PDA

View Full Version : Owners get warning on George Mitchell steroid report

Fenway
10-13-2007, 09:33 AM
MLB owners were told in a conference call on Friday that George Mitchell's doping investigation findings are expected to be released after the season ends, as has been reported, and to be prepared for "any eventuality."

Mitchell told the Daily News in July that he expected to issue his report after the World Series and that he expected it to contain the names of players. MLB senior vice president Rob Manfred reiterated that yesterday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/10/13/2007-10-13_owners_get_warning_on_george_mitchell_st.html

Frater Perdurabo
10-13-2007, 09:35 AM
If this comes out right after the World Series, who knows what kind of effect it might have on the free agent market? :o:

kevin57
10-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I heard on the SCORE that the report will come out sometime "before the end of the year" and that it will name names never before even suggested by the media, etc. The clear indication is that Mitchell is not going to cover up anything.

I hope so...and I'm glad, too. I know that Mitchell's friendship with Uncle Bud has raised suspicions, but it was my belief that Mitchell has always been a straight-shooter and a stand-up guy.

Let the good times roll. :redneck

Fenway
10-13-2007, 01:34 PM
If this comes out right after the World Series, who knows what kind of effect it might have on the free agent market? :o:

I don't think it is possible but could you imagine if A-Rod opted out and then was on the list?????

My #1 suspect

http://www.cnnsi.com/features/cover/2002/jinx/00s/030501lg.jpg

oeo
10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't think it is possible but could you imagine if A-Rod opted out and then was on the list?????

And yet A-Rod continues to hit 50+ homeruns...

He's one of the best ever, that's why he has such good numbers; not because he cheated.

Fenway
10-13-2007, 01:46 PM

He's one of the best ever, that's why he has such good numbers; not because he cheated.

I agree.

It would be devasting to baseball if any real big names are on that list ( Manny, Ortiz, A-Rod etc )

Something big is coming or Selig would not have warned the owners

FarWestChicago
10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

He's one of the best ever, that's why he has such good numbers; not because he cheated.You don't know that.

ChiSoxLifer
10-13-2007, 03:32 PM
You don't know that.

I'm not saying it happened but I wouldn't be surprised if ARod took HGH. There's no testing for it and from what I heard it's as effective as steroids. For myself, if I had to choose between a multi-million dollar contract and toiling in the minors, it would be nearly impossible for me to say no to performance enhancing drugs. As you can see, many people made the same decision.

Fenway
10-13-2007, 03:41 PM
You don't know that.

No we don't

I've got a bad feeling about this list of players. Mitchell's revelation may very well rock MLB. Not saying it shouldn't be done but that the names on the list may very well knock a few people off of their feet.

Dan Mega
10-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree.

It would be devasting to RED SOX AND YANKEES FANS if any real big names are on that list ( Manny, Ortiz, A-Rod etc )

Something big is coming or Selig would not have warned the owners

The rest of the nation would be laughing. ESPN would claim "nothing to see here".

Dan Mega
10-13-2007, 03:46 PM
No we don't

I've got a bad feeling about this list of players. Mitchell's revelation may very well rock MLB. Not saying it shouldn't be done but that the names on the list may very well knock a few people off of their feet.

In the sake of profits, I wouldn't be shocked if Uncle Bud filtered that list before it was released to the public.

Fenway
10-13-2007, 03:47 PM
The rest of the nation would be laughing. ESPN would claim "nothing to see here".

Since right now EVERYBODY is a suspect for the past 20 years..how would you feel if say Frank was on the list?

I suspect Mo Vaughn was a user because of the injuries that ended his career.

ilsox7
10-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm not saying it happened but I wouldn't be surprised if ARod took HGH. There's no testing for it and from what I heard it's as effective as steroids. For myself, if I had to choose between a multi-million dollar contract and toiling in the minors, it would be nearly impossible for me to say no to performance enhancing drugs. As you can see, many people made the same decision.

Are you saying that you have no integrity and don't care about your health? :?:

Dan Mega
10-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Fenway- those "real big names" you gave just happened to be on Boston and New York. You can't honestly say that if Ortiz was found guilty of steroids, that everyone outside of Boston and New York (to a far lesser extent) would be saddened by it. I think the nationwide disdain for both of those teams (besides their network ESPN's claims) would almost trigger cheers instead of frowns, mixed in with a bunch of "told you so's".

Who knows, maybe Big Hurt is on that list, but I severely doubt it. He has been big his whole life and has spoken out against roids back when the media wanted to turn a blind eye to it.

Frater Perdurabo
10-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Since right now EVERYBODY is a suspect for the past 20 years..how would you feel if say Frank was on the list?

I would be extremely shocked if Frank was on the list, because:

1. Frank has adamantly denounced steroid use throughout his career;

2. He's always been big and comes from a family of large people;

3. He was big in college, where he played TE, and where the Auburn football players had to undergo steroid testing;

4. The weight he's gained during his pro career has been where most men gain weight as their metabolism slows (battle of the bulge);

5. His numbers didn't spike later in his career.

Fenway
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Fenway- those "real big names" you gave just happened to be on Boston and New York. You can't honestly say that if Ortiz was found guilty of steroids, that everyone outside of Boston and New York (to a far lesser extent) would be saddened by it. I think the nationwide disdain for both of those teams (besides their network ESPN's claims) would almost trigger cheers instead of frowns, mixed in with a bunch of "told you so's".

Who knows, maybe Big Hurt is on that list, but I severely doubt it. He has been big his whole life and has spoken out against roids back when the media wanted to turn a blind eye to it.

I am afraid fans of EVERY team are going to be saddened by this.

Domeshot17
10-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Heres my list of 10 hitters I think will come out, Im hoping to score a 70 or higher

Carlos Delgado
David Ortiz
Manny Ramirez
Sammy Sosa (finally busted)
Nomar
Miguel Tejada
Hank Blaylock
Eric Chavez
Milton Bradley
Paul Laducca (spelling, C for the mets)

Shorter list of pitchers
Clemens
Farnsworth
Hudson
Billy Wagner
Mark Prior

and sadly my guess of Sox players (past or present) if any come out (in no real order and not that im saying I think all these guys did but there might be a possibility)
Dye
Uribe
Rowand
Foulke
Koch
Durham
Thome (I really hope not)
Crede

ilsox7
10-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I would be completely shocked if Thome or Manny is on any list. Especially Thome. Hell, I think there is a better chance of me running a four minute mile than there is of Jim Thome being linked to steroids.

dickallen15
10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I would be extremely shocked if Frank was on the list, because:

1. Frank has adamantly denounced steroid use throughout his career;

2. He's always been big and comes from a family of large people;

3. He was big in college, where he played TE, and where the Auburn football players had to undergo steroid testing;

4. The weight he's gained during his pro career has been where most men gain weight as their metabolism slows (battle of the bulge);

5. His numbers didn't spike later in his career.
Marion Jones denounced steroid use. I hope he isn't on the list, but if he is, I won't be sad. I won't be sad with any name on the list. I think there will be a lot of pitchers on the list.

Domeshot17
10-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I would be completely shocked if Thome or Manny is on any list. Especially Thome. Hell, I think there is a better chance of me running a four minute mile than there is of Jim Thome being linked to steroids.

While I want to agree, I wouldnt be shocked if he used early his career as an indian. My main hope for him is look how when his mom had cancer, he quit chewing. If he is willing to go to those lengths, hopefully he wasnt willing put a needle in his ass. Dye I worry about again not with the Sox but maybe in oakland, when he couldnt stay healthy at all.

ChiSoxRowand
10-13-2007, 04:33 PM
My #1 suspect (even though he is retired)

http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesplayers/belljay.jpg

whitesoxfan1986
10-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Manny Ramirez is in the top 10 of my suspected steroid users list. I saw an old replay of Jeff Abbott's No Hitter against the Indians and Manny was a skinny rookie about the same size, if not smaller, than Sosa. I expect Manny to be on the list, and will be surprised if he isn't.
Some of the guys that I suspect are Ramirez, Clemens, Bonds(obviously) Sosa, Tejada, Nomar, Wagner, Wood, Prior, and, sadly enough, Konerko. As much as I love the Sox, if there was one guy that I think used steroids on the team, it would be Paulie.

Daver
10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
I think there will be a lot of pitchers on the list.

I will be quite surprised if pitchers don't out number hitters by a large margin.

ilsox7
10-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Manny Ramirez is in the top 10 of my suspected steroid users list. I saw an old replay of Jeff Abbott's No Hitter against the Indians and Manny was a skinny rookie about the same size, if not smaller, than Sosa. I expect Manny to be on the list, and will be surprised if he isn't.
Some of the guys that I suspect are Ramirez, Clemens, Bonds(obviously) Sosa, Tejada, Nomar, Wagner, Wood, Prior, and, sadly enough, Konerko. As much as I love the Sox, if there was one guy that I think used steroids on the team, it would be Paulie.

Manny has basically the same exact numbers in Boston that he had in Cleveland. Regardless of his other issues, he has been known as one of the best pure hitters since before he came up to the Indians. It's certainly possible, but it'd surprise me.

getonbckthr
10-13-2007, 06:28 PM
My list:
Crede (look at how his back has degenerated)
Rowand (remember the major accident)
Sosa (no explanation needed)
Albert Belle (just a hunch)
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettite
Kerry Wood
Mark Prior
Nomahhhhhh
Brady Anderson
Brian Roberts
Mo Vaughn

nccwsfan
10-13-2007, 08:01 PM

This was exactly my first thought. I could see free agency come to a crawl until this report comes out- when Gary Matthews Jr. got nabbed shortly after signing a large FA contract there was noticable embarrassment from the Angels organization, and had they known then what they know now things might have turned out different for Matthews.

The sad facts are this- every team will have someone tied to this, we can speculate but have no idea who will be on this list, and even with this report there will be others who have taken PED but not be implicated. Expect the worst and hope for the best...

whitesoxfan1986
10-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Manny has basically the same exact numbers in Boston that he had in Cleveland. Regardless of his other issues, he has been known as one of the best pure hitters since before he came up to the Indians. It's certainly possible, but it'd surprise me.
I thought pure hitter meant hitting for average, and that there is nothing about power in there. That makes sense. However, was it said that he was a 5 tool player?

ilsox7
10-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I thought pure hitter meant hitting for average, and that there is nothing about power in there. That makes sense. However, was it said that he was a 5 tool player?

Not sure about the 5 tool thing. All I know is that I remember reading about Manny when he was a minor leaguer and the talk was how great of a hitter he was. Combination of average and power. Great eye. All of that good stuff. And he's pretty much lived up to the hype every year of his career.

Steelrod
10-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Konerko!

There's no doubt considering how well defined and cut his body is!
If you want a name, how about Ordonez?

Woofer
10-13-2007, 10:49 PM
JEEZ, I hope the roids didn't give Paulie his blazing speed!!!! (Teal)

PalehosePlanet
10-13-2007, 10:57 PM
My list:
Rowand (remember the major accident)
Sosa (no explanation needed)
Albert Belle (just a hunch)
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettite
Kerry Wood
Mark Prior
Nomahhhhhh
Brady Anderson
Brian Roberts
Mo Vaughn

Don't forget Luis Gonzales and Eric Gagne!

Boondock Saint
10-13-2007, 11:03 PM

It's strange how Gagne's been pretty well under the steroid radar, even though it seems pretty obvious that he's had a dramatic dropoff in skill since attention for the steroid issue has become prevalent.

PKalltheway
10-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Gonzo HAS to be on that list. How in the hell could he hit 57 homers in a season?!

drewcifer
10-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Gonzo HAS to be on that list. How in the hell could he hit 57 homers in a season?!

Never seen baseball in AZ, I'm assuming. We train there, in case you haven't heard....

PKalltheway
10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Never seen baseball in AZ, I'm assuming. We train there, in case you haven't heard....
I KNOW that, but still, Gonzo isn't an epic, 50 home runs a year, power hitter...and yes, I am aware of Arizona's high altitude

drewcifer
10-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I KNOW that, but still, Gonzo isn't an epic, 50 home runs a year, power hitter...and yes, I am aware of Arizona's high altitude

He's a bad speculation is my point. When he played for AZ, he made a point of talking about his workout regimen, ethic, and focus on hitting. He got old and declined, but I have no doubts that he was legit that season.

The guy used to ride his bike to the ****ing ball park everyday.

I'm just saying, I'm sure alot of people will be disappointed if/when this all comes out but I don't think he was a cheater.

PKalltheway
10-14-2007, 12:10 AM
He's a bad speculation is my point. When he played for AZ, he made a point of talking about his workout regimen, ethic, and focus on hitting. He got old and declined, but I have no doubts that he was legit that season.

The guy used to ride his bike to the ****ing ball park everyday.

I'm just saying, I'm sure alot of people will be disappointed if/when this all comes out but I don't think he was a cheater.
Didn't know about the workout regimen. Point well taken. I'm executing him before he even goes to trial, and that's bad on my part (except in the cases of Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Mark McGwire). You just never know though...I always thought that Rafael Palmeiro was legit...it's really hard for me to trust anyone now with the way things have been unfolding...

Martinigirl
10-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Konerko!

There's no doubt considering how well defined and cut his body is!
If you want a name, how about Ordonez?

I think the most obvious is Ivan Rodriguez. The man is half the size he was when he played with the Rangers.

michned
10-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Didn't know about the workout regimen. Point well taken. I'm executing him before he even goes to trial, and that's bad on my part (except in the cases of Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Mark McGwire). You just never know though...I always thought that Rafael Palmeiro was legit...it's really hard for me to trust anyone now with the way things have been unfolding...

The thing about Gonzo is the guy has never been ripped, or buffed, or defined. When you see him up close in street clothes, you have a hard time believing this guy is a professional athlete.

The Immigrant
10-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. For Mitchell to identify suspected steroid users without positive urine tests to back up his findings would lead to an outright brawl between the players union and MLB (and could be libelous). Besides, Mitchell was hired by MLB to conduct this investigation and I can't see MLB risking the health of the golden goose over this issue. If anyone gets named, it will be marginal players whose careers ended long ago.

WhiteSox5187
10-14-2007, 12:50 AM
I think that Rowand might be named...I wouldn't be shocked with just but anyone. The one thing that gives me some hope for Paulie and Rowand is the fact that they were leaders in the 2002 White Sox that refused testing because they WANTED stricter testing, that is until the union stepped in.

TheOldRoman
10-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Marion Jones denounced steroid use. I hope he isn't on the list, but if he is, I won't be sad. Different situation. Jones denounced steroids after a leak (which of course was true) from a slimeball former cohort that she was a roider. She condemned it after she was accused. Frank was always outspoken about steroid, well before it became the issue it is now.

Other than that, I don't think it would change free agency that much this year. I mean, getting busted for roids might put a Mike Myers or Josh Fogg out of the league, but does anyone think for a second no team will throw $150-$250 million at A-Rod if it comes out that he rook roids?

Nellie_Fox
10-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I think it's irresponsible to slander people like this, based on mere suspicion.

hi im skot
10-14-2007, 02:06 AM
I think it's irresponsible to slander people like this, based on mere suspicion.

Thank you.

The whole listing off players thing is dumb. Keep your guesses to yourself. No one cares if you got seven of your ten guesses correct.

Wait to see what happens.

cburns
10-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Irregardless of who is named and who isn't, I hope this list covers every single team (yes, even the Sox). If everyone is involved, hopefully this **** will get fixed. At least a new testing policy until a new drug is found. I know I've rolled my eyes at a lot of the stats in the past few years. I'd like to be able to enjoy the sport for what it is. I know everyone is different, but I'm the type of person who gets pissed off when people cheat for the must mundane things. It's hard to stop people from wanting to get an edge when there are millions of dollars at stake. Maybe the solution to the problem is not a ban on games but a reduction in salary or a loss in salary.

RadioheadRocks
10-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Amen!

ChiSoxFan35
10-14-2007, 03:33 AM

Pssh, they brought it on themselves, they can thank their peers for that. People mentioning ARod, I'd be more surprised if he's never tied to it. If you talk to NY media people who see him with his shirt off, they wonder if they walked into the Yankee clubhouse or some olympic bodybuilder event.

Either way, no way I'm taking this list as gospel, is there real proof or are names just leads based on hearsay? Wasn't the investigation and cooperation ripped in the news multiple times before this? Friend of Bud's too right?

I'm guessing a ton of Yankees alone would make a real list, Damon, ARod, Abreu, Giambi, Clemens...

misty60481
10-14-2007, 06:02 AM
What will happen to players named ? Will there be some kind of punishment ? I know they all will deserve an individual trial. Are the ones that are listed on the report just going to be named and forgotten ? Unless something is done the whole thing is a farce. What young man wouldnt try and sneak thru for a million dollar contract, if caught later he still is millionaire and probably could care less if he s banned from HOF.Think about yourself if you were ever in that position, money is very positive motivator.

hi im skot
10-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Pssh, they brought it on themselves, they can thank their peers for that.

You're missing the point.

People are just randomly throwing out names of players they think might be users. There's no evidence to throw Damon or Konerko into the mix.

The guys who broke the rules did indeed bring it upon themselves, but let's not start crucifying the guys who are just pure speculation until the facts are released.

Frater Perdurabo
10-14-2007, 09:23 AM

I agree, but for the record, I think you mean libel. If people are making unsubstantiated accusations in written format, they could be accused of libel. It's slander when they speak those accusations verbally. It amounts to the same thing, though.

jabrch
10-14-2007, 09:54 AM
My list:

That's completely ridiculous.

TornLabrum
10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
And once again someone fails to take a friendly hint from a mod and then names even more players without any evidence.

Thread closed. And a week off for the offender.