PDA

View Full Version : Japanese free agents Sox might be interested in

hose
10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Outside of their names I don't know much about these guys. Gooch is on the market also. Any of these players on Kenny's radar?

Starting pitchers:
Kazumi Saito - RH
Kenshin Kawakami - RH

Relief pitchers:
Masahide Kobayashi - RH
Hitoki Iwase - LH

Infielder:
Tomohiro Nioka - SS
( Iguchi -2b)

Outfielder:
Kosuke Fukudome -RF

DSpivack
10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Fukudome should get a big contract. I thought Uehara was coming over, but I guess not. Also, SI said the Cubs were interested in some SP that isn't on this list. Don't remember his name.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Outside of their names I don't know much about these guys. Gooch is on the market also. Any of these players on Kenny's radar?

Starting pitchers:
Kazumi Saito - RH
Kenshin Kawakami - RH

Relief pitchers:
Masahide Kobayashi - RH
Hitoki Iwase - LH

Infielder:
Tomohiro Nioka - SS
( Iguchi -2b)

Outfielder:
Kosuke Fukudome -RF

I would love to see them get Kobayashi. He's a veteran with the third most saves, all time, in Japan. Both he and Iwase are great closers and will be 33 on opening day. With Bobby Jenks being so dominant, whomever they sign would be a setup man. The question, then, is would the Sox pay the kind of money these guys will command for a setup man and would they be willing to take that role.

jabrch
10-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Fukudome should get a big contract. I thought Uehara was coming over, but I guess not. Also, SI said the Cubs were interested in some SP that isn't on this list. Don't remember his name.

Kuroda - he was a candidate to come over last year - but decided to wait. If I recall, he is a FA so there is no posting fee associated with him. He played in the Central League and was just abouot as good as anyone there the past few years.

jabrch
10-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I would love to see them get Kobayashi.

Dollar hotdog day would be a bad idea.

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/espnews/2004/0704/photo/a_kobayashi_il.jpg

WhiteSox5187
10-20-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm curious in that Nioka guy...I remember looking at his stats and it seems like he's more of a power hitting shortstop rather than a potential lead off hitter or a guy who steals bases. But he might be the best shortstop on the market either way and since the Yankees, Mets, and potentially the Red Sox are set at short we might be able to get him for cheap...I know nothing about the relievers you listed but could they be any worse than anyone else we had coming out of that bullpen last year?

The Critic
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Nicely played!
:redneck

upperdeckusc
10-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I would love to see them get Kobayashi. He's a veteran with the third most saves, all time, in Japan. Both he and Iwase are great closers and will be 33 on opening day. With Bobby Jenks being so dominant, whomever they sign would be a setup man. The question, then, is would the Sox pay the kind of money these guys will command for a setup man and would they be willing to take that role.

as long as he's on the (hot dog) kobayashi's work out plan, im up for it. that guy is huuuuuge

weareud
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I like the japanese relievers that come over. They always seem to dominate in their first year.

DickAllen72
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM

:D:LOL! Nice one!:cheers:

I'm a big Sonia Thomas fan myself. :cool:

soxfanreggie
10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Watching Dice-K right now, I don't think he is worth what they spent on him. However, I wouldn't mind spending $5-$10 million to sign a guy if he's going to be a significant player. The problem if you have a signing fee is to see what Jerry is willing to spend. If he's willing to increase the payroll $10-$20 million (or whatever that amount may be), would he consider the signing fee part of that amount?

I wouldn't mind getting Gooch back here, but I hope Richar is the 2B of our future.

upperdeckusc
10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Watching Dice-K right now, I don't think he is worth what they spent on him. However, I wouldn't mind spending $5-$10 million to sign a guy if he's going to be a significant player. The problem if you have a signing fee is to see what Jerry is willing to spend. If he's willing to increase the payroll $10-$20 million (or whatever that amount may be), would he consider the signing fee part of that amount?

I wouldn't mind getting Gooch back here, but I hope Richar is the 2B of our future.

with a lot of these possible signees, I don't think a posting fee is necessary because they are free agents. what happened with dice-k is something you won't see very often.

soxfanreggie
10-22-2007, 12:26 AM
That's great news. I know Tampa Bay paid a posting fee a while back. I think I heard that with Suzuki and maybe another player as well. I think TB paid a couple...maybe $5 mil tops for their guy.

Right now I'm up for anything that helps this team win next year!

DSpivack
10-22-2007, 01:00 AM
That's great news. I know Tampa Bay paid a posting fee a while back. I think I heard that with Suzuki and maybe another player as well. I think TB paid a couple...maybe $5 mil tops for their guy.

Right now I'm up for anything that helps this team win next year!

The only player from Japan on the Rays I can think of is IF Akinori Iwamura, for whom I believe they only paid a small posting fee (he was a rookie this season). The Yankees also paid a comparatively small posting fee for SP Kei Igawa.

doublem23
10-22-2007, 01:16 AM
The Yankees also paid a comparatively small posting fee for SP Kei Igawa.

They still got ripped off.

DSpivack
10-22-2007, 01:44 AM
They still got ripped off.

No doubt about that. By comparatively small, that was in regards to Daisuke. The posting fee for Igawa was still, what, $20 million or so?

jabrch
10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
:D:LOL! Nice one!:cheers:

I'm a big Sonia Thomas fan myself. :cool:

You want to take her out on a date? Imagine your bill when she ties her record eating 8lbs 2oz of Chilli Cheese fries, 46 dozen oysters, 23 pulled pork sandwiches, 48 soft tacos, and 7 and 3/4 pounds of Turducken, finished off with 11 lbs of cheesecake, all in 23 min...

http://www.majorleagueeating.com/images/contests/Sonya%20Thomas_lg.jpg

My favorite of these guys is Tim Janus - Eater X. Reminds me, obviously, of the Ultimate Warrior.
http://www.majorleagueeating.com/images/contests/Timothy%20Janus_lg.jpg

I saw Eater X eat 51 Tamales live (me - not the tamales) in Dallas last year. It was absolutely disgustingly entertaining.

ondafarm
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Am I the only person who thinks these speed eating competitions are disgusting?

Meanwhile, the word I hear on Iguchi is that he may re-sign in Japan. Sadaharu Oh seems to be back from his stomach cancer and word I've heard is that Iguchi would like to return and help Oh overcome the foreigner managed teams or team as only Bobby Valentine's Chiba Marines will still be foreign managed. Trey Hillman will next year manage the KC Royals.

jabrch
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Am I the only person who thinks these speed eating competitions are disgusting?

I highly doubt you are the only person. But there are people who think the same thing of bull riding, steer roping and even Darin Erstad leading off. Heck, there are nations that find no problem with bull FIGHTING.

At the end of the day, disgusting is very much in the eye of the beholder.