PDA

View Full Version : I found out Cleveland hates Chicago

Fenway
10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Fox frowns on crew members wearing a hat of one of the 2 teams playing but you can wear another teams hat so last night I wore my 2005 World Champion White Sox hat.

In the space of 6 hours I got sworn at, cursed at, was called names and had a beer poured over my head :angry:

I have been wearing a Boston hat to Yankee Stadium for years and NEVER went through anything like this. The Cleveland fans make Oakland seem like choir boys.

I know people here don't like the Red Sox fans much but these lunitics out here are out of control.

The Red Sox fans who were in The Jake last night were also harrassed. I can tell you that did not happen to Cleveland fans at Fenway.

CHIsoxNation
10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I think we all good a pretty good idea of how classy Cleveland fans are when we saw how they treated Thome.

spawn
10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
I've never heard good stories regarding Indians fans. Pouring beer on your head was uncalled for. Please tell me the idiot that did that was kicked out of the park.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I've never heard good stories regarding Indians fans. Pouring beer on your head was uncalled for. Please tell me the idiot that did that was kicked out of the park.

Yes a 300 pound security guard got him good :smile:

The guard looked like he could play for the Browns.

AZChiSoxFan
10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Fox frowns on crew members wearing a hat of one of the 2 teams playing but you can wear another teams hat so last night I wore my 2005 World Champion White Sox hat.

In the space of 6 hours I got sworn at, cursed at, was called names and had a beer poured over my head :angry:

I have been wearing a Boston hat to Yankee Stadium for years and NEVER went through anything like this. The Cleveland fans make Oakland seem like choir boys.

I know people here don't like the Red Sox fans much but these lunitics out here are out of control.

The Red Sox fans who were in The Jake last night were also harrassed. I can tell you that did not happen to Cleveland fans at Fenway.

What did you expect? I mean, after all, they live in Cleveland. Sam Wyche was dead on.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
What did you expect? I mean, after all, they live in Cleveland. Sam Wyche was dead on.

I knew enough not to wear a Patriots hat ...they really love Belichick here

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Fenway -that sucks you had to deal with that.

I was in Cleveland in 2002 on a business trip and got tix to the Indians game(playing KC). I had no Sox gear of any kind on, but one of the guys in our group (from Cleveland) starts screaming that I was a Sox fan. Good natured ribbing did not exist; I was f bombed, my wife was called all kinds of names, etc. There was a group of 20 somethings that wanted to get into it....and they whipped a hot dog at me.

I got up, went to security, told them about it, and left. I vowed never to step foot in that place again.

Oh, and Mr. Cleveland, my "co worker" in the group? Was fired a week later for drinking on the job.

spawn
10-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Fenway -that sucks you had to deal with that.

I was in Cleveland in 2002 on a business trip and got tix to the Indians game(playing KC). I had no Sox gear of any kind on, but one of the guys in our group (from Cleveland) starts screaming that I was a Sox fan. Good natured ribbing did not exist; I was f bombed, my wife was called all kinds of names, etc. There was a group of 20 somethings that wanted to get into it....and they whipped a hot dog at me.

I got up, went to security, told them about it, and left. I vowed never to step foot in that place again.

Oh, and Mr. Cleveland, my "co worker" in the group? Was fired a week later for drinking on the job.
You know, I've wanted to see a game at The Jake since it opened. But if this is how they treat fans of the opposing team, then I'll pass.

Hendu
10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
For the next game, you should wear a Baltimore Ravens hat. They'll be thrilled with that. :tongue:

Fenway
10-16-2007, 11:24 AM
For the next game, you should wear a Baltimore Ravens hat. They'll be thrilled with that. :tongue:

Oh sure...why mot invite Art Model to the game tonight while I'm at it

ilsox7
10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
You know, I've wanted to see a game at The Jake since it opened. But if this is how they treat fans of the opposing team, then I'll pass.

I've been to the Jake numerous times in Sox gear and never had a problem. Sadly, the things described in this thread happen at every ballpark, even Sox Park.

spawn
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I've been to the Jake numerous times in Sox gear and never had a problem. Sadly, the things described in this thread happen at every ballpark, even Sox Park.
I guess I've been lucky enough not to witness a fan of the opposing team getting ridiculed or sworn at while I've been at a game at USCF. Sure, there's some good natured ribbing, but nothing to the extent of a fan not being able to enjoy him/herself. Of course, it has been a looong time since I've seen a Cubs/Sox game at the Cell...:D:

ilsox7
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I guess I've been lucky enough not to witness a fan of the opposing team getting ridiculed or swon at while I've been at a game at USCF. Sure, there's some good natured ribbing, but nothing to the extent of a fan not being able to enjoy him/herself. Of course, it has been a looong time since I've seen a Cubs/Sox game at the Cell...:D:

The last time I sat near the bleachers at a Sox game (2005 I think it was), it reminded me of the stereotype Cubs bleachers. Underage drinking, cussing, yelling, not paying attention to the game, etc. There are plenty of idiots at any ballpark, especially drunk ones.

SOXPHILE
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
That sucks. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

More importantly, was the 2005 Championship hat O.K. ? (Should that be in teal ?)

Huisj
10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I've never been to a game in Cleveland, but I do remember in September of '05 at the Joe Crede walk-off game against Cleveland that there were bunches of rowdy Indians fans roaming around verbally harassing anyone they could outside the stadium before the game. They were being quite nasty, even to families walking around with their children, and that was 2 hours before the game even started. I wasn't real impressed.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 12:03 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

More importantly, was the 2005 Championship hat O.K. ? (Should that be in teal ?)

Hat will be fine......it just smells like stale beer :gulp::gulp:

thedudeabides
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Ditto. I've been there several times and never had any trouble. But, most games I've been to had very small crowds. Also, there seems to be a lot of Sox fans at the Jake when they're playing each other.

Viva Medias B's
10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I went to two of our games at Jacobs Field this past July wearing White Sox apparel and had no problems. The guys Fenway had trouble with probably had too much firewater.

D. TODD
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I've never been to a game in Cleveland, but I do remember in September of '05 at the Joe Crede walk-off game against Cleveland that there were bunches of rowdy Indians fans roaming around verbally harassing anyone they could outside the stadium before the game. They were being quite nasty, even to families walking around with their children, and that was 2 hours before the game even started. I wasn't real impressed.
I was at that game as well, and some Indian fans in the row directly in front of me caught plenty of flack from Sox fans after Crede went yard. Nothing thrown at them or on them, but there was a verbal assult sent there way that was pretty intense. The last time I've been to the Jake was over 5 years ago on a bus trip with a local American legion, and outside of the park there was some "jawing" back and forth with fans, but no real issues inside the park itself. I really liked the Jake as a ballpark actually.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I went to two of our games at Jacobs Field this past July wearing White Sox apparel and had no problems. The guys Fenway had trouble with probably had too much firewater.

Just walking around downtown today and was called some names. Where does this hate come from????? Of course I COULD say I'm from Boston :tongue:

spawn
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Just walking around downtown today and was called some names. Where does this hate come from????? Of course I COULD say I'm from Boston :tongue:
I guess some people have a hard time separating sports from the real world. That's just sad.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
I guess some people have a hard time separating sports from the real world. That's just sad.

I can see Cleveland hating Pittsburgh and Cincinnati ( plus Baltimore ) but there is pure venom towards Chicago. Is this because of 2005?

The Immigrant
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Is this because of 2005?

I think it's more because Cleveland is a piece of **** town and the people who still live there are kind of a bitter bunch. :wink:

MUsoxfan
10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I can see Cleveland hating Pittsburgh and Cincinnati ( plus Baltimore ) but there is pure venom towards Chicago. Is this because of 2005?

Probably because as much as us Sox fans say nobody pays us any attention and we're constantly overlooked....it's probably 4x that in Cleveland.

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2007, 02:33 PM

First off, I'm sorry you had to deal with what you had to deal with. From my experiences, though, and I've only dealt with them at Comiskey, Twins fans have been the worst in the division.

In response to the quoted material, I have two theories that come to my mind here:

First off, unlike Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Baltimore, we've had a great deal of sports fortunes that those other cities (as well as Cleveland) can't boast about: 3 Stanley Cups, 9 NFL Titles (including the best team to ever hit the grid iron), 5 World Series titles (including one as recently as 2005, holding their Tribe off in the process), and 6 NBA titles. Our sports tradition is up there with New York, Detroit, and Boston in terms of impressiveness. From a sports standpoint, when you haven't seen a single championship of ANY kind in 2 generations, and then you look at the fortunes of other cities, it can get to you, I'd imagine.

Secondly, look at things from a commercial standpoint. There is no city other than New York (maybe LA) that can really boast the same economic prominence in this country. Cleveland is improving economically and with its physical apperance (as is Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Baltimore), but Chicago is lightyears ahead of virtually ANY city here in that department. Chicago is such a "hopping" city with so much to do and a downtown that is even bustling with energy in the coldest days of winter.

Hendu
10-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Michael Jordan pulls up at the top of the key and hits the jumper. Craig Ehlo collapses in the background as MJ leaps and repeatedly pumps his fist.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Michael Jordan pulls up at the top of the key and hits the jumper. Craig Ehlo collapses in the background as MJ leaps and repeatedly pumps his fist.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/7/7d/Ehlo_jordan_040610.jpg

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
From my experiences, though, and I've only dealt with them at Comiskey, Twins fans have been the worst in the division.Yet I've never had a bad experience with the fans at the Metrodome, despite being completely decked out in Sox gear, black and silver from head to toe. The park itself is awful, but the Twins fans agree about that.

Uncle_Patrick
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM

If you wore a Cubs hat you'd be ok because everyone loves the Cubs.:tongue:

spawn
10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
That brings up an interesting point...do Cleveland fans hate all Chicago teams, or is it just the White Sox? I can see why Detroit fans would hate us, as we've had some pretty heated rivalries in all of the major sports. But Cleveland???

Fenway
10-16-2007, 03:21 PM
If you wore a Cubs hat you'd be ok because everyone loves the Cubs.:tongue:

There is more of a chance I would wear a Yankees hat than a Cubs one :tongue:

Domeshot17
10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Yet I've never had a bad experience with the fans at the Metrodome, despite being completely decked out in Sox gear, black and silver from head to toe. The park itself is awful, but the Twins fans agree about that.

Very true, We went up in 2006 in august to the metrodome to see the Sox vs Twins. I talked to a twins fan sitting next to me how it was sad when Kirby died, how he was a great player, they told me about a video tribute they had for him and how its sad the days of great players like him and the big hurt were coming to an end. Minus a few comments I had a great time at minnesota, even though the park should only be used for AA games or below.

thomas35forever
10-16-2007, 04:10 PM
It all started when Jack Parkman taunted the Tribe fans as he rounded the bases in Game 7 of the ALCS.

DumpJerry
10-16-2007, 04:25 PM
I wore a Thome Sox shirt at a Sox/Tribe game this year at The Jake. I got harassed about the Tirbe being in First, but nothing was said to me about my Thome shirt.

October26
10-16-2007, 04:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Fenway. Beer poured over your head? That's horrible. I had to turn the sound down during the game last night because Joe Buck and what's his face were drooling on and on about how WONDERFUL the fanbase is in Cleveland and how they LOVE their team and the whole Kenny Lofton, mayor of cleveland garbage. Disgusting. :puking::puking::puking:

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Fenway. Beer poured over your head? That's horrible. I had to turn the sound down during the game last night because Joe Buck and what's his face were drooling on and on about how WONDERFUL the fanbase is in Cleveland and how they LOVE their team and the whole Kenny Lofton, mayor of cleveland garbage. Disgusting. :puking::puking::puking:
I wonder if they're gonna boo Lebron James this season for wearing a Yankee hat at their stadium as much as they've booed Jim Thome. :dunno:

DumpJerry
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I wonder if they're gonna boo Lebron James this season for wearing a Yankee hat at their stadium as much as they've booed Jim Thome. :dunno:
They won't.

nysox35
10-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Yikes, sorry to hear that Fenway. Enjoy the game tonight!

nccwsfan
10-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Fenway,
Sorry to hear that happened to you- hard to understand why people would react in that manner b/c you're wearing a White Sox hat. Pouring a beer on anyone's head is plain immature.

I went to a few of the games in Philadelphia this year wearing White Sox gear and had no problems- in fact some of them were great to talk to. Also, when Thome came up to bat he gets a standing ovation from the Philly fans. Yet Philly fans get the bad rap and Cleveland fans are passionate...puhleeze :rolleyes:.

Keep us updated on your Cleveland trip.

Fenway
10-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the idea. The Browns store stocks them for some reason.

goon
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Mistake by the lake.

johnr1note
10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
First off, I'm sorry you had to deal with what you had to deal with. From my experiences, though, and I've only dealt with them at Comiskey, Twins fans have been the worst in the division.

In response to the quoted material, I have two theories that come to my mind here:

First off, unlike Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Baltimore, we've had a great deal of sports fortunes that those other cities (as well as Cleveland) can't boast about: 3 Stanley Cups, 9 NFL Titles (including the best team to ever hit the grid iron), 5 World Series titles (including one as recently as 2005, holding their Tribe off in the process), and 6 NBA titles. Our sports tradition is up there with New York, Detroit, and Boston in terms of impressiveness. From a sports standpoint, when you haven't seen a single championship of ANY kind in 2 generations, and then you look at the fortunes of other cities, it can get to you, I'd imagine.

I don't buy this. Other than the Bulls, our sports fortunes have been similar to Cleveland's. We have three Stanley Cups -- the last one was in 1962. (Of course, Cleveland's NHL team went bankrupt). We have 9 NFL titles, but only one (1985) in the same time frame as our last Stanley Cup. (The Browns won many, many championships in the 50s and early 60s. But of course, they also left town for Baltimore) If not for 2005, all 4 of our World Series titles would pre-date Cleveland's two WS titles (1920 and 1947). Other than the Bulls, we can't make any claim to being a city of champions. We don't hold a candle to New York, Detroit, or Boston, except for maybe Basketball. Maybe its because I'm not much of a basketball fan, but I can't see all the animosity from Cleveland just flowing from those 6 NBA titles in the 90s.

Indeed, just as the Bulls began thier playoff run, back in the early days of New Comiskey and around the time Jacobs Field opened, the Jake sold out every game, for several years running. The only way Indians fans who weren't season ticket holders or were lucky enough to get tickets to see the Tribe was to go to away games. There was a cottage industry in those days for travel packages from Cleveland to Chicago for White Sox games. I had season tickets in those days, and the seats around me would be packed with Tribe fans in war paint and feathers, toting drums. They were some of the most obnoxious visiting fans I ever experienced -- many similar tales to the ones already told in this thread -- and because they came in large numbers, they were often emboldened to push their razzing of Sox fans to another level. The only group of visiting fans I have seen be worse are the Cubs.

They do hate us, as Twins fans do, but its not universal, and sometimes the visitors from Cleveland were both polite and knowledgeable. I think its more in line with chisoxfanatic's second argument, regarding economic jealousy. Cleveland's nickname is the "mistake by the lake." It was hit hard when midwest industry stumbled in the 60s and 70s. They have an inferiority complex, to be sure.

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
We truly do hold a candle to at least Detroit and Boston. We've all had about the same number of championships.

Myrtle72
10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow, that's terrible, Fenway! :o: I honestly thought Red Sox fans were bad, but that's so much worse. I've worn White Sox clothes to Fenway (the ballpark...) several times and while people weren't exactly thrilled by it, it did start relatively intelligent conversations about the '05 Sox. I've also seen several people wear Yankees hats at Fenway and never seen anything as drastic as what you went through.

DumpJerry
10-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Clearly you have not had Tiger or Tribe fans sit near you.

Minnesota culture does not allow for ovrely obnoxious behavior. This is the one place in the country I've been in (lived there 7 years) where people refuse to walk against a "Don't Walk" sign even at 2:00 a.m. with no absolutely no traffic whatsoever visible. Minnesotans, with their stoic Scandinavian underpinning, are very calm people, even when pissed as all Hell with you. I worked for politicians up there and many gave presentations about one candidate or another where during my talk the audience would be stone-faced. Think they like what I said? Ha! One person would state in a matter-as-fact tone that "we don't agree with your candidate" and leave it at that. That is the same as someone down here telling you to get out of this room before we shoot you.

I went to Sox/Twins games up there. Saw the Bears humiliate the Vikes on that Thurdsday Night game in the '85 season up there and cheer my ass off eery time for the Chicago team. Nobody ever harassed me.

The Twins fans who come to Comiskey for the past few years have been fine except for these two clowns at one game last year who acted like every play starting in the First Inning that went the Twins' way was the final out of Game 7. I yelled at them to shut up because this was not the World Series, they were playing the White Sox and how would they do against the Tribe. They were quiet as mice after that. Wimps.

TDog
10-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not surprised with this. I hate Cleveland and its fans and hope that in the year I turn 91, I will see the Indians become the second major league team to go at least a century without winning a World Series.

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Clearly you have not had Tiger or Tribe fans sit near you.
I've never heard a Tiger or Tribe fan start chanting "**** Chicago!" before.

The Immigrant
10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Minnesota culture does not allow for overly obnoxious behavior.

Clearly that changes when their youth moves to Lincoln Park and starts emulating Cubs fans.

MarySwiss
10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

That brings up an interesting point...do Cleveland fans hate all Chicago teams, or is it just the White Sox? I can see why Detroit fans would hate us, as we've had some pretty heated rivalries in all of the major sports. But Cleveland???

I really don't know what the deal is with Cleveland fans. I have a good friend who's from Cleveland and during 2005, it was absolutely killing him that the Sox were winning. And when Cleveland started their run, I had to take a boatload of **** from him. During the playoffs and World Series, I had people over a few times, and he never showed. When I called him on it, he said he just couldn't stand to watch the Sox win.

Spawn, you may have something. Maybe the reason they hate us is because we haven't had many heated rivalries with them. (The Bulls-Cavs doesn't count, IMO; the Cavs were basically just a minor roadblock. Now, Bulls-Pistons, otoh...)

Anyway, I'm not surprised, based on the unending boo'ing of one of the guys they SHOULD be grateful for. Without Big Jim, their 15 minutes would've been more like 15 seconds.

But no one has asked the most important question. Fens, whose hat are you wearing tonight? :smile:

FielderJones
10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
If not for 2005, all 4 of our World Series titles would pre-date Cleveland's two WS titles (1920 and 1947).

:o:

We have 3; 1906, 1917, 2005.

TDog
10-16-2007, 08:28 PM
:o:

We have 3; 1906, 1917, 2005.

Chicago Cubs won the World Series in 1907 and 1908. Chicago vs. Cleveland, before 2005, would have all four Chicago titles preceding the two Cleveland titles.

Truth is, I try to ignore the Cubs, too.

WSox597
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Eh, I've been to Cleveland, back when the lake caught fire regularly.

A truly fugly city, and i'm sure the ensuing years haven't been kind to it.

I guess if I had to live there, I'd be surly too.

With that said, here's hoping they go to the Series. No offense, Fenway. :D:

And then lose to the Rockies.

sbsox
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
We were at a day game in Cleveland this summer and didn't have any trouble.

I have had Cleveland fans complain about Ozzies gesture about the Indians in 2005....

whitesoxwilkes
10-16-2007, 08:54 PM
I think it's more because Cleveland is a piece of **** town and the people who still live there are kind of a bitter bunch. :wink:

Nobody ever calls us the mistake by the lake. :)

Hendu
10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
(The Bulls-Cavs doesn't count, IMO; the Cavs were basically just a minor roadblock. Now, Bulls-Pistons, otoh...)

Tell that to Cavs fans. MJ ended their season twice with last-second heroics. Both times in Cleveland. That's gotta hurt.

MarySwiss
10-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Tell that to Cavs fans. MJ ended their season twice with last-second heroics. Both times in Cleveland. That's gotta hurt.

Well, Cavs fans can whine all they want, but I still think they were minor roadblocks.

No doubt it hurt, but-again IMO-they never seemed like much of a threat. Unlike the Pistons and Knicks.

So Fenway, was that you in that cameraman shot? The guy with the Sox cap?

rookie
10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Clearly that changes when their youth moves to Lincoln Park and starts emulating Cubs fans.

Yeah, I can't say that their fans are anything to appluad about, but I'm rooting for their team to win it all anyways. I wouldn't want to live in Cleveland. Denver's not so bad, I don't know if their baseball fan base really has much to be bitter about. The west is so different in temperment.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm not surprised with this. I hate Cleveland and its fans and hope that in the year I turn 91, I will see the Indians become the second major league team to go at least a century without winning a World Series.

:tongue:

Today in our pay envelopes we got a stuffer about saving for retirement -- make sure you put some pennies away in case you do make it to 2048!
Just think how many Sox seasons we'll have too reminisce over by then. :cool:

SouthSide2Ship
10-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Cleveland is the arm pit of America. As much as I live and die with sports, I can never see how someone would actually get into a fight over a sports team.

Nellie_Fox
10-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Clearly that changes when their youth moves to Lincoln Park and starts emulating Cubs fans.It's like the Amish tradition of Rumspringa, when the kids are teenagers they are given a year to go out and experience the outside world.

BainesHOF
10-17-2007, 03:44 AM
I've seen plenty of Sox "fans" act like complete asses to fans of opposing teams sitting in the bleachers at the Cell.

harwar
10-17-2007, 07:13 AM
I probably watch more indians games than anyone else here and i can tell you that never once did i make it through a White Sox - indians game when they didn't mention the Ozzie "choke sign" from 05.During the last trip to Cleveland the radio stations were encouraging fans to brings signs to the game and let Ozzie have it.They will never get over that.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-17-2007, 09:18 AM
I went to the Jake right after the All-Star break in '05, when we swept them four straight; and even wearing my authentic Sox jersey I didn't have much of a problem at either of the two games I attended.

Of course, Cleveland was in such disarray at the time that their fans wouldn't have had much to say in the way of trash talk.

I did remember the Cleveland stadium employees being unusually nice.

I guess fans generally have more to say when their team is actually winning (unless they are Philadelphia fans, who generally don't have a lot of nice things to say to opposing fans under any circumstances).

Soxfanspcu11
10-18-2007, 03:42 AM
The last time I sat near the bleachers at a Sox game (2005 I think it was), it reminded me of the stereotype Cubs bleachers. Underage drinking, cussing, yelling, not paying attention to the game, etc. There are plenty of idiots at any ballpark, especially drunk ones.

I have to take exception to your statement.

I have had full season tickets in the Bleachers (Section 163) since 1997, and the fans out there are some of the most intelligent fans I have EVER met.

I have had great conversations with many different people about not only the Sox, but baseball in general. I have had the opportunity to switch my season tickets to other locations in the park, but I never wanted to move. I LOVE my section and wouldn't want to sit anywhere else other than the Box seats.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. In our 10 years in those seats, we have seen our share of fights, sloppy drunks, idiot fratboys, slutty girls, ******* fans of the other team (especially scrub fans), etc.

However, those instances, which I guess would be called "negative" situations have been very few and far between. Most of the time, check that, nearly ALL of the time, I have been fortunate enough to sit around incredibly friendly people who know what they are talking about. I've had a blast out there!

Frontman
10-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Its this type of behavior that makes me long for them to loose the next three games.

Plus, coupled with the fact Cleveland hasn't won anything in decades; makes them a tad unruly bunch.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2007, 08:14 AM

I have had full season tickets in the Bleachers (Section 163) since 1997, and the fans out there are some of the most intelligent fans I have EVER met.

I have had great conversations with many different people about not only the Sox, but baseball in general. I have had the opportunity to switch my season tickets to other locations in the park, but I never wanted to move. I LOVE my section and wouldn't want to sit anywhere else other than the Box seats.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. In our 10 years in those seats, we have seen our share of fights, sloppy drunks, idiot fratboys, slutty girls, ******* fans of the other team (especially scrub fans), etc.

However, those instances, which I guess would be called "negative" situations have been very few and far between. Most of the time, check that, nearly ALL of the time, I have been fortunate enough to sit around incredibly friendly people who know what they are talking about. I've had a blast out there!

So much of this depends on who you are sitting next to. I'll play the roaming game from time-to-time and sometimes I am next to some winners and sometimes I am next to some losers. I would say that overall, the "quality" of fans in attendance has risen over the past several years. I remember fights-galore on Mondays and Tuesdays back in 2004 and for a good chunk of 2005. There just wasn't as many incidents in 2006 (that I saw anyway) and didn't seem like there were many in 2007. Sure, two-for-one Tuesdays are gone but even series like the Cubs seem a lot friendlier in the last couple years.

Fenway
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I have decided to wear a University of Michigan hat tonight :smile:

ilsox7
10-18-2007, 08:22 AM

That's great but it still does not change the fact of what happened the last time I sat out there. It was awful. And security was even worse. I was hugely disappointed.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I have decided to wear a University of Michigan hat tonight :smile:

What happened to my Packers hat suggestion?

SoxandtheCityTee
10-18-2007, 08:28 AM
We went to Cleveland for the last weekend of the season in 2005 and attended the Saturday game. Maybe the loss the evening before (when the Sox post-clinch subs beat them) had subdued the sell-out crowd a bit but everyone was pretty nice. As we were walking out one young guy said to us "Up and out" but his heart wasn't in it.

I thought the famous photo of Ozzie doing the choke sign was him joking about all the "choke" articles during the Sox late-season swoon.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Doesn't want to be thought of as a bandwagonner?:wink:

Fenway
10-18-2007, 08:48 AM

Who the heck in Cleveland cares about the Packers...it been like 40 years since they met in the playoffs :smile:

Frontman
10-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Who the heck in Cleveland cares about the Packers...it been like 40 years since they met in the playoffs :smile:

Even wearing a Walter Payton jersey wouldn't phase them. I don't think by and large that the city even remembers that they have a football team.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Packers gear should be worn by all people at all times.

:bandance:

Oblong
10-18-2007, 09:18 AM
When the obnoxious cleveland fans invaded Tiger Stadium in the mid 90s, I finally had enough and said 'Hey, at least we got an NFL team'.... then my buddy says "I don't know if I'd use that as an example". He was right. That only works in other NFL towns.

Soxfanspcu11
10-19-2007, 12:26 AM
That's great but it still does not change the fact of what happened the last time I sat out there. It was awful. And security was even worse. I was hugely disappointed.

I'm actually pretty surprised at that. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I do, it's just that White Sox Security is usually top-notch. And I'm not just saying that because it's the Sox.

I have been to sporting venues, concert venues, amphitheaters, etc. ALL OVER the country and world, and in my experiences, the Sox security has been the very best. They are always very quick to diffuse a situation and do the right thing.

DSpivack
10-19-2007, 12:48 AM
When the obnoxious cleveland fans invaded Tiger Stadium in the mid 90s, I finally had enough and said 'Hey, at least we got an NFL team'.... then my buddy says "I don't know if I'd use that as an example". He was right. That only works in other NFL towns.

Never was I more stunned with watching a team that I am a fan actually be good at something than last year's Bears. Well, maybe the Bears in 2001, since that season was much flukier. Having been born in 1984, I was too young to remember success in the 80s. The Bears I grew up with were not Ditka's Bears, but Wannstedt's. I thought Bears success was an oxymoron.

gaelhound
10-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Does it go back to Jordan and the Shot?

PKalltheway
10-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I've been to 2 Reds/Indians games here in Cincy, and I've never had a problem. I haven't heard one Indians fan talk **** about the Reds. But, after hearing all of this, I may not go to Cleveland to see a Indians/Sox game. I wonder why they're so contentious?

Hell, when me and some of my buddies went to Pittsburgh in August to see the Pirates, one of my friends decided to wear a Bengals jersey to the game, just to see if he could get a razz out of the Pittsburgh fans. Not one word from anyone. No dirty looks, no nothing. I can only imagine what the outcome would have been if he did the same thing in Cleveland...