PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-8

Lip Man 1
10-07-2007, 12:08 PM
October 8, 1948 - Frank "Trader" Lane is recruited out of the Big Ten Conference and takes over as the new General Manager of the White Sox. Lane would go on to become one of the greatest G.M.ís in team history. Among the players acquired by Lane, who made over 230 trades in his Sox tenure, were such future All Stars as Nellie Fox, Sherm Lollar, Billy Pierce, "Chico" Carrasquel and "Minnie" Minoso. Lane built the club that would go on to win the pennant in 1959.

October 8, 1983 - With the Sox down two games to one in the playoffs, Jerry Dybzinski overruns second base after a single by Julio Cruz in the 7th inning of a scoreless game at Comiskey Park.. In the ensuing rundown Vance Law is thrown out trying to score what would have been the go ahead run. The Sox wind up losing the game and the series on a home run by Tito Landrum in the 10th inning 3 - 0, spoiling a masterful pitching performance by Britt Burns.

October 8, 1993- With the Sox down two games to none in the A.L.C.S. Wilson Alvarez pitches a gem and beats the Blue Jays 6 - 1. The complete game victory is badly needed and gives Sox fans a reason to keep hoping.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ag/a8/593e_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Alvarez-White-Sox-95-Collectors-UD-Signed-Card_W0QQitemZ230172204096QQihZ013QQcategoryZ73396 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting)

Lip

LITTLE NELL
10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
October 8, 1948 - Frank "Trader" Lane is recruited out of the Big Ten Conference and takes over as the new General Manager of the White Sox. Lane would go on to become one of the greatest G.M.ís in team history. Among the players acquired by Lane, who made over 230 trades in his Sox tenure, were such future All Stars as Nellie Fox, Sherm Lollar, Billy Pierce, "Chico" Carrasquel and "Minnie" Minoso. Lane built the club that would go on to win the pennant in 1959.

October 8, 1983- With the Sox down two games to one in the playoffs, Jerry Dybzinski overruns second base after a single by Julio Cruz in the 7th inning of a scoreless game at Comiskey Park.. In the ensuing rundown Vance Law is thrown out trying to score what would have been the go ahead run. The Sox wind up losing the game and the series on a home run by Tito Landrum in the 10th inning 3 - 0, spoiling a masterful pitching performance by Britt Burns.

October 8, 1993- With the Sox down two games to none in the A.L.C.S. Wilson Alvarez pitches a gem and beats the Blue Jays 6 - 1. The complete game victory is badly needed and gives Sox fans a reason to keep hoping.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ag/a8/593e_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Alvarez-White-Sox-95-Collectors-UD-Signed-Card_W0QQitemZ230172204096QQihZ013QQcategoryZ73396 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting)

Lip
Ive always thought that the 83 Sox might be the best Sox team of all time. Did any team ever have a better 2nd half than that team. That 4th game in the ALCS was a real heartbreaker. What a great job of pitching by Burns.

chisox77
10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
It took me a very long time to get over that series against Baltimore. Deep down, I felt that the White Sox would have crushed the Phillies in the Series.

:(:

Britt Burns
10-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Here's to Britt. Unlike the rest of the team, he never really got totally in the groove that season (relatively speaking-he still had a very good year) until his masterpeice. I believe his father died during the course of the season as well, although that might have been in '82.

I heartily concur that the Sox would have crushed the Phillies. Heck, I think they would have beat the O's if it had been a 7 game series as it is now.

TDog
10-07-2007, 08:35 PM

October 8, 1983- With the Sox down two games to one in the playoffs, Jerry Dybzinski overruns second base after a single by Julio Cruz in the 7th inning of a scoreless game at Comiskey Park.. In the ensuing rundown Vance Law is thrown out trying to score what would have been the go ahead run. The Sox wind up losing the game and the series on a home run by Tito Landrum in the 10th inning 3 - 0, spoiling a masterful pitching performance by Britt Burns. ...

Most people believe the Sox lost 1-0, but, of course, the Orioles jumped on the Sox bullpen for two more, enhancing the pain.

That 1983 team should have gone to the World Series. That team should have won the World Series. If the Sox had won on that blustery Saturday afternoon, LaMarr Hoyt would have pitched Sunday. They were so close. (No curse to blame, though.) Some people the 1983 team was better than the 2005 team.

Railsplitter
10-07-2007, 08:40 PM
It took me a very long time to get over that series against Baltimore. Deep down, I felt that the White Sox would have crushed the Phillies in the Series.

The fact the Orioles pounded the Phillies in the Series eased the pain for me. but I agree with those who who say the 1983 Sox were better than the 2005 team.

nccwsfan
10-08-2007, 06:53 AM
83' was the year that solidified my allegiance to the White Sox, and Game 4 was the most heartbreaking loss I've ever seen them play. I vividly remember wearing my Sox helmet and Winning Ugly T-shirt that day, thinking that Britt Burns had pitched us into a Game 5. When Landrum hit that HR my heart sank, and when Paciorek made the last out I remember going outside and shooting baskets for 2-3 hours. It took awhile to get over that game....

I wouldn't say that the 83' team was better than the 05' team, but I would say that this was the only other White Sox team in my lifetime that should have won the World Series.

Britt Burns
10-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't say that the 83' team was better than the 05' team, but I would say that this was the only other White Sox team in my lifetime that should have won the World Series.

You could make a strong case for the '94 team being the favorite to win the WS...

jenn2080
10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
1994 Montreal Expos could have been one of the best teams in the history of baseball.

TDog
10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
1994 Montreal Expos could have been one of the best teams in the history of baseball.

Timing is everything, isn't it?

chisox77
10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Jenn, real good post.

Though the 1994 strike hurt the Sox very badly, they survived it.

The Expos were destroyed by that strike, no doubt about it. Though they only won one division title (1981, I think), they were always highly competitve, produced great talent within their farm system, and until that year, Montreal supported the Expos with solid attendance.

For much of their 35+ years, the Expos had good ownership that seemed to do its best to pay their stars. The big drawback they had was Olympic Stadium and that hard playing surface, which many players did not like. Andre Dawson suffered bad knees because of it.

nccwsfan
10-08-2007, 01:27 PM
You could make a strong case for the '94 team being the favorite to win the WS...

Very good point- I tend to leave that one out of the equation because it was unfinished business. We'll never know...:(:

It would be fair to include that team though.

TDog
10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Very good point- I tend to leave that one out of the equation because it was unfinished business. We'll never know...:(:

It would be fair to include that team though.

I honestly don't believe the White Sox would have won the division in 1994. I didn't believe it at the time. They may have been the first AL wild card, but I'm not of the school that they were destined to win the World Series and the strike took that away.

asindc
10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I honestly don't believe the White Sox would have won the division in 1994. I didn't believe it at the time. They may have been the first AL wild card, but I'm not of the school that they were destined to win the World Series and the strike took that away.

Count me among those who consider the 94 team the best Sox team in recent memory. I certainly consider them the best I've seen in my lifetime (46 yrs. old).

Think about this: they were 1 up in the division when the season was canceled without getting their best from McDowell, who was coming off injuries. Alvarez and Bere were lights out for most of that season. Julio Franco protected Frank like nobody had up to that point or has since. And Frank was, well, Frank. Buck Showalter said this: With the way Frank was playing, he would have seriously considered intentionally walking him with the bases loaded to avoid pitching to him.

Another Frank note: My father, brother, nephew and I saw the Sox in Cle. that year. The Tribe fans were practically pleading with their team not to pitch to Frank in tense situations.

Having said all that, I'd rank the various Sox teams under discussion as such:

1983 (this one hurt the most, though)

WisSoxFan
10-08-2007, 02:43 PM
"October 8, 1983- With the Sox down two games to one in the playoffs, Jerry Dybzinski overruns second base after a single by Julio Cruz in the 7th inning of a scoreless game at Comiskey Park.. In the ensuing rundown Vance Law is thrown out trying to score what would have been the go ahead run. The Sox wind up losing the game and the series on a home run by Tito Landrum in the 10th inning 3 - 0, spoiling a masterful pitching performance by Britt Burns.

October 8, 1993- With the Sox down two games to none in the A.L.C.S. Wilson Alvarez pitches a gem and beats the Blue Jays 6 - 1. The complete game victory is badly needed and gives Sox fans a reason to keep hoping"

XXX

My 20th and 30th birthdays. I vividly remember sitting at my parents house all by myself (I had sold my Wisconsin football tickets to them that day) watching game 4. It was brutal. I concur that if the Sox win that game they would have won the ALCS and the Series.

As for 1993 I recall waking up the next day with one eye matted shut from cake frosting and frosting in both my ears. I must have had a good 30th!:cool:

Hitmen77
10-08-2007, 09:44 PM

:(:

I fondly remember that '83 season, clinching the division (Sox in 1st for the first time in my life!!), and advancing to the playoffs. In those days, the playoffs were something that was played in other cities but never in Chicago. I think that period in '83 before losing the ALCS was the last time the Sox "owned" the attention of this town until they clinched the pennant in 2005.

Sometimes I wonder how different things would have been if the Sox won it all in '83 (one of those "what ifs").

Would an '83 title have somewhat blunted Cubs-mania that happened in '84 and continued unabated for years? In other words, would anything short of a pennant for the Cubs in '84 seem not so exciting to a town that had just won the Commissioners Trophy?

How would a Sox world championship have affected their stadium plans? Would that have meant they would have seen their Addison plan of the mid 1980s win approval? Remember, at the time Addison seemed like a much better location to many than 35th and Shields. However, in the long run IMO that would have been a much worse location for them that staying in the city.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I was at the 1983 game. That one really, really hurt. I agree that the Sox would have beaten the Orioles the next day, and then beaten the Phillies.

Missed the clincher in 1983 because of a wedding. When it rolled up in 1993 I said I wouldn't miss it this time, and I didn't. Then I bought full seasons for 1994 to get guaranteed tickets for the 1993 postseason.:rolleyes:

Thank heavens for 2005.

my5thbench
10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
the '59 go go Sox were awfully good as well

EastCoastSoxFan
10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Boston fans have Bucky "Bleeping" Dent.

We have Tito "Bleeping" Landrum.

It isn't quite as close of a rhyme, but the distaste is equally intense...

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Boston fans have Bucky "Bleeping" Dent.

We have Tito "Bleeping" Landrum.

It isn't quite as close of a rhyme, but the distaste is equally intense...

Except that Landrum was one of our players, as opposed to Dent who was an opponent.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I think you have Landrum confused with Dybzynski.

Tito Landrum was a light-hitting Oriole who hit an unlikely upper-deck shot off Britt Burns to start the top of the 10th (hence the Bucky Dent comparison).

Dibber was the Sox player whose baserunning blunder prevented a go-ahead run from scoring late in the game...

WisSoxFan
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Tito Landrum IIRC correctly was traded for himself from the Cardinals to the Orioles and back in a player to be named later trade. He ended up being the player to be named later.

That doesn't change the fact that I still am not fond of him for screwing up my 20th birthday.:angry:

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I think you have Landrum confused with Dybzynski.

Tito Landrum was a light-hitting Oriole who hit an unlikely upper-deck shot off Britt Burns to start the top of the 10th (hence the Bucky Dent comparison).

Dibber was the Sox player whose baserunning blunder prevented a go-ahead run from scoring late in the game...

You're right, I did get those two mixed up. 1983 was five years before I was born so you'll have to cut me a little slack :D:.

WisSoxFan
10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
"1983 was five years before I was born"

XXX

Oh man I feel much older now!:smile:

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Lip

I was playing a White Sox trivia game on facebook and one of the questions was "Who was visibly upset after the Sox won Game 3 of the 93 ALCS?" The answer was Chris Berman. Does anybody know what exactly he said/did to show he was upset?

Lip Man 1
10-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Never heard this before.

Lip