PDA

View Full Version : Why the surprise at salary demands??

misty60481
10-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Why is anybody surprised at the demands of major league players--A-Row--Torii Hunter--A. Jones--. They are young men with probably the only chance in there life to make a big buck. All this talk about hometown discounts is silly. When is the last time the owners gave any discounts to the players or fans. Dont you think they would fleece a player on his contract if they had a chance. I m not for owners but there the ones that started this snowball effect on payrolls. There is still a big word that means a lot--NO--.

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Keep in mind that no contract demands have been made yet since free agency has not started. These are rumors being floated by people who have an interest in knocking down the price of some of the players through public ridicule. It's like when a policy is being considered by the President or Governor of a state that someone on the inside thinks is the dumbest idea ever. The idea is leaked to the press which, in turn, reports it causing many to make public statements about how dumb the idea is thereby assuring it a swift end.

Let's re-visit this thread in March next year when we know what the players actually get.

TDog
10-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Keep in mind that no contract demands have been made yet since free agency has not started. ....

For that matter, no one has yet filed for free agency.

Mark Buehrle signed for a lot less than people were suggesting he would demand.

itsnotrequired
10-13-2007, 12:54 PM
The best bargaining approach is to ask for LESS than you are worth and then work your way up. Worth a try, I think...

Jjav829
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Because people like to get all worked up when rumors start about what a player demanded, without even knowing whether the player actually demanded that contract. Also, people like to forget that it's called negotiating for a reason, as if they'd go into a contract negotiation asking for exactly what they expect rather than more than they'd expect.

Oblong
10-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm generally pro player in MLB labor disputes. I believe the owners are making a heck of a lot more than they let on, that's why it's very rare for any real financial data to come out. Baseball players are entertainers and entertainers are highly paid because thousands and thousands of people find value in what they do.

It takes two parties to sign a contract. The MLB player's association is very powerful and very smart. They speak with a unified voice and exploit baseball's lack of leadership. You have 30 owners and probably 5 different agendas split amongst those 30. That makes it tough to stand firm in negotiations.

I do not expect to see any real outrageous deals. Those usually come in the off season after the CBA get signed. Then things start to go back to normal.