PDA

View Full Version : This is a must read from Bob Ryan

Fenway
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/19/a_striking_difference_in_outlook/

CLEVELAND - Baseball players and baseball fans will never understand each other. There is a fundamental disconnect.

Players may say they love the fans, but that's in the collective sense. When things are going well, who wouldn't enjoy being backed by 10,00, 50,000, or 100,000 cheering fans? Fans can be an energy source.

But on a one-to-one basis, players have no clue what it is to be a fan, to have a DNA inherited from a parent who rooted for a team, as did his father and his father. They don't know what it's like to spend an entire day waiting for a big game and getting there after working at a job he or she detests. They don't know, or care, about an incident that cost the team a key game five years earlier or perhaps before the player was born. They just don't seem to understand that many people have a hard time getting past the (unfathomable amounts of) money.

But players aren't fans. They're players. Players come and go, but fans stay. Fans pile up the memories and the hurts. If the Indians don't pull this out, no Cleveland Indians player will reference Jose Mesa or Dusty Rhodes. But plenty of Cleveland fans will.
It's what fans do, and players will never understand

chisoxmike
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I love it. Thanks.

soxfanatlanta
10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
For those who don't want to waste any time; I'll summarize it:

1. Baseball players have to have a short term memory for them to make it into and stay in the bigs.

2. That fact is beyond the comprehension of may fans.

3. Manny is a goof ball.

LITTLE NELL
10-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Excellent article. The players with their huge paychecks are so far removed from reality that with a few exceptions have no idea what being a fan is all about.

MarySwiss
10-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Not a big Ryan fan, but well said.

harwar
10-20-2007, 07:55 AM
It's what i have been saying for years.I am going to print the article and have it framed.Yea,"players only love you when they're playin".