PDA

View Full Version : TBS's coverage of the ALDS & NLDS...

EastCoastSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:25 PM
...how does everyone rate their coverage (studio, play-by-play, color commentators, etc.), considering that this is their first crack at the baseball postseason?

Compared to ESPN and Fox I thought it was quite refreshing...

Mr.1Dog
10-09-2007, 03:32 PM
...how does everyone rate their coverage (studio, play-by-play, color commentators, etc.), considering that this is their first crack at the baseball postseason?

Compared to ESPN and Fox I thought it was quite refreshing...

Couldn't agree more...

SpartanSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:34 PM
For the most part, I have to say it has been decent. Frank can make my ears bleed at times alongside Ernie Johnson and Cal Ripken in the studio. The play-by-play and commentary has been good, although it seems to be a who's-who of former Flubbie announcers.

AZChiSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I liked the two crews they had doing the series in the AL.

The crews for the NL, not so much...

Ex-Chicagoan
10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I thought I heard Frank Caliendo has a new show. Anyone know anything about it?

Actually, the TBS coverage was a refreshing change from all of the sound effects, glitz, and Joe Buck.

Rocky Soprano
10-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I thought I heard Frank Caliendo has a new show. Anyone know anything about it?

Actually, the TBS coverage was a refreshing change from all of the sound effects, glitz, and Joe Buck.

I liked it as well.

Who is this Frank guy, I've never heard of him?
While the promos were funny, they played way too many. They are worse than Fox at plugging their shows.

mrfourni
10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I still don't like Chip Carey. Brenly and Gwynn made the broadcast better, but Chip is just terrible in my opinion.

dakuda
10-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I hate all of the extra crap on Fox, so this is better.

FoulkeFan
10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I still don't like Chip Carey. Brenly and Gwynn made the broadcast better, but Chip is just terrible in my opinion.

I agree. Chip doesn't know when to shut up and let the other guys get a word in.

gobears1987
10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I liked TBS. It didn't have all the NY Boston BS.

FedEx227
10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I really liked it. Refreshing to not have to hear constant Red Sox/Yankees or TV-show cross-promotions up the ass (we had Frank TV but nowhere near as bad as Fox).

I'd say a B overall, but A+ compared to ESPN/Fox.

Foulke You
10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
No doubt, Fox and ESPN have terrible announce teams so there was only room for improvement on TBS over boobs like Chris Berman, Joe Morgan, Tim McCarver, and Joe Buck.

However, I like ESPN and Fox's production values better. For starters, TBS's status bar is too busy. I don't like how they cram their own logo and MLB's logo on it. I also don't like the little arrow indicator for the top or bottom of the inning. I prefer it to say "Top 6" or "Bot 5". The arrow was too small. and the number font they use is terrible. The 8s, 0s, and 6s are all blurry and difficult to distinguish. I have a 36" Sony Vega which has great resolution so I can only imagine how much someone with an older TV had to squint to make out the score or inning.

Also, the TBS feed seemed to be a bit jumpy and erratic at times. Many times during the Cubs/Dbacks games and Red Sox/Angels games I noticed the screen freeze up for a split second several times during the broadcast. Also, during last night's Yanks/Indians tilt, the on field camera that follows the player down 3rd base after a home run was not working well. The picture got all pixely and broken up.

I don't know, maybe I'm too picky but I actually think ESPN and Fox do a better job from a production standpoint. (minus the stupid sound fx that Fox uses) However, I definitely agree that the announce teams don't have the east coast slant and weren't nearly as annoying as Fox or ESPN.

rookie
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
However, I like ESPN and Fox's production values better. For starters, TBS's status bar is too busy. I don't like how they cram their own logo and MLB's logo on it. I also don't like the little arrow indicator for the top or bottom of the inning. I prefer it to say "Top 6" or "Bot 5". The arrow was too small. and the number font they use is terrible. The 8s, 0s, and 6s are all blurry and difficult to distinguish. I have a 36" Sony Vega which has great resolution so I can only imagine how much someone with an older TV had to squint to make out the score or inning.

I don't know, maybe I'm too picky but I actually think ESPN and Fox do a better job from a production standpoint. (minus the stupid sound fx that Fox uses) However, I definitely agree that the announce teams don't have the east coast slant and weren't nearly as annoying as Fox or ESPN.

I agree. I also didn't like all the colors they were using on the bar as well. There was too much going on.

I liked the two crews they had doing the series in the AL.

The crews for the NL, not so much...

I agree. I don't know which announcers did which crews, but the AL crews sounds just fine to me. The NL crews seemed a little dry, or maybe I'm just thinking of that first tiebreaker game.

PKalltheway
10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I've liked it. I don't particularly care for that Don Orsillo fella who was calling the Rockies/Phillies series, but as far as everything else goes, I like it.

Oblong
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Seemed like when they came back from a commerical the pitcher was either in his windup or the pitch was alreadyon the way. But that could just be a timing thing that they have to work out.

Don't care for the little thing showing how far they lead off. It's not really relevant or necessary.

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Also, the TBS feed seemed to be a bit jumpy and erratic at times. Many times during the Cubs/Dbacks games and Red Sox/Angels games I noticed the screen freeze up for a split second several times during the broadcast. Also, during last night's Yanks/Indians tilt, the on field camera that follows the player down 3rd base after a home run was not working well. The picture got all pixely and broken up.

Seemed like when they came back from a commerical the pitcher was either in his windup or the pitch was alreadyon the way. But that could just be a timing thing that they have to work out.

Don't care for the little thing showing how far they lead off. It's not really relevant or necessary.

Still not nearly as bad as what we see on a daily basis watching games on Comcast Sports Net.

It was refreshing not hearing the typical East Coast bias. I'll be watching more of the NLCS than the ALCS. I bet Cleveland gets no respect from FOX.

WSox597
10-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Posted by Oblong: Seemed like when they came back from a commerical the pitcher was either in his windup or the pitch was alreadyon the way. But that could just be a timing thing that they have to work out.

That was annoying, but when WGN broadcasts the Sox games they do that all the time. They have to be the worst station for commercials. Several times, I've seen it where you actually missed the first pitch of the inning, and the ball was coming back to the pitcher.

Fenway
10-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I thought TBS got better as the series continued.

Don Orsillo is a good announcer but was lost doing a National League game and Chip is having the same problem with the AL teams.

chisoxmike
10-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I thought TBS got better as the series continued.

Agreed. The first few games I watched seemed like they were still learning things.

I like the points people made about the lack of stupid SFX and little graphics in the lower corners that would pop up on FOX.

I also liked sometimes they didn't go to commericals, they went to the studio for a break down of the game so far, then went right back to the game.

sox1970
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Agreed. The first few games I watched seemed like they were still learning things.

I like the points people made about the lack of stupid SFX and little graphics in the lower corners that would pop up on FOX.

I also liked sometimes they didn't go to commericals, they went to the studio for a break down of the game so far, then went right back to the game.

Can't wait for Scooter to tell me what a changeup is on Friday.

SOXPHILE
10-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm willing to give TBS a little bit more leeway, as this is their first postseason. They do have some kinks to work out, but for some reason, it really doesn't bother me as much as FOX. I am thankful, as others have mentioned, that we don't have the annoying graphics and sound effects SWOOOSHING all over the screen, and Zippy the baseball, or whatever his name was, explaining to me what a curveball is. Of all the announcers, I think Chip Caray was the worst, but his time in Atlanta seems to have curtailed his LOUD BOMBASTIC announcing and overacting over every simple thing. It's still there, but I haven't been treated to any "SWUNG ON BELTED TO LEFT FIELD AND it's caught by Kenny Lofton..." Dick Stockton was pretty bad, but not annoying, he is what he is. Any post season without Tim McCarver is automatically better.

ChiSoxFan35
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I liked it, they gave each team good coverage

The HD was very good. I actually like the top score bar.

The worst part were the announcers. Simpson is boring. Same with the guy paired with Stone. Brenly is captain obvious. Gwynn added nothing. I know Caray is a funny bad nerd, but I'm guessing the rest of the country will just take him as bad (and it was over the top at times, already mentioned in the other Yankee threads).

On the flipside, I liked ESPN Radio's announcers, but I'm too lazy to synch up or turn the radio on. Other networks also have their share of bad commentators though, and it isn't THAT big an issue with me, I can ignore or lower it, so overall I enjoyed the TBS coverage

pierzynski07
10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
What's with all this TBS love?

Their top crew covered the Yankees series and gave that series and the Red Sox series the best broadcast schedules. And you're saying there's no bias?
You hate all the little "effects" from FOX. And yet, TBS's score bug morphes into the transistion replay bumper, which is way more "sexy" than FOX's.
FOX doesn't use a line to show how far of a leadoff a runner has. It's informative, but also annoying.
Save for EJ, the studio shows were awful.The broadcasts were fine, and I agree that they generally got better as they went along. But to say they were good because it wasn't FOX/ESPN is laughable because there was A LOT of similarities in the broadcasts.

thedudeabides
10-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Still not nearly as bad as what we see on a daily basis watching games on Comcast Sports Net.

It was refreshing not hearing the typical East Coast bias. I'll be watching more of the NLCS than the ALCS. I bet Cleveland gets no respect from FOX.

It's already started on Fox. The first promo I saw Fox referred to the Tribe as the underdog Cleveland Indians. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they finish the season with the same record as the almighty Red Sox? It must be because they lost a game in the first round.

What I liked about the TBS broadcast was their lack of trying to create controversy, which happens to be Joe Buck's specialty. If a call was questionable, they addressed it, gave their opinion and moved on.

oeo
10-11-2007, 10:41 AM
FOX doesn't use a line to show how far of a leadoff a runner has. It's informative, but also annoying.

I don't find that dumb thing informative or annoying. It's pointless...I can live with it being there, but why is it there again? It's just a dumb idea, and should be scrapped ASAP.

Fenway
10-11-2007, 10:47 AM
FOX this morning is showing off the new improved Scooter who is now in HD

Mohoney
10-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not going to say that TBS did a horrible job, but I will say that it's pretty sad that baseball can't get these games on network TV, with big-time announcers.

Playoff baseball doesn't have enough drawing power to pre-empt crappy network sitcoms?