PDA

View Full Version : Quirky 2008 Cubs Schedule

Brian26
10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Levine is talking about this right now. The Cubs have a rather quirky schedule set up for '08:

Cubs 2008 schedule (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/schedule/tentative.jsp?c_id=chc&year=2008)

Of their 81 homes games, 33 will be played in April and May, including 16 in April and an opening day of March 31.

In comparison, the Cubs will only play 20 home games total in June and July (10 games in June and 10 games in July).

They will play a record 19 home games in August, with nine on the road.

I haven't checked this, but Bruce claims the Sox and Cubs will have home games on the same day twelve times next year.

SoxSpeed22
10-13-2007, 03:25 PM
This isn't an original promotion schedule is it?

DSpivack
10-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Levine is talking about this right now. The Cubs have a rather quirky schedule set up for '08:

Cubs 2008 schedule (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/schedule/tentative.jsp?c_id=chc&year=2008)

Of their 81 homes games, 33 will be played in April and May, including 16 in April and an opening day of March 31.

In comparison, the Cubs will only play 20 home games total in June and July (10 games in June and 10 games in July).

I haven't checked this, but Bruce claims the Sox and Cubs will have home games on the same day twelve times next year.

That is odd. I only remember the Cubs and Sox having home games one the same day once or twice a season. With these schedules, however, they have two alone in April: the 15th and 22nd. Then again they're both home August 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24.

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Well, my first reaction is "Bruce being Bruce" except unlike trade and FA signing rumors, I presume he is looking at the actual paper. We have 24 home games in April and May (15 in April). When I saw our schedule last month I thought Bud was doing the Cubs a favor by having them on the road for most April, but I see I was wrong.

MLB has really gotten stuck on the idea of opening and closing the season against Division foes. It would be more exciting if you did not play anyone in your division until June and then spend September playing only division foes. This would allow a team with a slow start to have some seriously meaningful games in June because of the wide swings in the standings which will have to take place then.

I'll have to add this to my reasons why Bud needs to be fired and a real Commish with a brain needs to be hired.

DSpivack
10-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Well, my first reaction is "Bruce being Bruce" except unlike trade and FA signing rumors, I presume he is looking at the actual paper. We have 24 home games in April and May (15 in April). When I saw our schedule last month I thought Bud was doing the Cubs a favor by having them on the road for most April, but I see I was wrong.

MLB has really gotten stuck on the idea of opening and closing the season against Division foes. It would be more exciting if you did not play anyone in your division until June and then spend September playing only division foes. This would allow a team with a slow start to have some seriously meaningful games in June because of the wide swings in the standings which will have to take place then.

I'll have to add this to my reasons why Bud needs to be fired and a real Commish with a brain needs to be hired.

Except I would think divisional games draw the best, no? So a midweek April home game versus a divisional foe is likelier to draw better than one against a non-divisional foe. It all comes down to $$$.

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Except I would think divisional games draw the best, no? So a midweek April home game versus a divisional foe is likelier to draw better than one against a non-divisional foe. It all comes down to $$$.
I think you're right a little bit. I don't hear too many fans getting excited about playing the Twins or Tribe, etc., in April because the division race is just not something to get excited about yet. In June after a third of the season is under your belt, then you can start to call a game a Big Game which can set the tone for the remainder of the season.

While a stong April is important to setting the tone for the season, it is not as important as a strong June-September push. Look at the Cubs this year. They were a living joke in April and May and then turned it on in June to win 85 games. If they have played April and May like they did the rest of the way, they could have had 93 or so wins. Another example: the 2006 Twins. They pulled the White Sheet over them in May. Then they won the Division. How about the 2007 Yankees? They could not beat their grandmas in April and May. They ended up with 94 wins and the Wild Card by a comfortable margin.

Intra-Division games are much larger than other games because when you win, you pick up a game in the standings to the team you beat. When you win a game against a non-divisional foe and the team ahead of you in the standings also wins, you don't make up any ground. Make the intra-division games later, not sooner!

Brian26
10-13-2007, 04:11 PM

The other advantage of this would be that the west coast teams wouldn't necessarily be playing each other in April in pleasant weather while the midwest teams are having their interdivisional games snowed out. With the NL, for example, why not match up San Diego, San Fran, the Dodgers, and Arizona with Chicago, St. Louis, Cincy and the Mets? Milwaukee has the dome, so you don't have to worry about them; the same applies to Houston. Atlanta and Florida are left over in warm weather cities, so there are plenty of divisional series available between them and Phi, Pitt, and Washington.

I think you joked once about ordering a pizza and a case of beer and putting the MLB schedule together some Friday night. It can't be that difficult. It makes no sense for San Diego and the Dodgers to be playing each other in 70-degree weather in the first week of April.

getonbckthr
10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
That is odd. I only remember the Cubs and Sox having home games one the same day once or twice a season. With these schedules, however, they have two alone in April: the 15th and 22nd. Then again they're both home August 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24.
My computer and cell phone will be taken away cause I have a feeling this is a messy day for me as its my birthday. If the Cubs are during the day and Sox at night I plan on making it a nice long celebration. All invited.:smile:

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I think you joked once about ordering a pizza and a case of beer and putting the MLB schedule together some Friday night. It can't be that difficult. It makes no sense for San Diego and the Dodgers to be playing each other in 70-degree weather in the first week of April.
I wasn't joking. I was serious. One of the other lawyers in my office (Cub fan) and I were thisclose to writing Bud telling him we would get the job done for $1,000,000. I think MLB paid more than that for this crap.

Since he and I are of the two religions, there would be no built-in favoritism at least for the Chicago teams.

By way, he and I agree that there should be only one Crosstown Classic each year alternating the ballparks.

gaelhound
10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Who is going to the games when the Kiddies are still in school?

DumpJerry
10-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Who is going to the games when the Kiddies are still in school?
The same people who go every year.

kittle42
10-16-2007, 08:06 AM
The same people who go every year.

You mean one can go to the game without a child???

itsnotrequired
10-16-2007, 08:54 AM
You mean one can go to the game without a child???

They pass some out at the gate if you forgot yours at home.