PDA

View Full Version : One Cleveland fan's reason for booing Thome

JermaineDye05
10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
But, that all changed on December 6, 2002 when Thome packed his bags, boarded a plane with his "Rock" (his wife), and shunned the very fans who grew to adore the farm kid from Peoria, IL by taking a six year $85 million deal from the Philadelphia Phillies.

This is a little old but I felt I'd post it anyways. I still think he left for the right reason,the team was rebuilding and didn't seem like they planned on winning anything anytime soon so Jim decided to go to a team where he could have a better shot at winning a championship.
Link (http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=1600)

Patrick134
10-08-2007, 04:43 PM
This is a little old but I felt I'd post it anyways. I still think he left for the right reason,the team was rebuilding and didn't seem like they planned on winning anything anytime soon so Jim decided to go to a team where he could have a better shot at winning a championship.
Link (http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=1600)

Thome made the right move, for him and for the Indians. they went with youth, and obviously it's working well for them.

hi im skot
10-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Get over it, folks.

itsnotrequired
10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Thome was the face of the franchise and publicly said "they'll have to rip the Indians jersey off my back before I leave Cleveland". A few months later, he was off to Philly.

Some fans are still bitter.

downstairs
10-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Thome was the face of the franchise and publicly said "they'll have to rip the Indians jersey off my back before I leave Cleveland". A few months later, he was off to Philly.

Some fans are still bitter.

And the only reason Thome- or any player- says crap like that is because idiot fans need to hear it.

Look- every single MLB player is out for themselves. Just like all of us.

Enjoy them while they're on your team, wish them well when they leave, and root for the JERSEY not the PLAYERS.

oeo
10-08-2007, 07:27 PM

And maybe Thome felt like it was being 'ripped off his back.' We don't know the whole story...as mentioned earlier, the Indians obviously wanted to go young (because they did); maybe Thome didn't want to go through a rebuilding process, and I don't blame him.

thomas35forever
10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
If the Indians win the WS, the fans in Cleveland will magically forgive Thome for leaving them. What jerkoffs.

DumpJerry
10-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Didn't Philly offer Thome something like 10 times the money The Tribe put on the table? They didn't need to rip the jersey off him, common sense did took it off him.

itsnotrequired
10-08-2007, 07:46 PM
And maybe Thome felt like it was being 'ripped off his back.' We don't know the whole story...as mentioned earlier, the Indians obviously wanted to go young (because they did); maybe Thome didn't want to go through a rebuilding process, and I don't blame him.

From a fan's standpoint, they might not know the difference.

fquaye149
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
If Cleveland fans want to be mad at Thome for clearing the way for Travis Hafner, that's their prerogative

It's mind-numbingly idiotic, but it's their prerogative

FedEx227
10-08-2007, 08:06 PM
If Cleveland fans want to be mad at Thome for clearing the way for Travis Hafner, that's their prerogative

It's mind-numbingly idiotic, but it's their prerogative

That's how I look at it. They had Hafner, Thome became expendable. Obviously they didn't know Hafner would take off as much as he did, but it happened they should be happy.

Much like in Philadelphia they had Ryan Howard... the trade was a win-win for both teams. We got Thome, they got Rowand and the ability to play Howard every day.

fquaye149
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I can understand being mad at the time...but to carry a grudge after it worked out so well is ridiculous

pierzynski07
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Thome DID NOT clear the way for Hafner. Thome played first, and Hafner is a career DH. Their first baseman for those few years was Ben Broussard. Thome/Hafner would have worked much better than Broussard/Hafner.

WhiteSox5187
10-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I think he gets booed because he returned in a Sox uniform, Cleveland's archrival. If he returned to Cleveland with the Phillies I think he would have gotten the same welcome that Frank Thomas got when he came here...but to come back in Sox uniform, I think that shocked Cleveland's systems too much. It would be like if Frank came back in a Cubs or Twins uniform.

Hitmen77
10-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Get over it, folks.

Seriously!

It's 5 yrs later, there would be no spot for Thome on today's Cleveland team and they have a good shot at winning all this year. I think it's time to get over it.

I hate Indians fans. Too bad I hate Red Sox and Yankees fans even more.

veeter
10-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I could be employed at a place that I love. A place, that I swear, I would never want to leave. But if they did something to me that was completely disrepsectful, or made absolutely no sense for me to stay there, I be gone too. Now, I don't know what Cleveland did, but something changed his mind.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Thome made the right move, for him and for the Indians. they went with youth, and obviously it's working well for them.

Right, why are they still so bitter about this? Players are constantly going to where the money is; why would Thome be any different?

They have a chance at finally winning the World Series this year. If they paid Thome his market value they may not be in this position.

fquaye149
10-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Thome DID NOT clear the way for Hafner. Thome played first, and Hafner is a career DH. Their first baseman for those few years was Ben Broussard. Thome/Hafner would have worked much better than Broussard/Hafner.

as opposed to Thome, who would not have set foot on the field in cleveland the past 4 years :?:

pierzynski07
10-11-2007, 01:44 AM
as opposed to Thome, who would not have set foot on the field in cleveland the past 4 years :?:
Are you saying he would have become a full-time DH at that point? Because he had two solid years in the DH-less NL before his injury.

fquaye149
10-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Are you saying he would have become a full-time DH at that point? Because he had two solid years in the DH-less NL before his injury.

I would think in the AL he would have long since become a DH

Foulke You
10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I think he gets booed because he returned in a Sox uniform, Cleveland's archrival. If he returned to Cleveland with the Phillies I think he would have gotten the same welcome that Frank Thomas got when he came here...but to come back in Sox uniform, I think that shocked Cleveland's systems too much. It would be like if Frank came back in a Cubs or Twins uniform.
I initially had the same theory you did but after a little while, some old White Sox memories came back to me. I distinctly remember Sandy Alomar Jr. getting a standing ovation when he returned to Jacobs Field in a Sox uniform in 2001. I also remember Kenny Lofton getting a similar warm reception in a Sox uniform when he was our leadoff man in '02.

The difference is that Thome left via free agency for more money after saying he wanted to stay in Cleveland but as DumpJerry pointed out, it's not like he left for an extra 200,000 or something. Philly's offer was WAY higher than Cleveland's offer. When I pointed this fact out to a friend of mine who is an Indians fan, his defense was that Thome didn't give the Tribe a chance to match the offer, he just took it and ran. Well, even if this is true and Thome didn't give Cleveland a chance to match it, was the Tribe really going to match that kind of contract in a rebuilding period? Highly unlikely. I stand by my feeling that Indians fans need to get over the whole Thome thing. Free agency is a way of life in professional sports.

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Thome leaving Cleveland is kinda like Ordonez leaving the Sox. Both left for more money, and both teams are better off without the player. Tribe fans continue to boo Thome, yet on our end, some of us boo Ordonez, while some of us don't.

Vestigio
10-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Thome leaving Cleveland is kinda like Ordonez leaving the Sox. Both left for more money, and both teams are better off without the player. Tribe fans continue to boo Thome, yet on our end, some of us boo Ordonez, while some of us don't.

While both situations have some similarities, Ordonez and Boras did not allow Sox team doctors to check out his knee. Through all of it, KW still offered a contract that was a million or two less than what he had accepted from Detroit. Dont forget that for two years KW tried to resign Ordonez

As for Thome leaving Cleveland, I heard rumors that Sharpiro was concerned about Thome's back problems which is why I think he didnt match Philly's offer

Foulke You
10-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Ordonez and Thome's situations were apples and oranges. In the case of Ordonez, he turned down a huge guaranteed contract of $75 million from the Sox because he thought he deserved more. Then, Magglio switched agents to Boras, hid his medical records from White Sox management during that offseason, and then ended up taking a deal for the same amount of cash with the Tigers.

Thome just left for an NL team for a huge amount of extra money that the Indians were never offering. There is a big difference there between the way Maggs and Thome left their respective teams.