PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-14

Lip Man 1
10-13-2007, 11:36 AM
October 14, 1906 - The Sox beat the Cubs, winning the World Series four games to two behind the pitching of Guy "Doc" White. "Big" Ed Walsh wins two games for the Sox with infielder George Rohe batting .333 and playing in all six games. After the game, owner Charles Comiskey hands a 15,000 dollar check to manager Fielder Jones. Itís to be split among the players. The players viewed the check as a bonus for their efforts. Comiskey considered it part of the 1907 salary! The seeds of the eventual Black Sox scandal were perhaps sown on this day.

Lip

DoItForDanPasqua
10-13-2007, 12:09 PM
October 14, 2005- Behind Jon Garland's complete game, the second of what would become four straight for the Sox staff, the White Sox defeat the Angels, in Anaheim, 5-2 to take a two games to one lead in the ALCS.

PalehosePlanet
10-13-2007, 09:35 PM
October 14, 1906 - The Sox beat the Cubs, winning the World Series four games to two behind the pitching of Guy "Doc" White. "Big" Ed Walsh wins two games for the Sox with infielder George Rohe batting .333 and playing in all six games. After the game, owner Charles Comiskey hands a 15,000 dollar check to manager Fielder Jones. Itís to be split among the players. The players viewed the check as a bonus for their efforts. Comiskey considered it part of the 1907 salary! The seeds of the eventual Black Sox scandal were perhaps sown on this day.

Lip

Game six was attended by an incredibly angry and bitter cubs fan by the name of Kennisaw "Mountain" Landis who could not believe that his beloved and heavily favored team would go down in flames. Obviously it can't be proven but I think he was exacting his own petty revenge on us in 1920. We were one of the best, if not thee best, team in baseball at the time. He made sure to put an end to that.

Railsplitter
10-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Game six was attended by an incredibly angry and bitter cubs fan by the name of Kennisaw "Mountain" Landis who could not believe that his beloved and heavily favored team would go down in flames. Obviously it can't be proven but I think he was exacting his own petty revenge on us in 1920. We were one of the best, if not thee best, team in baseball at the time. He made sure to put an end to that.
Judge Landis was named after Kennisaw Mountain in Georgia, where his father had been wounded in the Civil War.

PKalltheway
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Wow! Never knew that...thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
10-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Palehose:

Sorry to disagree with you. Landis was a big time White Sox fan. You'll find that out in the next few days.

By the way I checked your comment with Sox historian Rich Lindberg and he confirmed it, that Landis was not a Cub fan by any stretch.

Lip

TommyJohn
10-14-2007, 10:51 AM
October 14, 1906 - The seeds of the eventual Black Sox scandal were perhaps sown on this day.

Lip

How so? Not one player from 1906 played on the 1919 team.

PalehosePlanet
10-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Palehose:

Sorry to disagree with you. Landis was a big time White Sox fan. You'll find that out in the next few days.

By the way I checked your comment with Sox historian Rich Lindberg and he confirmed it, that Landis was not a Cub fan by any stretch.

Lip

Lip, I watched a documentary a while back which stated that he was a very upset cubs fan who was so angry that he left the game early. Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly what documentary it was, and therefore, the source. They did not mention the revenge on the Sox angle; that is simply conjecture on my part. Of course it is possible that the statement made in the documentary was wrong. I was basing my theory on that staement being true. I wish I could remember the source.

PalehosePlanet
10-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Below is an excerpt from an online biography.

http://www.answers.com/topic/kenesaw-mountain-landis

Landis became an ardent Chicago Cubs (http://www.answers.com/topic/chicago-cubs) fan and sometimes asked for postponements of court hearings so he could attend a crucial game. He said baseball was a great game and "remarkable for its cleanness" in an era where other sports had an unsavory (http://www.answers.com/topic/unsavory) relationship with gamblers.

Lip Man 1
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM
TJ:

Because of the fact that the players who were on that club got the word out about what happened with the 15 thousand dollars. All reputations have to start somewhere. This in my opinion, was where Comiskey's 'reputation' which certainly wasn't close to being good among the players, began.

That's why I used the word, 'perhaps' in my description..simply my opinion on this.

By the time 1919 rolled around everyone in baseball knew about what had happened plus Mr. Comiskey didn't help himself by for example, not allowing the team to pay for washing uniforms. The Sox really were the 'Black Sox' because the players refused to wash their uniforms until they were absolutely, positively filthy and even they couldn't stand it anymore.

Pale:

Some things will become clearer soon on this matter and again my source on this is Rich Lindberg for what that may be worth.

Lip