PDA

View Full Version : Official Rockies Bandwagon

QCIASOXFAN
10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm not usually an N.L. fan but I really like these Rockies. Climb aboard!

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Whomever wins the NLDS gets my support in the World Series.

QCIASOXFAN
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Whats happening here, this is the Official Rockies Bandwagon people.:nuts:

manders_01
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM

I've been on the Rockies bandwagon for 2 seasons now...does that count as bandwagon jumping? :?:

QCIASOXFAN
10-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I've been on the Rockies bandwagon for 2 seasons now...does that count as bandwagon jumping? :?:
You can drive if you want, either way is fine with me.:smile:

MarySwiss
10-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Whoops, sorry! Didn't realize only pro-Rockies posts were welcome. My bad ol' D'Backs post be gone!

manders_01
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
You can drive if you want, either way is fine with me.:smile:

Hmmmm...I better let you keep the wheel. I'm hoping to do a lot of celebrating! :gulp::gulp::gulp:

QCIASOXFAN
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Whoops, sorry! Didn't realize only pro-Rockies posts were welcome. My bad ol' D'Backs post be gone!
We bandwagon fans take stuff like this seriously.:tongue:

TDog
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm with you, Mary. Because of my ties to Arizona, I'm pulling for the Diamondbacks (although I probably won't watch any of the games). I've met Cint Hurdle a few times, and he didn't inspire me to support him. That might be unfair to the players, but the Diamondbacks are a great story as well.

I'm in the pulling-for-the-National League camp this year, however. If the Rockies beat the Diamondbacks, they will have my support.

TheOldRoman
10-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm with you, Mary. Because of my ties to Arizona, I'm pulling for the Diamondbacks (although I probably won't watch any of the games). I've met Cint Hurdle a few times, and he didn't inspire me to support him. That might be unfair to the players, but the Diamondbacks are a great story as well.

I'm in the pulling-for-the-National League camp this year, however. If the Rockies beat the Diamondbacks, they will have my support.Oh, come on. Wouldn't it just warm your heart to see the Red Sox break the curse of Derek Lowe?!

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh, come on. Wouldn't it just warm your heart to see the Red Sox break the curse of Derek Lowe?!

I'd rather refer to it as the Curse of Tony Graffanino! :cool::D:

DumpJerry
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry Mary, you guys already have a Trophy. It's the Rockies' turn.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Screw the entire National League, and the camel they rode in on.

DSpivack
10-10-2007, 12:54 AM

The only camel I was ever on tried to buck me off, but I can't stand the Indians or Red Sox. Thus, the NL (don't have anything against the DBacks or Rockies) it is.

pmck003
10-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Bought my Rockies hat a few months ago; only wear it to games/bars showing postseason rockies games.

Grzegorz
10-10-2007, 04:48 AM

No thank you; I'll stick with the junior circuit.

AZChiSoxFan
10-10-2007, 12:05 PM

I live in Phx, but it's hard to dislike this Rockies team. From the fact that a lot of their talent is homegrown (there's a concept KW!!) to the fact that they voted a full playoff share to Coolbaugh's widow, there's a lot to like about this Colo team.

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm on board.

Rocky Soprano
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Go Rockies!

QCIASOXFAN
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
No thank you; I'll stick with the junior circuit.
I thought the NL was the junior circuit.:?:

Sox It To Em
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Nope.

Foulke You
10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
My sentiments exactly! I hate the NL. I'll be rooting for Boston or Cleveland in the World Series.

PKalltheway
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Nope. The AL is referred to as the "junior circuit," and the NL is referred to as the "senior circuit." The names don't hold a lot of weight now, since both leagues are over 100 years old, but that's just what they've been called for a long, long time.

thomas35forever
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm on board, but there's something I feel I should bring up. They were talking about the Rockies tickets being sold for as low as $17 on CTL. Ed Sherman said the city of Denver doesn't deserve a baseball team if that's the case. Someone on here said Denver doesn't have a lot of disposable income. Why didn't they bring up the Arizona situation?

manders_01
10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
They were talking about the Rockies tickets being sold for as low as $17 on CTL.

Excuse my ignorance but what is CTL? Was it mentioned what series it was for (LDS or LCS)?

MarySwiss
10-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm on board, but there's something I feel I should bring up. They were talking about the Rockies tickets being sold for as low as $17 on CTL. Ed Sherman said the city of Denver doesn't deserve a baseball team if that's the case. Someone on here said Denver doesn't have a lot of disposable income. Why didn't they bring up the Arizona situation?

Again, IIRC this is the same thing that happened in 2001. The first two playoff rounds were slow to sell out.

Also, you guys need to consider that in many cases--including mine--the D'Backs are not the favorite team. They're my second-favorite, but if they were playing the Sox, guess who I'd be rooting for?

Factor in that this is one of the most drop-dead gorgeous times of the year, weather-wise. We're just coming off another scorching summer and people are out playing golf, jogging, etc.

And there isn't really any rivalry between the D'Backs and the Rox anyway.

Finally, I read somewhere that the D'Backs are setting up some kind of WS ticket lottery. I'll check it out, but if the prices are as obscene as I think they'll be, I'll do the same thing I did in 2001--invite friends over, set up a pregame buffet, and then we'll soak in my hot tub, sipping wine and watching the game under the stars.
As the baseball gods intended. :tongue:

TDog
10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is CTL? Whs it mentioned what series it was for (LDS or LCS)?

I was talking to a real estate broker the other day who said she was confused with a young couple she was working with because they kept text-messaging her. She had no idea what they were saying when typing in initials.

It must be a generational thing, but I find initials can be confusing.

I have no idea what CTL is. It took me a moment to realize that LDS was League Divisional Series. LDS without an A or an N in front of it is a religious reference that I wouldn't expect to see here. Even if I limited the initials to baseball, I would think WS stood for White Sox when most people would consider it the abbreviation for World Series.

MarySwiss
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I was talking to a real estate broker the other day who said she was confused with a young couple she was working with because they kept text-messaging her. She had no idea what they were saying when typing in initials.

It must be a generational thing, but I find initials can be confusing.

I have no idea what CTL is. It took me a moment to realize that LDS was League Divisional Series. LDS without an A or an N in front of it is a religious reference that I wouldn't expect to see here. Even if I limited the initials to baseball, I would think WS stood for White Sox when most people would consider it the abbreviation for World Series.

I'm guessing that "CTL" must be something like "Colorado Ticket Link."

thomas35forever
10-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm guessing that "CTL" must be something like "Colorado Ticket Link."
CTL is Chicago Tribune Live, a show on Comcast SportsNet.

manders_01
10-10-2007, 06:51 PM

My best friend and I always laugh at that Cingular (I think) commercial about the young girl texting so much. Without the closed captioning, we'd never know what she was typing. The really funny part though, is that my best friend is Jill and the girl in the commercial's BFF is Jill. I know - we are totally lame.

Anyways, sorry for the :hijacked:

MarySwiss
10-10-2007, 06:53 PM

I doubt that's what the CTL in question referred to. Why would they be offering tix to the Rockies/D'Backs series?

manders_01
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Ahhh - thank you.

Well, my reason for asking is that for those that don't know, Coors Field has a section called the Rockpile. Tickets to any regular season game are $4 - no matter who plays. For the NLDS, these tickets were $10 and for the NLCS they are $30. So if the tickets they speak of were for the NLDS, they were actually jacked up or possibly including the online fee.

IMO, it's commendable that the Rockies are trying to keep this everyday affordable area in the stadium affordable for the postseason as well.

y2j2785
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Lets Go Rockies!

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Go Rockies! At the core, I'm a Sox fan, but since moving to the Denver area I've started going to Rockies games just to watch baseball. And I noticed that they were actually pretty good. I thought that they were still a good starting pitcher away from being real contenders, but Ubaldo Jimenez and Franklin Morales are the real thing, and with the defense and offense, this is a good club.

Either way, I'm going to be rooting for the NL in the World Series. I've hated the Indians since Albert Belle and his corked bat took over the AL Central, and I can't stand Manny Ramirez or David Ortiz.

Please tell me where I can find this CTL, because tickets have been sold out here for quite a while, and are going for several hundred dollars for crappy seats on stubhub. Perhaps you were thinking of the D-Backs; I read that they still had around 8,000 seats left for Game 1 as of yesterday.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I just heard my boy Woody Paige (:rolleyes:) say on Around the Horn that 6 Rockies hitters hit above .300 this year!:o:

DSpivack
10-11-2007, 04:10 PM
I just heard my boy Woody Paige (:rolleyes:) say on Around the Horn that 6 Rockies hitters hit above .300 this year!:o:

I only count 4: Holliday at .340, Helton at .320, Taveras at .320, and Atkins at .301. Three more above .290, another at .288.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I only count 4: Holliday at .340, Helton at .320, Taveras at .320, and Atkins at .301. Three more above .290, another at .288.
I think he was counting pitchers and people with limited ABs because I got four also. **** just about there entire team hits above .285.:o:

DSpivack
10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I think he was counting pitchers and people with limited ABs because I got four also. **** just about there entire team hits above .285.:o:

Mackowiak led the White Sox with a .278 average, Thome was second at .275. Granted, there is a Coors Field effect, but either one would rank 9th on the Rockies.

manders_01
10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Please tell me where I can find this CTL, because tickets have been sold out here for quite a while, and are going for several hundred dollars for crappy seats on stubhub. Perhaps you were thinking of the D-Backs; I read that they still had around 8,000 seats left for Game 1 as of yesterday.

Listening to talk radio...they just has a Rockies fan on who drove down to the game, hoping to get some of these tickets. He said someone actually offered him a $60 ticket for 5 bucks!!! :o:

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Listening to talk radio...they just has a Rockies fan on who drove down to the game, hoping to get some of these tickets. He said someone actually offered him a $60 ticket for 5 bucks!!! :o:

Wow. I checked into getting tickets for the NLCS Game 3(unfortunately, I'll be out of town for Games 4 and 5 :angry:), and the tickets were out of my price range. It seems like Denver is way more excited about this than Phoenix.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I might have to have to take a roadtrip!:o:

manders_01
10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Wow. I checked into getting tickets for the NLCS Game 3(unfortunately, I'll be out of town for Games 4 and 5 :angry:), and the tickets were out of my price range. It seems like Denver is way more excited about this than Phoenix.

I paid more than I really wanted to but it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity so I figure what the heck.

My friends and I were joking that the Rockies playoff push is going to bust us. But it will so be worth it! :D:

MarySwiss
10-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Oh, I wouldn't say that! After all, it's been six years since the D'Backs last won the Series. :cool:

MarySwiss
10-11-2007, 06:28 PM

From what I hear, most of the tickets that were left were nosebleed singles. And according to chat on AzCentral.com, the main reason people are skipping this series is because of ticket prices. I paid $35 per ticket for the bleachers for Game #2 against the Cubs, but I believe they're going for $60 now.

Well, of course they are! They haven't won before, and they came out of nowhere to make the playoffs. Probably a month ago if you'd asked any of the "experts" if they thought the Rox would make the playoffs, never mind the NLCS, they'd have laughed in your face. If the D'Backs weren't my second-favorite team, I'd be on your bandwagon, too. But as it is...:smile:

Jjav829
10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Count me in! I'm a big fan of Holliday and I like a lot of the young players they have (Tulo, Hawpe, Francis, Morales). I think it would be great to see the Colorado Rockies win the World Series. I mean who thought this team would be in this position before the season? You can talk about the NL being weak all you want, but I can't imagine there were many people, including those in Colorado, who thought this team had a chance to win the World Series.

It would be a great story and it would be great for that franchise.

rookie
10-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Sorry Mary, you guys already have a Trophy. It's the Rockies' turn.

I was about to say that I'll defintitely be on the Rockies' bandwagon until they lose, but then I forgot that they are trophyless. Not that I want them to get the trophy, I guess I'd like Cleveland to. Have the Rockies ever been to the World Series.

That's how my dad feels and that's who I talk to every playoff series. Nobody I know is going to be watching the NCLS, so I guess I'll be on WSI. What if something amazing happens? I wanna see it live.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I was about to say that I'll defintitely be on the Rockies' bandwagon until they lose, but then I forgot that they are trophyless. Not that I want them to get the trophy, I guess I'd like Cleveland to. Have the Rockies ever been to the World Series.

That's how my dad feels and that's who I talk to every playoff series. Nobody I know is going to be watching the NCLS, so I guess I'll be on WSI. What if something amazing happens? I wanna see it live.
Ah tell the old man to get off the AL highhorse and watch the game.:rolleyes: I ****ing hate the NL but the Rockies are just to fun to watch and cheer for.:gulp:

manders_01
10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Have the Rockies ever been to the World Series.

The Rox have only been to the postseason 1 other time - 1995, the Braves took the series 3-1.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 10:53 PM
One down three to go!:gulp: This could be a sweep, they are playing that good.

Brian26
10-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Is that 18 out of 19 now? No matter what happens, they've been on one hell of an epic run.

QCIASOXFAN
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Is that 18 out of 19 now? No matter what happens, they've been on one hell of an epic run.
I think 18 but could be wrong. All I know is that they are hotter than ****.

manders_01
10-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Is that 18 out of 19 now?

Yep

Hendu
10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Just 7 more wins. C'mon, Rockies.

HomeFish
10-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Not that I want them to get the trophy, I guess I'd like Cleveland to.

So the Tribe fans can be even more obnoxious next year? I think I'll pass.

Soxfanspcu11
10-12-2007, 01:51 AM
to the fact that they voted a full playoff share to Coolbaugh's

Pardon my ignorance. Who is that?

Damn straight! Screw the Rockies and their "organization"! How dare they try and make tickets affordable to the hard working middle and lower class! Those people have no business being in the stadium in the first place! If you can't afford a $500 ticket or more, how dare you call yourself a "fan"! Stupid not rich people!!!:rolleyes:

Soxfanspcu11
10-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Oh yeah, just to mention, the Rockies will be making their first trip EVER to Comiskey Park in 2008, as part of interleague play!

Who knows, maybe they will be defending champs by then!

That would be CARAAAZZZZYYYYY!!!!!:o:

manders_01
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Pardon my ignorance. Who is that?

Damn straight! Screw the Rockies and their "organization"! How dare they try and make tickets affordable to the hard working middle and lower class! Those people have no business being in the stadium in the first place! If you can't afford a $500 ticket or more, how dare you call yourself a "fan"! Stupid not rich people!!!:rolleyes:

Mike Coolbaugh was the first base coach for the Tulsa Drillers (Rockies AA). He was hit in the neck with a line drive and killed. He left behind a pregnant wife and 3 and 5 year old little boys.

AZChiSoxFan
10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Mike Coolbaugh was the first base coach for the Tulsa Drillers (Rockies AA). He was hit in the neck with a line drive and killed. He left behind a pregnant wife and 3 and 5 year old little boys.

I guess the thing that impressed me so much about what the Rox did is that I have a friend who has a friend who starts for the Padres. I've heard that those meetings where the players decide who gets full and partial postseason shares are just absolutely cut-throat. For the Rox to make that decision totally impressed me.

palehozenychicty
10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
One down three to go!:gulp: This could be a sweep, they are playing that good.

When I watch these lads play, I keep thinking of the old Sox ad campaign of 1990.

"Who are these guys?"

Seriously, they are just playing at a crazy level right now. :D:

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-12-2007, 10:51 AM
The last time a team was this hot at the end of the year was way back in 2005, when the Chicago White Sox won the last 5 games in the regular season and then went 11-1 in the post season. :cool:

There are lots of other similarities between the Rox and '05 Sox. Both had good defense, which contributed to their strong pitching. Both won with a mixture of big and small hits. Both managed to find ways to win games that seemed unlikely. The Rockies have more home grown players, but the Sox had quite a few as well, especially on the mound.

Maybe KW will pay attention to the way this Rockies team plays, and go back to the basics that brought the Sox a championship.

DSpivack
10-12-2007, 11:06 AM
The last time a team was this hot at the end of the year was way back in 2005, when the Chicago White Sox won the last 5 games in the regular season and then went 11-1 in the post season. :cool:

There are lots of other similarities between the Rox and '05 Sox. Both had good defense, which contributed to their strong pitching. Both won with a mixture of big and small hits. Both managed to find ways to win games that seemed unlikely. The Rockies have more home grown players, but the Sox had quite a few as well, especially on the mound.

Maybe KW will pay attention to the way this Rockies team plays, and go back to the basics that brought the Sox a championship.

I don't know about that. The Rockies won Game 1 of the LCS. :tongue:

Fenway
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
This is refreshing. The Rockies will not put World Series tickets on sale unless they are in.

The general on sale for the 2007 World Series games potentially played at Coors Field October 27, 28 and 29 will start at 10:00 AM MDT on Monday, October 22, 2007. Tickets will be available in person at the Coors Field Ticket Office, Rockies Dugout Stores, and online at www.coloradorockies.com. Telephone orders will not be accepted.

As done in the past, a line lottery system will be used at both Coors Field and the Dugout Stores. Overnight camping is not permitted; Lot A will open at 7:30 AM where the lottery line will be formed prior to the 10:00 AM on sale. There will be a limit of 4 tickets per person per game at all sales locations and tickets can be purchased on a game by game basis. Service charges will apply to all sales. Prices range from $65 for Rockpile tickets (401-403) to $250 for Infield Box (119-142) and the Club Level (214-247).

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071009&content_id=2258768&vkey=pr_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

Fenway
10-13-2007, 10:59 AM
People forget that even with this insane run the Rockies have made they needed help to get in.

If Tony Gwynn Jr doesn't get that 2 out, 2 strike triple against San Diego 2 weeks ago......San Diego would have won the wild card.

RadioheadRocks
10-13-2007, 08:49 PM
With all due respect to everyone who's rooting by league allegiance, I really don't care for Cleveland or the Red Sox at all, so that being said, Go Rockies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gogosox16
10-13-2007, 09:23 PM
With all due respect to everyone who's rooting by league allegiance, I really don't care for Cleveland or the Red Sox at all, so that being said, Go Rockies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second that

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-14-2007, 03:10 PM
People forget that even with this insane run the Rockies have made they needed help to get in.

If Tony Gwynn Jr doesn't get that 2 out, 2 strike triple against San Diego 2 weeks ago......San Diego would have won the wild card.

True, but at the same time, the Padres went 11-3 against teams not from Colorado during the last 2+ weeks of the season (1 loss to the Giants, 2 to the Brewers). They faced the Rockies 4 times during that stretch, and lost Colorado won all 4. They also won 7 against the Dodgers, who were ahead of them in the standings when the streak began, and two of three against the D-Backs. So although they did need a little help, they did most of it on their own.

soxfan26
10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

I went to game 3 of the NLDS where they let Coolbaugh's young sons throw out the first pitch(es). It was very nicely done and there were several people in section 312 reaching for tissues.

Their entire run has been incredible, I hope they can pull it off!

manders_01
10-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I went to game 3 of the NLDS where they let Coolbaugh's young sons throw out the first pitch(es). It was very nicely done and there were several people in section 312 reaching for tissues.

I told my girlfriend I went with that I would probably cry and she scoffed at me. After the pitches, I looked over and she had tears in her eyes too. It was a very touching moment.

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2007, 07:58 PM

I think that there is a much higher percentage of true Denverites in Denver than Phoenix natives in Phoenix. Phoenix is Florida West, where tons of people retire to. When you're actually from the city, your passions and excitements for your city's teams tends to be much more powerful.

DumpJerry
10-15-2007, 06:35 AM
I think that there is a much higher percentage of true Denverites in Denver than Phoenix natives in Phoenix. Phoenix is Florida West, where tons of people retire to. When you're actually from the city, your passions and excitements for your city's teams tends to be much more powerful.
:?:

chisoxfanatic
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
:?:
What do you mean ":?:"? When you're actually FROM the city whose teams you root for, of course your passion will run deeper...It's called civic pride. Phoenix has one of the highest percentages of transplants from other cities, so of course there won't be nearly as much passion for their teams than other cities like Denver with a far fewer transplant percentage.

DSpivack
10-15-2007, 10:11 AM
What do you mean ":?:"? When you're actually FROM the city whose teams you root for, of course your passion will run deeper...It's called civic pride. Phoenix has one of the highest percentages of transplants from other cities, so of course there won't be nearly as much passion for their teams than other cities like Denver with a far fewer transplant percentage.

Perhaps not as many as Phoenix, but Denver has plenty of transplants.

DumpJerry
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Perhaps not as many as Phoenix, but Denver has plenty of transplants.
I hear both cities have good hospitals.

SBSoxFan
10-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Obviously we're talking heart transplants here then. :redneck

DSpivack
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I hear both cities have good hospitals.

:kneeslap:

TDog
10-15-2007, 07:03 PM

You're right, I'm sure. There are transplants in every big city. There are a lot of people who transplant to Chicago. If they are casual baseball fans, they tend to gravitate toward the Cubs. If they have a beloved childhood team, they may only go to the ballpark when their favorite team is in town. There are a lot of people living in Phoenix who grew around Chicago and care a heck of a lot more about the Cubs (or White Sox) than they do about the Diamondbacks.

As we know, Chicago wasn't united behind the White Sox in 2005. For that matter, Chicago wasn't united behind the Cubs this year. Neither Phoenix nor Denver are united behind their teams. Demographics would indicate Denver is more united than Phoenix is.

What I find odd in your argument, though, is the term "Denverites." I've never heard the team before. It may be what people in Denver call themselves, but it doesn't have the natural feel that "Chicagoans" does.

People in Phoenix, of course, are Phoenicians. If they drive down to Yuma, they will meet up with people who are only Yuman.

DumpJerry
10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I thought it was Denvurians. Or is it Mile High People?

DSpivack
10-15-2007, 09:31 PM

:peace::smokin:

The Rockies may about to go the World Series, but it seems to me the Broncos will always be #1 in Denver. Thinking about the Rockies or Diamondbacks it may seem the cities aren't as "united" in rooting for the respective teams, but when rooting for the Suns or Broncos it would seem they are more "united." Although that may just be the case that the latter two teams are much older and established.

whitesoxwilkes
10-15-2007, 10:37 PM

I think it's Denverzens.

FJA
10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I think it's Denverzens.

The always reliable Wikipedia has spoken:

Residents of the city and county of Denver are known as Denverites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver,_Colorado

QCIASOXFAN
10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
:bandance: Right when I get home and turn on the game my Stones get a 2 out clutch hit! Kaz Matsui coming up HUGE!

ilsox7
10-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Wow. Four unearned runs!

QCIASOXFAN
10-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Holliday with a blast! :o::bandance:

QCIASOXFAN
10-16-2007, 01:25 AM
I hope the Red Cubs beat the Tribe so they can be swept by the Rockies!!

Soxfanspcu11
10-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Oh wow! I didn't realize that that is who that was.

I remember reading about that and thinking about how shocking and terrible that was. I mean, what a freak thing to happen. Words can not describe how horrible that must have been for everyone involved.

What a great gesture by the Rockies players, that is truly amazing.

Someone in this thread also mentioned that they had his sons throw out the first pitch, that is VERY classy.

Obviously, nothing can change what happened, but the way the Rockies organization responded to that tragedy is very impressive.

The more I hear and see them, both on and off the field, the more I like them.

Speaking of which, the Northwest Indiana newspaper, "The Times", which serves Northwest Indiana and the south suburbs, ran an interesting article today(Monday) about the Rockies.

Apparently, one of their top scouts, Mr. Dar Cox is from the area. He is a 1969 graduate of Wirt in Gary. The article is actually pretty good, if you want to check it out, go to www.nwi.com/sports (http://www.nwi.com/sports) It's worth the read.

Kilroy
10-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I fly into Denver twice a year to visit extended family out that way. I've been a Broncos fan since 1986. I've been to Coors Field a time or two...

Hell yeah I'm on the Rockies bandwagon!

That said tho, I don't have the hate for the Jndians like I did back in the Albert Belle era. They have a lot of players that I just like watching. I wouldn't mind seeing them win it either. But if its between those two... Go Rockies!

Hitmen77
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Front page of today's Denver Post and Rocky Mtn News:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/pop_up.asp?fpVname=CO_DP&ref_pge=map&tfp_map=USA

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/pop_up.asp?fpVname=CO_RMN&ref_pge=map&tfp_map=USA

spawn
10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I am officially on the bandwagon. What they are doing right now is simply amazing. I still don't believe they'll beat either Cleveland or Boston, but a couple of months ago I didn't think they'd be in the playoffs. Anything can happen. Go Rockies!!!

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I am officially on the bandwagon. What they are doing right now is simply amazing. I still don't believe they'll beat either Cleveland or Boston, but a couple of months ago I didn't think they'd be in the playoffs. Anything can happen. Go Rockies!!!
I think they could! They're the hottest team in the history of baseball! I just hope the long lay-over won't negatively effect them. Hopefully they can win the World Series! Go Rockies!!!

spawn
10-16-2007, 01:08 PM
I think they could! They're the hottest team in the history of baseball! I just hope the long lay-over won't negatively effect them. Hopefully they can win the World Series! Go Rockies!!!
Oh, I didn't say I didn't think they could beat them. They definitely have a shot, and I will be pulling for them! :gulp:

QCIASOXFAN
10-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I can't wait for the small time Rocks to slay the mighty Boston Red Saux. Go Rockies!

Scottiehaswheels
10-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Go Rockies!

thomas35forever
10-21-2007, 11:10 PM
If there is an Almighty in Heaven, the Rockies will win this series. Please!:praying:

peeonwrigley
10-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Between BC, the Patriots, the Red Sox, and the wall-to-wall coverage the Celtics will get this year I'm getting pretty sick.

DSpivack
10-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Between BC, the Patriots, the Red Sox, and the wall-to-wall coverage the Celtics will get this year I'm getting pretty sick.

What's funnier, as a few others have pointed out:

In 2007,
Ohio State Football: Loses Title Game to Florida
Ohio State Basketball: Loses Title Game to Florida
Cleveland Cavaliers: Get Swept in NBA Finals vs. the Spurs
And now the Indians choke job.

Nellie_Fox
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
NL wild card VS the insufferable Red Sox. I officially don't care who wins the WS.

chisoxmike
10-21-2007, 11:56 PM
GO ROCKIES!!!!!!!

soxfanreggie
10-22-2007, 12:24 AM
That definitely is a bad year for them. It's like if you're a Buffalo fan and they lose all 4 Super Bowls in one year. However, LeBron and Co. overachieved. Making the finals was a great accomplishment for them. However, look to see his teams struggle in the future IF he commands huge money and takes up too much of his team's payroll. If I were him, I'd try to work out a good deal that leaves some room freed up for other players. If I'm sitting with over $100 million in the bank, I would much rather sacrifice a few million in pay for a better shot at winning championships. I know the player's union would hate for him to do that, but it's what I would do as a player in his situation.

DSpivack
10-22-2007, 12:57 AM
That definitely is a bad year for them. It's like if you're a Buffalo fan and they lose all 4 Super Bowls in one year. However, LeBron and Co. overachieved. Making the finals was a great accomplishment for them. However, look to see his teams struggle in the future IF he commands huge money and takes up too much of his team's payroll. If I were him, I'd try to work out a good deal that leaves some room freed up for other players. If I'm sitting with over $100 million in the bank, I would much rather sacrifice a few million in pay for a better shot at winning championships. I know the player's union would hate for him to do that, but it's what I would do as a player in his situation.

The NBA isn't MLB. In the newer CBA, with a salary cap (even a soft one) and more importantly max contracts, you can with with your star players making tons of money. The Lakers did it with Shaq and Kobe, the Spurs with Duncan, etc. Even in baseball, last year Pujols certainly was making a lot, and Manny even moreso in 2004.

RadioheadRocks
10-22-2007, 01:07 AM
What's funnier, as a few others have pointed out:

In 2007,
Ohio State Football: Loses Title Game to Florida
Ohio State Basketball: Loses Title Game to Florida
Cleveland Cavaliers: Get Swept in NBA Finals vs. the Spurs
And now the Indians choke job.

Hey... ho... way to go, Ohio...

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-22-2007, 01:21 AM
GO ROCKIES!!!

Even if I didn't live in Denver, I'd be rooting for the NL team to beat the Red Sox. I don't think I'll be able to stand it if they win.

I think the Rockies have a chance, though. The Red Sox are beatable. Becket might not be (though the Rox sure kicked his but in June), but Schilling, Matsuzaka, and Wakefield definitely are. We have the better bullpen and defense, and if we can keep Ortiz and that idiot Ramirez from doing too much damage, I think we can pull it off.

Soxfanspcu11
10-22-2007, 01:52 AM
GO ROCKIES!!!

Even if I didn't live in Denver, I'd be rooting for the NL team to beat the Red Sox. I don't think I'll be able to stand it if they win.

I think the Rockies have a chance, though. The Red Sox are beatable. Becket might not be (though the Rox sure kicked his but in June), but Schilling, Matsuzaka, and Wakefield definitely are. We have the better bullpen and defense, and if we can keep Ortiz and that idiot Ramirez from doing too much damage, I think we can pull it off.

While Beckett is a damn good pitcher, I really believe that the Indians made him look a lot better than he really is. I mean, it seemed like Cleveland just gave up when they knew that they would have to face Beckett. There really is no excuse for a team to be so ineffective against a particular starting pitcher. Particuarly a team with the offensive talent of Cleveland.

I could understand Cleveland being owned by Beckett in his first start against them, but the second time, in Game 5, they should have learned some lessons and made some proper adjustments. They did neither and allowed Beckett to have his way with them.

And I agree with you that the Rockies do have to find a way to deal with Ortiz and Ramirez, but let's not forget that Boston has some other pretty good players. I mean, look at what JD Drew alone did in Game 6!

As always, it is going to come down to pitching. And a stat that I just heard was really amazing. During the first half of the season, the Rockies had one of the worst ERA's in the entire league (both National and American). Since the All-Star Break, it has improved dramatically.

During their incredible run in late September and the playoffs, their starting pitching has been at somewhere around 2.00 ERA.

HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?

I mean, did these guys just now discover that they could pitch??? What was holding them back this entire time?!?!?

Baseball is such an amazing and strange game! WHO ON EARTH would have thought that the Colorado Rockies would be in the World Series back in June?!?!?

They looked like there were right on their way to finishing in last place again, and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they look like the best team in the league!!!!! It's enough to make me go :?: and :o: and:?:

VenturaFan23
10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
After last night, I just became a huge Rockies fan now. Cinderalla vs. the Real Evil Empire......

**** Boston
**** FOX
GO ROCKIES!!!!

Bucky F. Dent
10-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Go Rockies!!!!

October26
10-22-2007, 11:20 AM
GO ROCKIES!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! and Yes to your post. I am an AL fan but this year's winner does not inspire one to root for them. The Red Sox Nation will be even more obnoxious now than they ever were in the past. I agree with you that keeping Ortiz and the Ramirez contained is important. But, I also think that keeping the rookies in check (Pedroia and Ellsbury) is key. Their speed brings a different element to the Red Sox than just the Ortiz/Ramirex bashers. Lastly, it is imperative that the Rockies take advantage of the no Designated Hitter factor when the games are played in Colorado's NL ballpark. The Red Sox have a ton of DH's who hit for power in their line-up. One of them (probably Ortiz) will not be in the lineup when they play in Denver. If the Rockies can win a game in Boston, then I believe they have an advantage over Boston going back for games 3 and 4 in the NL park. And as others have stated, it will be interesting to see the impact that the long stretch of no games has on the Rockies team. Go Rockies!

4 days 'til October26's sig update time ...

viagracat
10-22-2007, 11:36 AM
My dad's side of the family came from Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, so I've always been partial to Rocky Mountain teams. So yeah, I'm a Broncos, Rockies, etc fan and have been for as long as there's been teams there. My dad told me while growing up in Denver in the 1940s and 50s everyone there were Cardinal fans since KMOX (and Harry Caray back when he was articulate) was the only radio feed they could get in those days.

DSpivack
10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
My dad's side of the family came from Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, so I've always been partial to Rocky Mountain teams. So yeah, I'm a Broncos, Rockies, etc fan and have been for as long as there's been teams there. My dad told me while growing up in Denver in the 1940s and 50s everyone there were Cardinal fans since KMOX (and Harry Caray back when he was articulate) was the only radio feed they could get in those days.

A friend of a friend is from western South Dakota, and her family are huge Cardinals fans for that reason.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
As always, it is going to come down to pitching. And a stat that I just heard was really amazing. During the first half of the season, the Rockies had one of the worst ERA's in the entire league (both National and American). Since the All-Star Break, it has improved dramatically.

During their incredible run in late September and the playoffs, their starting pitching has been at somewhere around 2.00 ERA.

HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?

I mean, did these guys just now discover that they could pitch??? What was holding them back this entire time?!?!?

Baseball is such an amazing and strange game! WHO ON EARTH would have thought that the Colorado Rockies would be in the World Series back in June?!?!?

They looked like there were right on their way to finishing in last place again, and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they look like the best team in the league!!!!! It's enough to make me go :?: and :o: and:?:

A big reason for the change in pitching was the rookies. Ubaldo Jimenez and Franklin Morales are the real deal. Morales set a club record of 20 consecutive scoreless innings, and he only had like 8 starts. Jimenez throws upper 90's with a good slider and a big curve in the mid 70's. His only problem seems to be nibbling when he's in trouble. Also, Francis has been a very good pitcher for a couple of years, but goes through periods of inconsistency. He's been good lately.

Their bullpen is important too. Colorado has the pen that KW thought he was getting. They have some experienced vets with closing experience (Hawkins, Affeldt, Herges), some young guys (Corpas, Speier), and everything in between. I feel like I would trust any one of those guys in a tight situation. Overall, I think the pen might even be a little better than the '05 Sox pen based on the depth of the talent.

I thought before the season that the Rockies could compete in the NL West this year. They had a poor April and early May, but they turned it around at the end of May and never looked back.

Here's to four more wins! :gulp:

TDog
10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
A friend of a friend is from western South Dakota, and her family are huge Cardinals fans for that reason.

The reason is probably KMOX radio. Years ago, the Cardinals were the team from Missouri to the Rockies because of the signal of their flagship station and their radio network. Harry Caray was their cheerleader. The Cardinals had some great players and great teams in the day.

In the mid-1960s, the Dakotas became Twins country after the transplanted Washington Senators became a winning team. A decade later, the Royals started winning and became huge west of Missouri. In the 1980s, the entire country started turning into Cubs fans, although the Cubs have long been the quintessential losing team. People blamecredit WGN TV, but the Braves broadcast more games on more cable outlets than the Cubs, they won more games than the Cubs and they never developed much of a national following.

viagracat
10-22-2007, 02:02 PM
In the 1980s, the entire country started turning into Cubs fans, although the Cubs have long been the quintessential losing team. People blamecredit WGN TV, but the Braves broadcast more games on more cable outlets than the Cubs, they won more games than the Cubs and they never developed much of a national following.

I'd venture to guess that had the Cubs been a strong franchise filled with hotshot ballplayers instead of being the Keystone Kops of MLB during the evolution of national broadcasting, this national adoration never would've happened, at least not to the extent that it has. It's easy to pull for the underdog. I imagine that tradition of frustration and losing is also part of the "Red Sox Nation" allure, although personally I never bought into any of that crap.

manders_01
10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Ya know what I realized the Rockies need that they don't have...the lights on the skyscrapers lit up to say "GO ROX"!

Someone needs to get on that! :D:

QCIASOXFAN
10-24-2007, 11:59 PM
One game isn't the end of the world. If we get a WIN tomorrow we will be sitting pretty going into Denver! IT CAN BE DONE!:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2007, 12:21 AM
One game isn't the end of the world. If we get a WIN tomorrow we will be sitting pretty going into Denver! IT CAN BE DONE!:gulp:
Holy crap. Now COLORADO is WE??

QCIASOXFAN
10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
It's been we since the start of this this bandwagon thread. Ride or die!:Rocker:

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2007, 12:49 AM
It's been we since the start of this this bandwagon thread. Ride or die!:Rocker:How about if I just give you the "up nod" as you roll by?

C-Dawg
10-25-2007, 12:48 PM

I'll get a Rockies logo tattooed to my forehead before I root for the Red Sox. This is just about the only thread on this forum (outside of "Sox Clubhouse" that is) that hasn't gone "all Red Sox, all the time". I've really cut back the amount of time I've been spending here because even threads about other teams wind up with gratuitious Red Sox references in them.

:angry:

QCIASOXFAN
10-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I'll get a Rockies logo tattooed to my forehead before I root for the Red Sox. This is just about the only thread on this forum (outside of "Sox Clubhouse" that is) that hasn't gone "all Red Sox, all the time". I've really cut back the amount of time I've been spending here because even threads about other teams wind up with gratuitious Red Sox references in them.

:angry:
Sweet Jebus.:mg: You hate you some Red Cub.

Nellie_Fox
10-26-2007, 12:30 AM

:angry:I just don't care who wins the WS. As I said before, I can't root for the insufferable Red Sox even though I'm an AL guy through and through. I can't root for the Rockies because not only are they NL, they're a wild card team, and I hate the wild card. I haven't watched either game. Tonight I watched a college hockey game.