PDA

View Full Version : George Looking at TLR to Replace Torre?

Viva Medias B's
10-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News is speculating (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/09/2007-10-09_steinbrenner_knows_he_needs_a_star_to_re.html) George Steinbrenner may seek Tony LaRussa to replace Joe Torre whom George is expected to fire in the wake of the Yankees' loss in the ALDS. Interesting if this comes to pass.

Fenway
10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
LaRussa can't handle the St Louis media which is ONE paper. In NYC he would implode.

He had trouble with the Chicago media 20 years ago as well.

downstairs
10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd have no problem with this, as long as he and his pitching coach try to beat up John Sterling.

:cool:

D. TODD
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
He is the big name George likes, but how much is George really making the calls for the Yanks nowadays? A lot of reports say he's not totally there anymore mentally at his age.

Flight #24
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
My money's on Girardi. As noted, I don't see TLR deciding at this stage to put up with George or the NY Media. Plus I have to believe part of the reason he pulled out of the running for jobs last year was because he had some info that this one might be available.

nysox35
10-09-2007, 10:25 AM
My money's on Girardi. As noted, I don't see TLR deciding at this stage to put up with George or the NY Media. Plus I have to believe part of the reason he pulled out of the running for jobs last year was because he had some info that this one might be available.

This is really what I'm hoping for. Many people are calling for Mattingly, but I'd rather have the guy who is already proven. Girardi did a great job with a Marlins club that was supposed to be horrid. Were it not for the personal issues with the owner, he'd still be there.
Get it done...

32nd&Wallace
10-09-2007, 10:35 AM
This would not be the first time LaRussa replaced Torre, either

eriqjaffe
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Many people are calling for Mattingly...to shave his sideburns? :D:

nysox35
10-09-2007, 10:42 AM
...to shave his sideburns? :D:
:rolling:

Lip Man 1
10-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I've met, interviewed and gotten to know Tony a little over the years.

Anything is possible but I just can't see Tony reacting well if Steinbrenner calls him into his office and 'suggests' that he play certain players. In fact knowing Tony's legendary temper, that marriage could get real ugly, real quick.

We'll see.

Lip

PKalltheway
10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
TLR in New York would be the equivalent of pouring gasoline on an open fire. He's already a polarizing figure to begin with, and with every one of his quotes and moves being scrutinized in NYC, I don't think that would work out well at all.

jackbrohamer
10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I'd love it if Lou Piniella had some kind of "out" in his contract that would allow him to leave the Scrubs and manage the Yankees.

Fenway
10-09-2007, 02:56 PM
A NY beat writer shudders at LaRussa coming to NY

Meanwhile, it’s hard to imagine a worse candidate than La Russa, an overly sensitive control freak and steroids apologist who thinks boorish Bobby Knight is good company. By all accounts, he lost the clubhouse in St. Louis this season.
This is a guy who yelled at a reporter from the St. Louis paper and nearly got into a physical confrontation with him because of a poem the paper published making fun of the Cubs.

Not his team, the Cubs. A poem. Sure, bring him to New York. We only have eight papers and everybody writes nice things all the time.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/10/09/tony-la-russa-say-it-isnt-so/ (http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/10/09/tony-la-russa-say-it-isnt-so/)

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2007, 12:28 AM
I about blew an aneurysm today while watching PTI. Kornheiser said "LaRussa has never managed in a major market. Oh, I know he managed in Chicago, but that was the White Sox, not the big team, not the Cubs."

ilsox7
10-10-2007, 12:41 AM
I about blew an aneurysm today while watching PTI. Kornheiser said "LaRussa has never managed in a major market. Oh, I know he managed in Chicago, but that was the White Sox, not the big team, not the Cubs."

To this day, it still baffles me how far ESPN has fallen. Ten years ago, I couldn't go a day without spending some time watching Sportscenter or something else on ESPN. Now, I watch ESPN maybe once a month or so for something other than a game. And even with the games, I pretty much only watch college football or college basketball b/c I am forced to.

Viva Medias B's
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
If TLR cannot handle Bernie Miklasz, how will he handle Mike Lupica and other New York writers?

Fenway
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
If TLR cannot handle Bernie Miklasz, how will he handle Mike Lupica and other New York writers?

Funny you mention Bernie :smile:

Bernie Miklasz should know. He has been the lead columnist at the Post-Dispatch, the only newspaper in St. Louis, for all of La Russa's 12 seasons as manager of the Cardinals, and has had more than his share of dust-ups with him.

"Here, it's a one-newspaper town and he would bristle at the slightest criticism," Miklasz said by phone yesterday. "At times he would go on the attack over very trivial things.
"He wants to control and micromanage every aspect of what he believes to be his responsibility. That's really not a knock, it's his style, and he has been successful with it. But if he freaked out over his inability to control the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, how would he deal with New York?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/10/2007-10-10_tony_la_russa_better_not_expect_cardinal.html

JB98
10-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I won't be surprised if Torre ends up replacing LaRussa in St. Louis, but I'll be stunned if LaRussa replaces Torre in New York. I think NYC and TLR are a match made in hell, for the reasons others have already described.

The Yankees not advancing past the first round since 2004 is no fault of Torre's. The guy is a solid manager, and his temperament is perfect for New York. Steinbrenner is an idiot if he thinks the grass is greener on the other side. Instead of blaming his manager, he should look at his starting rotation that is full of 40-year-olds. That's the real reason the Yankees lost.

Fenway
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
The NY media is beginning to think Cashman has convinced George to bring Torre back.

I think Cashman may be afraid of losing a lot of players if Torre leaves.

Mohoney
10-11-2007, 12:28 PM

Expect nothing but venom and bile from these people. Ever since we jumped ship to 670, ESPN has gotten even worse with their treatment of us. It's the same thing with the Bulls, too.

Sour grapes, anyone?

PatK
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM

And he won the division with them. I think he knew what media pressure was.

BPNumber19
10-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News is speculating (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/09/2007-10-09_steinbrenner_knows_he_needs_a_star_to_re.html) George Steinbrenner may seek Tony LaRussa to replace Joe Torre whom George is expected to fire in the wake of the Yankees' loss in the ALDS. Interesting if this comes to pass.

I'm a Sox fan living in NYC. Most of the fans calling the talkies (80-90%) want Torre back. I don't see LaRussa making it here in New Yawk if he couldn't handle the Chicago media. Mattingly is too in-experienced and how well does Girardi do with greater expectations and pressure? I didn't agree with the contract extension Ozzie got but I do agree with Reinsdorf on one thing: blame the underachieving players first!

ode to veeck
10-16-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't know that Tony is all that bad with media pressure. He had a brutal year in St Louis this year, which didn't help matters. He did OK with the press in his many years in the SF Bay area, even after the A's talent laden team failed repeatedly in the playoffs (other than '89). His biggest problem in Chicago was never the media, except when the media idiot was given the GM's job.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Ode says:

His biggest problem in Chicago was never the media.

Tell that to Harry Caray, Bill Gleason and Jimmy Piersall! LOL

ML: The Mike Royko show saw you and Harry appear as guests on September 6, 1981. During the show you made your comments about player’s wives and got suspended for a time. Now I think I understood what you were trying to say, it just came out ‘politically incorrect,’ but what amazed me was when you told me that despite all the disagreements, you actually got along very well with Eddie Einhorn and that he complimented you on having a good season in the booth. True? (Author’s Note: Royko asked both Caray and Piersall how they handled the reaction from player’s wives when they criticized their husbands. Caray said “You know Mike I would love to call all the wives together someday and tell them what their husbands say about them across the ballfield.” Piersall said, “First of all they were horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security and a big strong ballplayer. I traveled, I played the game. I got a load of those broads too.”

JP: “This all started when a group of the player’s wives, led by Tony LaRussa’s wife, tried to get me fired. As soon as I said it I thought to myself this could be a problem, but I was pissed off about them. The funny thing was Jerry Reinsdorf told me himself that both he and his wife saw the show and that he ‘enjoyed it.’ Then Tony LaRussa went nuts over it and I was suspended.”

“The way I was suspended was kind of funny. Eddie Einhorn said he needed to see me. So I went to his office and he’s standing behind his chair, like he was afraid I was going to do something. He told me that I was suspended because the Sox players threatened not to play unless something was done. Yea I did like Eddie and he and I got along well.”

ML: Sox ownership decided to go with the SportsVision experiment in 1982 and you were removed from the play by play booth while Harry left to go to the Cubs. You wound up doing the pre and post game shows. The Sox started out like gang-busters but by July were a .500 club, then one nightTony LaRussa apparently had it with some of your comments and drove down to the studios after a game and confronted you. I have never heard of such a thing happening before or since at least until the Steve Stone / Cubs controversy. What happened that night?

JP: “I had said during a show that whoever was coaching the outfielders wasn’t doing a very good job. They were out of position, they were throwing to the wrong base. It was a bad situation. So one night about eleven or 11:30 at night, LaRussa, Charlie Lau and Jimmy Leyland drive down to the studios. They told the guard they had an appointment to see me and he let them in. I’m in the studio and they march in. LaRussa’s yells, ‘are you trying to get Leyland fired?’ I didn’t know who was coaching the outfielders so I said ‘no, but whoever he is he’s doing a lousy job.’ They started to act tough when one of our producers walked in, he was a real big guy, about 6-4 and when they saw him they left. I tore Tony’s ass from then on. LaRussa acts real tough but he isn’t and Leyland is nothing but a little phony.”

“All I can say is that Tony’s real lucky he’s had great players in Oakland and in St. Louis because he is a terrible manager.”

Lip

ode to veeck
10-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Ode says:

His biggest problem in Chicago was never the media.

Tell that to Harry Caray, Bill Gleason and Jimmy Piersall! LOL

ML: The Mike Royko show saw you and Harry appear as guests on September 6, 1981. During the show you made your comments about player’s wives and got suspended for a time. Now I think I understood what you were trying to say, it just came out ‘politically incorrect,’ but what amazed me was when you told me that despite all the disagreements, you actually got along very well with Eddie Einhorn and that he complimented you on having a good season in the booth. True? (Author’s Note: Royko asked both Caray and Piersall how they handled the reaction from player’s wives when they criticized their husbands. Caray said “You know Mike I would love to call all the wives together someday and tell them what their husbands say about them across the ballfield.” Piersall said, “First of all they were horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security and a big strong ballplayer. I traveled, I played the game. I got a load of those broads too.”

JP: “This all started when a group of the player’s wives, led by Tony LaRussa’s wife, tried to get me fired. As soon as I said it I thought to myself this could be a problem, but I was pissed off about them. The funny thing was Jerry Reinsdorf told me himself that both he and his wife saw the show and that he ‘enjoyed it.’ Then Tony LaRussa went nuts over it and I was suspended.”

“The way I was suspended was kind of funny. Eddie Einhorn said he needed to see me. So I went to his office and he’s standing behind his chair, like he was afraid I was going to do something. He told me that I was suspended because the Sox players threatened not to play unless something was done. Yea I did like Eddie and he and I got along well.”

ML: Sox ownership decided to go with the SportsVision experiment in 1982 and you were removed from the play by play booth while Harry left to go to the Cubs. You wound up doing the pre and post game shows. The Sox started out like gang-busters but by July were a .500 club, then one nightTony LaRussa apparently had it with some of your comments and drove down to the studios after a game and confronted you. I have never heard of such a thing happening before or since at least until the Steve Stone / Cubs controversy. What happened that night?

JP: “I had said during a show that whoever was coaching the outfielders wasn’t doing a very good job. They were out of position, they were throwing to the wrong base. It was a bad situation. So one night about eleven or 11:30 at night, LaRussa, Charlie Lau and Jimmy Leyland drive down to the studios. They told the guard they had an appointment to see me and he let them in. I’m in the studio and they march in. LaRussa’s yells, ‘are you trying to get Leyland fired?’ I didn’t know who was coaching the outfielders so I said ‘no, but whoever he is he’s doing a lousy job.’ They started to act tough when one of our producers walked in, he was a real big guy, about 6-4 and when they saw him they left. I tore Tony’s ass from then on. LaRussa acts real tough but he isn’t and Leyland is nothing but a little phony.”

“All I can say is that Tony’s real lucky he’s had great players in Oakland and in St. Louis because he is a terrible manager.”

Lip

Hilarious stuff