PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Booing

LITTLE NELL
10-07-2007, 09:13 AM
These "best fans in baseball" were booing like crazy last night at their beloved Cubbies. I can honestly say in 54 years of being a Sox fan I have never booed one of our players, not even Claudell Washington.

itsnotrequired
10-07-2007, 09:15 AM
These "best fans in baseball" were booing like crazy last night at their beloved Cubbies. I can honestly say in 54 years of being a Sox fan I have never booed one of our players, not even Claudell Washington.

And I'm sure there are Cubs fan that can make the same claim about Cub players.

That being said, the boos were pretty loud. I get the impression Dick Stockton was a little flabbergasted and didn't really know what to say.

tick53
10-07-2007, 09:29 AM
:woo-woo

Ronnie Boo Boo

LITTLE NELL
10-07-2007, 09:33 AM
:woo-woo

Ronnie Boo Boo

I love it!:smile:

tick53
10-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I love it!:smile:

Thanks Nell! That one's for you!

Zisk77
10-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Those were all those damn white sox fans at the game that were booing. I know because thats what Bruce Levine told me.

SoxGirl4Life
10-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Those were all those damn white sox fans at the game that were booing. I know because thats what Bruce Levine told me.

Now, now. If we were rich enough to buy those Cubs playoff tickets, how would we buy our trailer homes? :?:

LITTLE NELL
10-07-2007, 12:28 PM
If there were Sox fans at Wrigley they would have been cheering, not booing.

LongLiveFisk
10-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much people paid for those tickets? I'm just curious.

But I guess I'd boo if I were dumb enough to pay over $1,000 a ticket for that garbage too. Maybe they were booing themselves. :tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
10-07-2007, 12:34 PM
If there were Sox fans at Wrigley they would have been cheering, not booing..
Especially after Chris Young homered on the first pitch.

Kenny Williams,in the words of the late Desi Arnaz,Jr.,
"you got some 'splainin' to do" for trading Young to
the D-Backs in the Vazquez deal.How could you think
Brian Anderson was better than Chris Young??:dunno:

Just asking.

TomBradley72
10-07-2007, 12:37 PM

Booing is part of the game...I've been a diehard White Sox fan since 1971....I've "booed" (sp?) a ton of players...Jamie Navarro, Danny Wright are two that come to mind. Frankly...I viewed all of the "is booing right?" debate to be a northside/Cubbie thing. Kind of like the hyper sensitivity to criticism from the broadcast booth.

The way that team layed down for the NLDS...they deserved every boo they received.

HomeFish
10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
The sophisticated baseball fan does not boo, he heckles in a clever manner. That distinct from "Hey, you suck!" though.

TomBradley72
10-07-2007, 12:53 PM
The sophisticated baseball fan does not boo, he heckles in a clever manner. That distinct from "Hey, you suck!" though.

Right...because the player can hear the witticism coming from the 23rd row of the 100 level....

whitesoxwin
10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Kind of cool when they showed a replay of Bartman.

BainesHOF
10-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Just asking.

I can understand why Kenny went with Anderson. He physically looks like a better athlete than Young and because of that looked to be a better chance to be a good power hitter.

Of course, looks can be deceiving.

downstairs
10-07-2007, 01:20 PM
If the White Sox just barely closed out a pathetic division, backed themselves into the playoffs, and came home down 0-2.... yes, I'd boo them all.

I actually respect the Cubs fans who did that. As compared to those who cheer wildly and loudly all the same during a 100-loss season, a playoff meltdown, and times when they've been very good.

I went to one White Sox game this year (I live 900 miles away) and was booing them as they dropped a 6-run lead to a 2-run loss.

ChiSoxFan35
10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I hated including him in the deal, but you can't completely blame Kenny, he doesn't do this stuff alone, who are the people evaluating talent that didn't see this stuff in Young? Like I said in another thread, he wasn't a scrub that came out of no where, many Sox fans I know were mad about including him.

Booing not a big deal, I don't do it, but every fan base does it. I didn't watch yesterday so I don't know if they did it last night, but garbage throwing on to the field is a joke.

Martinigirl
10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I remember being at the last playoff game vs. the Blue Jays, when we were swept. I didn't boo, I wanted to cry maybe, but I never would have booed. And if I recall correctly, after the deafening silence, some fans did give the Sox a round of applause in appreciation for the season we had.

I admit I am not a fan of booing your own team no matter what the scenario, but to do it to a team that did get you into the playoffs (no matter how they backed into it) is just wrong. Cub fans got to see October baseball, got a little time to dream big. They shouldn't have booed.

ilsox7
10-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I remember being at the last playoff game vs. the Blue Jays, when we were swept. I didn't boo, I wanted to cry maybe, but I never would have booed. And if I recall correctly, after the deafening silence, some fans did give the Sox a round of applause in appreciation for the season we had.

I admit I am not a fan of booing your own team no matter what the scenario, but to do it to a team that did get you into the playoffs (no matter how they backed into it) is just wrong. Cub fans got to see October baseball, got a little time to dream big. They shouldn't have booed.

FYI, the Blue Jays did not sweep us.

TDog
10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
If the White Sox just barely closed out a pathetic division, backed themselves into the playoffs, and came home down 0-2.... yes, I'd boo them all.

I actually respect the Cubs fans who did that. As compared to those who cheer wildly and loudly all the same during a 100-loss season, a playoff meltdown, and times when they've been very good.

I went to one White Sox game this year (I live 900 miles away) and was booing them as they dropped a 6-run lead to a 2-run loss.

When I was at the 2000 ALDS games in Chicago, there was some booing. I have too much respect for what it takes to succeed at baseball to boo players for losing. One fan booing in 2000 had fans shouting back at him. One fans screamed "short-timer" -- a bandwagoner accusation, sort of, accusing someone of showing up for the postseason after not supporting the team through the bad times.

I can't recall the last time I booed players at a major league game. I would boo Albert Belle, though. I would boo Barry Bonds. I would boo Pete Rose. But I didn't boo Keith Foulke for giving up two home runs in extra innings in Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS.

ilsox7
10-07-2007, 01:38 PM
When I was at the 2000 ALDS games in Chicago, there was some booing. I have too much respect for what it takes to succeed at baseball to boo players for losing. One fan booing in 2000 had fans shouting back at him. One fans screamed "short-timer" -- a bandwagoner accusation, sort of, accusing someone of showing up for the postseason after not supporting the team through the bad times.

I can't recall the last time I booed players at a major league game. I would boo Albert Belle, though. I would boo Barry Bonds. I would boo Pete Rose. But I didn't boo Keith Foulke for giving up two home runs in extra innings in Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS.

I will rarely boo a White Sox player. The only time I do so is when they do not give full effort, hustle, etc.

Red Barchetta
10-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Kind of cool when they showed a replay of Bartman.

I still can't believe they still blame this guy and not the fact the Gonzales couldn't turn a double play to get out of the inning or Dusty Baker for sitting on his butt and not coming out to the mound to settle things down.

Every replay shows other fans reaching in as well, the ball just happened to hit this poor guy's hands. Only 5 outs away....:D:

Martinigirl
10-07-2007, 02:02 PM
FYI, the Blue Jays did not sweep us.

I guess it just felt that way when I was at the last game of the playoffs.

We didn't win a game here though, did we?

HerzogVon
10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Right...because the player can hear the witticism coming from the 23rd row of the 100 level....

Believe me; when I was out there in 1970 hurling zingers at Chuck Tanner and poor Wilbur Wood, they could hear me. ( Sorry Wilbur; I really liked you. Just letting off steam. )

JB98
10-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Booing is part of the game...I've been a diehard White Sox fan since 1971....I've "booed" (sp?) a ton of players...Jamie Navarro, Danny Wright are two that come to mind. Frankly...I viewed all of the "is booing right?" debate to be a northside/Cubbie thing. Kind of like the hyper sensitivity to criticism from the broadcast booth.

The way that team layed down for the NLDS...they deserved every boo they received.

Hell, I did plenty of booing this year. Mainly, I boo pitchers who do not throw strikes. MacDougal caught a lot of wrath from me this season. I booed Sisco earlier in the year as well. I can live with it when a pitcher just gets hit, but when he's wasting my time by walking guys when the score is already 8-1, I feel compelled to let them know that such an effort is unacceptable with me.

I booed Navarro as well back in the day. Bob Howry has always been on my "boo" list. I booed him with the Sox. I booed him when he returned to the Cell as a member of the Indians.

Vestigio
10-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much people paid for those tickets? I'm just curious.

But I guess I'd boo if I were dumb enough to pay over $1,000 a ticket for that garbage too. Maybe they were booing themselves. :tongue:

On Fox last night, some guy said he wasted $400 to see the Cubs lose.

JB98
10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I guess it just felt that way when I was at the last game of the playoffs.

We didn't win a game here though, did we?

No, we didn't. We dropped the first two at home. We got back into the series by taking the first two at Toronto, but we dropped Game 5 up there. The series came back to Chicago with the Blue Jays leading 3-2. They beat us in Game 6 in Chicago to end the series.

TDog
10-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Believe me; when I was out there in 1970 hurling zingers at Chuck Tanner and poor Wilbur Wood, they could hear me. ( Sorry Wilbur; I really liked you. Just letting off steam. )

If you booed Chuck Tanner in 1970, you were a true fan. Tanner was only present for a dozen home games in 1970, the team's last homestand. None of the crowds reached 6,000. Three of the games, including a single-ticket doubleheader, drew crowds of less than 700. I have no doubt you could be heard.

Considering that Tanner took over a last-place team in mid-September and had never managed a major league game before losing 5-4 to the first-place Twins on September 18, it seems it would have been mean to boo him then.

I don't believe Tanner would have cared, though. I saw Tanner loudly booed the game before the 1974 All-Star break. But when he smiled and tipped his cap to the crowd, he turned the boos into cheers.

Martinigirl
10-07-2007, 02:33 PM
No, we didn't. We dropped the first two at home. We got back into the series by taking the first two at Toronto, but we dropped Game 5 up there. The series came back to Chicago with the Blue Jays leading 3-2. They beat us in Game 6 in Chicago to end the series.

Thanks.

I knew I was at more than one game in 93 and didn't see any victories, and I vividly remember the last game of the series I started to think I was a jinx when I was at the playoff games in 2000, which we lost as well.

But then 2005 happened and I never saw a loss, so it all balances out in the end.

tebman
10-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I will rarely boo a White Sox player. The only time I do so is when they do not give full effort, hustle, etc.
I do too. I don't understand the line of reasoning that says that somehow it's inappropriate to boo at a sporting event, even at your own team if it's warranted. Like ilsox7, I don't boo losses, but I boo lack of hustle or boneheaded mistakes.

The Cubs deserved the boos they got because they played poorly, not because they lost.

TheVulture
10-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Just asking.

Last I checked, Javy just won 15 games for a 90 loss team. Not exactly a hosing, that trade. Unless you think a .230 hitting CFer would've gotten us over the hump.

TornLabrum
10-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Just asking.

Desi Arnaz, Jr. is very much alive. It's Desi Sr. who is no longer with us.

ChiSoxFan35
10-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Last I checked, Javy just won 15 games for a 90 loss team. Not exactly a hosing, that trade. Unless you think a .230 hitting CFer would've gotten us over the hump.

Those two bullpen arms we gave up would've helped. Plus you can't tell now, and just compare the one 15 win year to a .230 hitting year (yes there are more to his stats than that), he's a rookie, they'll be plenty more great years we'll get to complain over. Not too bad this year either, over 30 HRs as a rookie, wow

RadioheadRocks
10-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I still can't believe they still blame this guy and not the fact the Gonzales couldn't turn a double play to get out of the inning or Dusty Baker for sitting on his butt and not coming out to the mound to settle things down.

Every replay shows other fans reaching in as well, the ball just happened to hit this poor guy's hands. Only 5 outs away....:D:

Exactly, like that other useless turd who also made a grab for the ball, then had the balls to yell at Bartman after the play unfolded.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Those two bullpen arms we gave up would've helped. Plus you can't tell now, and just compare the one 15 win year to a .230 hitting year (yes there are more to his stats than that), he's a rookie, they'll be plenty more great years we'll get to complain over. Not too bad this year either, over 30 HRs as a rookie, wowWe get it. You and your buddies love this guy. Please go away and root for his team. Leave us Sox fans alone. You are unbelievably boring and repetitive. I hope your guy wins the Series every year. Just obsess over him elsewhere...please.

StillMissOzzie
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Exactly, like that other useless turd who also made a grab for the ball, then had the balls to yell at Bartman after the play unfolded.

Maybe he was the douchebag who actually ended up with the ball and ended up selling it for something like $100,000 to the Harry Caray restaurant chain, all the while maintaining HIS anonymity, while Bartman gets drawn and quartered.

Meahwhile, back to the original topic. I disagree with those who say you should never boo your own team. Why, just this year, I know that I booed on more than one occassion for the "best efforts" of Cintron and MacDougal. I'm sure there were others as well. As for the Cub fans, I think the the offensive efforts of their big-money players like Error-Miss, Sore-Knee -ano, and D Lee would have deservedly earned the boo-birds' call.

SMO
:o:

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Why, just this year, I know that I booed on more than one occassion for the "best efforts" of Cintron and MacDougal. I'm sure there were others as well.I'm sure it was very helpful.

StillMissOzzie
10-08-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm sure it was very helpful.
Sure, it turned their seasons around. Did you miss that?

It wasn't intended to help them, but it was quite therapeutic to me!

SMO
:D:

Dick Allen
10-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I wasn't able to attend many games this year, but for the 1st time in quite a while, I booed a Sox player, namely, Andy Gonzalez. It was only the beginning of the game, and people looked at me like I was crazy. I said just you wait. Sure enough, he made an error which let in the eventual winning run.

wassagstdu
10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Those two bullpen arms we gave up would've helped. Plus you can't tell now, and just compare the one 15 win year to a .230 hitting year (yes there are more to his stats than that), he's a rookie, they'll be plenty more great years we'll get to complain over. Not too bad this year either, over 30 HRs as a rookie, wow
Let me get this straight, Juan Uribe, one of the best fielding shortstops in the game, has GOT TO GO (!) but trading Chris Young, with similarly one-dimensional hitting numbers (OK a few more HR) for the current best starting pitcher on the Sox roster was a huge mistake?

[Disclaimer: I am not accusing ChiSoxFan35 of that inconsistency, but it seems to be the consensus of WSI that URIBE MUST GO (!) and that KW should not have "given away" Young.]

eriqjaffe
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I wasn't able to attend many games this year, but for the 1st time in quite a while, I booed a Sox player, namely, Andy Gonzalez. It was only the beginning of the game, and people looked at me like I was crazy. I said just you wait. Sure enough, he made an error which let in the eventual winning run.I booed Joe Borchard back in 2004.

I tried telling people I was saying, "Boooooo-orchard", but nobody was buying it. :D:

soxinem1
10-08-2007, 01:08 PM
In 1983 I remember the team getting applause after BAL eliminated the White Sox.

In 1993 I remember some pretty fierce booing after losing to TOR.

In Y2K I remember a lot of booing after losing the first two games, and the White Sox were not even eliminated yet.

I personally would have a tough time booing a playoff team I was a fan of, but remember, many 'fans' making up the playoff crowds were not the regular season fans. I remember in 1993 and Y2K, I thought Reinsdorf Field was pretty lame, crowd-wise.

I will boo a player like Jaime Navarro, Mike Stanton, Jim Winn, Kirk McCaskill, and many stiffs who were loafs, pricks, or scrubs.

And the real cub fans had every right to boo this team, they were pathetic closing out the season and in this NLDS.

The 'bandwagon' grouping, however, can go back to spending $500 for their seats at the UC for the Bulls now.

D. TODD
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I do too. I don't understand the line of reasoning that says that somehow it's inappropriate to boo at a sporting event, even at your own team if it's warranted. Like ilsox7, I don't boo losses, but I boo lack of hustle or boneheaded mistakes.

The Cubs deserved the boos they got because they played poorly, not because they lost.
They just got beat no need to boo "your team" in my opinion. I
didn't see a lack of hustle, or boneheads plays, so you would be booing the fact that they were outplayed. Seems like the majority of fans "WERE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY WIN OR TIE"

Lip Man 1
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Richard Roeper today:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/593106,CST-NWS-roep08.article

Lip

SOXPHILE
10-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Good article, but I still think the stereotype about the fans being "Cubs Game" fans, and not really Cubs fans, still mostly rings true. In the 4 years since 2003, there's too many examples to even begin with. What HAS changed is the fact that the White Sox won it all in 2005. The one thing both sides had in this town was that despite all the back and forth, was that neither team had won anything in a LONG long time. Then, after 10/26/05, that argument didn't hold water anymore for Cubs fans. Sox had a championship. Cubs (still) didn't. The "fans" now thought it was "their turn". See numerous articles in the Tribune and Sun Times saying just that. More than a few fans said so too. So, now that the Sox have a championship, and the Cubs proceeded the following season to lose 96 games, everybody was shocked, pissed. They stagger to a post season appearance with an 85-77 record, and again, everyone thinks "This is it." Oops. Again, no. For the past few years now, they are realizing that, hey, other teams like the White Sox, Red Sox, and the expansion Marlins (2X) and Diamondbacks have won it, WHERE'S OURS ?!

Hitmen77
10-08-2007, 06:11 PM
As usual, good article by Roeper.

However, there is a disconnect in what he is saying about Cub fans. On the one hand, they are getting more disgruntled and quick to boo their team and yet.....THESE ARE THE SAME ASSCLOWNS WHO RAN ONTO THE STREETS A WEEK AGO ACTING LIKE AN 84 WIN DIVISION TITLE WAS A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

Cub fans, you can't have it both ways. You can't run around gloating to Sox fans as your team coasts to a division title just a few games above .500 and then put on the "we're shocked and angry" bullcrap when your team doesn't advance against a better team.

...and don't tell me there isn't an overlap between the booing fans and the fans who celebrated a week ago because you know that many are one and the same.

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Richard Roeper today:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/593106,CST-NWS-roep08.article

Lip

I love the "UBI EST MEA" provided by Mike Royko... maybe they can use it to replace that dopey "EAMUS CATULI" sign.

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I love the "UBI EST MEA" provided by Mike Royko... maybe they can use it to replace that dopey "EAMUS CATULI" sign.

What does Ubi Est Mea mean?

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

"Where's mine?"

WhiteSoxRich
10-08-2007, 09:35 PM
What does the sign "EAMUS CATULI" mean? I saw pictures of that sign in some dfferent links, but never noticed it when I have been at the urinal for Sox/cubs games

rookie
10-08-2007, 09:38 PM
What does the sign "EAMUS CATULI" mean? I saw pictures of that sign in some dfferent links, but never noticed it when I have been at the urinal for Sox/cubs games

"Eamus Catuli" means "Go Cubs" in latin. Why do I know this? Because everytime there is a crosstown series game at Wrigley that is a national broadcast, Cub lovers Josh Lewin or Thom Breneman mention it EVERY single time. Losing pride. Only at Wrigley.:rolleyes:

There you go. I didn't know either.

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Supposedly it's some sort of Latin that roughly means Go Cubs. I'm thinking it's more like "Eat More Cactus". :D:

MarySwiss
10-08-2007, 10:43 PM

Here's a thought. How about a sign that says, "Mea Sucks"?

eriqjaffe
10-08-2007, 10:53 PM
"Quis Ustulo?"

I'll give you three guesses as to what that should roughly translate to. :cool:

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2007, 11:04 PM
"Quis Ustulo?"

I'll give you three guesses as to what that should roughly translate to. :cool:

Quesadilla? :D:

LITTLE NELL
10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
As usual, good article by Roeper.

However, there is a disconnect in what he is saying about Cub fans. On the one hand, they are getting more disgruntled and quick to boo their team and yet.....THESE ARE THE SAME ASSCLOWNS WHO RAN ONTO THE STREETS A WEEK AGO ACTING LIKE AN 84 WIN DIVISION TITLE WAS A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

Cub fans, you can't have it both ways. You can't run around gloating to Sox fans as your team coasts to a division title just a few games above .500 and then put on the "we're shocked and angry" bullcrap when your team doesn't advance against a better team.

...and don't tell me there isn't an overlap between the booing fans and the fans who celebrated a week ago because you know that many are one and the same.
Lets give credit where credits due; it was an astounding 85 wins.

Steelrod
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
It's about time their fans see the team and ticket prices as what they are. To upgrage what they already have will cause steep increases in ticket prices. The backloaded contracts are going to catch up with them. The current roster will be 150-160 in a few years. Lets see if their fans will quietly pony up.

spiffie
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
It's about time their fans see the team and ticket prices as what they are. To upgrage what they already have will cause steep increases in ticket prices. The backloaded contracts are going to catch up with them. The current roster will be 150-160 in a few years. Lets see if their fans will quietly pony up.
Considering the open market prices for their prime dates, the Cubs are wildly undervaluing their tickets. Yes, there'd be some backlash, but if they decided to double the price of every ticket in the stadium for weekend games, Sox games, Cardinal games, and a few other prime dates, they would still sell out most likely. The team may not be good, but the marketing machine is the best in the world (well, except maybe outside of Boston).

SOXPHILE
10-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I forgot to ask, but does anyone know if they blared the "Go Cubs Go" song over the loudspeakers after Saturday's game ?