PDA

View Full Version : Tigers pick up option on Pudge for $13M

Fenway
10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
The Tigers announced today that they have picked up catcher Pudge Rodriguez’s $13-million option for next season.

Rodriguez, whose arrival prior to the 2004 season returned the franchise to relevance, would have become a free agent if the club had declined the option and paid him a $3-million buyout.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071009/SPORTS02/71009027

TDog
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
This surprises me because I have been hearing the Tigers were looking to put the Ivan Rodriguez money to better use. Rodriguez is popular, and he probably remains a strong defensive catcher who will still hit some.

Had the Tigers made him a free agent, I doubt he would be looking at $13 million.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
This is just another statement showing the lack of major league talent in the catching ranks

Oblong
10-10-2007, 10:48 AM
With a $3 million buyout the cost is $10 million. I was a little surprised. It's overpaying but if finances aren't going to be an issue then it had to be done I guess. The best catching prospect the Tigers have is in A ball and only weighs 165 pounds.

The most Rodriguez would have gotten is a 3 year deal worth about 7-8 per year, probably from the Mets. People were talking that they'd decline the option but work out an extension. I didn't see that happening. His ego would have taken over and he'd have gone to the highest bidder. I think it's better paying $13 million for one year instead of $24-27 (including the buyout money) for 3. There's more flexibility.