PDA

View Full Version : New Bullpen Coach

JRIG
10-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Don Cooper told Bruce Levine on Talking Baseball this morning that AAA pitching coach Juan Nieves will take over the Bullpen Coach duties next season.

Not an official announcement yet, but tough to get a better source.

ElevenUp
10-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Now up on the Tribune. Let's hope he can help the bullpen get some outs.http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/10/sox-names-nieve.html

Frontman
10-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Coop sounded optimistic about the Sox for next season, as well as "No, we can't just bring everyone back. We need improvement."

I'm glad to hear that mentality, and I want to see them do well.

veeter
10-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure how important a bullpen coach is, but everyone seems to like Nieves. I'm more excited about the player changes that are forthcoming. But new blood is usually a good thing.

johnr1note
10-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure how important a bullpen coach is, but everyone seems to like Nieves. I'm more excited about the player changes that are forthcoming. But new blood is usually a good thing.

I see Nieves' experience with the development of many of the guys who will be part of the pen to be a big plus.

WhiteSox5187
10-21-2007, 05:37 PM
From what i read in the paper he played a huge role in developing Bobby's devesating curve, he is also supposed to be a big help to guys like Lance Broadway and other potential prospects we have coming up in our system...I'm not so sure how much a bullpen coach actually helps a bullpen (or if Art Kushner did a bad job for that matter, it could very well be that God Allmighty couldn't have helped our bullpen this year), but it can't get much worse. I think the bullpen is the most glaring hole for this team. A line up with Konerko, Thome and Dye is going to score runs (perhaps not as many as we would like), but if you have a bullpen that can't hold a lead, you're toast. So, hopefully this a step in the right direction.

Lip Man 1
10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
There may be some fallout to this. I understand from a source that Kirk Champion, who is a highly regarded pitching coach in the Sox minor league system, applied for this job and really, really wanted it.

By not getting it, you wonder if now he starts looking at other organizations.

I'd hate for the Sox to lose another guy who is really good a la Rick Peterson.

We'll see.

Lip

soxfanreggie
10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Looks like there is a AAA job available now for him though.