PDA

View Full Version : Boras: If A-Rod opts out this is what I expect

Fenway
10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
:o:

*Listen (http://espn-mp3-od.andomedia.com/stations/1367/071003_arod_tv.mp3): Scott Boras on Alex Rodriguez' value to a TV network.
*Listen (http://espn-mp3-od.andomedia.com/stations/1367/07103_boras_hits.mp3): Scott Boras on Alex Rodriguez becoming the all-time hit king.
*Listen (http://espn-mp3-od.andomedia.com/stations/1367/071003_boras_agency.mp3): Scott Boras says the value of free agency will be higher to Alex Rodriguez than any player ever.

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/sectional?id=sportsclicker (http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/sectional?id=sportsclicker)

Boras, known as one of baseball's shrewdest and most hard-nosed negotiators, tipped his hand Monday as to what negotiations would be like if Rodriguez opts out. He said he will tell prospective bidders that Rodriguez could play until he is 45, which will allow him to not only become baseball's all-time home run king, but also the all-time hits leader. If those accomplishments are within reach, Boras said he will argue that Rodriguez will be worth somewhere between a half-billion and a billion dollars over a decade to a team's regional sports network.

"One of the other things that Alex has that some of the other things that Alex has that few players have is he has network value," Boras said. "That means for a regional sports network he has an impact on in that may allow that regional sports network to increase by a half-a-billion to a billion dollars over a 10-year period because of the ratings increase that he will bring. His fan base will subscribe to that network to watch him play and they will sell more advertising. This has certainly been evidenced in New York."

JorgeFabregas
10-09-2007, 01:33 PM
That's hilarious. No one's going to buy that.

BeeBeeRichard
10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
In addition, A-Rod's presence will affect the gravitational forces of the Earth. Channeled correctly, this power can allow all of his team's games to be played at night, in prime time (no matter their location or scheduled starting time), and command a premium rate on all advertising.

Rocky Soprano
10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Just dont expect him to do **** in the playoffs.
That will cost you more.

The Immigrant
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Boras added that Rodriguez may need to miss parts of next season while he negotiates lasting peace in the Middle East.

Steelrod
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
The Texas Rangers are keeping their fingers crossed!

soxfanatlanta
10-09-2007, 01:54 PM
This has certainly been evidenced in New York."

You got to be ****ing kidding me. Does he have any statistical evidence of a direct correlation between the two? I think not.

Steelrod
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
It's perfect!
Boras buys the Cubs, signs A-Rod, and then immediately sells out for 2 billion!

Domeshot17
10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, actually. I would have to see a lot of business models drawn up and a hell of a lot of projections but this may not be as big of a reach as people think.

Alex Rodriguez has a shot if he stays healthy to become the all time HR king and Hits leader, there is truth to that. I dont know if he can play until 45, but he may.

But factor this in, put Arod in a still large market, say, The White Sox anyone hehe (I still dont think it happens tho because of Kenny and Boras).

Now instantly Arod becomes the number 1 selling jersey in chicago. Win or lose, Arod probably brings in a TON of season ticket value (both with the idea of winning and the idea of seeing him break all kinds of records). Then add in the advertising space people will be paying to watch Arod break these records (think about the technical advances that will happen in a few years when the home run thing comes in site, its possible you could have every ESPN channel and maybe more breaking in as well as internet sites to watch every at bat). Then you have all the marketing that can come come from the all time home leader, hits leader playing in your city. A lot of things have to go right for all this to happen, but it almost turns into MJ on the Bulls. Look at how the Value of the White Sox almost doubled after winning a world series. If you have Arod bring another series or 2 to chicago, break the records, build that following plus the combo of winning records and Arod being the Icon he is will bring over more latin american fans and probably steal plenty the cub fans a long the way, you could almost foresee how 1 player could realistically make the White sox worth 3-5 times as much as they were when he retires. You also factor in you have the biggest name in sports on your team in your city. He becomes the number 1 player draw. ITs kind of like how JR would pay Jordan in the 30 millions a year when his career ended, but he would make almost 100 million a year off him (forget the exact amount, did a case study on this in a management course in college years ago).

The truth is Arod has more Value for the White Sox then he does the Cubs. Lets say for the White Sox he could hit that 500 mil in earned revenue and double in size, he doesn't do that to the cubs. Not too many fans will jump ship to the cubs for Arod because our fan base is already smaller but more loyal. The cubs sell out everything anyway, we do well not that kind of attendance. Advertisers pay more to be aired during Cub games because they usually draw a higher tv rating.

Im not saying any of his is for sure and if he doesnt break the records or gets hurt and doesnt win you a world series (like Griffey in Cincy) then none of this happens. But I could actually see how signing him to a 10 year-350 million dollar deal might actually pay for itself.

Now as for hitting those records over a course of 10 years Arod would to average the following to break each one (and Im going to to say Bonds ends at 800 after next year, stretch, but just to make it nice and round)

Arod needs 2006 hits over the next 10 years to break the record. that basically means he has to average 201 hits a year, he has only hit 200 hits in 1 season 3 times and hasnt recently. now over 11 years he needs 183 hits which is about his career average and 12 years 162 hits. He is 32 I believe now, so You see where Boras says he has to play until 45 to break the hits record. Now if he wraps up his 10 year deal and is 300 hits short, I would have to assume unless he is really broken he will play 2-3 more years to break that record.

For home runs its almost too easy. saying he needs 801 he has 518 now he has to average between 28 and 29 a year for those 10 years (283 short). Now its hard to see a 42 year old hitting 29 homers a year, but keep in mind in our hitters park, If Arod can hit (or average) 45 a year for the first 5 years, he will need to hit just 12 a year over the last 5 to break the record.

the real long shot is say he plays 12 more years to break the hit record, if he averages 40-41 homers a year over those 12 years he could hit 1000 home runs.

Boras is actually right here, this is a guy who if you gave him another 250-400 mil deal might actually MAKE YOU twice as much as that.

roylestillman
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Man, I can't wait to sit with my $26 beer and $18 Kosher and watch A-Rod.

Juan Uribe come back all is forgiven.

DumpJerry
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
In an unrelated development, Florida officials announced today that they will be draining several thousand acres of swampland. Contact the Borass Real Estate Agency for a prospectus on how to get in on the ground level of this exciting new investment opportunity.

SBSoxFan
10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Boras is actually right here, this is a guy who if you gave him another 250-400 mil deal might actually MAKE YOU twice as much as that.

Fine. If Boras really believes that, then he should have no problem tying ARod's salary to said increased revenue to the team.

TommyJohn
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
In an unrelated development, Florida officials announced today that they will be draining several thousand acres of swampland. Contact the Borass Real Estate Agency for a prospectus on how to get in on the ground level of this exciting new investment opportunity.

Worth a try, I think.

And remember, coffee is for Closers.

asindc
10-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Fine. If Boras really believes that, then he should have no problem tying ARod's salary to said increased revenue to the team.

I actually like this idea. I would think at least one GM will bounce the idea off Boras. Would love to see his reaction to that.

soxfanatlanta
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM

I was trying to make that point. Going after the baseball operation's money is one thing; going after the owner's overall business portfolio (cable, etc) is a whole new level. How many teams would cough up that much coin for one player? If ARod options out of the contract, it will be a very interesting story this off season (in addition to what KW does with the Sox)

TDog
10-09-2007, 02:39 PM

I heard Bill Veeck say in an interview that he tried to bring free agent Reggie Jackson to the 1977 White Sox with a similar deal, that would have conferred on him part ownership in the team. Reginald Martinez Jackson and his agent politely turned Veeck down, no doubt stifling laughter, and signed with the Yankees for an unheard of $2.96 million over five years.

The referenced Mr. Boras demand is ridiculous for a business standpoint, at least from the employer's perspective. It is evidence as to why some teams don't do much dealing with Mr. Boras.

DumpJerry
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
That deal would probbaly not happen because no owner would guarantee such a contract in the event of an injury of any type. No way Boarass would allow ARod to sign a non-guaranteed contract.

Max Power
10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
But factor this in, put Arod in a still large market, say, The White Sox...

Yep, that's pretty much my opinion as well. The Sox have become much more popular since 2005, but now we need a big off season to continue the momentum. Signing A-Rod would be that big off season. I still doubt it will happen, but I'm sure JR will look into it.

SBSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:15 PM
I heard Bill Veeck say in an interview that he tried to bring free agent Reggie Jackson to the 1977 White Sox with a similar deal, that would have conferred on him part ownership in the team. Reginald Martinez Jackson and his agent politely turned Veeck down, no doubt stifling laughter, and signed with the Yankees for an unheard of $2.96 million over five years.

The referenced Mr. Boras demand is ridiculous for a business standpoint, at least from the employer's perspective. It is evidence as to why some teams don't do much dealing with Mr. Boras.

Wasn't that the first tact Boras tried? And didn't people around here say that was against MLB rules?

In real life, it's not completely ridiculous; it's called profit sharing. Of course, this isn't real life.
I was trying to make that point. Going after the baseball operation's money is one thing; going after the owner's overall business portfolio (cable, etc) is a whole new level. How many teams would cough up that much coin for one player? If ARod options out of the contract, it will be a very interesting story this off season (in addition to what KW does with the Sox)

Changing the rules so drastically for one employee can't be good for the company (team).

soltrain21
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Yep, that's pretty much my opinion as well. The Sox have become much more popular since 2005, but now we need a big off season to continue the momentum. Signing A-Rod would be that big off season. I still doubt it will happen, but I'm sure JR will look into it.

No, he won't. He already got burned by these two once.

SpartanSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Boras is definitely king of the assclowns. Don't be surprised if the other side of town is dumb enough to cater to his ridiculousness.

Fenway
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Boras is definitely king of the assclowns. Don't be surprised if the other side of town is dumb enough to cater to his ridiculousness.

Boras learned a long time ago you only need 1 owner to play

AZChiSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised. In fact, my prediction is that come Feb 2008, we'll see A-rod in Mesa suiting up for the Orphans.

Steelrod
10-09-2007, 03:52 PM
They'll back load the contract,
5 milion
10 million
25 million
50 million
100 million
200 million

getonbckthr
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I tell Boras fine you guarentee 500 million in revenue how about this 10 years no concrete dollar amount but a percentage of the yearly profit of the organization. So lets say they agree to 10% and the team makes 100 million profit he gets 10 million. If the team makes 500 million profit he gets 50 million for that season. If he gets injured for that season you figure the euilavent value of games played to 162 games.

TDog
10-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Wasn't that the first tact Boras tried? And didn't people around here say that was against MLB rules? ...

I don't know what Mr. Boras first suggested. I only know what Bill Veeck said. And Because Mr. Veeck was first and foremost a self-promoter, I'm not even sure what he said was truthful. I'm sure that what it sounded like Mr. Veeck had proposed would be illegal now. Maybe he was simplifying a complicated deal that included shares of the team that would be held in a trust until retirement. Worse than having a player play for a team he owns would be a player playing against a team he owns, so the player would never be able to play for another team. Maybe Mr. Veeck proposed something outrageous and unacceptable so he could publicly say he tried to bring Reggie Jackson to Chicago.

With the money he saved, he was able to ink Royle Stillman AND Timmy Nordbrook.

There are reasons that the collective bargaining agreement would forbid players from being compensated based on team revenues.

nccwsfan
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised. In fact, my prediction is that come Feb 2008, we'll see A-rod in Mesa suiting up for the Orphans.

If people think the Cubs get too much love/press/kudos now, imagine what would happen if A-Rod actually signs with them.....my oh my.

Rocky Soprano
10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
With the money they are paying Soriano and the contract extension they just gave Zambrano, plus all the other money they spent last off season.

I dont see how they could afford A-Rod. Especially with the team on the sale block.

But if it does happen, it will only make it sweeter when they still keep on losing.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
At a billion dollars, does this mean the Sox don't have much chance to sign him?

Dick Allen
10-09-2007, 07:15 PM
**** Scott Borass.

A. Cavatica
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't see how any team can afford him -- it's pretty much admitting that you are going to build a team around his pursuit of the HR record instead of your team's pursuit of a title.

TDog
10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't see how any team can afford him -- it's pretty much admitting that you are going to build a team around his pursuit of the HR record instead of your team's pursuit of a title.

And if you think that's healthy, just look at the Giants.

thomas35forever
10-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Only a team with a big market/payroll is going to land him. If he cares more about the record than about the team however, I don't see how anyone will be interested.

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Boras is already making his demands, that usually never ends well.
Just for the hell of it (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62761&highlight=fisksucks)
It's getting likely that A-Rod will opt out of his contract, but I think because he wants to win and not Boras, A-Rod will have the final say.

A. Cavatica
10-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Only a team with a big market/payroll is going to land him. If he cares more about the record than about the team however, I don't see how anyone will be interested.

Even a team with a big payroll has to make sacrifices to fit his salary in. If he's really done in New York, I don't see him getting another $250 million deal.

DumpJerry
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Whatever team that signs better realize that they will have plenty of free time on their hands every October. How they will be able to sign enough of a supporting staff around him is a mystery to me. Can any team afford what Borass wants and then 3 quality starters and a quality closer? You also need more than just one (ARod) quality position guy in the field. The alleged increased revenue would have to really, really big to overcome the increased expense of his salary to leave enough left over for other star players.

I give Borass and ARod a big "whatever."

getonbckthr
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I look at teams like Milwaukee, NYM (Reyes or Wright to 2nd), Seattle, Detroit or any other team that was close. They have to ask themselves is this the guy to get us over the hump? Is a possible title this year or next worth being in financial hell for the 8 years after?

StillMissOzzie
10-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Perfect response, and fat chance. In the Bora$ world, we have:
A-Rod: Risk-free contract for $50M/year for 10 years (the half billion cited)
Sucker MLB club: On the hook for ALL the risk of said increased advertising revenue, increased network ratings, A-Rod staying healthy, etc.

Fair solution, then, is to tie A-Rod's compensation to these increased revenue streams. Bora$ probably doesn't want such a risk/reward payoff.

This reminds me of another Bora$ claim, that Greg Maddux was worth so much because, as a pitching "coach", he makes the other pitchers on the staff better. He cited some arcane stats that "proved" this line of thinking. What he COULDN'T prove is any correlation between the observed stats and the CAUSE of the effect he saw. He saw a statistical blip and decided it was due to his client.

SMO
:mad::angry:

voodoochile
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
The beautiful thing about this from Boras's perspective is all he has to do is get the same contract as last time and ARod is fine and dandy. Why wait to see how he ages over the next 5 years or whatever is left on the current contracts, when he can opt out, sign another 10 year 250M contract and net $125M extra revenue.

And that's the low end figure. Boras is shooting for the stars if all he gets is the moon (again) he's doing just fine...

jabrch
10-10-2007, 05:53 AM
But factor this in, put Arod in a still large market, say, The White Sox anyone hehe (I still dont think it happens tho because of Kenny and Boras).

If you are really serious, I can give you 300 million reasons why he won't come here that has absolutely nothing to do with "Kenny and Boras". He won't come here because the Sox won't spend 1/3 of their payroll on ONE player.

fquaye149
10-10-2007, 09:13 AM
It doesn't seem likely to me that A-Rod will get a 500 million dollar contract, but it doesn't seem impossible that he would get a 300 million--30 a year for 10

voodoochile
10-10-2007, 09:22 AM
It doesn't seem likely to me that A-Rod will get a 500 million dollar contract, but it doesn't seem impossible that he would get a 300 million--30 a year for 10

I don't think Boras is asking for $500M. I think he's saying that ARod will bring in that much ADDITIONAL revenue to the team who signs him, so people should be willing to open their checkbooks for big money because they really can't lose financially by signing him.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Those overpaying, drive up the price Flubs are licking their flops

fquaye149
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
well then 300 million would be a "bargain"

I remember an article a while back about A-Rod's deal with Texas--that Texas was able to secure a 250 million dollar tv deal strictly BECAUSE of A-Rod signing there to appeal to the large Hispanic audience in the DFW area. Now, the deal would have still likely been fairly high, but not 250 million-high....that means, essentially (since NY is paying a large pct of the contract now) that the Rangers might have MADE money off the A-Rod deal, especially when you consider increased attendance, merchandise sales, raised ticket and concession prices, parking, etc.

If another team could swing a deal like that it might make even 30 million a year seem affordable (hint hint Brooks...or whoever the hell's in charge of that **** here)

D. TODD
10-10-2007, 10:30 AM
30 million a year will be the starting point! He will get at least that.

spiffie
10-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Whatever team that signs better realize that they will have plenty of free time on their hands every October. How they will be able to sign enough of a supporting staff around him is a mystery to me. Can any team afford what Borass wants and then 3 quality starters and a quality closer? You also need more than just one (ARod) quality position guy in the field. The alleged increased revenue would have to really, really big to overcome the increased expense of his salary to leave enough left over for other star players.

I give Borass and ARod a big "whatever."
Look at a team like Boston for that answer. You have a $150 million payroll, and you give A-Rod say $30 million a year. If you assume that going forward you use Papelbon as a closer, and have Lester and Bucholz in the rotation, and Pedroia and Ellsbury in the lineup, suddenly you have a lot of cash to play with.

If you're a team that has a solid farm system, and a big payroll, it can make total sense. It wouldn't make sense for the Sox as right now we have absolutely no young players who one can feel confident about as a major piece of the team's plans going forward except for Jenks. Everyone else is still something of a crapshoot.

It's Time
10-10-2007, 11:08 AM
. How they will be able to sign enough of a supporting staff around him is a mystery to me. Can any team afford what Borass wants and then 3 quality starters and a quality closer? ."

http://www.boysofspring.com/journal/Lou%20Piniella.jpg
"See ya in Chicago, Alex".

Steelrod
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
30 million a year will be the starting point! He will get at least that.
Boy, I hope you are wrong. This is getting way out of hand. If this is the future, I guess $50 upper deck reserved is not far away.

spiffie
10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Boy, I hope you are wrong. This is getting way out of hand. If this is the future, I guess $50 upper deck reserved is not far away.
He is an anomaly. How often does the best hitter in the game, possibly of all time, in basically his physical prime, hit the open market?

voodoochile
10-10-2007, 11:23 AM

You've got the cart in front of the horse. No team will charge that much for second tier seats unless the consumer will actually pay it. What the market will bear and IF the market will bear that price than it wouldn't matter whether the team in question signed ARod or not. They'd still charge that much. Look at Boston and those top of the green monster seats which simply have to be some of the worst seats in baseball. Too high and too far away from home plate to truly have a great view (like sitting in the furthest upper deck seats at USCF) but people pay ridiculous prices to sit there because they've convinced people it's cool. If they lowered the payroll to 70M next season they wouldn't suddenly drop the price of those seats until demand diminished. It might if the team started sucking every year and didn't make a serious push for the playoffs, but so long as they are competitive the rabid nuts in Boston will pay through the nose to go to games.

Heck, bleacher seats at Wrigley are what $25 apiece. That's for general admission with no seat back and insane drunken dumbasses running around everywhere. :o:

Higher players salaries do not cause higher seat prices other than minimally. A team might increase every seat price by $1-2 based on a big FA signing, but odds are they are counting on that signing having a positive effect on demand too boot. It's not geared to offset costs it's geared to grab every dollar they can from the consumer. Thus has it ever been. Thus will it ever be.

RealSox08
10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
That's hilarious. No one's going to buy that.

The Flubs will bite!!! Beetween Soriano & AROD, expect 8-10 series champs
LOL

Fenway
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
from Mike Lupica

Of course even the hint that the Red Sox could get involved makes the whole thing more interesting.

Maybe the most interesting thing is this, whether you want to pay Alex Rodriguez, whether you want to keep him at any price or not:

The Yankees, even after a wonderful regular season, come up big fat first-round losers in the playoffs again. So does he. And it won't stop him from being the biggest contract winner in sports history. No wonder we all stand and sing "God Bless America" with Ronan Tynan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/10/2007-10-10_boras_hints_free_agency_is_best_bet_for_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/10/2007-10-10_boras_hints_free_agency_is_best_bet_for_.html)

TDog
10-10-2007, 01:19 PM
He is an anomaly. How often does the best hitter in the game, possibly of all time, in basically his physical prime, hit the open market?

As fans, we look at what players can do to bring us championships. If we were ownership, we would be looking at not losing money while fielding a competitive team. Connie Mack found that fielding a great team was less profitable than fielding a team in the middle of the pack. Some teams seem to subscribe to the same philosophy, although the White Sox before 2005 were considered by many to have "bad fans" because they only drew when they were winning.

Alex Rodriguez won't guarantee a team will win. In this century, in this millennium, the Yankees haven't won the World Series. And for a few years, they have had Derek Jeter and Rodriguez on the left side of the infield. Rodriguez has played in 10 postseason series. He has been on the losing side in seven. He has never played in the World Series.

Plugging him into the White Sox would provide the promise of a winner. Imagine replacing Uribe with Rodriguez in the lineup and returning Crede to third base. The offense and defense improves dramatically. Plugging him into the Cubs would provide the promise of a winner, to the degree that the White Sox would become more irrelevant in Chicago than they are now. That doesn't mean he would bring the World Series back to Chicago after a three-year absence.

What would the White Sox have to do to keep from losing money? What would the Cubs have to do keep from losing money? Games would become less accessible to most fans, beyond the level that already is drawing complaints. On top of that, you might see the teams cutting back on other areas

Signing Rodriguez may seem the easiest way to build a winner. In the end, it might become an obstacle to winning and a barrier to enjoying of your team.

Fenway
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
"Alex Rodriguez may help boost awareness, interest and give you some leverage in negotiating your distribution and advertising deals," Berke said. "But the corollary is if A-Rod leaves the Yankees, the YES Network is not going to drop in value from $3 billion back to $1 billion."

There are many contributing factors to the astronomical value of YES, but two top the list: Winning and the Yankees brand. For Boras to think A-Rod trumps those two factors shows not only a healthy amount of arrogance, but an uncanny ability to manufacture a false negotiating point.

And the belief that there's a sucker born every minute.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/12/2007-10-12_scott_boras_exaggerating_arods_value_to_.html

SBSoxFan
10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
"Alex Rodriguez may help boost awareness, interest and give you some leverage in negotiating your distribution and advertising deals," Berke said. "But the corollary is if A-Rod leaves the Yankees, the YES Network is not going to drop in value from $3 billion back to $1 billion."

There are many contributing factors to the astronomical value of YES, but two top the list: Winning and the Yankees brand. For Boras to think A-Rod trumps those two factors shows not only a healthy amount of arrogance, but an uncanny ability to manufacture a false negotiating point.

And the belief that there's a sucker born every minute.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/12/2007-10-12_scott_boras_exaggerating_arods_value_to_.html

Manufacturing a false negotiating point by turning perception into reality. This morning on ESPN 1000 radio, Peter Gammons relayed a story that the 'friend of a friend' has 4 season tickets behind home plate for the first year in the Yankees new ballpark at a total of $810,000! Gammons expects the Yankees and ARod to reach an agreement because, for that kind of money, you can't be having "Juan Uribe" on the field.

Gammons substantiates the false negotiating point by equating ARod with success. Well, as amazing a player as ARod is, Juan Uribe currently has one more World Series Champion ring than ARod. Sure, I'd love to see a superstar playing for my team, but not at the cost of the ability to field a winning baseball team. That usually takes at least 25 guys not just one. And Rodriquez has never been part of an ultimate winner in his career. That speaks in part to how difficult it is to build a World Series winner, but may also speak to how an individual's exorbitant financial situation can cripple a team.

jabrch
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
4 season tickets behind home plate for the first year in the Yankees new ballpark at a total of $810,000!

That's $2500 per ticket.

I can't envision it...

spiffie
10-12-2007, 10:43 AM
There are some areas that I disagree with, though much of this is true.

Alex Rodriguez won't guarantee a team will win. In this century, in this millennium, the Yankees haven't won the World Series. And for a few years, they have had Derek Jeter and Rodriguez on the left side of the infield. Rodriguez has played in 10 postseason series. He has been on the losing side in seven. He has never played in the World Series.
You are correct, A-Rod will not guarantee a team a win. He does not even guarantee a team will do well. Anyone who believes that does not know baseball.

However, look at this year for example. Without him the Yankees likely do not even make the playoffs. On a team with a pitching staff in disarray and a lot of guys not earning their keep, A-Rod carried the team for long stretches, providing them the chance to at least get to the postseason. If you're going to point at him for having 3-4 bad games in the postseason, then he deserves credit for the 162 good games before that.

Plugging him into the White Sox would provide the promise of a winner. Imagine replacing Uribe with Rodriguez in the lineup and returning Crede to third base. The offense and defense improves dramatically. Plugging him into the Cubs would provide the promise of a winner, to the degree that the White Sox would become more irrelevant in Chicago than they are now. That doesn't mean he would bring the World Series back to Chicago after a three-year absence.
The only way the Sox could truly improve by adding A-Rod would be either a)increasing payroll to $150 million so that even with adding him there would be room to make the other additions needed to truly round out the team or b)if a LOT of the youngsters all developed at once and made some vets expendable.

The Cubs would actually be well-positioned to go after him. For all the talk of payroll issues there, they are not nearly at the point where they have maxed out what they could squeeze from their fans. If they signed A-Rod, and then announced a 20% across the board ticket increase, do you think they would sell one less ticket? I doubt it. And no, it wouldn't help them win, but for a team that had issues with power and consistency this season on offense, he sure would fix a lot of that.

What would the White Sox have to do to keep from losing money? What would the Cubs have to do keep from losing money? Games would become less accessible to most fans, beyond the level that already is drawing complaints. On top of that, you might see the teams cutting back on other areas
Again, I don't see the White Sox being part of the discussion. The Cubs would probably not lose a dime to begin with, and could likely leverage the signing into greater profitability. As for the accessibility complaint, such is the way of things. When you have a relatively affluent fan base, willing to pony up big bucks for the right to enter your stadium, it would be bad business not to take advantage of that.

Signing Rodriguez may seem the easiest way to build a winner. In the end, it might become an obstacle to winning and a barrier to enjoying of your team.
For most teams I totally agree with you. But for those teams who have the resources to not only sign him, but to build a good team around him, there's no better person to have. Just make sure you sign up some damn good pitchers to cover for when he goes 1-22 in the postseason :wink:

SBSoxFan
10-12-2007, 04:04 PM
That's $2500 per ticket.

I can't envision it...

It was a third person story, so I don't know how accurate it is. I also have no idea how much a comparable ticket would cost in other stadiums. I imagine it would be like a scout seat at US Cellular. Anyway, just thought I'd pass along the information in light of Fenway's post.

DumpJerry
10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
That's $2500 per ticket.

I can't envision it...

It was a third person story, so I don't know how accurate it is. I also have no idea how much a comparable ticket would cost in other stadiums. I imagine it would be like a scout seat at US Cellular. Anyway, just thought I'd pass along the information in light of Fenway's post.
It's a third person story being relayed by a Red Sox partisan. Why would someone drop almost a million dollars on a four seat package when I'm sure a skybox with more than four seats can be had for around the same amount? The seats are outdoors, the box is indoors.

For comparison, next year Scout Seats are $210 per seat per game. That's $17,010 for the season.

EndemicSox
10-12-2007, 11:58 PM
It's a third person story being relayed by a Red Sox partisan. Why would someone drop almost a million dollars on a four seat package when I'm sure a skybox with more than four seats can be had for around the same amount? The seats are outdoors, the box is indoors.

For comparison, next year Scout Seats are $210 per seat per game. That's $17,010 for the season.

Some NY billionaire REALY wanted those seats...chump change...

DSpivack
10-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Some NY billionaire REALY wanted those seats...chump change...

And even a billionaire wouldn't have to spend that much money.

bigfoot
10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
And if you think that's healthy, just look at the Giants.

Now that Barry is gone........?:?::o::wink::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Danryan
10-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't care about the money aspect, that would have to worked out. I don't believe Jerry and Kenny would do anything foolish. Although, I would prefer to have Alex in the lineup instead of Uribe.