PDA

View Full Version : I got a call on my cell phone.....

AZChiSoxFan
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
yesterday afternoon. It was from Eric Byrnes of the D-backs. It was one of those pre-recorded messages. I guess the d-backs had these calls go out to pretty much any phone number they had (they had mine from when I called to buy NLDS tix). The call was basically begging and pleading with people to buy tix for games 1 and 2 of the NLCS. :o: Byrnes must have felt pretty humiliated to make that recording.

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I heard there are still entire rows of seats available for Game 1.

SBSoxFan
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
yesterday afternoon. It was from Eric Byrnes of the D-backs. It was one of those pre-recorded messages. I guess the d-backs had these calls go out to pretty much any phone number they had (they had mine from when I called to buy NLDS tix). The call was basically begging and pleading with people to buy tix for games 1 and 2 of the NLCS. :o: Byrnes must have felt pretty humiliated to make that recording.

Have you seen some of the stuff he does for the FOX pre-game? I'd say this is pretty far above his humility threshold!

Fenway
I heard there are still entire rows of seats available for Game 1.

If they play Boston in the Series they won't have that problem. The Red Sox fans will buy everything

chisoxmike
:rolling:

That's embarrassing for the Diamondbacks.

Great fans.

itsnotrequired
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
:rolling:

That's embarrassing for the Diamondbacks.

Great fans.

Just like those stupid White Sox fans that won't even fill the stadium past 27,000 in late September, 2005 against a divisional foe only a couple games back.

:happybday

Jerko
10-10-2007, 01:30 PM
More proof why the Cubs were supposed to win. They have the best fanbase in baseball. In fact, I hereby rename Cub fan base "cubfanbaseball" because they are the bestest ever.

thomas35forever
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
If they play Boston in the Series they won't have that problem. The Red Sox fans will buy everything
If that's the case, I'm sure every Dbacks out there is rooting for the Tribe to advance instead. Red Sox Nation might the one fan base that follows their team on the road more than Cubs fans. I was at a Twins-Red Sox game last year at the Humpdome and I swear there must have been at least half a section on the third base side filled with Carmine fans. At least from where I was sitting, I could clearly hear the "Let's Go Red Sox" chants when their team was threatening one inning. If there is a Dbacks-Red Sox WS, the city of Phoenix is going to be embarrassed big time.

twentywontowin
10-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Simple solution to that, do it how the Bears do it. You can only buy tickets if you live in the area.

Problem solved for the most part.

DSpivack
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Simple solution to that, do it how the Bears do it. You can only buy tickets if you live in the area.

Problem solved for the most part.

Then they'll just get the tix in the second market.

Max Power
10-10-2007, 02:50 PM
What's the deal with the Diamondbacks' fan base? I've spent a total of two days in the Phoenix area during my lifetime and know pretty much nothing about it, but I assumed the 'Backs were reasonably popular. I figured all the fans they attracted in 2001 who had jumped off the bandwagon would be jumping back on it these days. Even the Marlins can draw crowds for playoff games.

Is it simply a case of everyone in Arizona already having a favorite team and not caring about the Diamondbacks?

MarySwiss
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
If that's the case, I'm sure every Dbacks out there is rooting for the Tribe to advance instead. Red Sox Nation might the one fan base that follows their team on the road more than Cubs fans. I was at a Twins-Red Sox game last year at the Humpdome and I swear there must have been at least half a section on the third base side filled with Carmine fans. At least from where I was sitting, I could clearly hear the "Let's Go Red Sox" chants when their team was threatening one inning. If there is a Dbacks-Red Sox WS, the city of Phoenix is going to be embarrassed big time.

What's the deal with the Diamondbacks' fan base? I've spent a total of two days in the Phoenix area during my lifetime and know pretty much nothing about it, but I assumed the 'Backs were reasonably popular. I figured all the fans they attracted in 2001 who had jumped off the bandwagon would be jumping back on it these days. Even the Marlins can draw crowds for playoff games.

Is it simply a case of everyone in Arizona already having a favorite team and not caring about the Diamondbacks?

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. IIRC, the playoff games in the first two rounds in 2001 didn't sell out quickly, but I don't remember hearing a lot of pro-Yankee cheering in the World Series.

And don't forget, Chase Field was supposed to become "Wrigley West" in the recent NLDS. Didn't happen. There were a lot of Cub fans there, but a lot more D'Backs fans.

chisoxmike
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Just like those stupid White Sox fans that won't even fill the stadium past 27,000 in late September, 2005 against a divisional foe only a couple games back.

Yeah, fair enough. At least we sold out the ALDS, ALCS, & World Series.

:party:

Hitmen77
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Oh come on, there is a HUGE difference between a regular season game and a League Championship Series game.

Yeah, in a perfect world the Sox would have had 40,000 on every single worknight/school night down the stretch in 2005. But the issues of generating walkup sales and comparisons to the Cubs have been beaten to death on this site. Playoff games and the demand they should generate are on a totally different level.

In case you forgot, the Sox totally sold out the ALDS and the ALCS within minutes of tickets going on sale.

There have been several cities that have had empty seats at playoff games, not just Phoenix. Atlanta and Cincinnati come to mind. I'm not sure what the explanation is because I can't imagine that happening in Chicago.

PKalltheway
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
:o: That's crazy! I can't believe that! I thought the Diamondbacks were more popular than that! I swear I remember a season where they drew like 3 million fans! What the hell is going on down there? Do people not care anymore or what?

ChiSoxFan35
10-10-2007, 10:07 PM

I will not make any comment since I think it's lame if someone rips our attendance, but no, it's not like that at all...

Still a little surprising, but it is a young franchise that is from a place where more people move to than are born from (don't know that stat exactly but I'd assume that)

itsnotrequired
10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, fair enough. At least we sold out the ALDS, ALCS, & World Series.

:party:

Oh come on, there is a HUGE difference between a regular season game and a League Championship Series game.

Yeah, in a perfect world the Sox would have had 40,000 on every single worknight/school night down the stretch in 2005. But the issues of generating walkup sales and comparisons to the Cubs have been beaten to death on this site. Playoff games and the demand they should generate are on a totally different level.

In case you forgot, the Sox totally sold out the ALDS and the ALCS within minutes of tickets going on sale.

There have been several cities that have had empty seats at playoff games, not just Phoenix. Atlanta and Cincinnati come to mind. I'm not sure what the explanation is because I can't imagine that happening in Chicago.

I will not make any comment since I think it's lame if someone rips our attendance, but no, it's not like that at all...

Still a little surprising, but it is a young franchise that is from a place where more people move to than are born from (don't know that stat exactly but I'd assume that)

Seems like there are some easily excitable folks in this thread.

Fenway
10-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Gut feeling. The DBacks gameday has a minor league feel to it. They promote family time at the park but once school is back those fans watching on TV.