PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-16

Lip Man 1
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
October 16, 1952 - The Sox send infielder Willie Miranda to the St. Louis Browns in trade. So what? Well consider this.. it marks the third time in four months that he was dealt between the two clubs! Miranda was traded to the Browns on June 15th, thirteen days later the Sox re-acquired him and finally on this date they sent him back.

October 16, 2005 - The White Sox win their 6th league championship beating the Angels 6 - 3. Jose Contreras fired the fourth consecutive complete game by the staff. The four consecutive post season complete games hadn’t been seen in MLB since the 1956 Yankees pulled it off. After losing the first game of the A.L.C.S. the Sox sweep away Los Angeles. Paul Konerko is named the A.L.C.S. MVP. The city of Chicago, especially on the South Side and in the South suburbs go wild as the ‘nightmare scenario’ happens for Cub fans.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a7/55/281f_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSE-CONTRERAS-2007-TOPPS-HERITAGE-100-WHITE-SOX_W0QQitemZ320131928618QQihZ011QQcategoryZ149905 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting)

Lip

WhiteSox5187
10-15-2007, 01:56 PM
October 16, 2005 - The White Sox win their 6th league championship beating the Angels 6 - 3. Jose Contreras fired the fourth consecutive complete game by the staff. The four consecutive post season complete games hadn’t been seen in MLB since the 1956 Yankees pulled it off. After losing the first game of the A.L.C.S. the Sox sweep away Los Angeles. Paul Konerko is named the A.L.C.S. MVP. The city of Chicago, especially on the South Side and in the South suburbs go wild as the ‘nightmare scenario’ happens for Cub fans.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a7/55/281f_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSE-CONTRERAS-2007-TOPPS-HERITAGE-100-WHITE-SOX_W0QQitemZ320131928618QQihZ011QQcategoryZ149905 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting)

Lip
I was at school in New York when this happened and the people I shared my dorm with weren't baseball fans, so when they won I started shouting and jumping up and down (I jumped from the couch over the coffee table which was pretty good leap) and all of my roommates came rushing thinking I was dying or something wondering what the hell was going on...I immediately called my dad and said "How 'bout that?" to which he replied "Yea, the Bears looked good out there today." Typical of my dad, never to show any emotion even though he is probably the biggest and smartest Sox fan I know.

October26
10-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I remember how great it felt to be able to say that the White Sox, my White Sox were American League Champions. I was not alive in 1959, so I did not witness that championship. I was so happy. I hugged my dad first (a knowledgeable baseball man and the person who taught me to love the White Sox) and everybody in my family and then we packed the car with all of our kids (mine and my sisters) and went parading down around US Cellular Field. I dream of the day when we can do this again.

Britt Burns
10-15-2007, 02:31 PM
October 16, 1952 - The Sox send infielder Willie Miranda to the St. Louis Browns in trade. So what? Well consider this.. it marks the third time in four months that he was dealt between the two clubs! Miranda was traded to the Browns on June 15th, thirteen days later the Sox re-acquired him and finally on this date they sent him back.

Lip

Reading this made me think of KW's prediliction for transactions involving Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar. There has to be a joke in there somewhere, but I can't think of one right off hand.

Railsplitter
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM

Lip
Did railroads have frequent rider points back then?

pdr
10-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Though the trip between St. Louis and Chicago could simply be considered a long commute, Willie Miranda disputed whether he could indeed be traded that often in such a short period of time. Ultimately, the courts agreed, and from then on the ability of players to dictate how long they could stay with a given team before being traded came to be known as the Miranda Rights.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/willie_miranda_autograph.jpg

ode to veeck
10-16-2007, 06:43 PM
October 16, 2005 - The White Sox win their 6th league championship beating the Angels 6 - 3. Jose Contreras fired the fourth consecutive complete game by the staff. The four consecutive post season complete games hadn’t been seen in MLB since the 1956 Yankees pulled it off.
Lip

I think it was the 1st time since the 1920s that a playoff team had 4 complete game victories in a row. In the '56 WS, Turley lost the Yankees 4th complete game in a row, one to nothing, and Kucks pitched a 5th complete game in a row in game 7 to seal the victory over the crosstown Dodgers.

ode to veeck
10-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Though the trip between St. Louis and Chicago could simply be considered a long commute, Willie Miranda disputed whether he could indeed be traded that often in such a short period of time. Ultimately, the courts agreed, and from then on the ability of players to dictate how long they could stay with a given team before being traded came to be known as the Miranda Rights.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/willie_miranda_autograph.jpg

LOL though the post shold have been in teal :redneck

chisoxmike
10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Some WSIers including myself were lucky enough to be featured on the Sun-Times cover the next morning...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60166

Hitmen77
10-16-2007, 09:11 PM

White Sox win the pennant for the first time in my life! One of the greatest moments in team history. :gulp:

SoxandtheCityTee
10-16-2007, 11:56 PM

"You have the right to be represented by an agent. If you cannot afford an agent, one will be appointed to represent you . . .

Phil Bradley
10-20-2007, 02:55 AM
White Sox win the pennant for the first time in my life! One of the greatest moments in team history. :gulp:

The other day, this moment, along with "THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE" were played on Mac, Jurko, and Harry at the tail end of the show for the almanac. I laughed at Denny Green and then when they played Rooney's call, I broke out in this goofy grin that I couldn't have prevented if I wanted to. One of the better moments. In fact, I'm gonna pop in the Game 5 dvd right now.

Go Hoosiers!