PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-10

Lip Man 1
10-09-2007, 12:50 PM
October 10, 1924 - The White Sox and New York Giants begin their second barnstorming tour together. This time the teams don’t go around the world but only to Europe where they play in a half dozen locations.

Lip

jackbrohamer
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
When was the first tour? Ring Lardner referenced a Sox-Giants barnstorming tour in his "You Know Me Al" compilation, written in about 1915, I was never sure if it was based on an actual trip.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Jack:

Here you go!

November 13, 1913 - The Sox and New York Giants begin their ‘round the world tour’ promoting baseball across the globe. The two teams would eventually sail home from England on the Lusitania!

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
10-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I remember reading somewhere that on a barnstorming tour to Japan sometime in the mid-1930's that one-time Sox catcher (and noted linguist) Moe Berg moonlighted as a CIA operative and took reconnaissance photographs that were eventually used by the Allies in WWII...

jackbrohamer
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Jack:

Here you go!

November 13, 1913 - The Sox and New York Giants begin their ‘round the world tour’ promoting baseball across the globe. The two teams would eventually sail home from England on the Lusitania!

Lip

Thanks! :thumbsup: I remember that McCuddys used to have pictures on its walls from what must have been the 1913 tour; IIRC they included pictures of Sox players in front of Egyptian pyramids.

TDog
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Jack:

Here you go!

Lip

There is no truth to the rumor that John McGraw told Charles Comiskey on the peacetime voyage home that the ship they were sailing on would be sunk by a German submarine before the White Sox would beat his team in the World Series.

WhiteSox5187
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I remember reading somewhere that on a barnstorming tour to Japan sometime in the mid-1930's that one-time Sox catcher (and noted linguist) Moe Berg moonlighted as a CIA operative and took reconnaissance photographs that were eventually used by the Allies in WWII...
It would have been the OSS, the CIA didn't exist until 1947ish.:D:

But I remember the story you're talking about, Moe Berg, could speak six languages and couldn't hit in any of 'em!

Railsplitter
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
It would have been the OSS, the CIA didn't exist until 1947ish.:D:

But I remember the story you're talking about, Moe Berg, could speak six languages and couldn't hit in any of 'em!

It wasn't the OSS, that didn't come into being until 1941. It was Army intelligence.

Zisk77
10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
there is an ESPN's Sports Century on Moe Berg. It tells all about his espionage. Not only did he take pictures of Japan that would later be used for bombing, but he also was sent inot Germany to hear a physicist spaek atomic energy. His orders were if he felt they were close to creating the a-bomb, then he was to murder the physicist and then take a cyanide pill himself.:?: