PDA

View Full Version : Flubs Fans Complaining

RKMeibalane
04-13-2002, 12:35 PM
It has been brought to my attention that Cubs fans are complaining about the "new-look" Comiskey Park. They think the Sox have copied off the Cubs by adding greenery in the outfield.

doublem23
04-13-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It has been brought to my attention that Cubs fans are complaining about the "new-look" Comiskey Park. They think the Sox have copied off the Cubs by adding greenery in the outfield.

Now if only we had an egomanical right fielder who either strikes out or pops up in key situations late in the game, the resemblances would be uncanny...

:maggs
I'm so good.

RedPinStripes
04-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

I saw something like this coming. Wait till the shrubbery over grows into ivy. Yup. that's what it looks like to me. It's starting to hang over and there is a reason for the wall and 2 levels they have. I'll bet they grow ivy on the big green walls.

Fisk72
04-13-2002, 05:43 PM
LMAO! I was rolling around on the floor laughing for the past five minutes! Anywho, yeah, I can see Flubs fans making excuses to shift the focus from how crappy they are. I just can't wait until the Crosstown series when we blow them apart. I drool whenever I think about how sweet our lineup is. Ha.Now if only we had an egomanical right fielder who either strikes out or pops up in key situations late in the game, the resemblances would be uncanny...

foulkesfan11
04-13-2002, 05:55 PM
There's a big difference in the two ballparks. AS for teh greenery turning into Ivy in the future, at least it wont interfere with the play of the game like it does at the toilet bowl also known as Wrigley.

doublem23
04-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Good Lord... I swear, I'll go nuts if they grow ivy out there. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

DrCrawdad
04-13-2002, 09:26 PM
On my way to my seat yesterday I ran into former SCORE host Les Grobstein. Les was pleasant. However, Les made a point to claim that the Sox have ripped off Wrigley by the CF greenery and the bricks facade on the main concourse.

I replied to Les, "yeah the Sox are always ripping off the Cubs. I mean look at Comiskey Park. There's grass on the field, dirt around the bases and did you see that the players wear uniforms too just like they do at Wrigley? Then there is air at Comiskey and you know the Sox stole that from Wrigley too. Come on, I know that you're a Cub fan, but don't be completely stupid. The Cubs don't own the monopoly on bricks or greenery."

This ripping off Wrigley feces is going to get old, fast.

When you hear Cub fans talk this smack about ripping off Wrigley, remember this:

The architect that designed Comiskey Park well they liked Comiskey Park so much that they used the same architect for Wrigley.

You see the Cubs with names on the backs of their uniforms. The Sox did that first.

And that grand Wrigley tradition of Harry singing "Take Me Out..." That began at Comiskey Park. (No one here would probably find this surprising, but I've met quite a few Cubbie fans who don't know that Harry did "Take Me Out..." at Comiskey first. In fact take a look at the Harry Caray restaurant website. From what they write, you'd never know that Harry was a Sox broadcaster FIRST.")

IF the shrubbery or the bricks are ripped off from Wrigley then it's about time that the Sox ripped off Wrigley for a change!

- DrCrawdad.

Chisox_cali
04-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Good Lord... I swear, I'll go nuts if they grow ivy out there. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Did you intend for that to rhyme?

Homer J Simpson
04-13-2002, 10:46 PM
If they insist on growing something, how about fruit trees, or vegetables instead?

I don't think root vegetables would give the desired effect, but maybe corn or tomatos......

Seriously, I think the ivy and shrubs will look great. Come on. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Daver
04-13-2002, 10:49 PM
Hey welcome aboard Homer! :redneck

Pete_SSAC
04-13-2002, 10:55 PM
My sig says it all...

- Pete

Viva Magglio
04-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
On my way to my seat yesterday I ran into former SCORE host Les Grobstein. Les was pleasant. However, Les made a point to claim that the Sox have ripped off Wrigley by the CF greenery and the bricks facade on the main concourse.

I replied to Les, "yeah the Sox are always ripping off the Cubs. I mean look at Comiskey Park. There's grass on the field, dirt around the bases and did you see that the players wear uniforms too just like they do at Wrigley? Then there is air at Comiskey and you know the Sox stole that from Wrigley too. Come on, I know that you're a Cub fan, but don't be completely stupid. The Cubs don't own the monopoly on bricks or greenery."

This ripping off Wrigley feces is going to get old, fast.

When you hear Cub fans talk this smack about ripping off Wrigley, remember this:

The architect that designed Comiskey Park well they liked Comiskey Park so much that they used the same architect for Wrigley.

You see the Cubs with names on the backs of their uniforms. The Sox did that first.

And that grand Wrigley tradition of Harry singing "Take Me Out..." That began at Comiskey Park. (No one here would probably find this surprising, but I've met quite a few Cubbie fans who don't know that Harry did "Take Me Out..." at Comiskey first. In fact take a look at the Harry Caray restaurant website. From what they write, you'd never know that Harry was a Sox broadcaster FIRST.")

IF the shrubbery or the bricks are ripped off from Wrigley then it's about time that the Sox ripped off Wrigley for a change!

- DrCrawdad.

If Cub fans want somebody to rip for copying their ivy, shouldn't they blame the Baltimore Orioles? When Oriole Park at Camden Yards was built, didn't they plant ivy beyond the center field wall?

Soxheads
04-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Homer J Simpson
If they insist on growing something, how about fruit trees, or vegetables instead?

I don't think root vegetables would give the desired effect, but maybe corn or tomatos......

Seriously, I think the ivy and shrubs will look great. Come on. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Welcome to WSI!

I think fruit would be nice.....

FarWestChicago
04-13-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
My sig says it all...

- Pete Your sig is way to big in kilobytes and size. Please shrink it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
If Cub fans want somebody to rip for copying their ivy, shouldn't they blame the Baltimore Orioles? When Oriole Park at Camden Yards was built, didn't they plant ivy beyond the center field wall?

Yup. All the fake "retro" ballparks have ivy somewhere. It's the biggest cliche in baseball. Figures those morons would claim it as their own.

My house is covered with ivy, and it's older than the weeds growing at Wrigley. Should I call Les Grobstein and tell him the Cubs ripped me off?

What a joke these people are.

palehosemike
04-13-2002, 11:18 PM
Wrigley field was not even the Cubs home field -

Originally called "Weeghman Park" it was the home of the Federals aka Whales of the Federal League.

When that league folded the owner of the Park, Charles Weeghman purchased the Cubs from the Taft family. The Cubs then occupied Wrigley field as its second tenants.

So they can all shut thier pie holes - the walls that thier ivy grows on was not originally thiers....

PHM

Daver
04-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

My house is covered with ivy, and it's older than the weeds growing at Wrigley.

Have you considered weed killer?

Anti-freeze works well also.

cheeses_h_rice
04-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by palehosemike
Wrigley field was not even the Cubs home field -

Originally called "Weeghman Park" it was the home of the Federals aka Whales of the Federal League.

When that league folded the owner of the Park, Charles Weeghman purchased the Cubs from the Taft family. The Cubs then occupied Wrigley field as its second tenants.

So they can all shut thier pie holes - the walls that thier ivy grows on was not originally thiers....

PHM

But I believe that the ivy was planted after the Flubs started playing there. If I recall correctly, it was Bill Veeck's idea to plant the ivy in the first place.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
Have you considered weed killer? Anti-freeze works well also.

It's quite attractive, really--on a HOUSE! However, it's a major pain in the *** to keep trimmed. It leaves thousands of little sticker feet all over the cedar, ruining the finish. Each summer I'm out there twice a month, standing on a ladder, keeping it contained to the brick portions of the house.

palehosemike
04-13-2002, 11:51 PM
CHEESE MY POST WAS REFERRING TO THE WALLS NOT THE IVY

PHM

PaleHoseGeorge
04-13-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
But I believe that the ivy was planted after the Flubs started playing there. If I recall correctly, it was Bill Veeck's idea to plant the ivy in the first place.

Correct. Though the Flubs had been playing there since the teens (and the Federal League Whales before them), the current outfield wall with ivy wasn't built until the early-40's. It's another one of those great Wrigley myths that the ballpark has always looked like this.

The whole damned team is built on a pack of lies. Only the biggest buffoons across America fall for it.

Why do you think the Flubs are so popular in Iowa?

:gulp:

Daver
04-13-2002, 11:53 PM

It's quite attractive, really--on a HOUSE! However, it's a major pain in the *** to keep trimmed. It leaves thousands of little sticker feet all over the cedar, ruining the finish. Each summer I'm out there twice a month, standing on a ladder, keeping it contained to the brick portions of the house.

You can borrow my flame-thrower if it will help. :redneck

voodoochile
04-13-2002, 11:53 PM
My sig says it all...

- Pete

NEE!!!

Soxheads
04-13-2002, 11:54 PM

Why do you think the Flubs are so popular in Iowa?

:gulp:

HEY!!!!!!

That was a shot!

Although I am one of the 18 Sox fans in Iowa.

DrCrawdad
04-13-2002, 11:54 PM
Forbes Field or Wrigley Field, both had ivy on the outfield walls. Which one grew the weeds first?

voodoochile
04-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Forbes Field or Wrigley Field, both had ivy on the outfield walls. Which one grew the weeds first?

Wasn't it at least paritally grown to give some padding to the bricks? I mean running into a brick wall with no padding while trying to catch a ball really sucks.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

HEY!!!!!!

That was a shot!

Although I am one of the 18 Sox fans in Iowa.

Exactly. How does it feel to be one of the 18 smartest people in the entire state?

:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-14-2002, 12:03 AM

Good question. Forbes was older than Wrigley, and Veeck didn't plant his ivy until the 40's. That entire outfield monstrosity (scoreboard, bleachers, ivy, the works) is barely 60 years old.

I'm betting Forbes was first. Pittsburgh simply wasn't smart enough to get some tired drunk to flap his gums about their beautiful ballpark coast to coast on a superstation every summer afternoon for ten years straight.

Soxheads
04-14-2002, 12:04 AM

Exactly. How does it feel to be one of the 18 smartest people in the entire state?

:cool:

Pretty darn good. The state of Iowa is a joke anyway if you don't count us 18. I mean, the triple A team in Iowa is the Iowa Cubs!

Can U Believe we Still suck?

Pete_SSAC
04-14-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Your sig is way to big in kilobytes and size. Please shrink it.

Better?

- Pete

FarWestChicago
04-14-2002, 12:15 AM

Better?

- Pete Well done. :smile:

DVG
04-14-2002, 04:20 AM

Yup. All the fake "retro" ballparks have ivy somewhere. It's the biggest cliche in baseball. Figures those morons would claim it as their own.

My house is covered with ivy, and it's older than the weeds growing at Wrigley. Should I call Les Grobstein and tell him the Cubs ripped me off?

What a joke these people are.

Funny you should mention that. The Park formerly known as
Enron has a brick wall backstop that looks exactly like Wrigley's.
Also, the Cardinals changed their bowl to make it look more
"retro." They included a green CF backdrop and greenery mixed
with it. Yet I don't recall Cub fans griping about that. I also don't
recall that untalented, hyperventilating hack Mariotti suggesting
that they or any other club with those soulless "retro" ballparks
give the Cubs "royalty" payments, the way he did with the Sox
last year. Then again, none of those teams are owned by his
sworn archenemy, Reinsdorf. Hence, no need to be nasty.

This is part of the Sox' PR problem. The Cub-loving media will
put it out there for public consumption that the Sox "ripped off"
the Cubs, never mind that every other team has done the same.
And never mind the Wrigley "traditions" that started in Comiskey.
Today's Wrigley in crowd doesn't know or care about that. They
will just look and see that the Sox "ripped off" the Cubs. Mean-
while, the Sox have no one in the media to effectively counter
that perception with facts, history, or just a good, plain "Ah,
shut the hell up!"

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Bill Veeck, according to legend, helped plant it as a kid, but it was his old man's idea.

ChiSoxBobette
04-19-2002, 02:38 PM
They Should Be Complaining About Thier Team And Stay At Gigley Field!
GO WHITE SOX!!!!

doublem23
04-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
They Should Be Complaining About Thier Team And Stay At Gigley Field!
GO WHITE SOX!!!!

Welcome to WSI, ChiSoxBob... :gulp:

With a 'tude like that, you'll fit right in. :D:

Sad
04-26-2002, 12:00 PM
ivy...
man... I remember when I was a kid making trips from our home in Valparaiso into Whiting every so many weekends during the summer to deal with vines on my grandma's brick house...

my dad would trim them and me & my brother were designated to rake them into bushel baskets & throw em out back by the tracks... I came to HATE this like trips to the dentist

good ole Schrage Avenue & Globe Roofing (scratch & sniff here)... wearing my White SOX hat into the adjacent tavern would often land me free pops tho!

I'm indifferent as to the ivy at Comiskey... that ole black batters eye was a bit drab... and hey, I dont have to maintain the ivy!

Bisco Stu
04-26-2002, 05:13 PM
I haven't read all the replies, so maybe it's been suggested, but I think they should grow medical marijuana in Comiskey. Give it to the Flubs fans after we sweep 'em there.