PDA

View Full Version : MLB Revenues Article

Hitmen77
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
This is from a few days ago but I didn't see it posted here. Interesting article from Phil Rogers about escalating revenues for MLB. Many of these revenue streams are shared equally among the teams.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071007rogers,1,1443212.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

As been mentioned by others on WSI before, this may help explain how the Sox could be looking to increase payroll despite an expect downturn in ticket sales for next year.

Foulke You
10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
This could explain the monopoly money that was thrown around last offseason. $17 million per yr for Zito, $18 million per for Soriano, $11 million per for Gil Meche, etc. I have a feeling it is going to get worse before it gets better. A-Rod and Johan Santana free agency loom on the horizon.

DSpivack
10-11-2007, 04:00 PM
This could explain the monopoly money that was thrown around last offseason. $17 million per yr for Zito, $18 million per for Soriano, $11 million per for Gil Meche, etc. I have a feeling it is going to get worse before it gets better. A-Rod and Johan Santana free agency loom on the horizon.

Not to mention Yankees and Mets revenues will be going even higher when their new stadiums open in 2009. Heck, even the Nationals will probably raise their payroll considerably once their new park opens. I suspect the Naval Yard, or whatever the heck it'll be called, will be much more crowded than was RFK.

asindc
10-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Not to mention Yankees and Mets revenues will be going even higher when their new stadiums open in 2009. Heck, even the Nationals will probably raise their payroll considerably once their new park opens. I suspect the Naval Yard, or whatever the heck it'll be called, will be much more crowded than was RFK.

Ya think? RFK was/is a dump.

DSpivack
10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Ya think? RFK was/is a dump.

That may be obvious, but I expect the Nats in a few years time to not necessarily compete with the Mets in payroll, but be around $80-90 million, past whatever the Braves will be under Liberty Media.