itsnotrequired
10-20-2007, 07:14 PM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2764/dumbyankfanws6.gif

ShoelessJoeS
10-20-2007, 07:14 PM
LOL, that was pretty amusing.

gobears1987
10-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Pretty good video, even if this whole thing is a bit flubsessed.

MarkyBear
10-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Even thought this was done by a flubs fan, I was still amused by this vid...

99 Years of Cub Losses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaAIdOFRj4)

Frontman
10-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Even thought this was done by a flubs fan, I was still amused by this vid...

99 Years of Cub Losses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaAIdOFRj4)

That one was enjoyable. Some of the Cubs stuff is sad or just plain cruel. This guy has a great sense of humor.

Hitmen77
10-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Milt Pappas really got hosed on that perfect game bid in '72.

Decent videos, but essentially just more "we're lovable losers" material from Cub fans. At least the first one is honest about people just going to Wrigley to get drunk.

Brian26
10-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Milt Pappas really got hosed on that perfect game bid in '72.

Does video of this exist anywhere? I was too young to see it happen, but from a historical perspective I'm curious how close the 3-2 pitch was from being a strike, in addition to what Pappas' reaction was. Brickhouse made it sound, on the audio, like Pappas blew a gasket.

CubKilla
10-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Does video of this exist anywhere? I was too young to see it happen, but from a historical perspective I'm curious how close the 3-2 pitch was from being a strike, in addition to what Pappas' reaction was. Brickhouse made it sound, on the audio, like Pappas blew a gasket.

Never seen the video of the pitch, heard it was really close, and Pappas did blow a gasket on the mound..... that much I have seen.

Pappas still holds a grudge to this day. He did the 7th Inning Rip-off earlier this year and was still bad-mouthing Froehming (sp?).

Brian26
10-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Never seen the video of the pitch, heard it was really close, and Pappas did blow a gasket on the mound..... that much I have seen.

Pappas still holds a grudge to this day. He did the 7th Inning Rip-off earlier this year and was still bad-mouthing Froehming (sp?).

Was there any heat between Froeming and Pappas before that game? I can't imagine Pappas would hold a grudge all of these years if Bruce simply blew the call (not purposely). However, if Froeming was out to get Pappas, you'd think there would have been an opportunity earlier in the game as opposed to the 27th batter.

I've never heard Froeming's take on the situation.

michned
10-21-2007, 11:04 AM

IIRC, it was maybe a fraction of an inch off the outside corner, and probably could have gone either way.

The Critic
10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
IIRC, it was maybe a fraction of an inch off the outside corner, and probably could have gone either way.

I love Pappas saying "it might have been a ball, but what would have been the harm in calling it a strike?", and Froemming constantly saying that Pappas didn't pitch a perfect game but he called a perfect game that day.

Pappas and Froemming have butted heads many times over the years, most notably on Johnny B's radio show. Always makes me chuckle that a no-hitter wasn't good enough for Pappas.

Hitmen77
10-21-2007, 11:34 AM

I saw a video clip of it years ago and it seemed to me like it could very easily have been called a strike.

I thought I heard a quote from the ump more recently that said he was aware Pappas was going for a no-hitter, but had no idea that a perfect game was at stake. I might be wrong about that though.

Hitmen77
10-21-2007, 11:44 AM
...speaking of Milt Pappas, he had a very sad tragedy in his personal life. His wife was missing for many years. She just disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to her. Years later, they found her car and body in a lake. Apparently, she missed a turn in the road and drove into the lake.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2007, 12:10 AM
...speaking of Milt Pappas, he had a very sad tragedy in his personal life. His wife was missing for many years. She just disappeared and no one ever knew what happened to her. Years later, they found her car and body in a lake. Apparently, she missed a turn in the road and drove into the lake.
It wasn't a lake, it was a retention pond off of President St. in Wheaton.

C-Dawg
10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
It wasn't a lake, it was a retention pond off of President St. in Wheaton.

And if I remember right, the reason the car was discovered after so many years was because the fire station nearby had drained it as part of a training exercise. The car still had the groceries in it since she was just on her way home from the store.

Anyway, some years ago a co-worker of mine was at a Cubs game, where they had a bunch of old-timers on the field for some sort or pre-game thing; heck I don't remember, maybe Milt threw out the first pitch. Some tool in the stands was heckling him by hollering " Hey Milt - Where's your wife?!?." Classy.

twentywontowin
10-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I've seen the clip of Pappas' perfect game bid. Froemming could have easily called it a strike if he wanted to. It was indeed close, but Bruce didn't want to give him a call.

What really pissed Pappas off was Froemming was supposedly smirking at the idea that he broke up a perfect game with his call.