PDA

View Full Version : New York writer laughs at the Flubs

Fenway
10-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Lisa Olson looks at Flub madness

CHICAGO - With the calendar of futility about to hit a century, America's most absurd sports team ought to be forbidden from ever again referring to itself as lovable losers.

Piniella's smartest hunch might have occurred before the season began, when he was all charming senility in his introductory press conference, talking about winning "on the South Side" (that's where the White Sox play, Lou), referring to the Michigan Mile (um, it's Magnificent Mile) and declaring he didn't care much that his team was allegedly haunted by "the horse."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/10/07/2007-10-07_lou_piniella_gets_his_taste_of_cubs_curs.html

SOXPHILE
10-10-2007, 10:32 AM
By the way, is this the same Lisa Olson who had a little "incident" in the New England Patriots locker room with Irving Fryar, Hart Lee Dykes and a few others, back in 1990 ?

Fenway
10-10-2007, 10:34 AM
By the way, is this the same Lisa Olson who had a little "incident" in the New England Patriots locker room with Irving Fryar, Hart Lee Dykes and a few others, back in 1990 ?

It is. The only good that came from that was the NFL ordered Victor Kiam to sell the team after he said it was her fault.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2007, 10:35 AM
By the way, is this the same Lisa Olson who had a little "incident" in the New England Patriots locker room with Irving Fryar, Hart Lee Dykes and a few others, back in 1990 ?:offtopic::hijacked:

TDog
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
:offtopic::hijacked:

Then I won't bother to inquire about the references I didn't understand.

Obviously, a team that has gone a long time without winning is a great story when they win (and I'm sure the White Sox would have been a great story if there were not a policy in place among many to ignore them and hope they will go away for the sake of the Cubs). But this year's Cubs didn't have a chance of becoming the 2004 Red Sox. It amazes me that more people don't see that.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Then I won't bother to inquire about the references I didn't understand.I just didn't want the thread heading off on that topic, which probably would get it roadhoused at the least, and closed with bannings at the worst.

TDog
10-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I just didn't want the thread heading off on that topic, which probably would get it roadhoused at the least, and closed with bannings at the worst.

Which is all I need to know anyway. I probably should have figured that out.

spawn
10-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Obviously, a team that has gone a long time without winning is a great story when they win (and I'm sure the White Sox would have been a great story if there were not a policy in place among many to ignore them and hope they will go away for the sake of the Cubs). But this year's Cubs didn't have a chance of becoming the 2004 Red Sox. It amazes me that more people don't see that.
I thought it was ridiculous that people thought

1. The '07 Cubs were a team of destiny
2. Compared them to the '06 Cardinals

I guess that's what happens when you drink in the Cubbie Kool-Aid too long. I'm really interested to see what happens after they've won a WS. They won't be able to use that loveable loser tag anymore, nor will they be able to use the curse as an excuse.