PDA

View Full Version : whos better

misty60481
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Boring time of year, watching teams play we dont really care about, to early for FA signings or trades. Just thought I d start a little controversy who is better GM, KW or Hendry ? KW has one thing nobody can take away---05--, Hendry did bring a team from last to 1st in one year. Granted he had a payroll most GMs would give there eyeteeth for and played in worst division in baseball. But he still made it happen. It was no fun watching Cubs go up while we collapsed, I think KWs ego is too big to let it happen next year. I look for a big offseason.

rdwj
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't think there is any question - Hendry isn't even in the same legue as KW.

JohnTucker0814
10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Boring time of year, watching teams play we dont really care about, to early for FA signings or trades. Just thought I d start a little controversy who is better GM, KW or Hendry ? KW has one thing nobody can take away---05--, Hendry did bring a team from last to 1st in one year. Granted he had a payroll most GMs would give there eyeteeth for and played in worst division in baseball. But he still made it happen. It was no fun watching Cubs go up while we collapsed, I think KWs ego is too big to let it happen next year. I look for a big offseason.

I believe the White Sox payroll to start the year was higher than the Cubs... correct me if I'm wrong...

Honestly I don't know enough about Hendry to rate him. I know Kenny has made some good trades: Garcia for Reed +; Contreras for Loaiza; Uribe for Miles. However I think he's made some questionable moves: Power arm bullpen; C. Young for Vazquez (I know I'll get ripped and hind sight is 20/20, but I still think it ended up being a bad trade.)

I guess I don't have an answer, but since I'm a Sox fan, I'll obviously think KW is better... :D:

GoSox2K3
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM

This says it all. I don't think Hendry is a terrible GM, but how much skill does it take when your bosses give you practically blank checks to land Soriano and Lilly?

His trades for Ramirez and D. Lee were total steals, but was that because of his skill or because of the Pirates and Marlins stupidity? Probably a little of both.

Also, it really does help to play in the NL Central instead of the AL Central. Average wins needed to get in the playoffs the last 2 seasons is 84. Nice! Plus the Cubs get the benefit this year of playing 5 bad division rivals 18 times each in '07. How much did that fatten their win total this year?

As far as KW goes, I think most of his trades have been good. The biggest problem I have with the Sox is lack of any talent in the farm system. I don't know if that is KW's responsibility or someone elses - that has been a big failure the last few seasons for Sox brass.

kraut83
10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't think there is any question - Hendry isn't even in the same legue as KW.

Call me when KW gets a deal done while lying in a hospital bed with half a spleen!

misty60481
10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
We are really going to have to improve, we are in a tough division. Cleveland looks to be good for a few years and if Detroit gets help they will be good. I dont know if we can compete without help. I think we will need outside help, I cant see our farm system helping much in 08.

cws05champ
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
This says it all. I don't think Hendry is a terrible GM, but how much skill does it take when your bosses give you practically blank checks to land Soriano and Lilly?

His trades for Ramirez and D. Lee were total steals, but was that because of his skill or because of the Pirates and Marlins stupidity? Probably a little of both.

Pirates stupidity I'll give you, but the Marlins have proved to be excellent evaluators of talent. Also, Remember the fleecing of the Cubs for Juan Pierre only to lose him the next year for nothing. Also the trade this year for Trachsel...that made no sense whatsoever. Hendry was given a ton of money to spend and put together a bunch of pieces that didn't fit together very well. Lou made it work eventually, but I beleive KW has been a better Gm over time. He consistently tries his best to make this team a winner, even if it doesn't always work out(Bullpen last year).

eriqjaffe
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Hendry isn't even in the same legue as KW.This is correct both figuratively and literally.

GoSox2K3
10-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Pirates stupidity I'll give you, but the Marlins have proved to be excellent evaluators of talent. Also, Remember the fleecing of the Cubs for Juan Pierre only to lose him the next year for nothing. Also the trade this year for Trachsel...that made no sense whatsoever. Hendry was given a ton of money to spend and put together a bunch of pieces that didn't fit together very well. Lou made it work eventually, but I beleive KW has been a better Gm over time. He consistently tries his best to make this team a winner, even if it doesn't always work out(Bullpen last year).

I agree. I was just thinking in terms of that D. Lee trade for (IIRC) Hee Sop Choi. But, yeah, that was one of Florida's few mistakes. You bring up a great point about that Juan Pierre trade. Also, the Cubs traded Dontrelle Willis to Fla. for Matt Clement.

SBSoxFan
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I agree. I was just thinking in terms of that D. Lee trade for (IIRC) Hee Sop Choi. But, yeah, that was one of Florida's few mistakes. You bring up a great point about that Juan Pierre trade. Also, the Cubs traded Dontrelle Willis to Fla. for Matt Clement.

Was Lee going to be a FA? Primary to talent, organizations like the Pirates and the Marlins make decisions based on finances. They often trade players who they can no longer "afford." Florida obviously has done a better job with the talent they've received.

Frontman
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
KW hasn't found a lead-off hitter.

Hendry promised a 30 HR power hitter the leadoff spot, and the player pouts and refuses to perform when placed anywhere else in the lineup. Hendry locked his team into that player for longer than the next President of the United States will be in office; and said player already has two bad legs.

Hands down, Kenny Williams.

eriqjaffe
10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Was Lee going to be a FA?I'm pretty sure that Lee was going to be a FA after the 2004 season. At least, if I'm reading his info on Cot's correctly.

upperdeckusc
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Hendry promised a 30 HR power hitter the leadoff spot, and the player pouts and refuses to perform when placed anywhere else in the lineup. Hendry locked his team into that player for longer than the next President of the United States will be in office; and said player already has two bad legs.

im guessing that KW thought pods was going to be the leadoff hitter of the present and future when he signed him. he cant really forsee injuries that made him completely worthless like he is now. imagine if he had '05 type yrs in '06 and '07. i'm sure that was the gameplan when he traded c.lee for him.....oh well. on to greener pastures.
or jerry owens :tongue:

FedEx227
10-17-2007, 01:12 PM

Indeed. I told all my Cub fan friends and I remember posting it here when the deal was done.

The Soriano deal will KILL the Cubs for the coming years.

SOXPHILE
10-17-2007, 02:53 PM

He's also basically been kicked off of 3 other teams in the last few years. Last year with the Nationals, in the first spring training game, he refused to go out to his outfield position when the manager pencilled him in.

FedEx227
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
He's also basically been kicked off of 3 other teams in the last few years. Last year with the Nationals, in the first spring training game, he refused to go out to his outfield position when the manager pencilled him in.

Plus it's absolutely pathetic how many times they've had to change his position.

He came up as a SS, moved to 3B, moved to 2B, moved to LF, moved to CF, moved back to LF.

Has he excelled in any of them, absolutely not. Great he can throw people out, but he's never in the right spot, he misses tons of easy flies, etc.

eriqjaffe
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Plus it's absolutely pathetic how many times they've had to change his position.

He came up as a SS, moved to 3B, moved to 2B, moved to LF, moved to CF, moved back to LF.

Has he excelled in any of them, absolutely not. Great he can throw people out, but he's never in the right spot, he misses tons of easy flies, etc.He's a born DH. In the National League.