PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Bell becomes minor league field coordinator for Sox

Sockinchisox
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Instead of retiring, Buddy has become the minor league field coordinator for the Sox.

He was going to become a senior advisor to Moore for the Royals, but he wanted a lesser role and this is going to be it.

eriqjaffe
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-0&fp=470bb40fe342c09e&ei=y-4LR7DIAoXSpgLZh8X4AQ&url=http%3A//www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/309907.html&cid=1121927423

It's true, it's all true!

Foulke You
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Didn't Buddy Bell work in the Sox organization during the 80s?

The Immigrant
10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Didn't Buddy Bell work in the Sox organization during the 80s?

91-93.

MCHSoxFan
10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Link: http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_ne...ory/309907.html

MCHSoxFan
10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Bell leaving Royals to become White Sox’s minor-league field coordinator
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
Mod edit: Sorry the link did not work, but that does not mean we can violate the copyright laws by posting a major portion of the article.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
According to both Chicago Tribune Live! and Comcast SportsNet Buddy Bell has accepted a position as one of the White Sox minor league field coordinators.

That means he'll be at spring training in part to teach fundamentals.

This is a very good move by the organization.

Bell was an exceptionally good 3rd baseman both offensively and defensively (Roland Hemond tried very hard to get him in trade to the Sox before the 83 season), he knows baseball and is a fine teacher.

Bell and Jeff Cox.....mmmmm maybe fundamentals ARE finally going to made a focal point this season. (hopefully with consequences to those who can't or won't comply with them)

Lip

Domeshot17
10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93607

chisox77
10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
First the subtle but important moves, then . . .

Lip Man 1
10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Dome:

Sorry. I don't read the minor league section.

Forgive me.

Lip

Brian26
10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Bell was an exceptionally good 3rd baseman both offensively and defensively (Roland Hemond tried very hard to get him in trade to the Sox before the 83 season), he knows baseball and is a fine teacher.

There were always rumors about this back in '82 and '83, and Hemond confirmed those at Soxfest a couple of years ago. You wonder what he would have had to give up back then to get Bell, and how it would have changed the dynamic of the team. I assume Bell would have been penciled in at thirdbase with Vance Law remaining at shortstop. Would Hemond have had to give up Dotson to get him? It's fun to think about it.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Roland also tried very hard to pry Bill Caudill from the Mariners and Ron Davis from the Twins after Jim Kern blew his arm apart in the 2nd game of the season at Texas to no avail also.

Lip

Domeshot17
10-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Dome:

Sorry. I don't read the minor league section.

Forgive me.

Lip

Lip

No problem, was just letting you know there was a thread on it.

Dome

LITTLE NELL
10-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Named White Sox Director of Minor Leagues. Good luck Buddy, we need some good prospects. Please make sure these guys learn how to bunt and hit and run and all the other fundementals.

Frontman
10-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a smart move. Now, we need to get the players who will play "follow the leader" and work on fundamentals.

A. Cavatica
10-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Named White Sox Director of Minor Leagues. Good luck Buddy, we need some good prospects. Please make sure these guys learn how to bunt and hit and run and all the other fundementals.

And walk and hit doubles and home runs!

Rocky Soprano
10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I like this move!

soxinem1
10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Too bad he wasn't named the new 3B coach.

MCHSoxFan
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
I like this move!

Me too!!! :D:

KyWhiSoxFan
10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure how much I like this. I hope it works out ....

but I'm not that comfortable grabbing another guy from the worst organization in baseball and thinking he has all the answers and a track record that shows great player development. The Royals have been terrible for decades (and we really thumped them this past year, huh). Why look to that organization for help (the same one that brought us Sisco and MacDougal, thank you) when there are other organizations better known for developing talent and teaching fundamentals?

Lip Man 1
10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Ky:

Buddy was in the Sox organization once before and helped develop guys like Ordonez and Cameron.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
10-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Ky:

Buddy was in the Sox organization once before and helped develop guys like Ordonez and Cameron.

Lip

That's good to know. The Sox have had a lot of problems in the last decade developing players who continued to improve in their second and third years in the majors and beyond. All too many seemed to peak at a level below expectations, and just position players but also pitchers.

Frater Perdurabo
10-11-2007, 06:06 AM
That's good to know. The Sox have had a lot of problems in the last decade developing players who continued to improve in their second and third years in the majors and beyond. All too many seemed to peak at a level below expectations, and just position players but also pitchers.

Right.

I don't know enough to be certain that Bell is going to fix things (although I think he will), but I'm most encouraged by the fact that the Sox recognize a weakness in their organization and are trying to fix it.

Mohoney
10-11-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't know enough to be certain that Bell is going to fix things (although I think he will), but I'm most encouraged by the fact that the Sox recognize a weakness in their organization and are trying to fix it.

They seem to be going into things with a better mindset, looking for people that meet specific criteria.

A sizable group of posters have recently been clamoring for more money to be allocated to scouting and player development, and I think the point is valid. But you can throw all the money in the world at a problem, and without the right people in place, that money can just end up wasted.

I'm hoping that the recent hires of Buddy Bell and Jeff Cox is a step in the right direction. Maybe we can start getting better returns on our investments.

wassagstdu
10-12-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm not that comfortable grabbing another guy from the worst organization in baseball and thinking he has all the answers and a track record that shows great player development. The Royals have been terrible for decades (and we really thumped them this past year, huh). Why look to that organization for help (the same one that brought us Sisco and MacDougal, thank you) when there are other organizations better known for developing talent and teaching fundamentals?
The Royals have a hard time hanging on to talent but seem to do a good job developing it. I have seen some quality players come through their A-level Wilmington team on the way to ML, but not many play for the Royals.