PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Sox roadtrip suggestions

soxgirl617
10-13-2007, 05:28 PM
In order to get through the long days until the Sox open the 2008 season, my friends and I are planning another road trip to see the Sox play next year. We are aiming for the May 16-18 series in San Francisco, with perhaps a short stop in Anaheim for the May 15 game. Has anyone been to AT&T Park for a game? Any tips, hotel suggestions, etc.? I'd like to stay within walking distance from the park, if possible. Any suggestions appreciated.

DSpivack
10-13-2007, 05:47 PM
AT&T Park is as amazing as the hype is. If you go, pack warm. The winds off the bay can create quite a chilly night. San Francisco is a great, but expensive, city. Not sure about hotels in walking distance (the neighborhood, China Basin, is only recently developed), but there is a light rail line that runs right in front of the ballpark down the embarcadero (the street that runs along the waterfront). As far as tips at the game...Garlic Fries!

I assume you'd by flying from Anaheim to SF? That's a long, mostly boring (if you take I-5, the fastest way up) route. If you have some time, California Route 1 along the coast might be the most beautiful drive in the country.

Professor Snape
10-13-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm going to do whatever it takes to get to SF!

Frater Perdurabo
10-13-2007, 07:27 PM
If you are moderately active and uninjured, you should be able to walk to AT&T Park from either the Fisherman's Wharf area (along the previously mentioned Embarcadero), or from Union Square, which is in the middle of downtown. It's a long but enjoyable walk, with plenty to see along the way. If not, both locations are just a few stops away from the park on either the F line or the Muni Metro light rail train. Both areas have lots of hotels. My wife and I stayed near Union Square for four nights last summer and we went to a Giants game. Union Square has lots of high end shopping and art galleries. Fisherman's Wharf has plenty of "touristy" things to do and a ton of restaurants. The ferries to various points of interest (such as Alcatraz) depart from piers along the Embarcadero, too. Yes, do pack warm and plan to spend a lot of money.

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I've heard that there are no hotels near the park in SF.

drewcifer
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
If you are moderately active and uninjured, you should be able to walk to AT&T Park from either the Fisherman's Wharf area (along the previously mentioned Embarcadero), or from Union Square, which is in the middle of downtown. It's a long but enjoyable walk, with plenty to see along the way. If not, both locations are just a few stops away from the park on either the F line or the Muni Metro light rail train. Both areas have lots of hotels. My wife and I stayed near Union Square for four nights last summer and we went to a Giants game. Union Square has lots of high end shopping and art galleries. Fisherman's Wharf has plenty of "touristy" things to do and a ton of restaurants. The ferries to various points of interest (such as Alcatraz) depart from piers along the Embarcadero, too. Yes, do pack warm and plan to spend a lot of money.

Please do not listen to this post at all. It's totally wrong. I lived on Taylor which is in North Beach. Just getting from there to the Wharf was a hike when it came time to head back home.

The Wharf and Union Square and/or the Park and each are nowhere near walking distance of each other. At all.

The only "square" near Fisherman's wharf that you can walk to is Ghiradelli square. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? :dunno:

Frater Perdurabo
10-14-2007, 06:56 AM
The only "square" near Fisherman's wharf that you can walk to is Ghiradelli square. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? :dunno:

EDIT: Comedian Steven Wright once quipped: "Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

This past summer, my wife and I walked east along Geary from Taylor (our hotel was at Geary and Taylor, just west of Union Square) to Market Street, then northeast along Market to the Embarcadero, and then north along the Embarcadero up to the Pier from which the Alcatraz Ferry boards (Pier 31?). (We had planned to ride the F-line streetcar, but they were not stopping to board new passengers because they all were completely full.)

After riding the ferry and doing the Alcatraz audio tour (which included the walk up the hill from the dock to the actual cell block) and then riding the ferry back, we walked from the pier up to Fisherman's Wharf for a late lunch/early dinner. Then we took the Powell/Hyde cable car back to Union Square. I agree that due to the hills, there's no way we could have walked directly across the city "as the crow flies," but according to Google Maps, our one-way route was about 3.5 miles. Using Market Street and the Embarcadero to get from Taylor & Geary to AT&T Park is about 2.5 miles.

Neither route is a leisurely stroll, but because neither route had steep slopes, I (non-athletic 31 year-old male) did OK. Whether it's doable for an individual person depends on his or her age and physical condition.

Cellview22
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm already planning a mini vacation for the May 16 weekend series in SF. I've never been to the Bay area, but I did quite a bit of research over the weekend, and the more I plan, the more excited I'm getting!

I recently signed up for the Marriott Rewards Card and received an e-certificate for a free night stay at any Marriott category 1-4. I'm planning on using this for that weekend, but upon further research, I see that all the Marriott properties downtown are category 5.

So at this point, I'm looking at staying in Oakland at the 4-star Marriott Oakland City Center (google "tripadvisor Marriott Oakland City Center") and taking BART to the games. There's a Bart station right across the street from the hotel, it's 11 minutes (under water across the Bay) to Embarcadero Station where you transfer to a street train that takes you directly to the ballpark (another 7 minutes). It would be cool to stay downtown San Francisco, but if Bart is right across the street and I can take that everywhere, this doesn't seem like a bad idea.

CAn anyone from the Bay area, or anyone who's been to this hotel, give some insight on whether this seems to be a good idea? Thanks!

ChiSoxFan35
10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
I wanted to do Seattle in May, but it would've been helpful for me if it had been a few weeks later. I may look into NY since I've never been to YS, but I know it'll be hard to arrange

Mr.1Dog
10-22-2007, 01:29 PM
AT&T is awesome. If you're looking for a good time before and after, check out the North Beach area. Don't quote me on the name of that. But it's a younger area with a ton of bars. The area around the stadium is developing fast. I haven't been in 2-3 years so it has probably changed dramatically. Try to stay outside of the city and rock the Bay Area Rapid Transit aka the BART. This should save you $ on cabs. Try the awesome sea food around fishermans wharf. It's top notch.

nysox35
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I wanted to do Seattle in May, but it would've been helpful for me if it had been a few weeks later. I may look into NY since I've never been to YS, but I know it'll be hard to arrange

I'm biased of course, but you should get out here as it'll be the last year at the current Yankee Stadium. There are all kinds of options as far as where to stay here and getting to the stadium is easy via subway (B & D lines on West Side, 4 train on the east).

10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I've heard that there are no hotels near the park in SF.

That is accurate! If you stay in the Wharf area you can walk (very long but nice walk) or take the steet car line that runs along the Embarcadero.

If you stay anywhere else in the city you also can reach the park very easily on public transportation.

SF has the best public trans system around.

10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
If you're looking for a good time before and after, check out the North Beach area. Don't quote me on the name of that. But it's a younger area with a ton of bars. The area around the stadium is developing fast. I haven't been in 2-3 years so it has probably changed dramatically.

North Beach is nice to go out or stay at. Stick around Columbus and hit some Italian restaurants along that street and later check out the night scene around that neighborhood.

The Wharf area is mostly just a tourist trap boardwalk but it still is something to see. Find the seals!

10-22-2007, 02:55 PM
After riding the ferry and doing the Alcatraz audio tour (which included the walk up the hill from the dock to the actual cell block) and then riding the ferry back, we walked from the pier up to Fisherman's Wharf for a late lunch/early dinner. Then we took the Powell/Hyde cable car back to Union Square. I agree that due to the hills, there's no way we could have walked directly across the city "as the crow flies," but according to Google Maps, our one-way route was about 3.5 miles. Using Market Street and the Embarcadero to get from Taylor & Geary to AT&T Park is about 2.5 miles.

Neither route is a leisurely stroll, but because neither route had steep slopes, I (non-athletic 31 year-old male) did OK. Whether it's doable for an individual person depends on his or her age and physical condition.

You can actually stay in Sausalito or Tiburon in the north bay and right on wine country and take a ferry directly to AT&T park (but the schedule is limited). Quite an experience if you don't want to stay downtown or check out Sonoma or Napa.

D. TODD
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm biased of course, but you should get out here as it'll be the last year at the current Yankee Stadium. There are all kinds of options as far as where to stay here and getting to the stadium is easy via subway (B & D lines on West Side, 4 train on the east). I was happy that I got to see Yankee stadium for all of it's history, but I was very unimpressed with the stadium itself. The new stadium is sorely needed. The subway did make it very easy to get to though.

Hitmenof77
10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Cheaper hotel rates in the South Bay area, San Jose, Mt View etc. The Cal train goes right to the park for about $10 RT.

Also remember parking is expensive in SF. Hotels get about $30 a day for parking.

DSpivack
10-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Cheaper hotel rates in the South Bay area, San Jose, Mt View etc. The Cal train goes right to the park for about $10 RT.

Also remember parking is expensive in SF. Hotels get about $30 a day for parking.

The couple times I was there with my dad we stayed near the SF airport (much closer than the South Bay) relatively cheaply, parked at BART and took the train in (transferring from BART to MUNI to get right outside the park).

Hitmenof77
10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
The couple times I was there with my dad we stayed near the SF airport (much closer than the South Bay) relatively cheaply, parked at BART and took the train in (transferring from BART to MUNI to get right outside the park).

Another good suggestion but there is nothing to do around the SF airport. Where as there are many things to do around San Jose. And I think as a general rule hotels are cheaper in SJ than by the SF airport.

chisoxfanatic
10-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Kauffman Stadium's a must check out! It's a beautiful ballpark, the fans are awesome, and you basically get free transportation if you take the Royal Express from downtown (it costs $5, but they give you a voucher for $5 off your game ticket). It's worth a weekend stay, and The Plaza will keep you occupied for the rest of your trip.

soxgirl617
10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I can't wait to go to SF! (We are also contemplating a trip to KC for the August 1-3 weekend series.)

jabrch
10-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Go to Cleveland.

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

jenn2080
10-23-2007, 03:01 PM
AT&T is awesome. If you're looking for a good time before and after, check out the North Beach area. Don't quote me on the name of that. But it's a younger area with a ton of bars. The area around the stadium is developing fast. I haven't been in 2-3 years so it has probably changed dramatically. Try to stay outside of the city and rock the Bay Area Rapid Transit aka the BART. This should save you $ on cabs. Try the awesome sea food around fishermans wharf. It's top notch.

I actually feel the opposite. I thought the North Beach area was horrible. We went there for a drink and got in a cab and went back to the hotel. It is a club scene which I am not interested in.

chisoxmike
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Kauffman Stadium's a must check out! It's a beautiful ballpark, the fans are awesome, and you basically get free transportation if you take the Royal Express from downtown (it costs $5, but they give you a voucher for $5 off your game ticket). It's worth a weekend stay, and The Plaza will keep you occupied for the rest of your trip.

Sure, KC is cheep and all, but also factor in that your in Kansas City and by the time a game is over, probably 10 or 10:30, the city has been shut down for about an hour.

Lame.

jenn2080
10-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Sure, KC is cheep and all, but also factor in that your in Kansas City and by the time a game is over, probably 10 or 10:30, the city has been shut down for about an hour.

Lame.

Drink behind the Walmart or the Adult Bookstore. The night never ends.

Foulke You
10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
After doing a Pittsburgh trip last year to see the Sox, Mrs Foulke You and I will be doing our semi-annual trip to Boston in August to see the Right Sox play the Wrong Sox at Fenway. I always have a good time in Beantown and enjoy the ballpark as well.

WagMan
10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Speaking of Boston, which roadtrip ballparks are the hardest to get tickets for? I'm assuming for places like Fenway, it'd be hard to get tix the day they go on sale and I'd be pretty much stuck having to hit Stub Hub or find a scalper.

The one place I really want to see is Yankee Stadium and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be tough getting tix there because of its last year and all. Any suggestions?

AZChiSoxFan
10-24-2007, 10:10 AM
AT&T Park is as amazing as the hype is. If you go, pack warm. The winds off the bay can create quite a chilly night. San Francisco is a great, but expensive, city. Not sure about hotels in walking distance (the neighborhood, China Basin, is only recently developed), but there is a light rail line that runs right in front of the ballpark down the embarcadero (the street that runs along the waterfront). As far as tips at the game...Garlic Fries!

Yeah, what he said. Dead on DSpivack, on all accounts. I can't emphasize enough the part about packing warm. Bring a coat, or else you will be dropping $149.95 for a Giants coat.

AZChiSoxFan
10-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Speaking of Boston, which roadtrip ballparks are the hardest to get tickets for? I'm assuming for places like Fenway, it'd be hard to get tix the day they go on sale and I'd be pretty much stuck having to hit Stub Hub or find a scalper.

The one place I really want to see is Yankee Stadium and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be tough getting tix there because of its last year and all. Any suggestions?

AT&T park is nowhere near as hard to get tix to, compared to Fenway. However, compared to just about any other park, it can be challenging for some games. Given the fact that the Sox are there on a weekend, if I was planning to go to those games, I would try and get them as soon as they go on sale.

Law11
10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I plan on a Baltimore trip. Never been there. Aught to be a good time from what I hear.

nccwsfan
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm biased of course, but you should get out here as it'll be the last year at the current Yankee Stadium. There are all kinds of options as far as where to stay here and getting to the stadium is easy via subway (B & D lines on West Side, 4 train on the east).

I will be there in September for 2 games next year! Already looking forward to it (and yes it does look easy to get around).

Foulke You
10-24-2007, 02:20 PM

With Fenway Park, you have to find out the day Red Sox tix go on sale and then stare at the virtual waiting room on tickets.com with everyone else. If you don't get through on tickets.com, you are stuck buying from stubhub, ebay, or a ticket scalper. Red Sox tickets sell out most of the season on the first day. However, I think they make a very limited amount of "day of game" tickets available but they are few and people line up early for them.

SOX LA Mikey
10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Living In LA , my road trips consist of Sox Home games in Chi.

Meanwhile, I'm psyched about this year's Road schedule!
four games at the Angels of Anaheim, followed by a weekend
against the Barry-less Giants. Then in June between Cubbie series
they're here, a mere 5 miles down Sunset Blvd. playing Los Dodgers.
I plan on attending Most of those games.... see ya there
:supernana:
not to mention two weekend opportunities to visit my brother in Tampa

whitesoxwilkes
10-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I plan on a Baltimore trip. Never been there. Aught to be a good time from what I hear.

Baltimore has been a must on my schedule for 4 years in a row.

I think we'll be out for the second series this year.

TDog
10-25-2007, 01:41 AM

So at this point, I'm looking at staying in Oakland at the 4-star Marriott Oakland City Center (google "tripadvisor Marriott Oakland City Center") and taking BART to the games. There's a Bart station right across the street from the hotel, it's 11 minutes (under water across the Bay) to Embarcadero Station where you transfer to a street train that takes you directly to the ballpark (another 7 minutes). It would be cool to stay downtown San Francisco, but if Bart is right across the street and I can take that everywhere, this doesn't seem like a bad idea. ...

That sounds like an excellent plan. I went to my first game in San Francisco on the last Giants home Sunday this year. When I go to the Bay Area, I like to drive an hour to the Dublin/Pleasanton, leave my car at the BART station. I don't want to deal with driving in San Francisco. (Perhaps living on a virtual island in Alaska for three years enhanced my aversion to traffic, but I could deal with Chicago.) In September I parked next to a couple with a man older than me, wearing a Giants cap and a holding a baseball glove. At the Embarcadero station they had people selling Muni tickets the Giants game.

I love San Francisco. The problem with the BART, though, is that it isn't a city mass transit system the way the London Underground or Paris Metro is. It can get you from Berkley or Oakland (with a stop at the Coliseum) into the city, but it won't really take you around the city. You have to connect with the Muni for that.

When I was in the city for the air show a few weeks ago, the crowds were so overwhelming that the Muni buses were running a couple of hours behind. Traffic congestion pretty much shut them down. The trams were too crowded to stop. I had to take a cab to the BART station to get home. Had I driven, it would have taken me hours to get across the Bay Bridge.

When I lived in Southwestern Arizona, from the early 1980s until 1999, I did an annual roadtrip to Anaheim. Mass transit in Anaheim is limited, so, unfortunately, you probably need a car. I used to stay at the Angel Inn, an inexpensive motel, and walk across the street for the game. I have heard the Angel Inn no longer exists.

HITMEN OF 77
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Seattle is a great place to go. Nice ball park, plenty of places to eat, bars and hotels close to Safeco Field and the best part, you could meet me :D:. The Experience Music Museum is a pretty cool thing to check out if you have time. Pike Street Market is also pretty interesting. Oh and there's even a Starbucks downtown....

IlliniSox4Life
10-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I was happy that I got to see Yankee stadium for all of it's history, but I was very unimpressed with the stadium itself. The new stadium is sorely needed. The subway did make it very easy to get to though.

I would agree with your assesment on Yankee stadium being a dump, but I would still recommend it to any baseball buff as a destination this year if they have not been. Although it isn't the oldest stadium, it arguably holds more history than any other baseball stadium in history. It's the friggin house that Ruth built. I am very glad I was able to see it a couple of years ago.

For Yankee Stadium, I would actually check stubhub. The place has a high enough supply that you can get pretty cheap tickets sometimes if you look far enough ahead, buy close enough to gametime, or use a discount code when they are available. I went to the Cubs-Yankees series a few years ago. My friend managed to lose the tickets we bought in advance (I think they were like $25 a piece) on stubhub. So it was about 5 days before the game and he looked on ebay or stubhub and managed to buy replacement tickets for about $5 each. They were in the outfield bleachers, which isn't the best seating for numerous reasons, but it was in the building.

With Fenway Park, you have to find out the day Red Sox tix go on sale and then stare at the virtual waiting room on tickets.com with everyone else. If you don't get through on tickets.com, you are stuck buying from stubhub, ebay, or a ticket scalper. Red Sox tickets sell out most of the season on the first day. However, I think they make a very limited amount of "day of game" tickets available but they are few and people line up early for them.
I went to Boston for about a week to visit my sister. I hadn't planned on going to Fenway because all the tickets I found online were pretty expensive for a broke college student (in the $75+ range online). We were out exploring the city one day though and happened to wander pretty close to Fenway shortly before the game. We decided to walk the extra few blocks to see if they had any tickets, and if they didn't we would go to Jillian's. Low and behold, they were selling standing room tickets for $19 I think (might have been a few more, but that number seems to stick out at me). The only thing is that once you bought the ticket you had to immediately enter the park. This was fine for us, so we walked in. The standing room wasn't great (it never is), but we at least got to see Fenway for a reasonable price.