PDA

View Full Version : Reds are talking to Dusty Baker about the Manager opening

DumpJerry
10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7323872?MSNHPHMA

This is the guy who turns a blind eye to his players' indiscretions. Good luck, Cincy, your pitching staff will need it.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey he's a good dude.

Boondock Saint
10-11-2007, 10:33 PM
At least this time he won't have a team with some potential to ruin.

Frater Perdurabo
10-12-2007, 05:54 AM
As bad as the Reds' bullpen is, can you imagine how many innings Reds' starters would throw?

DumpJerry
10-12-2007, 06:35 AM
As bad as the Reds' bullpen is, can you imagine how many innings Reds' starters would throw?
No less than between 1,377 and 1,458. 1,377 represents no appearances at all in the 9th Inning on the road because the home team has the lead and 1,458 is 162*9.

The number could be higher if there are any extra innings.

tebman
10-12-2007, 08:09 AM
You know, if Baker pulls this off and gets the job he'll break the string of former Cub managers who never worked again. That in itself would be noteworthy. :D:

WizardsofOzzie
10-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Aww crap. I like the Reds too. I'd be a shame to watch this dope drag them down even further than they already are.

Iwritecode
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
You know, if Baker pulls this off and gets the job he'll break the string of former Cub managers who never worked again. That in itself would be noteworthy. :D:

Technically, it's only a string of 3 managers. Riggleman, Baylor and Baker.

Jim LeFebvre managed the Brewers for a whopping 49 games in 1999.

mrfourni
10-12-2007, 11:04 AM
I was hoping they'd keep the Br. Rice grad. He had them playing ok when he took over

PKalltheway
10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
It is done.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3062658

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 10:24 PM
It is done.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3062658
Well, let the champagne flow in Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Houston and Wrigleyville. The Reds will not contend (again).

drewcifer
10-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Maybe Michelle can work her magic to update this graphic:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/fugnutz/untitled.jpg

one of the funniest.

Boondock Saint
10-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, let the champagne flow in Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Houston and Wrigleyville. The Reds will not contend (again).

I was thinking exact same thing. The Pirates might finally climb out of the gutter and step on the Reds on the way up.

Dibbs
10-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I feel bad for the Reds...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm shocked he found another managerial job in MLB. This doesn't happen too often to ex-Cubs managers. They really throw 'em under the bus over there.

:o:

Railsplitter
10-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I feel bad for the Reds... ...who have just been eliminated from winning the NL Central for the next 3 years.

FedEx227
10-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Dude, what's the big deal, dude?

Luckily, he's got Aaron Harang at the top of his rotation, a guy who has no problems going 9 innings. So he certainly can't ruin his arm, though he most likely will, it'll be a Dusty challenge.

oeo
10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
They would have been better off hiring Joey Cora (would have helped us out, too :D:).

downstairs
10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
...who have just been eliminated from winning the NL Central for the next 3 years.

The guy HAS been to one World Series game 7, and was 5 outs from the Series another year.

Not saying he's brillant, but there are managers with worse track records out there...

SOXPHILE
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm sure Bronson Arroyo will still be able to hit a homerun or two against the team soon to be formerly known as Team Tribune...

October26
10-15-2007, 01:25 PM
The guy HAS been to one World Series game 7, and was 5 outs from the Series another year.

Not saying he's brillant, but there are managers with worse track records out there...

Agreed. Plus, I'm thinking that anybody that comes to the NL Central and can torment the Cubs is a friend of mine. I have family in Cincinnati and they are sick of the Cubs fan invasion that takes place every time the Reds and Cubs play in Cinci. They'd like to see the Reds win some games instead of always being overshadowed by the Cubs.

FedEx227
10-15-2007, 01:39 PM
So much for Cincy actually rebuilding with young talent.

Anybody under 27 should probably ask for their release or face a year of 60 at-bats, dude.

The Immigrant
10-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Looks like Neifi Perez will be moving to Cincinnati next year...

PKalltheway
10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Yeah. The Reds could have hired Phil Garner.

palehozenychicty
10-15-2007, 03:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. :tongue:

D. TODD
10-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Not saying he's brillant, but there are managers with worse track records out there... This is very true. I'm not a Dusty fan, but his track record is GOOD. Cub and Giant fans can hate him all they want, but both teams got the farthest in the post season with him and closer to a world championship under Dusty then anytime in either of their teams fans lifetimes. He has won where many others have failed, dumb luck, maybe, but 3 manager of the year awards and post season runs with perennial losers is his track record as a manager.

TornLabrum
10-15-2007, 05:47 PM

And let's not forget what happened when he reached game 7 of the World Series: The owner of the Giants fired him.

ode to veeck
10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
This is very true. I'm not a Dusty fan, but his track record is GOOD. Cub and Giant fans can hate him all they want, but both teams got the farthest in the post season with him and closer to a world championship under Dusty then anytime in either of their teams fans lifetimes. He has won where many others have failed, dumb luck, maybe, but 3 manager of the year awards and post season runs with perennial losers is his track record as a manager.

he also left both teams in shambles, which the scrubs are finally getting out of while the Giants have extended their hiatus from competitiveness via Barroids

alohafri
10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Technically, it's only a string of 3 managers. Riggleman, Baylor and Baker.

Jim LeFebvre managed the Brewers for a whopping 49 games in 1999.

But wasn't LeFebvre actually an interim manager, filling in for someone who was fired? I wouldn't count that. Does anyone remember the last former Cub manager who was hired for the beginning of a season?

MUsoxfan
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
The Brushback (http://thebrushback.com/baker_full.htm) has a nice article on it....

Reds Pitcher Feels Twinge In Shoulder Minutes After Baker Hiring

CINCINNATI--Reds starting pitcher Aaron Harang told the team yesterday that he felt a mysterious twinge in his pitching shoulder shortly after the team confirmed the hiring of Dusty Baker as manager. Harang, who hasn’t pitched in weeks, said the pain appeared “out of the blue” while he was watching television........

ode to veeck
10-16-2007, 02:43 PM
The Brushback (http://thebrushback.com/baker_full.htm) has a nice article on it....

Reds Pitcher Feels Twinge In Shoulder Minutes After Baker Hiring

CINCINNATI--Reds starting pitcher Aaron Harang told the team yesterday that he felt a mysterious twinge in his pitching shoulder shortly after the team confirmed the hiring of Dusty Baker as manager. Harang, who hasn’t pitched in weeks, said the pain appeared “out of the blue” while he was watching television........

LMAO

Iwritecode
10-16-2007, 02:48 PM
But wasn't LeFebvre actually an interim manager, filling in for someone who was fired? I wouldn't count that. Does anyone remember the last former Cub manager who was hired for the beginning of a season?

Lee Elia started managing the Philles in mid-1987 and was fired with a week and a half to go in 1988.

Foulke You
10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
My Cub fan friend at work assures me that Freddy Bynum will also find his way to Cincy along with Neifi.