PDA

View Full Version : David Eckstein?

gogosox16
10-15-2007, 11:07 PM
I heard it somewhere that he was not going to re sign with the Cards or something and that the Sox are considered a front runner. Just wondering what you think of David Eckstein replacing Uribe and if we do pick up a center fielder he could be our lead off man.

getonbckthr
10-15-2007, 11:10 PM
What i've been hearing is Detroit is gonna go hard at him possibly pricing him out of our range.

gogosox16
10-15-2007, 11:12 PM
What i've been hearing is Detroit is gonna go hard at him possibly pricing him out of our range.
Oh that sucks. I really like him and I like his style of play...Why would Detroit want him they already have Carlos Guillen, unless if their thinking about having him play first and Eckstein short?

getonbckthr
10-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh that sucks. I really like him and I like his style of play...Why would Detroit want him they already have Carlos Guillen, unless if their thinking about having him play first and Eckstein short?
Exactly.

WhiteSox5187
10-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Eckstein defensively reminds me of Ozzie a lot, he doesn't have much of an arm but he makes the basic plays (which is something Uribe doesn't do). But I think Eckstein is not the long term solution to our problems at short. He might do for a year or two. There is also some question of his back holding up. He is certainly an improvement though.

gogosox16
10-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Eckstein defensively reminds me of Ozzie a lot, he doesn't have much of an arm but he makes the basic plays (which is something Uribe doesn't do). But I think Eckstein is not the long term solution to our problems at short. He might do for a year or two. There is also some question of his back holding up. He is certainly an improvement though.
Yeah thats fine cause that would give that 16 year old shortstop time to develop and their saying he could be ready in 3-5 years to play in the majors. i really hope that kid turns out to be something special.

areilly
10-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Pass. I don't want any more "grinders" or "heart" or "pluck" or whatever it is Eckstein has besides a bad back and a .286 career BA. This team is going to be bad for the length of whatever contract Eckstein would command, so I say spend the money on player development instead of buying up veterans.

munchman33
10-16-2007, 12:39 AM
This team is going to be bad for the length of whatever contract Eckstein would command, so I say spend the money on player development instead of buying up veterans.

Go Away.

gogosox16
10-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Pass. I don't want any more "grinders" or "heart" or "pluck" or whatever it is Eckstein has besides a bad back and a .286 career BA. This team is going to be bad for the length of whatever contract Eckstein would command, so I say spend the money on player development instead of buying up veterans.
Why dont you go join Bartman in Florida and watch the Marlins do that for the next 5 years while we try to win it now.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2007, 01:45 AM
Why dont you go join Bartman in Florida and watch the Marlins do that for the next 5 years while we try to win it now.Consider this your one and only warning about making your posts personal. Argue with the other posters point, but don't attack the poster.

KRS1
10-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah thats fine cause that would give that 16 year old shortstop time to develop and their saying he could be ready in 3-5 years to play in the majors. i really hope that kid turns out to be something special.

Who's "they", and where did you hear/read this?

areilly
10-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Go Away.

Say Eckstein commands a 3 year deal. Do you honestly believe the Sox are close enough to contention right now where committing to Eckstein would be justified? I'm not asking that to be patronizing, I just want to know why you're so quick to attack my stance.

dcb56
10-16-2007, 03:12 AM

**** that, there's absolutely no reason a Detroit team should be pricing a Chicago team out of the market.

Grzegorz
10-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Find out what it would take to swing a deal for Bill Hall.

Mohoney
10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Find out what it would take to swing a deal for Bill Hall.
Unfortunately, I would imagine it would take relief pitching, which is something that is not exactly in surplus here.

rdwj
10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, I would imagine it would take relief pitching, which is something that is not exactly in surplus here.

Oh, we have a surplus! Unfortunately, it's a suprlus of REALLY BAD relief pitchers

Lukin13
10-16-2007, 09:43 AM
how is Hall defensively at short?

Oblong
10-16-2007, 09:46 AM

This is the first I've heard of the Tigers going after Eckstein. Not that I'm a final authority or anything but "I get around".

Tigers are looking for offense from their SS. If they wanted Eckstein they'd just play Ramon Santiago there, who's very good defensively but not very good offensively.

Names being tossed around are Renteria, Jack Wilson, Vizquel, and Itsuriz.

rdwj
10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
how is Hall defensively at short?

Not great - that's why he's playing outfield now - where he's not great either. I'd say he's a downgrade from Uribe.

The Immigrant
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM

That's about the best thing that could happen to the White Sox.

FedEx227
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
That's about the best thing that could happen to the White Sox.

Indeed. Not really interested in Eckstein. Be nice to FINALLY get some speed on this team, but hey I guess slap hitting grinders is all we can hope for. :(:

Fenway
10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I wanted to shoot Dan Duquette when he put Eckstein on waivers so he could protect this piece of garbarge

Izzy Alcantara

http://espn.go.com/media/mlb/2001/0705/photo/0705pax.jpg
http://espn.go.com/i/m.gif Pawtucket's Izzy Alcantara kicks catcher Jeremy Salazar, which starts a bench-clearing brawl (Courtesy: WJAR-Providence).

fquaye149
10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Eckstein as a utility player? Wonderful
Eckstein as a starting SS? Offensive upgrape over Uribe, major defensive downgrade. Pass...especially at the AT LEAST 7 million a year he's likely to command.

thedudeabides
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
This is the first I've heard of the Tigers going after Eckstein. Not that I'm a final authority or anything but "I get around".

Tigers are looking for offense from their SS. If they wanted Eckstein they'd just play Ramon Santiago there, who's very good defensively but not very good offensively.

Names being tossed around are Renteria, Jack Wilson, Vizquel, and Itsuriz.

If they're looking for offense Eckstein is better than Wilson, Vizquel, and Izturis.

Oblong
10-16-2007, 12:31 PM
If they're looking for offense Eckstein is better than Wilson, Vizquel, and Izturis.

Agreed except for Wilson. But I don't like his contract. Those names were mentioned by Carlos Guillen in an article about him agreeing to move to 1B. The team came close to gettin Wilson at the deadline but Pittsburgh backed out at the last minute. My point was that I've read nothing indicating that they're going to go afte Eckstein at all, let alone "hard".

Lip Man 1
10-16-2007, 12:36 PM
This week in the print edition of The Sporting News, writer Stan McNeil was talking about players who could be available and so forth (pgs. 52-53) and he has the following White Sox 'possibilities':

Josh Barfield - "The Padres, White Sox, Mets and Twins are among the teams that will be looking for a second baseman."

Edgar Renteria - "Because the Cardinals may lose free agent David Eckstein to the White Sox, a return to St. Louis would be welcomed."

Jon Garland - "Because of a lack of quality starters on the free agent market, G.M. Kenny Williams could be looking to cash in on Garland. Any mid to large revenue club looking for a quality starter will listen to an offer."

Lip

santo=dorf
10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I think we all need to pose as Cardinal fans and write to their new GM demanding they re-sign Eckstein due to how hard he plays, and how their is no replacement in the system for him.

Did we learn nothing from signing old Angels castoffs? (Although at this point Eckstein is a better hitter than Erstad.)

Foulke You
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Has Eckstein ever logged any time at 2B in his career? His arm seems better suited for that position than SS. It would be an immediate upgrade over the developing Richar and is more of a "win now" move. Although, 2B Luis Castillo could come at a cheaper price than Eckstein if the Sox wanted to upgrade there.

thedudeabides
10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Agreed except for Wilson. But I don't like his contract. Those names were mentioned by Carlos Guillen in an article about him agreeing to move to 1B. The team came close to gettin Wilson at the deadline but Pittsburgh backed out at the last minute. My point was that I've read nothing indicating that they're going to go afte Eckstein at all, let alone "hard".

I do remember the Tigers going after Wilson. I figured the Tigers would be focusing more on defense anyways at SS. Isn't that why they are moving Guillen to begin with?

eriqjaffe
10-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Has Eckstein ever logged any time at 2B in his career?3 errors in 14 games during 2001.

Oblong
10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I do remember the Tigers going after Wilson. I figured the Tigers would be focusing more on defense anyways at SS. Isn't that why they are moving Guillen to begin with?

Part of it is his defense and part of it is health. He was brutal there in the first half, cost the team a couple of wins with misplays. What I don't get is if defense is what they want then Ramon Santiago is already on the roster and he'd be a gold glove candidate (if gold gloves really measured best defense) . I do not really like the idea of the guys mentioned. Renteria would a cost propsect. Wilson could be had for not much if the team assumes his contract.

guillen4life13
10-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I tend to actually agree with areilly for the most part, though to a much lesser degree. This team is not going to be contending in 2008 and 2009 might also be a stretch. I'd rather see the Sox get a guy like Luis Castillo at 2B with a two year deal with an option on the third. He's a reasonable SB threat and would work well out of the 2 spot (or even leading off on occasion if needed). With the style of baseball the Sox claim they want to move towards, Castillo would fit perfectly. If they use him right, he should easily steal 25 bases There's also the Marlins connection with Ozzie. The team could also use a good switch hitter.

Of course, that doesn't solve anything at SS and would only happen if the Sox decide that Richar is not ready yet or isn't the real deal.

At SS, as I've said in that Merkin '08 thread in the clubhouse, I'd also like the Sox to sign Vizquel to a 1 year deal with an option for '09 to play SS. He's only one year removed from posting a .295 avg with 24 SB's, and you can always expect his stellar defense even at his age. If the Sox get Vizquel, then I would advocate for Richar or another young 2B prospect to play alongside him. Vizquel would be an exceptional tutor/mentor for any young MIF defensively, and teach good offensive fundamentals (baserunning, bunting, sacs, etc) and can still contribute at a reasonable level offensively. If you talk about players who "play the game the right way," Vizquel is the prototype of that mold and can help mold the younger players similarly. This wouldn't be a repeat of the Robby Alomar acquisitions we saw a few years ago.

In short, given the Sox current situation, I'd much rather land Vizquel than Eckstein, but if Vizquel doesn't happen and it's decided that Richar isn't the goods, then go get Luis Castillo.

nccwsfan
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Josh Barfield - "The Padres, White Sox, Mets and Twins are among the teams that will be looking for a second baseman."

Lip

With all of the other issues the White Sox need to address, I really don't see them making a change at 2B. He handled the position well for a rookie and he's an inexpensive option.

Richar is our guy.

Tragg
10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I really hope that the Sox use their resources to bring some legitimate talent into the team.

Eckstein isn't much of an upgrade over Uribe, if he's an upgrade at all.

The 33 year old journeyman approach netted a big 72 in 07.
Pass.
I'd rather see the Sox get a guy like Luis Castillo at 2B with a two year deal with an option on the third. He's a reasonable SB threat and would work well out of the 2 spot (or even leading off on occasion if needed).
We don't need a 2B. We need a SS.
Richar showed promise. He could work a bat, and had some power in the 17-20 homer range. He was mired in the 8 or 9 hole all year, with Uribe protection and zero support. Ozzie could have hit him 2nd and Fields 5th, if they really wanted to let the rookies show all they had (Richar batting 2nd made as much sense as Owens unabated leading off for 2 months). \

Lip Man 1
10-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't care if Richar hits two home runs...his job is to get on base, bunt, move guys over, steal bases.

That's what the Sox need and I hope he delivers.

The very last thing this club needs is another 20 home run, .240 hitter who couldn't execute a fundamental if a gun was at his head.

Lip