PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jackson

ChiSoxFann
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I was in my speech class the other day and a kid was giving a speech about the White Sox, and during it he said Joe Jackson has the MLB record with 12 Home Runs in the 1919 Playoffs:?:. When I asked him about I said he only hit one home run in the world series then he started to talk about he hit them in other playoff games.

Any idea where this "information" may have come from?

DumpJerry
10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Per Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksjo01.shtml), Jackson had 12 hits and one home run in the World Series in 1919. He had 7 home runs in the regular season in 1919 and 12 home runs in the 1920 season. There were no playoffs in baseball back then, only the World Series.

The kid gets an "F" for poor research.

ChiSoxFann
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I told him about divisional playoffs in 69 but he didn't believe it. Thanks for the info.

DumpJerry
10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I told him about divisional playoffs in 69 but he didn't believe it. Thanks for the info.
www.baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com) will resolve 99% of all baseball related arguments. It is an amazing treasure trove of information.

TDog
10-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Kids today.

Introduce the research-lazy pupil (who doesn't seem to have earned the right to be called a student) to the Baseball Retrosheet. Joe Jackson only hit seven home runs during the 1919 regular season (which was 140 games long with no league playoff system) before he hit the only home run hit by either team in the 1919 World Series. Babe Ruth set a single-season record with 29 home runs in 1919. Twelve home runs in the eight-game World Series could have generated talk of banning Jackson for steroid use before the future commissioner banned him for taking money from gambling interests.

Jackson did hit 12 home runs in the 154-game 1920 regular season (some would say championship season, as is discussed in another current WSI thread). That year Babe Ruth set the single-season record with 54.

I don't care how good the kid's inflection or eye-contact was. Give the kid an F for poor research and not admitting he was wrong when confronted with the inaccuracies of his research.

For many years, Babe Ruth held the record for total World Series home runs, with 15. He played in a lot of World Series games. He never played in a league championship series, as such things did not exist.

BainesHOF
10-17-2007, 03:33 AM
I don't care how good the kid's inflection or eye-contact was. Give the kid an F for poor research and not admitting he was wrong when confronted with the inaccuracies of his research.

You can put it on the boaaaaaard, yesssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!