PDA

View Full Version : Of all people...

Viva Medias B's
10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
...Manny Ramírez comes up with a rational thought (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3068474).

:o:

He says that if the Red Sox lose the ALCS, it wouldn't be the "end of the world." That is right. The fate of the world does not rest on the Red Sox making the World Series. Of course, fanatical New Englanders will take Ramírez to task for this. And so will the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

Frontman
10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
...Manny Ramírez comes up with a rational thought (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3068474).

He says that if the Red Sox lose the ALCS, it wouldn't be the "end of the world." That is right. The fate of the world does not rest on the Red Sox making the World Series. Of course, fanatical New Englanders will take Ramírez to task for this. And so will the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

Between this comment and his home run celebration the other night, I think it proves that headband is on far too tight under his hat......

Fenway
10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Outrage back in Boston....I listened to WEEI online this morning and the fans want to lynch him

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/galleries/front_10182007.jpg

and his showboating isn't going over well either

from Shaughnessey

Lastly, we must address the larger forces. Manny Ramírez yesterday said he was not trying to show anybody up and he had some fun striking poses during batting practice, but his Cadillac moment (raising his arms as if he'd just hit a walkoff when his sixth-inning blast cut the score to 7-3) at home plate in Game 4 was classless and obnoxious. It was an embarrassment to anyone who says they love baseball and/or the Red Sox.

No one will ever say anything, of course, but you have to wonder what his teammates and manager really think.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/18/if_they_lose_game_therell_be_blame/?page=full

Oblong
10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Our local radio update guy/director is from Cleveland. He said during Manny's Cleveland days there was a time when clubhouse guys found several of his paychecks, not stubs, in his glove box. Another time he sent a clubhouse kid to get him some Burger King and gave him 3 $100 bills. He had no concept of what things cost. The kid just kept the rest as a tip.

spawn
10-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Lastly, we must address the larger forces. Manny Ramírez yesterday said he was not trying to show anybody up and he had some fun striking poses during batting practice, but his Cadillac moment (raising his arms as if he'd just hit a walkoff when his sixth-inning blast cut the score to 7-3) at home plate in Game 4 was classless and obnoxious. It was an embarrassment to anyone who says they love baseball and/or the Red Sox.
Funny...I don't remember anyone in Boston having a problem with it when he did the exact same thing in Game 2 of the ALDS when he hit the walk-off HR, and if they did, I don't remember reading or seeing anything about it. The only reason it's "classless and obnoxious" now is because Boston is down 3-1. Now, I'm not trying to defend Manny, but this is just Red Sox Nation being upset at being down in this series and needing someone in the Red Sox organization to ***** about...unfortunately for Manny, he gives them what they need. Anyone who watches baseball knows this side of Manny, but for Red Sox fans, as long as things are going well, it's not a problem.

Fenway
10-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Funny...I don't remember anyone in Boston having a problem with it when he did the exact same thing in Game 2 of the ALDS when he hit the walk-off HR, and if they did, I don't remember reading or seeing anything about it. The only reason it's "classless and obnoxious" now is because Boston is down 3-1. Now, I'm not trying to defend Manny, but this is just Red Sox Nation being upset at being down in this series and needing someone in the Red Sox organization to ***** about...unfortunately for Manny, he gives them what they need. Anyone who watches baseball knows this side of Manny, but for Red Sox fans, as long as things are going well, it's not a problem.

When you WIN a game it is one thing....

When your homer puts you behind by FOUR it is another

But it is the end of the world comment getting people worked up....

Frontman
10-18-2007, 09:48 AM
It is a case of "Manny being Manny" and Boston has allowed him to be this way for a while, its still funny to hear him say on the verge of elimination "It's not a big deal."

Err, yeah, it is. The fans have invested in their team all season, to be cavalier about it doesn't win him any points with the fans.

Noneck
10-18-2007, 10:00 AM
The blosox fans deserve this guy, Period.

misty60481
10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Why these guys like to be jerks is besides me. If it wasnt for baseball most would be working in Home Depot or a 7-11. I have noticed the big mouths--Manny--Bonds--etc. are all millionaires, if they didnt have the bank account I think they would keep there mouths shut.

jabrch
10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
It's just Manny being Manny...

palehozenychicty
10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
It's just Manny being Manny...

Nothing to see here. Please move along...

spawn
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
When you WIN a game it is one thing....

When your homer puts you behind by FOUR it is another

Sorry, but I don't think you should stand at home plate with your arms raised no matter the circumstance. If you want to celebrate a homerun that wins a game, fine. But there are ways to do that with being a complete *******.

DumpJerry
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm guessing he has a non-refundable fishing trip paid for in Northern Minnesota for October 21-28 and isn't planning on being available anyway.

roylestillman
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
The blosox fans deserve this guy, Period.

Not only deserve him but created him.

The Red Sox used to be one of my top 5 teams. This guy has pushed them into my least favorite.

chaerulez
10-18-2007, 10:55 AM
I know Manny will get ripped for these comments but I think they are being taken out of the context. It's not like he said he has given up or he doesn't try to win. I think he's putting sports in perspective, that if they lose in the overall picture it's really not that big of a deal. I know "Red Sox Nation" doesn't want to hear that, but there is more to life than MLB. But who knows, maybe Manny really doesn't care. However, even if he didn't mean it that way, life goes on even if the Red Sox don't win the 2007 ALCS.

Fenway
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Our local radio update guy/director is from Cleveland. He said during Manny's Cleveland days there was a time when clubhouse guys found several of his paychecks, not stubs, in his glove box. Another time he sent a clubhouse kid to get him some Burger King and gave him 3 $100 bills. He had no concept of what things cost. The kid just kept the rest as a tip.

A few years ago Manny's car was stolen in Boston and was recovered a few hours later. Police found 6 uncashed paychecks in the glove box.

Umm Manny ever hear of direct deposit?

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm guessing he has a non-refundable fishing trip paid for in Northern Minnesota for October 21-28 and isn't planning on being available anyway.

I heard it was a late cruise with the staff of the Vikings.

spiffie
10-18-2007, 12:46 PM
A few years ago Manny's car was stolen in Boston and was recovered a few hours later. Police found 6 uncashed paychecks in the glove box.

Umm Manny ever hear of direct deposit?
I think this sort of thing is why, even though I don't really like him or anything, I don't lump him in with the Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa's of the world, people who I think really are just total scumbags and jerks.

I think Manny is basically the baseball version of Forrest Gump, or Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" I just imagine him asking Ortiz to tell him about the rabbits.

ode to veeck
10-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Between this comment and his home run celebration the other night, I think it proves that headband is on far too tight under his hat......

The headband is a thinly veiled attempt to cover up that their is nothing inside of it.

thepaulbowski
10-18-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't see what is wrong with his comment. :?:

If the Red Sox lose, the sun comes up tomorrow and the world will still turn (except in Boston.) The fact that people are getting so worked up about this shows how looney they are and how Manny is actually the sane one. Boy, never thought I would type that. :o:

JB98
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I think Ramirez plays to win. He's just a hot dog, that's all.

And the insufferable Boston fans could probably use a healthy dose of perspective. If the Red Sox lose tonight, the world will still exist tomorrow. I promise.

Fenway
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
And the insufferable Boston fans could probably use a healthy dose of perspective. If the Red Sox lose tonight, the world will still exist tomorrow. I promise.

A giant tsunami will hit the New England coast and wipe out most of 6 states and sadly the ESPN complex in Bristol

zach23
10-18-2007, 03:30 PM
A typical week for the "Evil Empire" of Boston:

Monday - Fans love Manny and insist that every living being should be part of Red Sox nation. They insist that anyone not part of the nation is not worthy of living.
Tuesday - Fans hate Manny and start complaining how hard it is to be a Red Sox fan because the entire universe is out to get them.
Wednesday - Fans love Manny but complain about Bill Buckner and Bucky Dent.
Thursday - Fans hate Manny and begin thinking of mass suicide if the Red Sox lose another game.
Friday - Fans hate Manny even more and demand that he is traded. Theo Epstein is given enough new budget money to sign every free agent on the market. Fans complain about the evil Yankees being allowed to "buy" championships.
Saturday - Fans love Manny and squeal in delight when they learn that ticket prices are increasing 500% and they will have to allow other fans to sit on their lap in order to increase attendance capacity.
Sunday - Fans love Manny and insist that the entire country be required to stop and stand with their arms raised each time he hits a home run. ESPN is pleased.

soltrain21
10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Well, at least Papelbon supports him.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6094/mannypapelboncrotchyp6.jpg

chaerulez
10-18-2007, 04:36 PM
I think Ramirez plays to win. He's just a hot dog, that's all.

Exactly. It's really hard to question a guy who is one of the best pure hitters of this era if he is really trying. Like I've been saying, I really think he's just putting things on perspective. Sports are great, when the Bears lost the Super Bowl I wasn't happy, but at the end of the day it was just a game.

ws05champs
10-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't see what is wrong with his comment. :?:

If the Red Sox lose, the sun comes up tomorrow and the world will still turn (except in Boston.) The fact that people are getting so worked up about this shows how looney they are and how Manny is actually the sane one. Boy, never thought I would type that. :o:
You are right. There is nothing wrong with his statement. Yet with all that Manny could say, was this the best thing to say? It is obvious that this will not be the end of the world. But to say "who cares?" Well the fans care and the players should care. I want to know that the players will at least feel bad if they lose. I don't want to hear them say "who cares?"

getonbckthr
10-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I wish the Sox in 2000 and 2006 and the Cubs in 2007 had someone on their team that showed up to the clubhouse, felt no pressure because "there's always next season" and then tears the cover off the ball. Maybe if more people took this attitude (Paul Konerko, AJ Pierzynski) that life doesn't revolve around whether I go 5-5 or 0-3 they might actually perform better than they have.

pierzynski07
10-18-2007, 11:10 PM

He says that if the Red Sox lose the ALCS, it wouldn't be the "end of the world." That is right. The fate of the world does not rest on the Red Sox making the World Series. Of course, fanatical New Englanders will take Ramírez to task for this. And so will the Select-Teams-Of-The-Eastern-Seaboard Programming Network.

Fixed that for ya.