PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly is meant by "Regular Championship Season Game"?

Soxfanspcu11
10-16-2007, 12:16 AM
So I'm sitting here, going over all my season ticket stuff from the 2007 season (ticket stubs, unused tickets, promotional handouts, newsletters, etc.) and I was reading some of the fine print on the tickets.

I have noticed this before and have been meaning to ask you guys, but kept forgetting! So, I shall ask it now!

In the fine print of the tickets, I see that it says the following;

"In the event a Cancelled Game is not so rescheduled, this coupon becomes a gift certificate that may be exchanged at any time in the future at the U.S. Cellular Field Box Office or by mail for an individual ticket of equal or lesser face value for a future regular championship season game".

What is a "Regular Championship Season Game"?:?:

Obviously, they are referring to a "Regular Season Game", at least I believe.

So, what is the point in saying, "Regular CHAMPIONSHIP Season Game"??? I mean, what on Earth does that mean?? Is that just "technical talk" or is there an actual reason for saying that?

Does that mean that the whole regular season is referred to as the "Championship Regular Season"? That doesn't really seem to make much sense to me.

Anybody know what this means? If so, care to clear it up for someone who is reading this and saying to himself, :?:.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2007, 12:19 AM
It's an old term, coined in the days before playoffs; probably before the advent of the World Series. The regular season determined the League Championship, thus the Championship Season.

Soxfanspcu11
10-16-2007, 01:13 AM
It's an old term, coined in the days before playoffs; probably before the advent of the World Series. The regular season determined the League Championship, thus the Championship Season.

OMG!!!

That makes PERFECT, 100% SENSE!!!

I don't know how I didn't make that connection!! I'm surprised that they still use it though. You would think that they would eliminate it now to avoid confusion.

Either way, :gulp:to you for clearing that up for me! YOU DA MAN!!!!!

TDog
10-16-2007, 01:25 AM
OMG!!!

That makes PERFECT, 100% SENSE!!!

I don't know how I didn't make that connection!! I'm surprised that they still use it though. You would think that they would eliminate it now to avoid confusion.

Either way, :gulp:to you for clearing that up for me! YOU DA MAN!!!!!

It has the effect of a legal term, embedded in the rule book to distinguish regular season games from exhibition games. You see it in legal disclaimers. You don't see journalists using it because there are terms easier to understand, just as you shouldn't see a newspaper report that someone illegally "uttered" a check (or "financial instrument").

dcb56
10-16-2007, 02:08 AM

John Rooney occasionally referred to the regular season as the championship season while he was in the Sox booth. What a shame they let him go...

Brian26
10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Check out the sig.