PDA

View Full Version : All-Tucson NLCS

Viva Medias B's
10-07-2007, 12:56 AM
The Hi Corbett Field Rockies will take on the TEP Park Diamondbacks in the 2007 NLCS. I wish our Sox were in the ALCS, but me the Tucson fan cannot complain about this!

Take that, Maricopa!!!!

ilsox7
10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
TBS executives must be hanging themselves right about now. The match-up in the NLCS they did not want. Two sweeps in the Division Series thus far. And two more on the way tomorrow.

Viva Medias B's
10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
TBS executives must be hanging themselves right about now.

Oh what a shame that must be!!!

HomeFish
10-07-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm thinking of investing in a Colorado Rockies cap for when they come to Boston to play in the World Series.

ilsox7
10-07-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm thinking of investing in a Colorado Rockies cap for when they come to Boston to play in the World Series.

So we can now eliminate Colorado and Boston from this year's playoffs . . .

:redneck

StillMissOzzie
10-07-2007, 01:02 AM
TBS executives must be hanging themselves right about now. The match-up in the NLCS they did not want. Two sweeps in the Division Series thus far. And two more on the way tomorrow.

What a double-whammy for TBS. Two series have gone the minimum with the NL sweeps, and the AL might follow suit tomorrow. No added revenue or built-in drama with a 4 or 5 game series. Then, they get 3 of the 4 teams they probably didn't want to move on, to do just that. That's a shame.

SMO
:gulp:

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm thinking of investing in a Colorado Rockies cap for when they come to Boston to play in the World Series.Thanks Homefish!

Lip Man 1
10-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Let's see...

Cubs...GONE
Yankees...down 2-0

Red Sox? Probably advancing to the LCS.

If you're ESPN Radio and Fox you've got to be blanching at the thought of a possible Cleveland-Arizona or Cleveland-Colorado World Series.

Me...I'm laughing hysterically.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2007, 01:37 AM
So we can now eliminate Colorado and Boston from this year's playoffs . . .

:redneck

Thanks Homefish!What? Homefish was so insightful in his analysis of the Cubs/D-Backs match ups!

Dont Stop Belivn
10-07-2007, 04:26 AM
**** TBS. MLB made a huge mistake moving the Divisonal Series to cable. I dont care if the ratings are good right now. Lets look at the ratings once the NLCS is done

ilsox7
10-07-2007, 04:48 AM
**** TBS. MLB made a huge mistake moving the Divisonal Series to cable. I dont care if the ratings are good right now. Lets look at the ratings once the NLCS is done

Moving to cable was not a huge mistake. The vast majority of people who would watch the playoffs have cable anyways.

WSox597
10-07-2007, 08:34 AM
If you're ESPN Radio and Fox you've got to be blanching at the thought of a possible Cleveland-Arizona or Cleveland-Colorado World Series.

Me...I'm laughing hysterically.

Me too, after what those two organizations put Sox fans through over the years, I hope it is one of the above match-ups.

The first couple of games on TBS weren't on HD, then lo and behold we get a phone call from Dish Network yesterday morning. TBS is now HD on Dish Network; good timing!

TBS is too much like WGN-TV, a constant barrage of idiotic commercials. I don't like when the Sox are on either 9 or 26 for this reason.

TDog
10-07-2007, 12:33 PM
The Hi Corbett Field Rockies will take on the TEP Park Diamondbacks in the 2007 NLCS. I wish our Sox were in the ALCS, but me the Tucson fan cannot complain about this!

Take that, Maricopa!!!!

It occurred to me after the Rockies surprised me and beat the Padres that this was a possibility, although the Phillies were playing great baseball, and I expected them to win.

It also occurred to me Friday that the only American city playing host to three spring training teams could welcome back three defending World Series champions this decade. If the Rockies beat the Indians in the Series (as I would hope they do if such a matchup occurs, the Rockies would have ousted the team who deserted Hi Corbett before the Rockies made it their spring home.

MarySwiss
10-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Take that, Maricopa!!!!

Silly me; here I was thinking the games were going to be played in Denver and Phoenix. Last time I checked, Phoenix was in Maricopa. :cool:

fusillirob1983
10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
It's really a shame if people don't want to watch the Rockies and D'backs. I honestly think it'll be an exciting series, especially watching these guys play this past week.

MarySwiss
10-07-2007, 04:00 PM
It's really a shame if people don't want to watch the Rockies and D'backs. I honestly think it'll be an exciting series, especially watching these guys play this past week.
Well, those games figure to be on late back in the East and Midwest. But I agree; it should be a great series! :smile:

manders_01
10-07-2007, 04:48 PM
So this is probably a silly thing to notice but the 07 NLCS will be played by two state named teams. Don't know if that's ever happened before but just thought it was interesting.

TDog
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
So this is probably a silly thing to notice but the 07 NLCS will be played by two state named teams. Don't know if that's ever happened before but just thought it was interesting.

As long as you're thinking about silly things to notice ...

The states are contiguous, if only at single point, large sections, if not all of the states, used to be claimed by Mexico, and a river bearing the name of one of the states is the biggest economic trigger to the other state -- the Colorado River making the Arizona desert bloom and spurring tourism, forming the Grand Canyon, backing up into Lake Powell and providing a transplanted setting for the London Bridge.

(Ironically, Tucson doesn't get Colorado River water from the Central Arizona Project.)

Both the Diamondbacks and Rockies were born in the 1990s. And if the Rockies get to the World Series every National League team, except for the Nationals/Expos, no matter their age, would have been to the World Series since there were only half as many National League teams, four fewer states and no broadcast media when the Cubs last won the World Series nearly a century ago.

In 1908, the most well-known person coming from Arizona was Geronimo, who was still living at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Imaging telling someone on the day only 6,210 paid to see the second and last Cubs World Series-clinching victory that Arizona would win the World Series before the Cubs win another and beat them in 99 years to prevent them from having a chance to win their third World Series.

That's probably too silly, but as much grief as I've taken from Cubs fans, I would take the time to share them with Cubs fans, given the opportunity.

Hitmen77
10-08-2007, 12:15 AM

As long as you're thinking about silly things to notice ...

The states are contiguous, if only at single point, ....

Yes - two "Four Corners" states will be in the NLCS.

Both the Diamondbacks and Rockies were born in the 1990s. And if the Rockies get to the World Series every National League team, except for the Nationals/Expos, no matter their age, would have been to the World Series since there were only half as many National League teams, four fewer states and no broadcast media when the Cubs last won the World Series nearly a century ago.

I love it. Here's hoping the Rockies win the NL Pennant this year and then we'll enjoy the White Sox vs. Nationals World Series in '08.:D:

If I'm not mistaken, if the Rockies win the NLCS that will mean every NL team will have won a pennant since 1979 (when the Pirates last won it) except for the Cubs and Nationals/Expos.

TDog
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
... If I'm not mistaken, if the Rockies win the NLCS that will mean every NL team will have won a pennant since 1979 (when the Pirates last won it) except for the Cubs and Nationals/Expos.

When I was a kid in the summer of 1969, and San Diego and Seattle were last place expansion teams who seemed to have hopeless futures, I remember using the phrase "when the Padres and the Pilots play in the World Series" as a substitute for "when hell freezes over." Of course the Pilots would become the Brewers in 1970 and finish ahead of the White Sox in a last-place race that wasn't close. The Brewers even got to the World Series before the White Sox and the Padres got to the World Series a couple of years after that, coming from behind to beat the Cubs, who everyone believed was headed to the postseason, if not the World Series, the summer we were ripping on the Padres and Pilots as jokes. And sandwiched in between was the year Tito Landrum kept the White Sox from going to the World Series with a thud.

White Sox fans are upset about the way the 2007 season came out, of course. But it still feels good to know my team has won a World Series in my lifetime. Even the Padres and Pilots/Brewers haven't done that.

I dislike cocky fans, even if they cheer for my team. While some fans were talking about how 2005 would begin a championship-filled era for the White Sox, I relished the title as if it could be the only one in my lifetime -- not that I believe it will be, but because I've seen enough major league baseball seasons to know that no matter how good the White Sox may be, championships don't come easy. In fact, there is a team that is in it's 15th season that has won twice as many championships as the White Sox have won since World War I, and they have never finished in first place.

RealSox08
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Take that, Maricopa!!!!

Olga Corbett field is a dump, TEP rocks.But it is cool, both teams made it.
Im looking forward to Glendale's park for the DODGERS and The WSOX!!!

TDog
10-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Olga Corbett field is a dump, TEP rocks.But it is cool, both teams made it.
Im looking forward to Glendale's park for the DODGERS and The WSOX!!!

TEP was built because Hi Corbett is lacking. I've seen a couple of Tucson Toros games in Hi Corbett in the 1970s and 1980s and a couple of Sox spring training games in TEP in the 1990s. I've had the opportunity to play in both. I like TEP. I'm sure the new ballpark in Glendale will meet its standards, but I will miss Tucson and its convenience.

SBSoxFan
10-09-2007, 09:53 AM

I want to watch them, and I can't (at least from the comfort of my own home). I think that's a shame as well.