PDA

View Full Version : The 50 greatest moments in LCS history

Fenway
10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
ESPN.com came up with their list of Top 50 LCS moments

I happen to agree with #1

White Sox only mentioned once

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=LCSmoments/071008 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=LCSmoments/071008)

45. A.J. Pierzynski reaches base after striking out, Game 2, 2005 (White Sox vs. Angels): After initially hesitating, Pierzynski dashed to first base upon realizing that plate umpire Doug Eddings hadn't called an out after Pierzynski's swinging third strike. Angels catcher Josh Paul, convinced he caught the third strike cleanly, rolled the ball out to the mound. Pinch runner Pablo Ozuna then stole second and scored the winning run on Joe Crede's double.

Rocky Soprano
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
The best game I have ever been too.

sox1970
10-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Agree about #1 too. First thing that came to mind.

Robin should have rounded the bases.

spawn
10-11-2007, 11:17 AM
ESPN.com came up with their list of Top 50 LCS moments

I happen to agree with #1

White Sox only mentioned once

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=LCSmoments/071008 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=LCSmoments/071008)

45. A.J. Pierzynski reaches base after striking out, Game 2, 2005 (White Sox vs. Angels): After initially hesitating, Pierzynski dashed to first base upon realizing that plate umpire Doug Eddings hadn't called an out after Pierzynski's swinging third strike. Angels catcher Josh Paul, convinced he caught the third strike cleanly, rolled the ball out to the mound. Pinch runner Pablo Ozuna then stole second and scored the winning run on Joe Crede's double.
I think 1 & 2 are a tossup...but I'm amazed #5 is as low as it is. I'd put that at least at #3.

eriqjaffe
10-11-2007, 11:17 AM
But his fan interference is remembered as the key play in Florida's eight-run eighth inning as the Marlins rallied from a 3-0 deficit.Dear ESPN: it's not interference if the ball is in the stands.

Fenway
10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I think 1 & 2 are a tossup...but I'm amazed #5 is as low as it is. I'd put that at least at #3.

I would rank this higher....if this doesn't happen NYY wins the series 4-0

47. Dave Roberts' steal, Game 4, 2004 (Red Sox vs. Yankees): Bottom of the ninth, Yankees lead 4-3 and Mariano Rivera is on the mound to complete the sweep. Kevin Millar walks and is replaced by Roberts, whose lead grows with every throw to first, leading Fox analyst Al Leiter to say, "He's goin'." Rivera finally pitches to Bill Mueller, and Roberts steals second. Mueller hits the next one up the middle, Roberts scores to tie the game and the rest is choking history.

Hitmen77
10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I agree with #1. What made that most painful for Pittsburgh fans was that it was the Pirates last chance for another pennant before they slid into perpetual bottom feeder status for the following 15 years (and counting).

I would have ranked the AJ incident higher.

I loved seeing that Ventura grand slam/single. Even though this didn't count towards his career totals, he's one of the all-time MLB leaders in hitting grand slams. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/higs1.shtml

If I'm counting correctly the two LCS (out of the 70+ series that have taken place since 1969) that was Red Sox vs. Yankees managed to grab 8 out of 50 spots from ESPN. What a surprise. No doubt those series had memorable moments, but it's just more NY-Bos centric view of the world from the Eastern Seaboard Network.

D. TODD
10-11-2007, 11:39 AM
My top 3

3.#4

#6 may have been my top but it wasn't a single moment. That Mets/Astros game was epic. The Billy Hatcher bomb to tie, the comebacks by both teams would all would add up to #1, but I can't single out one moment.

Being totally biased
1-4 consecutive complete games by the Sox
5 Paulie's early inning bombs in Anaheim

6.Crede's off the wall walk off double
:D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D:

Mohoney
10-11-2007, 11:39 AM
#6 was one of the greatest games in history. That should have been #1.

TDog
10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Overall, this is a silly list that says more about the author than about past highlights of league championship series.

Mohoney
10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
If I'm counting correctly the two LCS (out of the 70+ series that have taken place since 1969) that was Red Sox vs. Yankees managed to grab 8 out of 50 spots from ESPN. What a surprise. No doubt those series had memorable moments, but it's just more NY-Bos centric view of the world from the Eastern Seaboard Network.

****ing disgusting. Thank God ESPN has no postseason games this year.

I would rather watch an Al Jazeera or Cambodian Television Network feed, with the fuzziest signal ever relayed and broadcast in a language totally incomprehensible to me, than hear Chris Berman ever utter another word.

Fenway
10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
#6 was one of the greatest games in history. That should have been #1.

I had to leave my house in the 13th inning to go to Fenway which was hosting Game 7 of the 86 ALCS

I taped the entire game but never saw the end as the tape ran out after 6 hours :?:

Iwritecode
10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Being totally biased

that's the first thing I thought of too but it's not exactly a "moment".

Mohoney
10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I had to leave my house in the 13th inning to go to Fenway which was hosting Game 7 of the 86 ALCS

I taped the entire game but never saw the end as the tape ran out after 6 hours :?:

Damned analog equipment!

itsnotrequired
10-11-2007, 12:25 PM

You should have put it on SLP.

:redneck

wilburaga
10-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Cool. I saw three of them live (3, 36, 37).

W

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Good thing Tito Landrum didn't make the list.

PKalltheway
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Glad to see some of the 2004 NLCS moments on there. Even though that series was greatly overshadowed by Boston's epic comeback, it was still one of the best series I have ever seen. If the Boston comeback doesn't happen, that would have probably went down as one of the best ever.

Brian26
10-11-2007, 07:47 PM
17. Dodgers pitch to Jack Clark, Game 6, 1985 (Cardinals vs. Dodgers)Whatever you do, don't ever bring up Tom Niedenfuer's name to a Dodgers fan. Leading 5-4 in the top of ninth with runners on second and third and two outs, Tommy Lasorda elected to pitch to Jack Clark, St. Louis' only power hitter. He drills a long blast to left. Series. Over.

This is one of my favorites. The memory of coming home from school (7th grade) that day and watching the end of the game in the late afternoon seems to stick with me. The other specific moment I remember is Lasorda being absolutely irate in the dugout after the homer and knocking a water cooler off the bench.

I don't necessarily agree with the order of all of the items on the list, but it brought back some fun memories, and for that I think it was worthwhile.

nccwsfan
10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm glad to see the right game at #1, and the only switcharoo I'd make is Ortiz's HR #4, Henderson's HR #5, and Ozzie Smith's HR #7. I've never been more 'stunned' watching baseball than to watch the Angels lose that game. The Red Sox were the clear favorites going into that series, and I don't know how anyone could have imagined that they were going to dig out of a 3-1 series hole. Dave Henderson had some clutch HR's that offseason. That was a jaw dropping moment to me.

FWIW I thought A.J.'s play could have been up a few more spots, but all in all it was a good list.

Fenway
10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I've never been more 'stunned' watching baseball than to watch the Angels lose that game. The Red Sox were the clear favorites going into that series, and I don't know how anyone could have imagined that they were going to dig out of a 3-1 series hole. Dave Henderson had some clutch HR's that offseason. That was a jaw dropping moment to me.

As that game continued a bunch of my friends all wandered down to the Plough and Stars to cry in our pints. The loss the night before was horrific and now they were going out meekly.

I watched Baylor hit the home run but then Gene Mauch had a brain fart

I know this call by heart

The pitch . . . To left field and deep and Downing goes back...and it's gone! Unbelievable! You're looking at one for the ages here. Astonishing! Anaheim Stadium was one strike away from turning into Fantasyland! And now the Red Sox lead 6-5! The Red Sox get four runs in the ninth on a pair of two-run homers by Don Baylor and Dave Henderson. - ABC's Al Michaels

Headline in the LA Times the next day
Angels go from heaven to Boston :smile:

and Michael's ended Game 7 with
The Red Sox can go from last rites to the World Series...and they do!

Little did I know what was coming 10 days later :whiner:

Fenway
10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
This is one of my favorites. The memory of coming home from school (7th grade) that day and watching the end of the game in the late afternoon seems to stick with me. The other specific moment I remember is Lasorda being absolutely irate in the dugout after the homer and knocking a water cooler off the bench.

I don't necessarily agree with the order of all of the items on the list, but it brought back some fun memories, and for that I think it was worthwhile.

Can't forget what had happened earlier in that series....

Jack Buck: "Smith corks one into right down the line! It may go...! Go crazy, folks!! Go crazy!! It's a home run!! And the Cardinals have won the game...by the score of 3 to 2...on a home run by... the Wizard! Go crazy!"

Brian26
10-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Jack Buck: "Smith corks one into right down the line! It may go...! Go crazy, folks!! Go crazy!! It's a home run!! And the Cardinals have won the game...by the score of 3 to 2...on a home run by... the Wizard! Go crazy!"

I'm a big fan of Lenny Dykstra's quote the next year after he had a game winning homer in the '86 NLCS.

"I haven't done that since Strat-o-matic."

Grzegorz
10-13-2007, 12:03 PM
#'s 16 & 26 should be much higher...

RadioheadRocks
10-13-2007, 11:42 PM
My top 3
Being totally biased
5 Paulie's early inning bombs in Anaheim

that's the first thing I thought of too but it's not exactly a "moment".

Ok, how about Jose Contreras closing out his game to make four consecutive complete games by the White Sox... THAT would make it a "moment"!

Patrick134
10-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Ok, how about Jose Contreras closing out his game to make four consecutive complete games by the White Sox... THAT would make it a "moment"!

The complete games were awesome, but nothing will twist them into a "moment".

A. Cavatica
10-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Even though Tito Landrum was (and still is!) heartbreaking, you can't talk about Landrum without talking about Britt Burns' heroic effort. That one deserved to make the list ahead of some of those Yankee/Red Sox moments.

TommyJohn
10-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Even though Tito Landrum was (and still is!) heartbreaking, you can't talk about Landrum without talking about Britt Burns' heroic effort. That one deserved to make the list ahead of some of those Yankee/Red Sox moments.

Yeah, but where would baseball be without all those great Red Sox-Yankees
moments?

I am absolutely shocked, shocked I tell you, that
the Yankees-Red Sox epics have the most entries on this list. I'm sure the
authors of said list struggled hard to try and find some non-RSY moments
to put on that list. They probably cried when their editor told them that other
baseball teams exist in the world.

Fenway
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Sports Illustrated posted a smaller list

They published a Bartman photo that sheds a little more light on it.....in this photo HE ALONE is going for the ball while the other fans pull back

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0610/gallery.mlb.top.cs.moments/content.14.html

They also have a great AJ shot
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0610/gallery.mlb.top.cs.moments/content.16.html

October26
10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah, but where would baseball be without all those great Red Sox-Yankees
moments?

I am absolutely shocked, shocked I tell you, that
the Yankees-Red Sox epics have the most entries on this list. I'm sure the
authors of said list struggled hard to try and find some non-RSY moments
to put on that list. They probably cried when their editor told them that other
baseball teams exist in the world.

:roflmao: Love it! Thanks for the laugh. :rolling:

Oblong
10-15-2007, 01:03 PM

That's one of my favorite baseball calls of all time. The way Buck enunciates

And the Cardinals have won the game...by the score of 3 to 2...on a home run by... the Wizard

was poetic and something that's missing from today's breed of broadcasters.

As for Henderson. In "now I can die in peace", Bill Simmons talked about how much of a legend he would have been in Boston's history, not just sports history, if they'd have won the WS that year. Some clutch hits and HR's that run for Hendu.

Fenway
10-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Buck's best call ever.....maybe one of the best period by anyone

Gibson swings... and here's a fly ball to deep right field....

(Raises Voice) This is gonna be a Home Run!!!

(Raises voice even more) Unbelievable!!! A Home Run for Gibson, and the Dodgers have won the game... I don't believe what I just saw!! I don't BEE-LEEVE what I just saw......

Oblong
10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
I used to think that he said "and the Tigers have won the game..." because he got caught up in the moment, seeing as that was gibson's first year with the Dodgers and he forgot. After some debates and 1000's of listens, I'm only 50% convinced he says "Dodgers".

Fenway
10-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Here is a montage of Scully on NBC, Buck on CBS Radio and Don Drysdale doing local LA radio

http://webpages.charter.net/steveandjannan/Gibson!.wav (http://webpages.charter.net/steveandjannan/Gibson!.wav)

and the Buck call

http://www.wjbc.com/media/buck4.MP3 (http://www.wjbc.com/media/buck4.MP3)

PKalltheway
10-18-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm kinda suprised that Roberto Alomar's go-ahead home run off of Dennis Eckersley in Game 6 of the 1992 ALCS didn't get mentioned on that list.

TommyJohn
10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm kinda suprised that Roberto Alomar's go-ahead home run off of Dennis Eckersley in Game 6 of the 1992 ALCS didn't get mentioned on that list.
He didn't do it for the Red Sox or Yankees, so forget it.