PDA

View Full Version : Naperville is #1 for the White Sox

Fenway
10-18-2007, 09:21 AM
If you do a Google Trends search on Google it spits out that the city that requested the most Google searches on the White Sox is Naperville

1.Naperville, IL, USA 2.Elmhurst, IL, USA 3.Chicago, IL, USA 4.Indianapolis, IN, USA 5.Louisville, KY, USA 6.Minneapolis, MN, USA 7.Dallas, TX, USA 8.Phoenix, AZ, USA 9.New York, NY, USA 10.Atlanta, GA, USA

http://www.google.com/trends?q=chicago+white+sox

For the Cubs it is Elmhurst
1.Elmhurst, IL, USA 2.Chicago, IL, USA 3.Des Moines, IA, USA 4.Louisville, KY, USA 5.Madison, WI, USA 6.Indianapolis, IN, USA 7.St Louis, MO, USA 8.Richardson, TX, USA 9.Phoenix, AZ, USA 10.Minneapolis, MN, USA

http://www.google.com/trends?q=chicago+cubs&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I am going to take an educated guess all this means is that is where Comcast has their servers in Chicagoland as when I did I search for the Red Sox the city where Comcast had its Boston server pops up as #1.

1.Needham, MA, USA 2.Boston, MA, USA 3.Cambridge, MA, USA 4.Portland, ME, USA 5.Oxford, MA, USA 6.Providence, RI, USA 7.Hartford, CT, USA 8.Albany, NY, USA 9.New York, NY, USA 10.Washington, DC, USA

chisoxmike
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
That's because they've probably never heard of the Sox, and wanted to find out what they are.

Mickster
10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
That's because they've probably never heard of the Sox, and wanted to find out what they are.

Jealous?

:bandance:

rdivaldi
10-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Jealous?

:bandance:

:?:

chaerulez
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't know how google bases these things on. I would estimate Naperville to be 70/30 in favor of the Cubs.

Fenway
10-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't know how google bases these things on. I would estimate Naperville to be 70/30 in favor of the Cubs.

I assume they base it on the IP address of the server you are on. What is curious is Elmhurst shows up with both teams but Naperville only with the Sox.

PorkChopExpress
10-18-2007, 11:09 AM

Who says Cubs fans don't obsess about the White Sox.:D:

esbrechtel
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry guys but that number is going to go down drastically...I graduated from North Central in Naperville and was probably responsible for at least 70% of those searches....

Hitmen77
10-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Chaerulez,
I'm from the area too and there are definitely more Cub fans here, but the Sox are making inroads. Before '05, i'd easily believe your 70/30 figure. Since 2005, it's harder to tell because a lot of the Cub fans seemed to go into hiding at that time for some unknown reason (stopped wearing Cubs stuff, didn't talk as much about baseball). Now that the north siders made the playoffs this year, their fans have come back out of the woodwork with suddenly newly purchased Cubs gear and I'm seeing them around again. But, I still see a decent number of people with Sox stuff - especially among the kids.

But, years ago I lived in the NW suburbs and the Cub dominance in Naperville just pales in comparison to that area. My experience up there - sheesh, I want to put the split at 95/5. The Cubs were the home team and the Sox were a hated rival, period. I hate to say it, but it wasn't just a hatred of the Sox - it was a view that any area on the south side must be a crime-riddled, gang infested, minority, "bad" neighborhood. Beverly, Orland Park? People didn't know these existed. This was many years ago though - maybe the Sox have made some inroads up there since then.

As far as the Google data, Fenway's guess is probably right. The thing is, there are so many people that live in the Naperville/Aurora area that even a 30% share of the market is a large number of people.

Juice16
10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I frequent downtown Naperville and get plenty of dirty looks and remarks while wearing my Sox hat. My favorite was when I went to Mongolian BBQ and one the the Chad McFratboys cooking at the grill commented very loudly "It's all about the Cubbies man!".

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-18-2007, 11:41 AM
DAMN! I live in Elmhurst, and I honestly had no idea that we were the number 2 city for White Sox web searches. Sweet.

thedudeabides
10-18-2007, 11:47 AM
This survey is flawed...it doesn't measure Mt. Greenwood or Beverly as neighborhoods. :cool:

chisoxmike
10-18-2007, 11:49 AM
This survey is flawed...it doesn't measure Mt. Greenwood or Beverly as neighborhoods. :cool:

People from Mt. Greenwood or Beverly shouldn't be "googling" White Sox. :D:

jdm2662
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I assume they base it on the IP address of the server you are on. What is curious is Elmhurst shows up with both teams but Naperville only with the Sox.

Comcast has a head end/main office in Elmhurst. They may have one in Naperville, but I didn't support their region when I worked there. So yes, there ip address coming from those towns would be accurate.

Fenway
10-18-2007, 12:07 PM

To be fair they would show up as City of Chicago :smile:

DSpivack
10-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Atlanta #10? Well, I did just move from there....:tongue:

michned
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
It is too difficult to tell if the Google data shows human searches or searches by "bots" that perform automated searches. Website spammers do this to obtain content to build spammy-type websites, and it's possible there's someone in Naperville and Elmhurst using one of these bots for baseball-related websites they are making.

Or heck, they really could be human searches.

JorgeFabregas
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Wasn't Elmhurst #1 in the country for "sex" searches?

I'm sure Fenway is right--there are probably just some comcast or SBC infrastructure there.

SABRSox
10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the city is a reflection of the address of your ISP, and not any one particular home. There is a ton of telecom in Naperville, so that's not surprising at all.

thomas35forever
10-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm going to school in Naperville right now. I usually don't Google the Sox, but this is awesome to know.:cool:

Fenway
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the city is a reflection of the address of your ISP, and not any one particular home. There is a ton of telecom in Naperville, so that's not surprising at all.

But it doesn't explain why Naperville does not show up with the Cubs

Of course since what little I have seen of Cubs message boards perhaps their fans don't know how to work a computer :smile:

I mean can you see HIM on the internet?

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_056093715/lg

chaerulez
10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Chaerulez,
I'm from the area too and there are definitely more Cub fans here, but the Sox are making inroads. Before '05, i'd easily believe your 70/30 figure. Since 2005, it's harder to tell because a lot of the Cub fans seemed to go into hiding at that time for some unknown reason (stopped wearing Cubs stuff, didn't talk as much about baseball). Now that the north siders made the playoffs this year, their fans have come back out of the woodwork with suddenly newly purchased Cubs gear and I'm seeing them around again. But, I still see a decent number of people with Sox stuff - especially among the kids.

But, years ago I lived in the NW suburbs and the Cub dominance in Naperville just pales in comparison to that area. My experience up there - sheesh, I want to put the split at 95/5. The Cubs were the home team and the Sox were a hated rival, period. I hate to say it, but it wasn't just a hatred of the Sox - it was a view that any area on the south side must be a crime-riddled, gang infested, minority, "bad" neighborhood. Beverly, Orland Park? People didn't know these existed. This was many years ago though - maybe the Sox have made some inroads up there since then.

As far as the Google data, Fenway's guess is probably right. The thing is, there are so many people that live in the Naperville/Aurora area that even a 30% share of the market is a large number of people.

The Cubs might have the NW suburbs, but the Sox have control of the south surburbs and NW Indiana. I suppose this all makes sense geographically.

eriqjaffe
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I mean can you see HIM on the internet?

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_056093715/lgYeah, no DNS server's gonna be able to resolve www.WOOgoogleWOO.WOOcom.

thedudeabides
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
To be fair they would show up as City of Chicago :smile:

I live there, but thanks for clearing that up. :D:

MsSoxVixen22
10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
If you do a Google Trends search on Google it spits out that the city that requested the most Google searches on the White Sox is Naperville

1.Naperville, IL, USA 2.Elmhurst, IL, USA 3.Chicago, IL, USA 4.Indianapolis, IN, USA 5.Louisville, KY, USA 6.Minneapolis, MN, USA 7.Dallas, TX, USA 8.Phoenix, AZ, USA 9.New York, NY, USA 10.Atlanta, GA, USA

1.Elmhurst, IL, USA 2.Chicago, IL, USA 3.Des Moines, IA, USA 4.Louisville, KY, USA 5.Madison, WI, USA 6.Indianapolis, IN, USA 7.St Louis, MO, USA 8.Richardson, TX, USA 9.Phoenix, AZ, USA 10.Minneapolis, MN, USA

I am going to take an educated guess all this means is that is where Comcast has their servers in Chicagoland as when I did I search for the Red Sox the city where Comcast had its Boston server pops up as #1.

1.Needham, MA, USA 2.Boston, MA, USA 3.Cambridge, MA, USA 4.Portland, ME, USA 5.Oxford, MA, USA 6.Providence, RI, USA 7.Hartford, CT, USA 8.Albany, NY, USA 9.New York, NY, USA 10.Washington, DC, USA

I'm not the least bit surprised...I work in Franklin Park, just a stone's throw from Elmhurst and it's Cubsville around here. My work included! :angry:

Frater Perdurabo
10-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Fenway, can you do a similar search for the city that does the most searches for "Yankees?"

I'm fascinated that Dallas (population 1 million) is #7 for the Sox and Richardson, TX (adjacent north suburb of Dallas, population 125,000) is #8 for the Cubs.

Can you please send this data to Fox Sports?

I've been saying for years - and it's not that I'm any kind of genius, just observant - that there are TONS of transplanted Chicagoans living in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. I meet people from Chicago all the time. I know it's not statistically significant, but I promise that it is representative: Four of the 15 part-time employees (not counting me) in my department were born and raised in or near Chicago.

Obviously this is a major generalization, but what I have found is that New York and New England refugees have tended to move to Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. Those who leave the Upper Midwest have tended to move to Texas (and other Southwest states like Colorado, Arizona and Nevada).

Despite these demographics, every single Saturday during the summer, if the Rangers aren't playing an afternoon game, Fox ramrods either a Yankees or a Red Sox game down our throats. I promise the Fox bigwigs that they would get equal ratings - if not perhaps better ratings - in DFW if they showed White Sox or Cubs games when the Rangers aren't playing on Saturday afternoons. Obviously I'd prefer the Sox, but the points remains that there are tons of transplanted Sox fans here in Dallas.

So please, Fenway, pass on this Sox fan's gripe to your bosses! :smile:

johnr1note
10-19-2007, 10:05 AM

But this doesn't appear to reflect the number of actual searches. Besides the issue of real people typing in the words "White Sox" vs automated searches, the data here doesn't reflect how many searches are actually taking place. There could be a few hundred "White Sox" searches, with Naperville as No. 1, and 116 thousand Cubs searches, with Elmhurst as no. 1.

rowand33
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM

7.Dallas, TX, USA

I'm going to assume that this is just from me and Frater.

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
[/color][/size]

I'm going to assume that this is just from me and Frater.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever Googled "White Sox" per se, but I do lots of searches for individual players when I'm looking up their stats, while I'm composing another half-baked idea to trade Paulie!
:redface:

Fenway
10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
My impression of Dallas baseball fans is that 90% of the people who go to games in Arlington are transplanted from the midwest or somewhere other then Texas.

BTW for the Yankees?
1.New York, NY, USA 2.Albany, NY, USA 3.Rochester, NY, USA 4.Newark, NJ, USA 5.Boston, MA, USA 6.Tampa, FL, USA 7.Washington, DC, USA 8.Philadelphia, PA, USA 9.Miami, FL, USA 10.Phoenix, AZ, USA

Fenway, can you do a similar search for the city that does the most searches for "Yankees?"

I'm fascinated that Dallas (population 1 million) is #7 for the Sox and Richardson, TX (adjacent north suburb of Dallas, population 125,000) is #8 for the Cubs.

Can you please send this data to Fox Sports?

I've been saying for years - and it's not that I'm any kind of genius, just observant - that there are TONS of transplanted Chicagoans living in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. I meet people from Chicago all the time. I know it's not statistically significant, but I promise that it is representative: Four of the 15 part-time employees (not counting me) in my department were born and raised in or near Chicago.

Obviously this is a major generalization, but what I have found is that New York and New England refugees have tended to move to Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. Those who leave the Upper Midwest have tended to move to Texas (and other Southwest states like Colorado, Arizona and Nevada).

Despite these demographics, every single Saturday during the summer, if the Rangers aren't playing an afternoon game, Fox ramrods either a Yankees or a Red Sox game down our throats. I promise the Fox bigwigs that they would get equal ratings - if not perhaps better ratings - in DFW if they showed White Sox or Cubs games when the Rangers aren't playing on Saturday afternoons. Obviously I'd prefer the Sox, but the points remains that there are tons of transplanted Sox fans here in Dallas.

So please, Fenway, pass on this Sox fan's gripe to your bosses! :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
My impression of Dallas baseball fans is that 90% of the people who go to games in Arlington are transplanted from the midwest or somewhere other then Texas.

BTW for the Yankees?
1.New York, NY, USA 2.Albany, NY, USA 3.Rochester, NY, USA 4.Newark, NJ, USA 5.Boston, MA, USA 6.Tampa, FL, USA 7.Washington, DC, USA 8.Philadelphia, PA, USA 9.Miami, FL, USA 10.Phoenix, AZ, USA

Thanks for the Yankees stats. That's hilarious that Boston is #5 for the Yankees.

Oh, and I agree with your impression of Dallas-area baseball fans.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram columnist Randy Galloway (among others) has remarked that if the Texas Rangers were playing in Game 7 of the World Series on a Sunday night, and if it was the same night as a regular-season Cowboys Sunday Night Football game, the Cowboys would draw the larger TV audience.

Native Texans' favorite sport is football, followed by spring football, followed by football recruiting season. Only transplanted Midwesterners truly care about baseball in this area. The "native Texans" who go to Rangers games generally fall into one of these categories:

1. Young children dragged to Rangers games for a "mommy and daddy love me more because they dropped $5,000 on my birthday party" high fructose corn syrup ingestion fest. :(:

2. Drunk hicks looking for somewhere to get plastered and act like drunk hicks; :rolleyes:

3. Spouses (like my wife) who married transplanted Midwesterners (like me). :D:

3. Guys like my father-in-law who grew up listening to local radio broadcasts of minor league baseball, and hunting for "clear channel" signals emanating from such faraway places like Los Angeles, Saint Louis and even Chicago. (He said that in the 60s, a local radio affiliate carried Sox games, so he grew up liking the White Sox. In fact, the first pro game he ever attended was a 1970 White Sox game at Old Comiskey!) :smile:

PKalltheway
10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the Yankees stats. That's hilarious that Boston is #5 for the Yankees.

Oh, and I agree with your impression of Dallas-area baseball fans.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram columnist Randy Galloway (among others) has remarked that if the Texas Rangers were playing in Game 7 of the World Series on a Sunday night, and if it was the same night as a regular-season Cowboys Sunday Night Football game, the Cowboys would draw the larger TV audience.

Native Texans' favorite sport is football, followed by spring football, followed by football recruiting season. Only transplanted Midwesterners truly care about baseball in this area. The "native Texans" who go to Rangers games generally fall into one of these categories:

1. Young children dragged to Rangers games for a "mommy and daddy love me more because they dropped $5,000 on my birthday party" high fructose corn syrup ingestion fest. :(:

2. Drunk hicks looking for somewhere to get plastered and act like drunk hicks; :rolleyes:

3. Spouses (like my wife) who married transplanted Midwesterners (like me). :D:

3. Guys like my father-in-law who grew up listening to local radio broadcasts of minor league baseball, and hunting for "clear channel" signals emanating from such faraway places like Los Angeles, Saint Louis and even Chicago. (He said that in the 60s, a local radio affiliate carried Sox games, so he grew up liking the White Sox. In fact, the first pro game he ever attended was a 1970 White Sox game at Old Comiskey!) :smile:
Even though football is clearly the favorite sport in Texas, what about the Astros? They seem like they have always drawn well, and they have a pretty solid fanbase.

Frater Perdurabo
10-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Even though football is clearly the favorite sport in Texas, what about the Astros? They seem like they have always drawn well, and they have a pretty solid fanbase.

They usually are a competitive team, which obviously helps attendance. I've never been to an Astros game, but I'm willing to bet a large part of their fan base is transplanted Midwesterners.

PKalltheway
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
They usually are a competitive team, which obviously helps attendance. I've never been to an Astros game, but I'm willing to bet a large part of their fan base is transplanted Midwesterners.
Oh yeah. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I was just curious, though.

LongLiveFisk
10-20-2007, 01:06 PM
1.Elmhurst, IL, USA

This doesn't surprise me. Anyone I've ever met from Elmhurst always seems to be a Cubs fan.

(Apologies to any Elmhurst Sox fans who might be browsing this thread! :tongue:)

adidas773
10-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I frequent downtown Naperville and get plenty of dirty looks and remarks while wearing my Sox hat. My favorite was when I went to Mongolian BBQ and one the the Chad McFratboys cooking at the grill commented very loudly "It's all about the Cubbies man!".

i went to NC.H.S. so i know what you mean about all the flub fans in Naperville. Mongolian barbecue is pretty good, anyways forget that guy sounds like a typical cubs fan doesn't know crap about baseball.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-20-2007, 07:52 PM
This doesn't surprise me. Anyone I've ever met from Elmhurst always seems to be a Cubs fan.

(Apologies to any Elmhurst Sox fans who might be browsing this thread! :tongue:)

:angry::angry::angry:[teal smileys]

LongLiveFisk
10-21-2007, 06:26 PM
:angry::angry::angry:[teal smileys]

Ok well at least now I know 1 Elmhurst Sox fan. :D:

davenicholson
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Chaerulez,

I've also seen a big swing in (at least) visible fan support of the Sox vis-a-vis the other team since 2005. I would have guessed that would have changed after this year, but my unscientific observations indicate otherwise. I particularly noticed a preponderance of Sox clothing at my son's soccer games during the other team's playoff run. I noticed the opposite in 2005.

davenicholson
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
:?:

fquaye149
10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
where does fayetteville, ar rank on the list?

I'M DOING MY BEST GODDAMN IT!

viagracat
10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I spend a lot of time working in the cities of Yorkville and Plano west-southwest of Chicago, and during the Cubs' run to the playoffs, I saw a LOT of Cub flags and other nonsense in that area. But nearly all of it disappeared after they were eliminated. My own unscientific research the area at about 50/50 Cubs/Sox as Yorkville especially seems to be popular with people moving there from the South Side and south suburbs.

Elgin is a solid Cub town. :?::(::?:

Huisj
10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I don't think I've ever Googled "White Sox" per se, but I do lots of searches for individual players when I'm looking up their stats, while I'm composing another half-baked idea to trade Paulie!
:redface:

I agree, how many big fans really do google "White Sox" on a regular basis? I tend to know what sites I like to go to to read Sox news. I really don't know the last time I googled "White Sox". I guess that's why Lansing isn't on the list. ha