PDA

View Full Version : Chip Caray gets slammed by NY Times

Fenway
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
OUCH

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sports/baseball/09sandomir.html?_r=2&ex=1349668800&en=b2d6a67ece449bb0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

The writer picks up on something I noticed from the other night

Caray does not distinguish a go-ahead run from a winning run. In Cleveland on Friday, he said the Indians had the winning run on second base in the bottom of the eighth, and he put the Yankees in the same position in the top of the ninth. Wrong. He also believes that a runner on second will automatically score on a single. Not always.

How the heck do you score the winning run in the 8th inning????

eriqjaffe
10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
How the heck do you score the winning run in the 8th inning????A go-ahead run can be a winning run.

Fenway
10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
A go-ahead run can be a winning run.

Yes but you don't know that THEN

It is the go ahead run period

DumpJerry
10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
ahhhh.....the offseason.

sox1970
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Agreed! I thought the same thing.

twentywontowin
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM

I did notice he always refers to the go-ahead run as the winning run. Probably just a habit.

sox1970
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I did notice he always refers to the go-ahead run as the winning run. Probably just a habit.

He should break that habit ASAP.

Max Power
10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Good article. This is why I hate Chip Carey:

That attitude led him on Sunday, after Rodriguez’s first hit of the series, to say, “And here come the Yankees!” A-Rod went back to the bench on Jorge Posada (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/jorge_posada/index.html?inline=nyt-per)’s double play.
After Damon’s run-scoring single in the third, he said, “And here they come!”
No, they didn’t: Jeter promptly grounded into a double play.

He's always talking about if so and so can hit a home run and a then they hit a few more home runs then they'll be winning. Cut the wild speculation and talk about what's actually happening.

wilburaga
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Or at least the potential winning run.

I also don't like it when announcers say a team is 'winning' or 'losing' at various stages of the game. They're ahead or behind.

Sandomir is straight shooter who has had it with Carey's loose with the facts attitude.

W

PatK
10-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I forgot how terrible he is.

i've never seen someone get so excited for routine fly balls and ground outs.

Fenway
10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Or at least the potential winning run.

I also don't like it when announcers say a team is 'winning' or 'losing' at various stages of the game. They're ahead or behind.

Sandomir is straight shooter who has had it with Carey's loose with the facts attitude.

W

A lot of this lies at the producers hands...

They were showing the Yanks-Cleveland game on the scoreboard Friday at Fenway and when Chip said Bob Feller was the oldest living Hall of Famer ( player ) the Boston crowd went nuts.

That honor belongs to Bobby Doerr as a player ( Lee McPhail as an executive is the oldest )

Steelrod
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Ever see a Cub fan?

MarkyBear
10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I caught that too and mentioned something to my wife about it...I just chalked it up to a mistake, no one's perfect, but I didn't get so torn up about it as the NY Times has...:rolleyes:

Sockinchisox
10-09-2007, 05:07 PM
OUCH

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sports/baseball/09sandomir.html?_r=2&ex=1349668800&en=b2d6a67ece449bb0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Caray does not distinguish a go-ahead run from a winning run. In Cleveland on Friday, he said the Indians had the winning run on second base in the bottom of the eighth, and he put the Yankees in the same position in the top of the ninth. Wrong. He also believes that a runner on second will automatically score on a single. Not always.

Rain?

bigfoot
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
OUCH

A host of locust, or Canadian Warriors, or those pesky gnats(whatever they're called)?

FedEx227
10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
He's always talking about if so and so can hit a home run and a then they hit a few more home runs then they'll be winning. Cut the wild speculation and talk about what's actually happening.

:farmer
"Three bloops and a blast and this is a ballgame folks"

MarySwiss
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm surprised he didn't hold up a "Hire me, NY" sign at some point (unless he did and I missed it).

monkeypants
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I noticed that Chip had a little of his grandpa's sense of judging fly balls on Monday night. One of the Yankees hit a fly ball to right field and Chip quips "shallow fly ball to right and Gutierrez camps under it right in front of the warning track." A ball hit a step in front of the warning track is shallow huh?

MrRoboto83
10-09-2007, 11:51 PM
You could tell Chip, Bob and Tony knew nothing about the American League. Chip kept talking about how "nobody knows about all these Cleveland star players" :?:

chisoxfanatic
10-10-2007, 12:07 AM
You could tell Chip, Bob and Tony knew nothing about the American League. Chip kept talking about how "nobody knows about all these Cleveland star players" :?:

That's where TBS made their mistake. You shouldn't put people who only really broadcast NL games to broadcast an AL game. That's immediate grounds for a bad broadcast.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2007, 01:22 AM
I noticed that Chip had a little of his grandpa's sense of judging fly balls on Monday night. One of the Yankees hit a fly ball to right field and Chip quips "shallow fly ball to right and Gutierrez camps under it right in front of the warning track." A ball hit a step in front of the warning track is shallow huh?In Yankee Stadium, yeah.

I especially loved it when Chip would announce Jeter coming to bat with "and here's 'the captain'."

SOXSINCE'70
10-12-2007, 08:17 AM

I know I don't miss this one on shallow fly balls that
die at the warning track:

:chimp
'SWUNG ON AND BELTED!!":puking:

Oblong
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
That's where TBS made their mistake. You shouldn't put people who only really broadcast NL games to broadcast an AL game. That's immediate grounds for a bad broadcast.

Couldn't they do what, you know, we do here and at other MB's all day long? Follow baseball? Talk about it with others. Watch other teams. Learn about the players. Debate the best way of measuring performance.

Most of us are doing it as a hobby, it's not our job to know these things. If we can do it then I would expect a professional who is paid to talk about baseball to do the same things, at a minimum.

FarWestChicago
10-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Couldn't they do what, you know, we do here and at other MB's all day long? Follow baseball? Talk about it with others. Watch other teams. Learn about the players. Debate the best way of measuring performance.

Most of us are doing it as a hobby, it's not our job to know these things. If we can do it then I would expect a professional who is paid to talk about baseball to do the same things, at a minimum.You know, you have a pretty good point there. :D:

pierzynski07
10-13-2007, 11:04 AM
At the same time, there's a reason they're in a broadcast booth, and you're on a message board. Not always for the right reasons, but they're there, and we're here.

FarWestChicago
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
At the same time, there's a reason they're in a broadcast booth, and you're on a message board. Not always for the right reasons, but they're there, and we're here.:chimp

I'm glad you got my back, buddy!! It's die hard Chimp fans like you who keep me in the announcers chair!

Fenway
10-13-2007, 11:53 AM
:chimp

I'm glad you got my back, buddy!! It's die hard Chimp fans like you who keep me in the announcers chair!

What I find staggering is the huge amount of factual errors he is making.

example
Good faith - the presumption that viewers aren't stupid - has become a rarity. In Game 4 of Indians-Yankees, Mike Mussina replaced Chien-Ming Wang. On TBS, Chip Caray stated that Mussina this year made his first-ever relief appearance. Then, with dramatic emphasis, Caray added what many knew to be wrong: This is "the first time, ever" Mussina has relieved in the postseason.

A few pitches later, Caray, as if he'd never said anything to the contrary, casually mentioned that, "Mussina has also pitched in relief in the postseason, that came in 2003, vs. the Red Sox; he went three innings and gave up no runs." Oh. "Frank TV," apparently, could only be found in TBS promos.

Throughout Yankees-Indians, Caray's cliche-soaked work, from overstating the obvious - "The Yanks can't afford to allow any more runs" - to his inability to grasp situations - stating "the winning run is at second" in the bottom of the eighth - to his disinclination to correct large errors, to his inability to pronounce Bayonne (had he really never heard of Bayonne?), made for a stack of awful.

FarWestChicago
10-13-2007, 11:56 AM
What I find staggering is the huge amount of factual errors he is making.

exampleWhile sober, Chimp can make his hammered grandfather look like a Nobel prize winner.

chisoxfanatic
10-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Most of us are doing it as a hobby, it's not our job to know these things. If we can do it then I would expect a professional who is paid to talk about baseball to do the same things, at a minimum.

I would think that it might be better for the playoff teams to have their home broadcasters broadcast games during the playoffs. No broadcasters know a team better than their own broadcasters. Have the home team's broadcasting unit feed to that team's market, as well as the rest of the nation, except for the road team's market, who would get their team's broadcasters instead. Denver, and the rest of the nation, except for Phoenix, would get tonight's game via the Rockies' broacasting unit, while Phoenix keeps their team's broadcasting unit, for example.

I tend to be a bigger fan of the individual teams' broadcasting units over the national broadcasters anyways.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
I noticed that Chip had a little of his grandpa's sense of judging fly balls on Monday night. One of the Yankees hit a fly ball to right field and Chip quips "shallow fly ball to right and Gutierrez camps under it right in front of the warning track." A ball hit a step in front of the warning track is shallow huh?

I noticed that exact same call. Usually annoucers cover by saying something like "and that carries a bit farther" or whatever. Chip just let it go. Content to be just wrong.

In general, Chip sounded lost, as though hucksterism was his only refuge. I don't know why.

RadioheadRocks
10-14-2007, 09:38 PM

A go-ahead run can be a winning run.

Agreed! I thought the same thing.

:cleo

"Hey Chip, I'm after YOUR job, mon!"

wdelaney72
10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I find Chip Caray "fun bad".

"A gullywasher here in Chicago."
"Oh, bon jur!"

As far as his constant "if so and so hits a home run here..." we get that constantly from our very own Ed Farmer. :rolleyes:

Fenway
10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
The NY Post piles on....

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/10152007/sports/calling_out_caray_a_chipshot.htm

Friday's Game 1 of Indians-Red Sox on Fox had ended, so we switched to Rockies-Diamondbacks on TBS, in time to see the last out in the bottom of the second, a strikeout, after which Caray said, "A leadoff double by Tony Clark and then [Ubaldo] Jimenez comes in and starts throwing smoke."

Huh? Why would the Rockies bring in a reliever up, 1-0, in the second? Did their starter get hurt? And wasn't Jimenez supposed to start? So now we're in a sudden rewind mode to find out what Caray was talking about. Why, after Clark led off with a double, would Jimenez "come in"?
Turns out Jimenez had started. He hadn't come in after the double to Clark. It was just more Chip Caray talk-talk.

PennStater98r
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I've never seen someone get so excited for routine fly balls and ground outs.

I can think of a relative of his that used to - mind you - he thought they were all game winning shots out of the park though.