PDA

View Full Version : BP's White Sox Offseason Plan

Sockinchisox
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Chicago White Sox

2007 Record: 72-90, fourth place

2007 Attendance: 2.7 million, fifth in the AL

2007 Payroll: $109 million, fifth in baseball

Key Free Agents (2007): SS-R Juan Uribe (club option)

Key Free Agents (2008): DH-L Jim Thome, 3B-R Joe Crede, RHP Jon Garland

Key Long-Term Commitments: LHP Mark Buehrle, $14M/year through 2010; 1B-R Paul Konerko, $12M/year through 2010; RHP Javier Vazquez, $11.5M/year through 2010; RF-R Jermaine Dye, $11M/year through 2009, plus 2010 mutual option; C-L A.J. Pierzynski, $6.25M/year through 2010

Key Ready-Now Youngsters: 3B/LF-R Josh Fields, OF-L Ryan Sweeney, LHP Gio Gonzalez

Needs: 1. At least one big bat for LF/CF; 2. 2B; 3. SS

What They Should Do: Strong Buy. The White Sox picked their direction during the season when they re-signed both Mark Buehrle and Jermaine Dye to long-term contracts rather than trading them for prospects. Having done so, the team has little choice but to complete the cycle and field a team that should have a median expectation somewhere in the 88-win range. That scenario will probably require signing at least two “name” free agents. The alternative is being stuck in the middle, and spending a lot of money while undermining the reservoir of support they built up in 2005.

What They Will Do: Weak Buy. When you combine Jerry Reinsdorf and Kenny Williams, no direction would be entirely surprising, but this is one of those cases where going 72-90 might ultimately have been better than 80-82, because it underscores the fact that the team must spend money to improve. The guess here is that the White Sox go far but not quite far enough, trading Jon Garland for an offensive piece, and signing one mid-tier free agent.

Sorry if this goes against anything.

chisoxmike
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
:pee BP

Sockinchisox
10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
They're not that bad, they usually know what they're talking about, not so much when it comes to records, but when it comes to breaking down players they're not bad.

chisoxmike
10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
They're not that bad, they usually know what they're talking about, not so much when it comes to records, but when it comes to breaking down players they're not bad.

They think Mark Buehrle isn't a ace because he isn't a power pitcher and he doesn't strike enough people out. :rolleyes:

Sockinchisox
10-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, thats almost always been the definition of an ace, he's jut a different type of an ace.

itsnotrequired
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, thats almost always been the definition of an ace, he's jut a different type of an ace.

By their definition, there are only 5 or so aces in the majors.

SABRSox
10-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Perhaps they use the term "ace" sparingly, as it should be used.

nccwsfan
10-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Would Aaron Rowand be considered a mid-tier free agent?

ChiSoxFan35
10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I don't see how attendance matters either way. I think they might go that way, but it's impossible to predict an offseason with Kenny Williams. He has pulled off getting some of the more sought out guys, like a Colon or Garcia, without even giving up too much. Plus you hear some guys want to play for Ozzie, so we'll see

Sockinchisox
10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
To each his own I guess, I just posted this because I thought some people would like to see what an outside source thinks the team needs, I'm just shocked that they don't think an arm or two in the bullpen is a "key-need".

Iwritecode
10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm just shocked that they don't think an arm or two in the bullpen is a "key-need".

Same here.

Lip Man 1
10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I was flipping through the channels while working out on the bike this morning and I came across Baseball Tonight (which for some reason was playing in the morning).

They were talking about Rowand and Tim Kurkjian came right out and said he's not going to re-sign with the Phillies, he'll sign a free agent deal with the White Sox.

He was very 'matter-of-fact' about it.

Lip

asindc
10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I was flipping through the channels while working out on the bike this morning and I came across Baseball Tonight (which for some reason was playing in the morning).

They were talking about Rowand and Tim Kurkjian came right out and said he's not going to re-sign with the Phillies, he'll sign a free agent deal with the White Sox.

Lip

If this is true, I'll be happy, but I do think Hunter would be a better choice if the money is right.

I'd be ticked if I was a Phillies fan and this happens. Net loss in the Thome/Rowland trade for them. I had considered the trade pretty much even for the most part to this point.

oeo
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
This looks like it took all of five minutes to write. Good work.

DumpJerry
10-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Lip

Does this mean we can get Kurkjian banned for tampering?

TheCommander
10-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Lip

Kurkjian can be as reliable as Bruce Levineline. :rolleyes:

MCHSoxFan
10-11-2007, 04:53 PM
This looks like it took all of five minutes to write. Good work.

What do you mean. The post that started the thread or the Rowand on ESPN post? Just courious.

oeo
10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
What do you mean. The post that started the thread or the Rowand on ESPN post? Just courious.

What BP said...if that's all they wrote, what a waste. They didn't even get into all the holes we have.

JermaineDye05
10-11-2007, 05:08 PM
If this is true, I'll be happy, but I do think Hunter would be a better choice if the money is right.

I'd be ticked if I was a Phillies fan and this happens. Net loss in the Thome/Rowland trade for them. I had considered the trade pretty much even for the most part to this point.

Throw in Gio Gonzalez and if Gavin becomes halfway decent and the Phil fans will be steaming.

DSpivack
10-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Throw in Gio Gonzalez and if Gavin becomes halfway decent and the Phil fans will be steaming.

When aren't Philly fans steaming?

JermaineDye05
10-11-2007, 05:17 PM
When aren't Philly fans steaming?

about a week and a half ago.

champagne030
10-11-2007, 05:22 PM

The Phllies never would have had Gio without the Thome/Rowand trade. And Gavin wasn't part of that trade, not they'll miss him anyway.

JermaineDye05
10-11-2007, 05:25 PM
The Phllies never would have had Gio without the Thome/Rowand trade. And Gavin wasn't part of that trade, not they'll miss him anyway.

no but they lost Gio and Gavin for a rental of an injured Garcia.

russ99
10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
BP's posturing that the Sox will go cheap is way against everything I've heard from Kenny since even before the season ended.

This assumption that Jerry's cheap really needs to go away. I think he's proven he's not over the last few years.

Foulke You
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Everything we've read indicates that there are definitely changes on the way for the White Sox. I'd be shocked if the only move Kenny makes is for a "mid tier" free agent.

AZChiSoxFan
10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Just seeing the title of this thread, w/o even reading any of the posts, made me :rolleyes: and :puking:

ShoelessJoeS
10-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Everything we've read indicates that there are definitely changes on the way for the White Sox. I'd be shocked if the only move Kenny makes is for a "mid tier" free agent.Agreed on both counts.

champagne030
10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
no but they lost Gio and Gavin for a rental of an injured Garcia.

The post in question was regarding the Thome/Rowand trade. Garcia?...Then we go round & round....what would we have received from the Mets or Astros, ect. for Garcia?

At the end of the day we've traded the Phillies, Garcia, Rowand, Iguchi and Haigwood. We received Thome, Gavin and a Joint....seems like a wash at best.

rdivaldi
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
At the end of the day we've traded the Phillies, Garcia, Rowand, Iguchi and Haigwood. We received Thome, Gavin and a Joint....seems like a wash at best.

:?:

Joint = Gio?

champagne030
10-11-2007, 10:27 PM
:?:

Joint = Gio?

We already had Gio.......I was talking about Dubee. :cool:

rdivaldi
10-12-2007, 10:40 AM
We already had Gio.......I was talking about Dubee. :cool:

Ahhhhhhhhh... Good one!

Iwritecode
10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
This assumption that Jerry's cheap really needs to go away. I think he's proven he's not over the last few years.

Not "cheap" per se but he's not likely to blow a ton of money on the top free agent on the market either. Something like an eight-year contract worth about $136 million like some GM did last off-season.

Then watched his team get swept in the first round of the playoffs... :whistle:

Sockinchisox
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Well with the way the Cubs were going they needed to do something to get people to shut up so they signed him.

But in the end it's going to screw them for 7 years.

gosox41
10-14-2007, 01:29 AM
:pee BP

I'n not agreeing with BP on what they will probably do, but does anyone see the Sox keeping the exact core intact now and adding 2 marquee free agents?

I don't. BP or no BP, if the Sox happen to sign to big FA's then some starting pitching will be traded.

Bob

Tragg
10-14-2007, 03:45 PM
To each his own I guess, I just posted this because I thought some people would like to see what an outside source thinks the team needs, I'm just shocked that they don't think an arm or two in the bullpen is a "key-need".
We have a lot of young pitchers who can fill bullpen roles. Broadway, Gio, Egbert, Floyd, et al. That's one area in which I philosophically agree with BP - use young pitchers instead of the veteran career middle reliever that dominates so many bullpens.