PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi back?

SouthSide2Ship
10-16-2007, 11:47 PM
I know I need to move on from the squad we all fell in love with in 2005. I also know that spokesmen from the White Sox have already said they have seen enough from Danny Richar to pencil him in at 2nd base in '08. But, I'm not sold on Richar. His .230 avg., 6 hr, 15 rbi, and 1 stolen base in his limited 56 game 187 big league at bats don't impress me at all. I don't see how these numbers show the Sox he is ready for the job. My question is would you want him back? You think the Sox are living under the radar again and will entertain the idea of bringing him back? Would he want to come back? Thanks.

hi im skot
10-16-2007, 11:55 PM
I love Tadahito, but Richar will be a key piece for the Sox in 2008.

WhiteSox5187
10-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I think that Richar is going to be a big part of the '08 White Sox and I'm not entirely sold on him but I don't think having him towards the bottom of our order will do any damage so long as he's the only one (I don't think a lineup with Richar AND Owens is going to go anywhere).

DumpJerry
10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I know I need to move on.
Yup.

Why is it whenever we trade someone to Philly, Sox fans pine away for his return?

itsnotrequired
10-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Yup.

Why is it whenever we trade someone to Philly, Sox fans pine away for his return?

I don't recall much pining for Garcia.

spawn
10-17-2007, 07:31 AM
I know I need to move on from the squad we all fell in love with in 2005. I also know that spokesmen from the White Sox have already said they have seen enough from Danny Richar to pencil him in at 2nd base in '08. But, I'm not sold on Richar. His .230 avg., 6 hr, 15 rbi, and 1 stolen base in his limited 56 game 187 big league at bats don't impress me at all. I don't see how these numbers show the Sox he is ready for the job. My question is would you want him back? You think the Sox are living under the radar again and will entertain the idea of bringing him back? Would he want to come back? Thanks.
I'll preface this by saying I love Iguchi. I love the contributions he made while a member with the White Sox, and I was sad to see him traded. That said, Richar, IMHO, is already a better defensive second baseman than Tadahito. He's got better range, and he defintiely has a better arm. Also, while with the Sox in '07, Iguchi hit .251/6/31 in 90 games and 327 AB's. I don't see how you can say you're not sold on Richar because of his offensive numbers when they are comparable to Iguchi's. Also, Richar was a rookie adjusting to Major League pitching. I'm not ready to annoint him the 2nd baseman of the future, but I think he's a better choice than Iguchi for the job at this point.

DumpJerry
10-17-2007, 07:47 AM
He was on the DL. Wait and see what happens if he is able to pitch in '08.

Remember, the outcry for Gio Gonzalez was so strong, the Sox had to give up Sweaty Freddy to get him back.

Rocky Soprano
10-17-2007, 09:08 AM

There was when the trade was made.

Jerko
10-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Wait till we trade Garland there.

cws05champ
10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I'll preface this by saying I love Iguchi. I love the contributions he made while a member with the White Sox, and I was sad to see him traded. That said, Richar, IMHO, is already a better defensive second baseman than Tadahito. He's got better range, and he defintiely has a better arm. Also, while with the Sox in '07, Iguchi hit .251/6/31 in 90 games and 327 AB's. I don't see how you can say you're not sold on Richar because of his offensive numbers when they are comparable to Iguchi's. Also, Richar was a rookie adjusting to Major League pitching. I'm not ready to annoint him the 2nd baseman of the future, but I think he's a better choice than Iguchi for the job at this point.

I agree that Richar should be the guy next year, I just hope they don't screw with this kid and pull him out if he struggles the 1st month or two. Stick with him and watch him develop. Look at what Dustin Pedroia did this year with the BoSox. He struggled mightily the first month hitting only .182, then hit over .300 almost every month for the rest of the season.

itsnotrequired
10-17-2007, 10:21 AM

But that happens with any everyday player when they are traded.

I wonder if there would be as much Garcia talk as there is Rowand talk if Garcia wasn't injured?

spawn
10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
I wonder if there would be as much Garcia talk as there is Rowand talk if Garcia wasn't injured?
With the way Contreras pitched most of the season, that's a certainty. There would've been cries that the wrong pitcher was traded. There would probably be threads wanting him back as well...

oeo
10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
He was on the DL. Wait and see what happens if he is able to pitch in '08.

If he's able to pitch next year, then let's sign him!

veeter
10-17-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't recall much pining for Garcia.I do. He'll be available coming off surgery, and I'd love to see him with the Sox again.

gobears1987
10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
If Richar can play SS, I would be happy to get Iguchi back. Richar's D is good enough that if he can play SS I would still be happy if we didn't get much from him offensively. It would also allow us to get rid of Uribe. He is such a bum and not worth a penny of our money next year.

sox1970
10-17-2007, 01:14 PM
If Richar can play SS, I would be happy to get Iguchi back. Richar's D is good enough that if he can play SS I would still be happy if we didn't get much from him offensively. It would also allow us to get rid of Uribe. He is such a bum and not worth a penny of our money next year.

Richar will not be playing shortstop. I know Uribe had a bad year, and has mental lapses, but he's also not the reason why the Sox lost 90 games. There are a lot of shortstops that are worse than Juan Uribe. At a $5 million option, I don't care either way if they keep him or not for another year.

FedEx227
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
IIRC Richar has tried SS and has been nowhere near as successful there as he is at 2B. I don't remember if it was arm or range, but I'd prefer to keep Richar at 2B.

russ99
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Iguchi was great with the Sox, but realize that part of the reason he signed here is because he was an inexpensive pickup - especially considering his production in 05 and 06.

Now that he's a free agent and due a large raise, he's not so appealing anymore, especially when Richar can be as good within a year or two (and with a higher upside IMO) and is still making a rookie salary.

The Sox have too many holes to fill, and wasting precious salary money on sentimentality is a bad idea. Ditto goes for Aaron, even though he'd bring more to the team than Iguchi.

SouthSide2Ship
10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Iguchi was great with the Sox, but realize that part of the reason he signed here is because he was an inexpensive pickup - especially considering his production in 05 and 06.

Now that he's a free agent and due a large raise, he's not so appealing anymore, especially when Richar can be as good within a year or two (and with a higher upside IMO) and is still making a rookie salary.

The Sox have too many holes to fill, and wasting precious salary money on sentimentality is a bad idea. Ditto goes for Aaron, even though he'd bring more to the team than Iguchi.

Good Point. Everyones input has made me feel better about Richar. I joked in another thread about Sweeney starting in left next year. But who if anyone is penciled in for that position???

pearso66
10-17-2007, 07:19 PM

There was pining for Garcia up until the day it was mentioned he'd miss the remainder of the season. I think there were still people in September saying we lost that trade.