figgins and a reliever for Konerko straight up would be ok, no way do you throw in Garland or Crede, unless you get way more in return.

I would trade Konerko and a mid level prospect or two to the Angels for Figgins, Shields, and Kotchman. Then I'd trade Garland, Crede, and a someone like Egbert/Russell to the Dodgers for Furcal and Chad Billingsley. Then you sign Rowand and a reliever (Linebrink?), and we're set.

LF- Figgins
SS- Furcal
DH- Thome
RF- Dye
3B- Fields
CF- Rowand
1B- Kotchman
C- Pierzynski
2B- Richar

And for the Pitchers...
1. Buehrle
2. Vazquez
3. Contreras
4. Billingsley
5. Danks

Thoughts?

As much as I'd love to trade Garland and Crede for Furcal and Billingsly... I doubt the Dodger's are going to give up Billingsly. We may want to try for Kemp instead of Billingsly. Maybe do a Garland, Crede & prospect for Furcal and Kemp. Kemp can play CF, Furcal can lead off.

ss Furcal
cf Kemp
dh Thome
1B Konerko
rf Dye
3b Fields
c Pierzynski
2b Richar
lf Owens

sp Buehrle
sp Contreras
sp Danks
sp (sign a quality veteran)
sp Gio, Floyd, Broadway, etc...

rp jenks
rp thornton
rp wasserman
rp (sign veteran)
rp broadway/gio/floyd
rp logan

Then we are looking at only making 1 trade and signing a few veterans. I think this improves our team by a lot. You look at the speed at the top of the order, you move owens to #9 where he may be able to flourish. The big key would be to sign a veteran pitcher to be our #3... keep Danks at #4.

guillen4life13
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM

You really think so? Figgins will be 30 next season, and is coming off a .330/.393 with 41 SB's. Konerko is coming off a down year and while Crede/Boras claim crede will be 100% opening day, it's still a little suspicious. If we can get Kotchman in the deal along with Shields and Figgins, I'd be overjoyed. The Sox put him in at 3B and Fields will have to move to LF. Kotchman won't bring the production of Jose Guillen, but he's a much less significant financial burden as well. He hits for good average and OBP though he is not the typical slugger 1B. 25 by opening day. Would the Angels really give Kotchman, Figgins and Shields for Konerko and Crede? I'm very skeptical.

LF- Figgins
SS- Furcal
DH- Thome
RF- Dye
3B- Fields
CF- Rowand
1B- Kotchman
C- Pierzynski
2B- Richar

And for the Pitchers...
1. Buehrle
2. Vazquez
3. Contreras
4. Billingsley
5. Danks

Thoughts?

On a financial level, your propositions are probably more realistic than mine, but I think that Konerko trade proposal would have KW on the receiving end of a glove across the cheek from Tony Reagins. I'm also not sure I would want Furcal playing for the Sox--not at his current price tag especially considering that around doubling that money gets you a far more valuable, advertisable player in A-Rod.

I also don't think you would be able to pull a Garland+Crede+Egbert/Russell for both Furcal and Billingsley. Billingsley is 23 and coming off marginal MLB success. I think the Dodgers would consider it, then ask for one of the big prospects (Gio, Broadway, Danks) instead of that Egbert/Russell you pick 'em. This move would solidify the rotation for the years to come, but I'm uncomfortable with taking Furcal. If you can trade Garland + Egbert/Russell for Billingsley straight up and leave Furcal out of the whole thing, I would do it.

If A-Rod isn't our SS next year, the other likely candidates for the position are Omar Vizquel and Akinori Iwamura (who says he will play short and may find himself on the trade block if Evan Longoria is an OD starter for them at 3B). Perhaps that's who you trade Contreras for?

Either way, it would give a rotation of:

Buehrle
Vazquez
Billingsley
Danks
You Pick 'Em (Floyd, Gio... etc etc).

In 2008, that doesn't win a title. 2009 could be a little different though. And a lineup of

3B Figgins
CF Owens
SS A-Rod
DH Thome
RF Dye
C Pierzynski
LF Fields
1B Kotchman
2B Richar

Would be a WS capable offense. Upgraded speed and power. Then after '08, let Thome go and you look for someone to fill DH, or find an OF and send either Fields or Dye to DH.

esbrechtel
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm hoping that some of you just forgot to teal your 2008 teams....Unless we are just talking about the current roster on PS2...

Hitmen77
10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Yep.

In another thread, Flight had linked to a CNN Money article about the economic impact A-Rod would have for the team that signs him. I know Bora$ is going to inflate the estimates to play up his client, but considering the overall team upgrades (not just limited to A-Rod), the team could be an advertising monster. Jersey sales, increased ticket sales (=more concessions), not to mention the added television revenue. Someone had mentioned that Reinsdorf is a 40% owner of CSN Chicago.

The moves I have proposed would, IMHO, greatly improve the team from where it is right now on a number of levels and there would be a dramatic increase in W's.

If I'm not mistaken, all merchandise sales are profits for MLB and are divided evenly among the teams. So the Sox wouldn't gain much by selling A-Rod jerseys. Also, the White Sox own 25% of CSN. I believe Jerry Reinsdorf also owns the Bulls share of CSN Chicago.

guillen4life13
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, all merchandise sales are profits for MLB and are divided evenly among the teams. So the Sox wouldn't gain much by selling A-Rod jerseys. Also, the White Sox own 25% of CSN. I believe Jerry Reinsdorf also owns the Bulls share of CSN Chicago.

Thanks for clarifying things.

ondafarm
10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Wow, there are a lot of trade ideas floating around. I thought that KW has been fairly adamant about not making major deals this off-season. Regardless of if I agree, he seems to think this team is "close".

gregory18n
10-23-2007, 09:23 PM
to place carl crawford & hunter into our lineup puts us back in the game!
but i wouldn't give up on garland & crede yet.
i'd consider gooch & the fully-focused david eckstein as free agents.
what the heck, let's open the wallet & get johann santana too!

Nellie_Fox
10-24-2007, 12:22 AM
to place carl crawford & hunter into our lineup puts us back in the game!
but i wouldn't give up on garland & crede yet.
i'd consider gooch & the fully-focused david eckstein as free agents.
what the heck, let's open the wallet & get johann santana too!Great. Another one who can't find the shift key.

gregory18n
10-24-2007, 12:44 AM
not a writer, so it's unimportant to me.
so, is anyone going to respond that getting crawford &/or santana is impossible; or can i keep hoping.

Nellie_Fox
10-24-2007, 01:17 AM
not a writer, so it's unimportant to me.Is communicating with the reader important to you?

mcp5185
10-24-2007, 02:50 AM
You really think so? Figgins will be 30 next season, and is coming off a .330/.393 with 41 SB's. Konerko is coming off a down year and while Crede/Boras claim crede will be 100% opening day, it's still a little suspicious. If we can get Kotchman in the deal along with Shields and Figgins, I'd be overjoyed. The Sox put him in at 3B and Fields will have to move to LF. Kotchman won't bring the production of Jose Guillen, but he's a much less significant financial burden as well. He hits for good average and OBP though he is not the typical slugger 1B. 25 by opening day. Would the Angels really give Kotchman, Figgins and Shields for Konerko and Crede? I'm very skeptical.

The Angels have been desperately looking for a power hitter to protect Guerrero in their line-up. Konerko fits that, and the Angels have Reggie Willits to fill in as thier new leadoff man. Figgins is going to be a free agent after next year, while Konerko would be signed for a few more years. I may be wrong but I think we could get Kotchman, Figgins, and Shields for Konerko and a prospect or two.

After thinking about it, I do agree that Crede and Garland plus prospects would not get us Billingsley and Furcal, however I believe the Sox should go after either Furcal or Renteria in a trade.